Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   What Truck bed cover do you prefer? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/what-truck-bed-cover-do-you-prefer-217118.html)

Powerrunner 11-28-2020 11:59 AM

What Truck bed cover do you prefer?

Looking to install a bed cover for my F250, which ones do you like?

jaybauman 11-28-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerrunner (Post 2436400)

I love my Diamondback HD. It is rated to carry 1600 lbs. on top of the cover.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...628e1b87_z.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...914f4ae3_z.jpg

lsawye01 11-28-2020 12:36 PM

I have a Roll-N-Lock All aluminum, water proof and it locks. Also it takes up but a few inches of bed space near the the cab. The only drawback is that they
are expensive but you will love the results.

Dennis C 11-28-2020 01:09 PM

I’ve got the Retrax rolling aluminum cover on my truck bed, and I love it. It works very well for me.

matthewk 11-28-2020 01:10 PM

Retrax Pro XR

Powerrunner 11-28-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsawye01 (Post 2436417)
I have a Roll-N-Lock All aluminum, water proof and it locks. Also it takes up but a few inches of bed space near the the cab. The only drawback is that they
are expensive but you will love the results.

That looks great, not seen this one on my search.

JonDNC 11-28-2020 02:08 PM

Retrax as well. Great cover.

Powerrunner 11-28-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewk (Post 2436432)
Retrax Pro XR

Been looking at this one.

Kevin245 11-28-2020 02:25 PM

Ditto for DiamondBack. Had an ARE fiberglass tonneau on our old SCrew and loved it, but the functionality and durability of the DiamondBack is unmatched for our application. It converts easily, can haul hundreds of pounds of gear/materials on top of it, and the Line-X coating is tough as nails.

PB_NB 11-28-2020 02:28 PM

I have a Diamondback HD as well and it works well for putting heavy items on top of it. It doesn't roll up but that is the trade off for carrying capacity on top of it. We carry heavy items on it for our work otherwise it might be too much just for recreational use.

They do have a lighter duty version as well but it doesn't roll up either.

They have recently launched a bunch of accessories as well for carrying all sorts of things.

www.diamondbackcovers.com if you are interested.

FishByFly 11-28-2020 06:45 PM

Iím on my third truck with a roll n lock. Iíve looked at others but returned to this. Though the housing takes up some space, there is a good bit of room under the housing that I store ramps, a removable winch, and other miscellaneous items.

I learned the only downside of the roll n lock after I moved to Chicagoland from Texas. Freezing winter. My bed cover would be frozen for much of Jan-April. When I needed to open/close, I would go to the Carwash. Once I went through, I could open. When I needed to close, had to go back to the Carwash.

Joyman 11-28-2020 06:49 PM

I also vote for The diamond back. Looks sharp and the carry weight!

majorairhead 11-28-2020 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked at all the mentioned covers here, and many more. Tri-folds, hard tops, roll ups, Paragon, Diamondback, Retrax, Electric, Manual, you name it.

The Diamondback was nearly my pick, and real close to that was the Undercover Ridgelander. HOWEVER....

I wound up putting a LEER cap on. Main reason was to keep my bikes dry. I put in a nice bedrug, and keep my ladder, tools, grill, propane, and lots of other goodies in there. It's like a portable garage :D

Good luck, cuz the possibilities are mind boggling!

JTMurph10 11-28-2020 10:20 PM

Retrax Pro

ROBERTSUNRUS 11-29-2020 02:40 AM

:) Hi, Retrax Pro.

SpinWhite 11-29-2020 06:45 AM

If you carry a generator make sure it will fit under the bed topper. Our Honda 2000 had to be positioned just right but it still pushed against the material.

AgBullet 11-29-2020 07:15 AM

All listed are probably great. I like the BakFlip tri-fold myself.

ExploreUT 11-29-2020 08:11 AM

What Truck bed cover do you prefer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerrunner (Post 2436400)

Had the RetraxPro on prior truck for 6 years. Bed length was 5í 7Ē and the 10 inches for the cover case took space away. That would be less than of an issue in your longer F250 bed perhaps. The cover was not waterproof, dripped a little along the side rails during heavy rain and car washes.

Current truck (Ram 2500) has the Diamondback. Really like it and it is waterproof so far. Easy to install and it allows enough height for generator, unlike the RetraxPro.

Also had/have the Bedrug installed on both trucks.

In my case, a cap would have reduced the visibility too much for my liking. However, if you want/need more storage height than a tonneau cover allows for, the cap would be the better choice. For my use cases, the cap wasnít needed.

Also, some caps are heavier than others, not sure if you require all available payload capacity, but an extra 150-200 lbs relative to a tonneau cover might be a consideration too.

In any case, food for thought. Good luck.

GetawA-S 11-29-2020 08:40 AM

Have you considered a cap? We have the ARE MX (steps up toward the back). On the road, it integrates nicely with the trailer (like a deflector) and provides enough height for me to fit our trikes in on a shelf, leaving all the bed space for other stuff.
The rack on top lets me haul the kayaks partially above the cab, eliminating interference from the trailer.
The windows let me ventilate it to keep the temperature down when parked in the sun.

haggis 11-29-2020 08:49 AM

Very happy with the BakFlip MX4. I didn’t want to give up the cargo space for the roll-top and I really like the look of the BakFlip, from the side you can barely tell there is a tonneau there.