Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/hwy-12-between-bryce-and-capitol-reef-215408.html)

smsasf 10-08-2020 09:24 PM

Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef?

Will be leaving dispersed camping near Bryce on Friday and heading toward Capitol Reef on UT Hwy 12. In Allstays app north of Boulder there is an incline icon and they reference a steep grade. In the information they write “Recommend unhitching tow vehicle”. Puzzling. I am towing 2020 Bambi 20’ that only weights about 4300 lb loaded with a 2020 Tundra 5.7 liter V-8 and I know how to use S4, S3 and have scan gauge to monitor transmissions temps.

Any advice? Should I reconsider using this route?
Thanks, stephen

WP53 10-08-2020 09:42 PM

I have made that drive several times, twice with my Sport 22 pulled by a Ford F150. It is one of the most beautiful drives I have made and is one of my favorites. Steep and winding in places, but it hasn't been an issue. You should do fine, and I envy you the drive! The mountains between Boulder and Torrey will be beautiful this time of year; some really nice stands of aspens.

turk123 10-08-2020 09:47 PM

Do not miss that route! One of the most beautiful trips you will ever take.

We hauled our 30' Classic thru that route and would not hesitate to do it again. In fact, we might go out of our way to make that trip again.

At the end of the route the is a section that follows the mountain ridge and gets narrower and narrower. You will find yourself looking down on both sides 1000 ft. as you travel across the top of the ridge with no guard rails ( they removed the guardrails so they can remove the snow in winter, pushing the snow down into the valley. It is called the "Hogs back" and only lasts 1 1/2 miles. Most exhilarating! It really is not that bad and the road is very very good and wide.

We met a schoolbus driver who made the trip twice a day picking up kids on the other side of the ridge. He drove that road for 35 year!

Don't worry about grades. There is actually very little steep grades but very winding road. I've travelled worse roads all over the country and this is not that. Do not miss it!

https://youtu.be/LpO_d6zvvtQ

pcskier 10-09-2020 05:13 PM

What Turk said. A classic US roadway, and towing on it is no problem whatsoever.

spenfolder 10-09-2020 06:26 PM

What everyone else said. You need to do this route! The views are spectacular!

I have towed that road many times. Going over Boulder Mountain is a bit of a grade up and down, but totally doable with your setup. It is all good road, just a little steep in spots. Be sure to stop at the "view point" at the top of the mountain. On a clear day you can see much of Capitol Reef and all the way to Canyonlands.

Also, plan a stop at the Kiva Koffeehouse just east of Escalante if it is open. Just a great little coffee place with an amazing view.

And, if you have time and like to hike, Lower Calf Creek Falls is a great little hike, more of a "walk" really.

Enjoy the drive. It is beautiful!

143pm 10-09-2020 08:07 PM

Others are correct, we did the route with a 30 ft and a 34 ft fifth wheel. The drive is fantastic.

KK4YZ 10-09-2020 08:21 PM

We did that route last year on the Southwest Adventure Caravan. we pulled a 23’FC with a 5.7l Tundra. No problem at all. Like others said, don’t miss it.

Just remember to downshift on the downhill grades and don’t ride the brakes continuously.

Have fun!

Rocinante 10-09-2020 08:50 PM

Emphatically yes, you can take US Route 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef through Escalante. We towed our 27FB behind our RAM 1500 on that route, without a single problem. There is at least one section on a "hog's back" that is pretty interesting, with the landscape falling away steeply on both sides of the road, but it's totally passable and absolutely worth the trip. Here's a small sample of the kinds of things you will likely see: https://www.casarocinante.com/Travel...-Reef-05-2018/

TheOhioSean 10-09-2020 09:08 PM

I haven't towed that route, but taking it in a van was zero problem. I could understand wanting to be a little cautious when driving it when towing near drop offs and down from Boulder Mountain, but it is probably no real problem. It is one of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken.

smsasf 10-09-2020 09:28 PM

I drove it.

I’m the OP. I think I can say without doubt that Hwy 12 is one of the most scenic and spectacular roads I have ever driven in US. As a geoscientist (geophysicist/geologist), I found the variation in outcrop geology to be outstanding. And the aeolian deposits once past Escalante, WOW! I will endeavor to come back that way, settle in for a week here and there, do some hiking, and try to imagine the Earth during deposition of the various sedimentary deposits.

pcskier 10-09-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsasf (Post 2419789)
I’m the OP. I think I can say without doubt that Hwy 12 is one of the most scenic and spectacular roads I have ever driven in US. As a geoscientist (geophysicist/geologist), I found the variation in outcrop geology to be outstanding. And the aeolian deposits once past Escalante, WOW! I will endeavor to come back that way, settle in for a week here and there, do some hiking, and try to imagine the Earth during deposition of the various sedimentary deposits.

Staying in the Escalante area is an excellent base to explore the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. I hit it up every spring for a week or three.

Julie-Bob 10-09-2020 10:37 PM

We have driven that road many times with our TV 2012 F150 eco boost towing our 25FB Classic. No problems. Great views along the way.

Jonesuh 10-10-2020 10:22 AM

As others have said great drive. If possible have a meal at Hell’s Backbone Grill & farm in Boulder. We had dinner and came back for breakfast can’t wait to go back

Jsailmo 10-10-2020 11:12 AM

On my List

Thanks for sharing all your experiences - just put the route on my travel list! Great information!

Ladylongwing 10-10-2020 02:38 PM

When in spring is a good time to visit?

franklyfrank 10-10-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsasf (Post 2419462)
Will be leaving dispersed camping near Bryce on Friday and heading toward Capitol Reef on UT Hwy 12. In Allstays app north of Boulder there is an incline icon and they reference a steep grade. In the information they write “Recommend unhitching tow vehicle”. Puzzling. I am towing 2020 Bambi 20’ that only weights about 4300 lb loaded with a 2020 Tundra 5.7 liter V-8 and I know how to use S4, S3 and have scan gauge to monitor transmissions temps.

Thanks, stephen

Its a beatiful breath taking drive.
IT was the last trip pulling our new 30' Classic with an F150 EB . Within a month it got traded for F250 Powerstroke.

turk123 10-10-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franklyfrank (Post 2420028)
Its a beatiful breath taking drive.
IT was the last trip pulling our new 30' Classic with an F150 EB . Within a month it got traded for F250 Powerstroke.

Yep! Getting a 30' Classic and taking Route 12. will do that to you! :lol:

I did the same! :blink:

Rocinante 10-10-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladylongwing (Post 2420012)
When in spring is a good time to visit?

I would definitely make sure it was after the last possible snow or ice. Don't want to meet any of that along the way.

larrysun 10-10-2020 07:35 PM

Hey from Eureka's dad! Route 12 was really great. One of the best drives during the Southwestern Caravan.

Knifemaker 10-10-2020 11:34 PM

Refers to a TOAD behind a Motorhome

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsasf (Post 2419462)

Thanks, stephen

“Recommend unhitching tow vehicle” Refers to Motorhomes towing a TOAD aka towed vehicle. Your travel buddy would drive the TOAD. Obviously you cannot unhitch your trailer and get both up the hill.