Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Buying an 06 Interstate & Salesman is no help (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/buying-an-06-interstate-and-salesman-is-no-help-214879.html)

randya 09-27-2020 11:08 AM

Buying an 06 Interstate & Salesman is no help
 
Hi, we have an offer on a 2006 interstate from a large multi location dealership 800 + miles away , I only have B- photos and a D- video. I have asked the salesman multiple times general questions and Iíve tried to do my own research as well, the salesman keeps telling me he is not knowledgeable in class B rvs and Iím having a terrible time finding anything online.
I know Airstream is a reputable company, MB is a good engine and Iíd hate to walk away from the purchase but Iím starting to get nervous about the unknowns.
Hereís all I do know Itís a 2006 22ft Airstream interstate , MB engine, Dodge chassis the kitchen is in the front/ middle bench seat/ bed across the back. Please help with anymore information you might have on this model.

Lily&Me 09-27-2020 11:54 AM

He should have a specifications sheet for that rig, which could be faxed to you.

There are also videos of 06’s online, which I just found by googling, and which may be helpful.

I have had an 07 for 2 years, had an 06 for 11 years before that.

There are other 06 owners here, so ask any questions you like.

Maggie

Airtandem 09-27-2020 12:05 PM

85MH325 could probably give you good info. He lives in Tipton Ia.

Pahaska 09-27-2020 02:31 PM

Bring up airstream.com. Click on "Owners" then "Manuals" then Product "touring coach" then "2006."

You can download both the 2006 Interstate parts manual and the owner's manual.

Invaluable info.

Blondie2015AI-Lounge 09-27-2020 07:45 PM

Since it is a large dealership, ask them to connect you with a sales rep who has class B experience/knowledge. The sales rep you have is not earning or deserving of the commission he is going to earn off the sale. Best wishes!

InterBlog 09-28-2020 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randya (Post 2415262)
.... I only have B- photos and a D- video. I have asked the salesman multiple times general questions and Iíve tried to do my own research as well, the salesman keeps telling me he is not knowledgeable in class B rvs and Iím having a terrible time finding anything online.
....

Welcome to the forum.

What you said above is a red flag. I don't recommend that you put any money on this transaction until you have confirmed the legitimacy of it.

Interstate sales scams are a dime a dozen (here is a thread - I became interested in the topic after a scammer tried to sell my own Interstate to someone else). Here's the scary part: I've discovered at least one instance where the scammer appeared to be working from inside a legitimate dealership. What better strategy would there be than to temporarily get an actual job at a dealership, and then use them as a "front" for criminal activities without their knowledge? In that case, I contacted the dealership to explain what was happening. They would not respond to me for whatever reason, but I had a high degree of confidence that either a huge innocent mistake had been made, or that their listing was fake, because I had traced the Interstate in question.

ANYWAY, the listing you are referring to might be totally legit, and a little investigation could confirm it. Do you have a URL for the listing that you would be willing to share? Or, what's the dealership's name?

85MH325 09-28-2020 06:32 AM

I have an '04 Interstate on the Dodge Sprinter chassis, and Mike is correct, I'd be happy to help you. In addition to the AI I have now, I've also owned, used, bought and sold a bunch of RVs over the years including a '94 Airstream B-190, and a Coachmen RD-19, all of them long distance. I can help you with avoiding the pitfalls.

I'll send you a PM with contact info.

Roger

85MH325 09-28-2020 12:02 PM

I sent the OP a PM this morning, and she gave me a call. We had a lengthy chat. Nice folks.

Anyway, just to bring this full-circle without treading on the OP's thunder... the deal is legitimate. It's just Camping World being Camping World. It looks to be a pretty nice '06 rear dinette unit with 50k on the odo at a reasonable enough price. They have a deposit on it, and she was just looking for some confimation on appliances and general information about that vintage of AI, the T1N chassis and so forth.

Hopefully the OP will post more with whatever details she chooses to share. I think that all-in-all, the coach is a good buy.

and Mike, (Airtandem) she's a Ragbrai rider and interested in joining us at Moraine View next Spring! I'm doing my best to sell her on tadpole trikes. ;)

Roger

xyzabe 09-28-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InterBlog (Post 2415522)
Welcome to the forum.

