Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Surge protector is bad (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/surge-protector-is-bad-216182.html)

Jtom 10-29-2020 07:39 PM

Surge protector is bad

Jtom
1 Rivet Member
Surge protector
I have a 2019 Flying Cloud that we got in January 2020. Bought a surge PI Ems 50 watt surge protector. We immediately started havIng problems with one of our ACs and microwave tripping the breaker. We took it in the Airstream Dealer and they checked everything without the surge protector and they work. They tried the surge protector and the AC and the microwave flipped the breaker and fried the microwave....the dealer said the surge protector was causing surge, thus flipping the break and frying the microwave. I can understand a surge p, not functioning, but how can it cause surges? Just trying to figure this out. Iím Progressive Industries about a refund or exchange....any guidance would be helpful...thanks

overlander63 10-29-2020 07:47 PM

If you're trying to run your trailer with a 50 watt surge protector, that's probably the issue. 50 watts is barely enough to run a few light bulbs, and maybe a laptop charger.
Are you sure it's only 50 watts?

waninae39 10-29-2020 07:50 PM

I think that's a typo.

i assume he meant 50A

azflycaster 10-29-2020 09:00 PM

I have a 30 amp PI EMS unit which was damaged by a power surge. I found the customer support at PI to be very knowledgeable and focused on solving my problem. A new unit was shipped to me while on the road. Problem solved.

BayouBiker 10-29-2020 09:45 PM

A poorly functioning surge protector could cause low voltage on the branch circuits leading to issues you describe. You could verify low voltage or trust the tech and go for a warrantee replacement.

kpfate 10-30-2020 10:06 AM

Are you plugged into shore power at home, or has it happened at a specific park or multiple?

There may be a problem at the source in which you are plugged into that is causing the 50 amp protector issues.

uncle_bob 10-30-2020 10:09 AM

Hi

It's possible for *any* piece of gear to be bad / go bad. If indeed you have a Progressive Industries 50A EMS, they have a good warranty on them. Give them a call and see how it goes.

Bob

waninae39 10-30-2020 10:12 AM

Progressive Industries EMS have very good support and warrantees.

give them a call, and they will likely send you a new one at no charge

DaveG 10-30-2020 01:08 PM

OP said: "They tried the surge protector and the AC and the microwave flipped the breaker and fried the microwave....the dealer said the surge protector was causing surge, thus flipping the break and frying the microwave."
Hard to know from the description what actually happened. Thoughts about it as described: 'Surge' and 'Fried' need definitions. How would a surge protector create a spike in voltage (surge) or disturbance to the waveform? Fried suggests the result of a surge. The protector clamps high voltage and diverts it to ground which is to the breaker an overcurrent condition and causes it to trip. The speed (clamping) of the surge by the protector can be slower than the spike in voltage and damage both a sensitive device like a microwave circuit board and the protector itself. Could be there was a surge? Do the techs know and understand the inner workings of the parts they determine are bad and replace? Low voltage will most likely cause harm to an electric motor. If voltage drops then current rises as the rotor slows and heat rises in the motor windings leading to damage.

Buckless 10-30-2020 01:28 PM

Years ago when I first purchased a home computer they recommended a surge protector with battery backup that a computer should be turned off properly so I had that also.
While using the surge protector the protector would shut down often without warning. Not good at all.
I have not used one since and have never had an issue with electronics tearing up because of a surge. They usually tear up from cheap components.

guskmg 10-31-2020 03:28 PM

I have had good warranty service from Southwire/"Surge Gaurd" protectors. They gladly replaced mine after a strike with the latest model.
guskmg