Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   Wear hole in our 2019 Tommy Bahama awning (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/wear-hole-in-our-2019-tommy-bahama-awning-215802.html)

Tucker62 10-19-2020 02:22 PM

Wear hole in our 2019 Tommy Bahama awning

3 Attachment(s)
Has anyone else experienced a problem with their relax power awning getting a wear hole in it? We took our 2019 Tommy Bahama in to the dealership and the service technicians took lots of pictures and video and said they hadn't seen this before. We had a 2016 flying cloud and did not have any problems with the awnings. Airstream is going to replace the awning because it is still under warranty. However I want to make sure the problem doesn't happen again. Does anyone have any ideas. Is it wound to tight? Is the seam the reason for the wear hole?

ZOZ 10-19-2020 03:04 PM

Burned Beyond Belief

Looks to me like someone's fire pit had a burning ember which landed on your awning.

zoz

grumblin 10-19-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOZ (Post 2423543)
Looks to me like someone's fire pit had a burning ember which landed on your awning.

zoz

I thought exactly the same thing. Doesn't look like a wear hole.

Tucker62 10-19-2020 04:00 PM

The problem is that at the next 2 seams over it it is beginning wear out also. Its definitely not a burn hole. Notice how the protective plastic shield for the aluminium shell is puckering. That is why I think it could be winding up too tightly.

Glen Carter 10-20-2020 11:03 AM

My guess is that something flew in under the awning and got trapped there when rolled up.

farvernugen 10-20-2020 11:35 AM

Ember burn!

The hole is round, and shows discoloration all around the edge...... A friction wear would not be like this. My 2c. Scott

smmckean 10-20-2020 12:10 PM

I had same issue on my Classic 33; look at the hole in the canvas; it aligns with a rivet that the awning is resting on while traveling (it is caused from friction). Airstream replaced mine, look for a white tase near the upper left for the information that is needed to get the exact replacement. The fix is that there was some heavy clear protective tape that was omitted and should be replaced.

dogfordrd 10-20-2020 04:28 PM

Most likely, it is rubbing on rivets. It happened on our 2018 28RBQ Serenity as well (twice). It's a design flaw in that the rolled up awning rests on the riveted frame of the high, oval windows. Traded up to a 30RBQ...problem solved as there are no windows there on this unit:)

pwlldvd 10-20-2020 09:10 PM

We've not had this problem on our 2018 TB 27, that's with over 25,000 towed miles.

The only problem we've had is when opening it sometimes only goes a foot or two, reverses and stows itself.

cbburke 10-20-2020 10:00 PM

1. If you call Zip Dee with the color number on the tag they will send you a patch of fabric. In my case Airstream production left a kink in the plastic protective strip. Over time that chewed a hole in the fabric. I'll get a strip of plastic from the dealer/Airstream to cover the flaw.
2. Lesson learned on the Relax. When you stop to setup and open the awning, unlock the awning and press CLOSE. This will reset all the control circuits. Then press EXT. The awning on my 2018 has operated faultlessly since I took delivery.

Torpedo Family 10-25-2020 04:38 PM

I have a hole in my Relax awning in the center also. I have not checked for a rivet but will do tomorrow when I put it out. I have already had to replace the motor arms on my Relax, I think Airstream should put the pressure on Zip Dee to fix these awnings to work ALL the time. The Motor Homes and SOB trailers have electric awnings that work consistently.

Tucker62 10-26-2020 08:56 AM

I initially thought the hole was because of a rivet or the puckered clear plastic protective tape. The problem is that there isn’t any rivets along the entire length of the coiled up awning to cause a hole, and when the technicians coiled up the awning it missed the hard plastic edge of the tape. So the mystery continues.......I appreciate all the comments and hearing the experiences of others that have had similar problems with their awnings!