Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Fresh Water Systems (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/)
-   -   Solved: Water backfill into tank and pump noise (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/solved-water-backfill-into-tank-and-pump-noise-212547.html)

oldenavy 08-09-2020 05:09 PM

Solved: Water backfill into tank and pump noise
 
2 Attachment(s)
We recently suffered the 'freshwater tank filling up while on city water' issue that there are so many threads about. When we returned from our latest trip, I decided to solve the problem. Taking the expert advice from others here, I installed a check valve between the tank & pump. Also installed an accumulator tank I've been meaning to do for the past several months.

The pump has been extremely noisy since purchasing the trailer. While working on the H2O system, decided to try and solve that problem as well. Added some flex tubing on inlet & outlet sides of pump. I was planning to put the pump on resilient mounts in addition, but when I got into it, I found it already has some sort of flexible mounting system, so I left that alone. Just completed the job today and am amazed at the results wrt noise. The pump is almost silent. Water splashing in the sink is noisier than the pump now.

OTRA15 08-09-2020 07:22 PM

Nice clean installation, thanks for the photos!

Piggy Bank 08-09-2020 08:08 PM

Would you possibly be able to mark up the images and explain your steps to those of us who need it explained S-L-O-W-L-Y?

KSA63 08-09-2020 09:27 PM

Not sure how to “follow” this in the app so easiest route for me is to respond.

Our New 30 foot GT has a horrible hammer to the pump. Despite the manual for the pump being very clear that it is not to be connected directly to PEX, it is of course, directly connected. The pipes seem to just amplify things. Your solution is perfect.

Will see first though if it will be fixed under warranty.

Thanks
Kevin

oldenavy 08-10-2020 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2395288)
Nice clean installation, thanks for the photos!

Thanks Peter! I just wish I could have cleaned up the factory wiring better. It's a rat's nest.

oldenavy 08-10-2020 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy Bank (Post 2395314)
Would you possibly be able to mark up the images and explain your steps to those of us who need it explained S-L-O-W-L-Y?

Piggy Bank,
OK, here's an attempt. Sorry, I didn't take any 'before' photos. I marked up the photo to show what is what.

Step by step:
1) Pump off, bled off pressure from water system.
2) disconnected inlet & outlet from pump (these fittings unscrew). There's a little water tha drains out, so I used a small bowl to catch it.
3) cut PEX pipe coming from tank and to fixtures. Also cut off the removed pieces and saved the part with the attachment to the pump. Those pump fittings have to be bought from an RV or marine store, so I re-used them.
For all cuts, I made sure there was enough of a 'stub' to get a sharkbite fitting onto the end.
Did all the cutting with a tubing cutter as the sharkbite (or Watts) slip-on fittings are sensitive to having a clean cut end of the pipe.
4) There are no 'PEX to vinyl tubing' adapters out there (that I could find), so I made my own. Each fitting is a PEX - 1/2"NPT mated to a '1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb fitting.
5) found room for & made a mount for the accumulator tank using some scrap wood laying around.
6) Used short 1/2" screw-on connector that came with accumulator to mount factory strainer on pump inlet.
7) cut new PEX pipe to fit between accumulator & fixtures
8) installed check valve on tank supply pipe.
9) laid out hose lenghts & connected them up.
10) tightened hose clamps
11) turned on system & checked for leaks.

My parts list: All from local home center except last item

- 5' length of 1/2" PEX pipe
- 10' roll of 1/2" reinforced vinyl tubing
- Package of 1/2" Sharkbite elbows (used 3 of 5 that came in pkg)
- 1 1/2" Sharkbite coupling
- 4 - 1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb fittings
- 4 - 12/" NPT to 1/2" PEX Sharkbite fittings
- 1 roll of teflon tape for NPT fittings
- 4 stainless steel hose clamps
- 1 - 1/2" Sharkbite check valve
- 1 - Shurflo Accumulator tank: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2.../dp/B000N9VF6Q
Hope this helps,
Tim

oldenavy 08-10-2020 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSA63 (Post 2395340)
Not sure how to “follow” this in the app so easiest route for me is to respond.

Our New 30 foot GT has a horrible hammer to the pump. Despite the manual for the pump being very clear that it is not to be connected directly to PEX, it is of course, directly connected. The pipes seem to just amplify things. Your solution is perfect.

Will see first though if it will be fixed under warranty.

Thanks
Kevin

Ours was terrible as well. That's why I added the accumulator. Now we have no water hammer from pump or flushing the toilet which was also pretty bad.
Good luck with the warranty! I hope they do something for you.

Baby Zeppelin 08-10-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldenavy (Post 2395402)
Ours was terrible as well. That's why I added the accumulator. Now we have no water hammer from pump or flushing the toilet which was also pretty bad.


Thanks for the description and photos. Wonder if I have room for an accumulator. As I recall when I added the plumbing to suck antifreeze from a jug directly into the pump there isn't much room in my trailer.

bibbs 08-10-2020 02:03 PM

The trick to quiet pump is installing the accumulator, it is amazing what the difference is!

GatorDave 08-10-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldenavy (Post 2395225)
We recently suffered the 'freshwater tank filling up while on city water' issue that there are so many threads about. When we returned from our latest trip, I decided to solve the problem. Taking the expert advice from others here, I installed a check valve between the tank & pump. Also installed an accumulator tank I've been meaning to do for the past several months.

The pump has been extremely noisy since purchasing the trailer. While working on the H2O system, decided to try and solve that problem as well. Added some flex tubing on inlet & outlet sides of pump. I was planning to put the pump on resilient mounts in addition, but when I got into it, I found it already has some sort of flexible mounting system, so I left that alone. Just completed the job today and am amazed at the results wrt noise. The pump is almost silent. Water splashing in the sink is noisier than the pump now.



I did the same installation/retrofit my 2000 Excella with the same noise reduction
The accumulator tank made all the difference silencing the water hammer

Al and Missy 08-10-2020 03:18 PM

@Oldenavy - Thanks for this. I have an antifreeze injector fitting (which I plan to use mostly to inject air into the pump output line). I knew that people were putting in isolating section of hose but I had forgotten about it. It is now on my to-do list. My classic already has the accumulator.

guskmg 08-10-2020 11:33 PM

The best noise reducer I have found is the Shurflo Anti-noise kit which is two 30" hoses with fittings. Just connect them to the pump then make loops around to the tank inlet connect and the outputt to the water system. I think you will find that negates the need for an accumulator.
guskmg

MissingLink5 10-03-2020 02:41 PM

Noises water pump
 
I like to be able to hear the pump. Don’t make it so soft you can’t hear it. The sound reveals a lot of info!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.