Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2018 - Current Globetrotter (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/)
-   -   Winterizing, loss of hot water, and the mixing valve. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/winterizing-loss-of-hot-water-and-the-mixing-valve-216158.html)

RCC 10-29-2020 06:00 AM

Winterizing, loss of hot water, and the mixing valve.

2 Attachment(s)
With all of the discussions about winterizing and locating the bypass valve at the water heater in the various models of Globetrotter I thought it would be a good time to also mention the hot water mixing valve that is used on these newer models.

While you are fiddling with that bypass valve it would behoove you to figure out how you can get to (and remove if you ever need to...) the mixing valve that is adjacent to it. I bring this up in the spirit of “chance favors the prepared mind...”.

As hot water leaves the tank going into that mixing valve it passes through a fine filter screen at the valve. Several have posted here about it becomming plugged with crud and the resulting loss of hot water. It has happened to me and will, of course, only occur while you are camping in the middle of nowhere. Mine was plugged with chips of plastic, gel-like calcium deposts, and other debris. We always use camco filters on the hose whether using city water or filling the tank so i suspect this crud was in pipes and tank from assembly ( kind of like the new rivets and screws i have found in my slinky that washed out of the gray and black tanks). In any event, once you have access to the mixing valve and can see how it is connected it is easy to remove it, clean the screen, and reassemble—if you have to while camping.

The symptoms will be: when a hot water faucet is turned on the initial pressure and flow of water will equal what you get with the cold side. But after running for 30 seconds or so the flow rate of the hot water drops to a trickle. If you turn the water off for a few seconds and then back on it happens again—reasonable initial flow and pressure from the hot then drops to a trickle. Cold water is not affected. This situation is never good for the mood of the wet soapy naked person in the shower.

The valve screws into the hot water tank. A white cold water line connects to it from below. The red line out carries hot water to the camper. The red line has a washer/gasket that might stick to the valve and might stay with the pipe. Don’t lose it. You will need a full sized crescent wrench and some thread sealing tape. Fill a small bucket or bowl with water before you begin so you have water to rinse off the valve’s screen. The pictures are from my 2019 Globetrotter 25’FBQ where the water heater is partially under the bed and access is from under the bedroom wardrobe and drawers.

Attachment 382135

Attachment 382136

milesinmyles 03-29-2021 08:58 AM

I seem to have the same problem. How hard was your valve to screw out of the tank? Mine won’t budge and I’m afraid of breaking something or snapping it.

RCC 04-01-2021 07:47 PM

It was pretty tight but a long crescent wrench placed tightly on the brass adapter in the second picture did the trick. A pipe wrench would work too. Subsequent removals have been necessary and are much easier.

Dennis C 04-01-2021 10:42 PM

I used a 10” pipe wrench to remove mine. I couldn’t budge it with a crescent wrench.

brick1 04-02-2021 08:27 AM

On my 2018 Serenity 28 the HW heater and valve is under the front sofa, roadside, beside the sink. The plywood seat base for the cushion must be removed to have full access.