What you said above is a red flag. I don't recommend that you put any money on this transaction until you have confirmed the legitimacy of it.

Interstate sales scams are a dime a dozen (here is a thread - I became interested in the topic after a scammer tried to sell my own Interstate to someone else). Here's the scary part: I've discovered at least one instance where the scammer appeared to be working from inside a legitimate dealership. What better strategy would there be than to temporarily get an actual job at a dealership, and then use them as a "front" for criminal activities without their knowledge? In that case, I contacted the dealership to explain what was happening. They would not respond to me for whatever reason, but I had a high degree of confidence that either a huge innocent mistake had been made, or that their listing was fake, because I had traced the Interstate in question.

ANYWAY, the listing you are referring to might be totally legit, and a little investigation could confirm it. Do you have a URL for the listing that you would be willing to share? Or, what's the dealership's name?

At the very least, get the VIN and make sure it isn't a stolen vehicle. In my opinion, if a dealer wants to sell to you, they will respond to your requests for information. I would suggest you also find someone in the area physically go and check out the vehicle. You can find RV inspectors or maybe a forum member who might go to check it out. (Maybe offer to cover their fuel cost and lunch). Someone on the ground might find issues you don't want to deal with (engine knock, water pump doesn't work, caulking around windows cracked and dried out or missing).

Could save you money and headaches.

Lily&Me 09-28-2020 12:11 PM

Well thatís good to hear. :)

Maggie

Lily&Me 09-28-2020 12:20 PM

I have to say that I have waited with some apprehension for my totaled 06 from 2 1/2 years ago to show up as being sold without disclosure of the major frame damage.

Mine had 193,000 miles on it in May 2018.

The OP should have someone take a good look at that frame, as my accident happened in Pennsylvania.

Maggie

85MH325 09-28-2020 12:40 PM

Yes, the OP has done her homework... ran the VIN through one of the reporting companies. The mileage is accurate and accounted for, the ownership un-contested, and there aren't any signficant crashes reported.

After seeing the ad and chatting at length with the OP who has been quite thorough, the problem isn't a sketchy deal, just good ol' Camping World living up to their now-legendary reputation for non-responsiveness and not knowing anything about the product they're selling... especially used unicorns like an '06 AI.

They did request a different sales rep. and the new one responded to her already today... so things may yet even out for them on this deal.

Lily&Me 09-28-2020 01:01 PM

Good.

My 06 was in excellent condition, but for the front end :innocent:, and I hope someone took it and made themselves a nice camper out of it.

Just would not want anyone sold it without being aware of its prior life.

I believe that we with the older models have a huge advantage over the newer ones with all the bells and whistles.

Even if I could afford one, I love what I have. ☺️


Maggie

SilverWind 09-28-2020 02:09 PM

We bought a new 2005 Interstate in 2004. Our close friends purchased a 2006 Road Trek. Both required extensive repairs for rust corrosion on the roof seam and around the windshields.

Airstream and Mercedes Benz shared the cost of the first roof repair of our's since it was only 12 months old. The repairs didn't hold and we had to have it redone twice more in eight years. We also had to have the area around the windshield repaired.

We found out later the bare primered vans were off loaded from ships from Germany and left to sit outside in an East Coast port. They were contaminated with salt air. Airstream painted directly over the the untreated van bodies and thus the problems.

The only way to know that the van you have in mind hasn't or won't suffer the same fate is too have a VERY experienced auto body specialist inspect and evaluate. Absolutely do not take the dealer's word.

Also, check to see if the plastic turbo resonator has been replaced with a cast aluminum model. The plastic one will fail at some point and will put you into a very slow limp home mode. Fortunately ours failed on a Southern California freeway and not in the Utah outback.

85MH325 09-28-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWind (Post 2415692)
We bought a new 2005 Interstate in 2004. Our close friends purchased a 2006 Road Trek. Both required extensive repairs for rust corrosion on the roof seam and around the windshields.

Airstream and Mercedes Benz shared the cost of the first roof repair of our's since it was only 12 months old. The repairs didn't hold and we had to have it redone twice more in eight years. We also had to have the area around the windshield repaired.

