Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   Inverter not working (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/inverter-not-working-216014.html)

Whitn37140 10-25-2020 09:47 AM

Inverter not working

2019 flying cloud seems my inverter not working
Everything fine on shore power and when tv running but wont draw from batteries
Plan to get 2 lithium batteries and 3 solar panels at jc next month and have new inverter for lithium 6 k
Also will have a few issues addressed
Is this a good plan

Foiled Again 10-25-2020 10:43 AM

Have you turned it on? The inverter can draw down the batteries severely if the outlets it powers are used inadvertently, so you have to turn it on via a switch in the kitchen, then plug in each device you want to use in an outlet marked Inverter. Only the furnace and overhead lights will draw from the batteries directly, and those will use AC current first if it is available.

A flat screen TV doesn't draw a lot of current, but a toaster, hairdryer or other heat producing appliance will quickly deplete batteries.

I believe having the battery switch in STORE mode would also disable the inverter.

richw46 10-25-2020 12:45 PM

Inverters are directly wired to the batteries, they don't go through the Use/Store switch. They usually have 2-3 dedicated outlets. Mine have a blue label between the 2 plugs on each outlet which says it's for the inverter.

So if you aren't on shore power you need to be plugged into one of them and the inverter switch in the galley has to be turned on. (Don't forget to turn it off or you will run down the batteries if you don't have solar.)

richw46 10-25-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foiled Again (Post 2425766)
Have you turned it on? The inverter can draw down the batteries severely if the outlets it powers are used inadvertently, so you have to turn it on via a switch in the kitchen, then plug in each device you want to use in an outlet marked Inverter. Only the furnace and overhead lights will draw from the batteries directly, and those will use AC current first if it is available.

I can't speak for the Interstate models but the trailer's furnace motor and overhead lights are always 12 VDC. If plugged into shore power the converter provides the 12 VDC. If not on shore power the Use/Store needs to be in Use position to draw power from the batteries for the furnace and lights. (Maybe that's what you're saying and I have misunderstood.) Inverters are wired directly to the battery and can be used even if the Use/Store is in Store position.

Some inverters are plugged into 120 VAC and can power the inverter outlets when the inverter isn't on (pass through), some don't. (Mine is capable of that but there never was a plug provided for it.)

daleyocum 10-25-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitn37140 (Post 2425732)
2019 flying cloud seems my inverter not working
Everything fine on shore power and when tv running but wont draw from batteries
Plan to get 2 lithium batteries and 3 solar panels at jc next month and have new inverter for lithium 6 k
Also will have a few issues addressed
Is this a good plan

Contact Ronnie (GMFL on this forum) to get a competitive bid on your electrical upgrade. Hes based in Alabama and might be able to get you a lot more more your money. Check out the Long Long Honeymoon youtube on their upgrade he did.