Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   COVID-19 Discussion Zone (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f549/)
-   -   Camping BEFORE 2020 and Now (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f549/camping-before-2020-and-now-208892.html)

Ray Eklund 05-27-2020 10:42 AM

Camping BEFORE 2020 and Now

We Off the Grid Boondock today exactly the same as we did a week ago in five western States or 14 years ago with our first Airstream.

We tent camped at the same places we now park our home on wheel Airstreams thirty years ago. NOTHING has changed for US. Not one change.

The wind blows and the Sun rises each morning in the Forests, Mountains, Deserts and the High Mesas of the western USA. Our life experiences are to step out and have horizon to horizon all to ourselves.

No plans. No expectations. Nothing firmly written on a sheet of paper. No reservations. We are FREE to Wander Lust on our Own, always.

Our State Map Atlases are our guides to roads and wonderful places not advertised on the Internet as great places to browse for gifts with the crowded RV Parks. Nancy's finger follows our route and the unexpected road in the distance just could be the next wonderful experience... that day.

If you have second thoughts about Boondocking... or an RV Park... today due to Covid-19, maybe this is not the time for you to be on the road. Looking into my crystal ball of possible future events, the future hype may ruin your traveling options for some time.

When I reached 70, unexpectedly, my 'long term' plans are now done within one or two weeks, not months of planning. Pick a State Map Atlas... and go. No reservations. No expectations. Weather is weather everywhere. New places to discover. Old campsites to enjoy, past memories of former dogs and current dogs.

When I thought tent camping was to replace our 2014 25 foot International, I was wrong. One morning we awoke, we had breakfast and Nancy and I went to the local Airstream Dealer, looked over EVERY SINGLE AIRSTREAM on the lot... found a 27 foot 2019 (with 2020's being delivered) worked out the 100% perfect trailer with Solar and the 3 inch lift kit and never looked back.

Once home, the 2019 in the RV Garage... ordered 16 inch Sendels, 16 inch Michelin tires and spare, an extra Solar Panel and there was nothing to stop us. I plan to live the rest of our lives with this Airstream. We plan to wear the tires out. We plan to go anywhere we want, anytime and with no notice... trailer is always ready to roll with supplies, water up... GONE. Goodbye and no idea when or where... but we will get there, eventually. :)

If you are healthy and have that spark to get on the road and Wander... NOW is your calling. No traffic. No crowds. Only you, your spouse/friend, your pet(s) and it is all waiting for you.

zapper 11-24-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Eklund (Post 2364208)
We Off the Grid Boondock today exactly the same as we did a week ago in five western States or 14 years ago with our first Airstream.

We tent camped at the same places we now park our home on wheel Airstreams thirty years ago. NOTHING has changed for US. Not one change.

The wind blows and the Sun rises each morning in the Forests, Mountains, Deserts and the High Mesas of the western USA. Our life experiences are to step out and have horizon to horizon all to ourselves.

No plans. No expectations. Nothing firmly written on a sheet of paper. No reservations. We are FREE to Wander Lust on our Own, always.

Our State Map Atlases are our guides to roads and wonderful places not advertised on the Internet as great places to browse for gifts with the crowded RV Parks. Nancy's finger follows our route and the unexpected road in the distance just could be the next wonderful experience... that day.

If you have second thoughts about Boondocking... or an RV Park... today due to Covid-19, maybe this is not the time for you to be on the road. Looking into my crystal ball of possible future events, the future hype may ruin your traveling options for some time.

When I reached 70, unexpectedly, my 'long term' plans are now done within one or two weeks, not months of planning. Pick a State Map Atlas... and go. No reservations. No expectations. Weather is weather everywhere. New places to discover. Old campsites to enjoy, past memories of former dogs and current dogs.

When I thought tent camping was to replace our 2014 25 foot International, I was wrong. One morning we awoke, we had breakfast and Nancy and I went to the local Airstream Dealer, looked over EVERY SINGLE AIRSTREAM on the lot... found a 27 foot 2019 (with 2020's being delivered) worked out the 100% perfect trailer with Solar and the 3 inch lift kit and never looked back.

Once home, the 2019 in the RV Garage... ordered 16 inch Sendels, 16 inch Michelin tires and spare, an extra Solar Panel and there was nothing to stop us. I plan to live the rest of our lives with this Airstream. We plan to wear the tires out. We plan to go anywhere we want, anytime and with no notice... trailer is always ready to roll with supplies, water up... GONE. Goodbye and no idea when or where... but we will get there, eventually. :)

If you are healthy and have that spark to get on the road and Wander... NOW is your calling. No traffic. No crowds. Only you, your spouse/friend, your pet(s) and it is all waiting for you.

Ray-
Great w/sharing your memories of the outdoors and isolation.

I was fortunate while in my early teens to be introduced to tent camping and fishing and was hooked on it. It seems one has to be coached young to appreciate the outdoors and solitude. I have boon docked alone in our 25’ several times mostly in AZ and enjoyed it. My wife on the other hand never had the experience and I know she would be anxious in the wilderness especially at our age. The other obstacle is the 30’ is not really set up for off road nor is the TV suitable for the job. So we’re stuck with plain ole vanilla RV parks. Not wide open spaces but not high rise LA either. Our adventures are more sedate these days.

But I keep hearing how crowded parks are these days because of all the AS nubies are camping out. Not sure where cause I just got back from round trip from CA to TX and back. Most of the parks were 50% or less full. Saw maybe 5 AS on trip and 2 in parks. Where did everyone go? Boon docking?

ke6gkv 11-25-2020 01:18 AM

great post ray! Zapper, you can tow your trailer on some pretty rough roads. i never had 4 wd until now, towed 5 ASs,aShasta,an Aristocrat,Scamp and Harry teardrop. no lifts and my wife thought i was crazy. go slow,relax and have a grand adventure! kurt

s1000pre 11-25-2020 08:24 AM

Well written!!! We are planning on hitting the road after New Year’s Day. Heading S.W. To do a mix of boondocking & campsites for a couple months...can’t wait!!!

zapper 11-25-2020 01:32 PM

Enjoy your boondocking adventures.
Wish I could join in the fun!
But having the AS 25' high centered in the Coconino Nat Forest w/o a 4 wheel drive took a little of the "fun" out of the adventure.