Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/)
-   -   Does anyone know if a AC UNIT in 2018+ 19CB will work with batteries removed? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/does-anyone-know-if-a-ac-unit-in-2018-19cb-will-work-with-batteries-removed-216181.html)

JJTX 10-29-2020 06:59 PM

Does anyone know if a AC UNIT in 2018+ 19CB will work with batteries removed?
 
Search turned up nothing.

During the summer months I was thinking about pulling the batteries in and keeping them cool for the hot summers as we dont go camping in 115 heat indexes for 3-4 months.

I completely forgot today to test it when I changed out to new batteries.:(

Anyone know if the AC unit will work if I yank the batteries, while plugged into 30a?

wulfraat 10-29-2020 07:15 PM

Yes it will so long as your converter is working properly to supply 12v to the trailer and the CCC2 thermostat / controller.

JJTX 10-29-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 2427549)
Yes it will so long as your converter is working properly to supply 12v to the trailer and the CCC2 thermostat / controller.


I almost forgot that it uses DC power. Good to know. I think then my plan is to pull them out and keep them out of the heat this summer, thanks for the reply.:cool:

wulfraat 10-29-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJTX (Post 2427561)
I almost forgot that it uses DC power. Good to know. I think then my plan is to pull them out and keep them out of the heat this summer, thanks for the reply.:cool:



Just note that legally, you do need them for emergency trailer brake activation if disaster strikes and the trailer separates from the TV.

JJTX 10-29-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 2427562)
Just note that legally, you do need them for emergency trailer brake activation if disaster strikes and the trailer separates from the TV.


It's parked for 3+ months. We don't use it. Sort of like now, during the winter for people in the north. Except, I do it during the summer when its 115F index.

pcskier 10-29-2020 08:13 PM

Tape up/protect the positive battery lug since the converter/charger will be sending current to the cables (this might depend on the position of your use/store switch however. Whether or not that isolates the batteries from charging seems to be a moving target with different Airstreams. Best bet is to shut off the converter--unless you leave your AC running and need the 12v for the thermostat.

JJTX 10-29-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcskier (Post 2427573)
Tape up/protect the positive battery lug since the converter/charger will be sending current to the cables (this might depend on the position of your use/store switch however. Whether or not that isolates the batteries from charging seems to be a moving target with different Airstreams. Best bet is to shut off the converter--unless you leave your AC running and need the 12v for the thermostat.


Yeah I had planned on taping them up if I did it.

The AC is on to keep my trailer from reaching 110F inside. It's under a carport in the shade. I set it to 86 this summer and it was able to keep it pretty decent in there. Its moisture control more than 'cooling'. I've never tried to run the AC with the store-mode on.

Between Early OCT and Mid April is our camping season.

Wazbro 10-30-2020 11:34 AM

With a 2018 running on the converter isn't a problem. The older converters need the battery to stabilize the voltage. Of course it is a good idea to replace those older converters for other reasons.

guskmg 10-31-2020 03:35 PM

I believe the DC will work fine as long as your trailer does not have the old Uni-ivolt converters.
guskmg

JJTX 11-01-2020 05:01 AM

Thanks again. I think bringing them inside for the hot months here will extend their lifespan.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.