Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Classic Motorhomes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/)
-   -   Dorothy- 1982 310 Motorhome (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/dorothy-1982-310-motorhome-216099.html)

barrinea 10-27-2020 11:55 AM

Dorothy- 1982 310 Motorhome
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!
I am so excited to say we bought my dream motorhome about two months ago. She is a 1982 310 rear twin bed model with center bath. I have extensively used the forums to begin bringing her back to life! I appreciate all the advice here so I thought I would share what we are working on.
1- we have removed all the curtains and valances
2- we removed the couch and had it refoamed and reupulstered. We also were able to remove all the nests and pecans the squirrels had brought in over the years.
3- the flooring was removed by the previous owner. subfloor is good except in the passenger side floorboard.

Our intent is to keep it largely original. We did have to remove the captains chairs and have purchased lightly used flexsteel chairs to replace the damaged ones. The engine is new. The previous owner had replaced the engine and the transmission already.

Current issues we are troubleshooting
1- the generator doesn't have gas flow. We can get it to run if we disconnect from the main tank, so we think maybe a clog there?
2- leak in the main cab area. The passenger side has a leak that is showing up on the floor with quite a bit of water. However, I have yet to narrow it down. I have resealed the windows and I just replaced all the seals and gaskets on that slider window this weekend. I have sealed the seam above the cab as well. We just had rain and it is still getting in. I'm a bit at a loss. We water tested it before i did the window and thought we had it narrowed down. Any suggestions are welcome

There is a damaged/indented area right above the passenger side. It looks to me like either something fell on it or someone pressed down to hard. The search light I'm still suspicious that it might be causing an issue. We aren't planning to gut the cab, so I'm a little weary to remove the plastic skin and the aluminum skin to roll the dent out from the inside. Not sure how or if I should fix that.

The engine runs great. We are still figuring out the electrical and making sure to have it all working properly. We haven't been able to see if the AC's will come on yet. Or when we have tried they aren't working but we are thinking we are just missing a piece.

This is our first RV. We are so excited! I am sure to continue to use the forums for help and advice.

I'm attaching some original photos. I will update with how she looks today.

dadstoy 10-27-2020 12:01 PM

Awesome! Please keep the posts and lots of photos coming!

chiefair 10-27-2020 05:12 PM

Looks great!

Magnet18 10-27-2020 06:08 PM

Nice, looks great, you got the good awning package!

Rear AC will work on generator likely, front will have a selector switch above the sink

Magnet18 10-27-2020 06:19 PM

For your passenger leak, grab some trempro 635, amd reseal the marker lights and spotlight, and maybe around the windshield. While you're up there... Everything will need fresh sealant. It's not that big a job really.

For the generator, its common for the gas line from the tank to be squashed and not let fuel flow, highly recommended you replace all the rubber fuel lines anyway, as the new gas makes them brittle and crack causing more than a couple documented fires

PeterH-350LE 10-27-2020 06:26 PM

congratulations on your 310 . They are a fun version of the classic MH assortment. I owned and restored one myself.

If the generators runs with an external supply line, you have either less than a quarter tank of fuel or a disconnected fuel line somewhere on the way or

at the tank. The pickup tube only goes down 3/4 of the tank. I have also seen the pickup tube broken off inside the tank.

The passenger side floor leak is common to all the classics, some more than others. The side windows are difficult to seal, have very small drain holes and are hard to operate. In later years Airstream installed a metal tube to drain the window channels. Water travels and can come all the way from your front roof AC. The heater core is right in front of the passenger seat, make sure it doesn't leak.

If you plan on removing the big ABS curved ceiling cover to push the dent out, you will have a chance to observe what may be going on with leaks.

kidjedi 10-28-2020 10:12 AM

I recently replaced the entire fuel delivery system in my 1975 Argosy MH. The previous owner had cut a hole in the floor for an access panel to the top of the fuel tank (you will need access to the top of the tank to assess and repair your generator fuel delivery issue). Having access to the tank sender and all the fuel connections made my work infinitely easier (vs. dropping the tank for these repairs and maintenance). I highly recommend this modification for work that you will do now and in the future; just make sure that you have a good plan for how you will seal the access panel back up.

doctorlewis 10-28-2020 03:31 PM

Good luck on your restoration!! It looks like you are going to have a great motorhome. It is hard to not appreciate the classics.

barrinea 11-09-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer (Post 2426837)
congratulations on your 310 . They are a fun version of the classic MH assortment. I owned and restored one myself.

If the generators runs with an external supply line, you have either less than a quarter tank of fuel or a disconnected fuel line somewhere on the way or

at the tank. The pickup tube only goes down 3/4 of the tank. I have also seen the pickup tube broken off inside the tank.

The passenger side floor leak is common to all the classics, some more than others. The side windows are difficult to seal, have very small drain holes and are hard to operate. In later years Airstream installed a metal tube to drain the window channels. Water travels and can come all the way from your front roof AC. The heater core is right in front of the passenger seat, make sure it doesn't leak.