We found out later the bare primered vans were off loaded from ships from Germany and left to sit outside in an East Coast port. They were contaminated with salt air. Airstream painted directly over the the untreated van bodies and thus the problems.

The only way to know that the van you have in mind hasn't or won't suffer the same fate is too have a VERY experienced auto body specialist inspect and evaluate. Absolutely do not take the dealer's word.

Also, check to see if the plastic turbo resonator has been replaced with a cast aluminum model. The plastic one will fail at some point and will put you into a very slow limp home mode. Fortunately ours failed on a Southern California freeway and not in the Utah outback.

I've read about some of the windshield rust issues on some vans. That's interesting about the vans being shipped only primered... mine was fully painted white top coat, and then re-sprayed silver by AS. it doesn't show any of the windshield rust, fortunately.

When I bought my '04 last year, the turbo, resonator and other parts had just been replaced. But immediately after I got it home I bought a cast aluminum bypass for a whopping $30 from eBay and installed it. I didn't want to be left walking somewhere either.

85MH325 09-28-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2415668)
I believe that we with the older models have a huge advantage over the newer ones with all the bells and whistles.

Even if I could afford one, I love what I have. ☺️


Maggie

I've passed up two Great West NCV3 vans now, a '14 and a '15. UN-like the new AI's, I absolutely loved the way they were built out... everything you need and nothing you don't... but I just didn't want to mess with the expense of the NCV3 chassis smog and sensor issues.

And you're absolutely right about the bells and whistles. They have no added value to me at all.

SilverWind 09-28-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85MH325 (Post 2415695)
I've read about some of the windshield rust issues on some vans. That's interesting about the vans being shipped only primered... mine was fully painted white top coat, and then re-sprayed silver by AS. it doesn't show any of the windshield rust, fortunately.

When I bought my '04 last year, the turbo, resonator and other parts had just been replaced. But immediately after I got it home I bought a cast aluminum bypass for a whopping $30 from eBay and installed it. I didn't want to be left walking somewhere either.

Whoops. My mistake. It WAS a white top coat over a primer as transported and then re-painted by Airstream. Still apparently contaminated by sea salt environment which left the metal vulnerable to rust.

85MH325 09-28-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWind (Post 2415704)
Whoops. My mistake. It WAS a white top coat over a primer as transported and then re-painted by Airstream. Still apparently contaminated by sea salt environment which left the metal vulnerable to rust.

Doubly interesting. Well, after sixteen years, I'd expect if mine was going to have issues, it'd probably have rusted through by now. :lol: I'll keep an eye on it all the same.

I'm actually having some rust issues around the water tank fill and the 30 amp electric socket from the holes not being treated. I've got a body shop lined up to fix that.

I see you have a '68 Caravel... I passed up a '67 that someone had parked for sale, sitting outside the entrance to the fairgrounds for the International Rally in Sioux Falls in 1999. I still kick myself. Although the '68 is a 19' isn't it?

InterBlog 09-28-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85MH325 (Post 2415663)
.... the problem isn't a sketchy deal, just good ol' Camping World living up to their now-legendary reputation for non-responsiveness and not knowing anything about the product they're selling... .....

Good to hear. It's such a seller's market with people desperate to buy Class Bs that I am expecting more scams to crop up.

SilverWind 09-28-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85MH325 (Post 2415709)
Doubly interesting. Well, after sixteen years, I'd expect if mine was going to have issues, it'd probably have rusted through by now. :lol: I'll keep an eye on it all the same.

I'm actually having some rust issues around the water tank fill and the 30 amp electric socket from the holes not being treated. I've got a body shop lined up to fix that.

I see you have a '68 Caravel... I passed up a '67 that someone had parked for sale, sitting outside the entrance to the fairgrounds for the International Rally in Sioux Falls in 1999. I still kick myself. Although the '68 is a 19' isn't it?

The 68 Caravel is 17 feet. We purchased our's as a 9 year old total restoration and have done a few upgrades. Did a 2000 mile trip to the Southwest last fall. Massive fun. Different experience than our 2017 25FB but so many similarities.

We've had two new Airstream trailers plus the vintage since selling the 2005 Interstate after 8 years and 80,000 miles. It was hard to part with the Interstate and sometimes wish that we had another of that Sprinter's generation.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.