Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/)
-   -   Jack is a little crooked (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/jack-is-a-little-crooked-216212.html)

Planenut 10-30-2020 07:39 PM

Jack is a little crooked
 
1 Attachment(s)
My jack is a little crooked. Not as much as the flag pole indicates as it is a loose fit and exaggerates the lean.

Any ideas or suggestions on straightening it?

Thanks to John Leake “Sandlapper” for the flag pole holder...

GCinSC2 10-30-2020 07:49 PM

Is the jack plate on top of a star washer and that is tipping the jack?

Bubba L 10-30-2020 08:02 PM

If it’s not the star washer as GCinSC2 pointed out, you could loosen the bolts and add some stainless steel washers as shims to plumb it straight.

jaybauman 10-30-2020 08:09 PM

There are worse kinds of crooked jacks...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9a06c23821.jpg

Kawboy01 10-31-2020 11:07 AM

Your jack looks mounted sideways. Did you do the modification?

Planenut 10-31-2020 11:58 AM

Mine came mounted that way but I understand a lot of people turn them to make room for the flag pole holder.

I will look for a star washer but I’m not familiar with that.

Thanks

GCinSC2 10-31-2020 01:37 PM

Planenut,

Some directions suggest putting a toothed (star) washer between coupler and jack post plate for grounding purposes. Bites into both metal surfaces. It COULD shim the jack and cause the tilt you're reporting.

The idea of using a purposefully placed washer as Bubba L suggested to correct the tilt is a decent idea too.

Might as well inspect coupler to jack mounting plate for bends etc.

Gary

majorairhead 10-31-2020 02:14 PM

To this old eyes that flagpole looks way more out of plumb than that jack post.

Yeah, the jack post might not be exact, but that flag pole there, something doesn't look right. It's leaning more than the jack post.

JMHO

guskmg 10-31-2020 04:52 PM

Mine was side ways and bent. Forgetting to raise the jack before attempting departure will do that, leaving a big deep furrow in the roadway. Lesson #4691 and counting.
guskmg

Planenut 10-31-2020 07:15 PM

The flag pole holder to flag pole has a little slop so it exaggerates the lean... a little Tape to tighten the fit will take a lot out.

I see a small gap on one side where it is bolted down but no star washer. Perhaps I can shim it up and tighten up a bit.

Thanks.


Quote:

Originally Posted by majorairhead (Post 2428055)
To this old eyes that flagpole looks way more out of plumb than that jack post.

Yeah, the jack post might not be exact, but that flag pole there, something doesn't look right. It's leaning more than the jack post.

JMHO


GCinSC2 11-01-2020 09:33 AM

Try cutting sleeves from a plastic coffee container. Wrap them around the pole and slide in to flag holder.

I have same holder just three pole version.

Mollysdad 11-01-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCinSC2 (Post 2428046)
Some directions suggest putting a toothed (star) washer between coupler and jack post plate for grounding purposes. Bites into both metal surfaces. It COULD shim the jack and cause the tilt you're reporting.

I've heard that theory, and although it's good for grounding, I never do that. It allows water to puddle in the space and develop rust. I put the star washers on top of the jack mounting plate. I use grade 8 bolts and they don't rust and seem to chase the threads in the frame so I have a good connection.
When I'm king, I'll order all jacks to be two wire.:brows:

aftermath 11-01-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorairhead (Post 2428055)
To this old eyes that flagpole looks way more out of plumb than that jack post.

Yeah, the jack post might not be exact, but that flag pole there, something doesn't look right. It's leaning more than the jack post.

JMHO




That is what I thought as well. Jack looks straight enough to me. :blink:

GCinSC2 11-01-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollysdad (Post 2428343)
I've heard that theory, and although it's good for grounding, I never do that. It allows water to puddle in the space and develop rust. I put the star washers on top of the jack mounting plate. I use grade 8 bolts :


We’re on the same page. My comment was for troubleshooting an angled jack post.

Not how to install it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.