If you plan on removing the big ABS curved ceiling cover to push the dent out, you will have a chance to observe what may be going on with leaks.



Thank you for the suggestions!
I took time and resealed the spot light and all the clearance lights. Also I did all the seams and the windshield too. We are expecting rain the next few days so that should test it!

barrinea 11-09-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnet18 (Post 2426833)
For your passenger leak, grab some trempro 635, amd reseal the marker lights and spotlight, and maybe around the windshield. While you're up there... Everything will need fresh sealant. It's not that big a job really.

For the generator, its common for the gas line from the tank to be squashed and not let fuel flow, highly recommended you replace all the rubber fuel lines anyway, as the new gas makes them brittle and crack causing more than a couple documented fires



Thank you!
I have seen some of the stories and photos of some very scary fires situations. This is on our list to address very soon.

barrinea 11-12-2020 08:16 PM

Leak update-
Well, She still leaks. I caulked around the windshield, front windows, search light, horns, seams. Everything in the front cab area should be sealed tight.
The floorboard on the passenger side is just as bad as ever.

I will just have to work my way back I guess and keep sealing. I havenít done the ACís or the antenna or the vents yet.

barrinea 11-12-2020 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 383131

PeterH-350LE 11-12-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrinea (Post 2432012)
Leak update-
Well, She still leaks. I caulked around the windshield, front windows, search light, horns, seams. Everything in the front cab area should be sealed tight.
The floorboard on the passenger side is just as bad as ever.

I will just have to work my way back I guess and keep sealing. I havenít done the ACís or the antenna or the vents yet.


that reminds me of my first Airstream MH, a 1979 28'. I chased a leak for a long time and could see it dripping down in the front right.
It appeared to be running down from in between the windshield and the right cockpit window coming from nowhere.
Eventually I was fed up with trying to find the source and installed a small funnel and a drain line through the floor. Never had a wet floor again.:)

barrinea 11-12-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer (Post 2432016)
that reminds me of my first Airstream MH, a 1979 28'. I chased a leak for a long time and could see it dripping down in the front right.
It appeared to be running down from in between the windshield and the right cockpit window coming from nowhere.
Eventually I was fed up with trying to find the source and installed a small funnel and a drain line through the floor. Never had a wet floor again.:)



Oh my gosh- YES!
We just talked about installing some sort of drain if we canít figure it out. It is leaking exactly there. It runs down that metal piece between the windshield and the passenger window. It doesnít look like much water but you see the results. It doesnít drip from anywhere either.

We may have to just move to that if we canít figure it out.

Air345Fly 11-13-2020 05:25 AM

You might try the process of elimination in chasing down your leak.
Try taping plastic sheeting over the entire front windshield and
see if that stops the leak. Then try moving the sheeting to the
side. Cover from the passenger window back to door. If no
success cover all of the fixtures on the roof.

One by one you should eventually find it.

Magnet18 11-13-2020 07:57 AM

On the outside above the sliding windows, you'll see a row of screws instead of rivets along the top. That part of the frame is sealed to the body with trempro. I found mine to be in need of replacement. Similarly worth checking all the other windows.

bkahler 11-14-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrinea (Post 2432023)
Oh my gosh- YES!
We just talked about installing some sort of drain if we canít figure it out. It is leaking exactly there. It runs down that metal piece between the windshield and the passenger window. It doesnít look like much water but you see the results. It doesnít drip from anywhere either.

We may have to just move to that if we canít figure it out.

Maybe this will help.

Cockpit window water drain

barrinea 01-02-2021 02:05 PM

Ok. Iím making progress on the front leak. Thank you for the link around the drain. I will be looking into that.

New question- we have two Coleman ACís with housing. We havenít been able to get either to work and the housing is broken (badly on the rear). I think it might be our best bet to just replace both with new housing. Iím searching the topic but if anyone has info on what they have used and sizes etc that would be helpful.

We also are going to replace the fuel sensor in the tank since the generator is still having issues staying on when we have it run from the tank (does fine from an external fuel source).

We are dying to get in her and take her somewhere but we are trying to get these few issues resolved.
She doesnít need to be perfect but we need heat, air and generator.

In the meantime, Iíve added some
Photos of our process so far. We had several nests we removed and lots of grime. We have had the couch recovered and purchased new captains chairs. The window you can see there is a large gap between the gasket and the glass of where it should touch I think? I donít know what I did wrong. I triple checked the product ID.
Also does anyone has the trim for the gasket around the outside of the side windows? I got the one on inland RV but it is not what I took out. What I removed is flush and what is there has a wing.

barrinea 01-02-2021 02:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 386028Attachment 386029Attachment 386030Attachment 386031

PeterH-350LE 01-02-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrinea (Post 2446290)
..........The window you can see there is a large gap between the gasket and the glass of where it should touch I think? I donít know what I did wrong. I triple checked the product ID.
Also does anyone has the trim for the gasket around the outside of the side windows? I got the one on inland RV but it is not what I took out. What I removed is flush and what is there has a wing.


there are 2 different types of seals
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...al-209976.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.