Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Brake Controllers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/)
-   -   Tekonsha Prodigy vs Curt Echo Wireless brake controller (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/tekonsha-prodigy-vs-curt-echo-wireless-brake-controller-208705.html)

kevinkatz 05-22-2020 04:50 PM

Tekonsha Prodigy vs Curt Echo Wireless brake controller

I have been towing with a BMW X5 diesel for a good while. I use a Prodigy brake controller. I now have another BMW X5 diesel and am building another trailer and am considering options. The Prodigy works well but is a cumbersome box on the trailer. The new CURT ECHO looks interesting. Cheaper and easier to install. I realize that it wonít give me any control from in the tow vehicle. Has anyone used the Curt and have an opinion?

overlander63 05-22-2020 06:34 PM

I installed a Curt today. You will have control using the Curt, if you sync it to your smart phone using bluetooth.

waninae39 05-22-2020 08:36 PM

we have used a Prodigy brake controller for 4 years

works well, never an issue

go with a wired model. wireless just adds delay and a possible issue

overlander63 05-22-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waninae39 (Post 2362760)
we have used a Prodigy brake controller for 4 years

works well, never an issue

go with a wired model. wireless just adds delay and a possible issue

He already has a Prodigy RF.

Tom_T 05-23-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waninae39 (Post 2362760)
wireless just adds delay and a possible issue

Not true - NO delay nor issues.

Prodigy RF user for 8 years.

Stick with the Tekonsha RF, unless it needs replacement.

I would think that the Curt also requires a "box" on the trailer too.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

PirateChris 05-23-2020 09:20 AM

Prodigy Vs Echo

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkatz (Post 2362715)
I have been towing with a BMW X5 diesel for a good while. I use a Prodigy brake controller. I now have another BMW X5 diesel and am building another trailer and am considering options. The Prodigy works well but is a cumbersome box on the trailer. The new CURT ECHO looks interesting. Cheaper and easier to install. I realize that it wonít give me any control from in the tow vehicle. Has anyone used the Curt and have an opinion?

I have the prodigy in my AS Interstate and tow a 2x axle box trailer. Works great. I bought the Echo for use on my Toyota Highlander rowing the same trailer. Absolutely no difference in performance key is to get the Echo set up right using your smartphone Bluetooth interface. Once itís set, you no longer need to have the phone connected or even with you. The phone interface does provide real-time interface with the Echo controller, if needed. Both are good choices.

Be well

PirateChris

PirateChris 05-23-2020 09:26 AM

Prodigy Vs Echo

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkatz (Post 2362715)

Further to my previous post... itís worth the trouble
To pull the Echo and lock it in the car during overnight parking. They are easy to remove and at almost $250-$300, they are a temping target. Do remember to reinstall it before pulling out in the morning cause if it isnít installed, you have no trailer brakes.....PirateChris

sepohl 05-23-2020 04:51 PM

I have been using the Echo for about a year. You download the app onto your cell phone. We set it instantly, my wife had it sync in seconds. There is no delay, works great. I am towing an 19 ft airstream with a BMW X5.

Same controls and settings as a wired controller.

prairieschooner 05-23-2020 07:08 PM

Thinking that some may have way too much $$$$$

Prettygood 05-23-2020 07:54 PM

Been using the Echo for 18 months. Works flawlessly, and would never consider going to a wired controller. Take the plunge into the 21st century

switz 05-24-2020 09:00 AM

My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI, custom ordered and built in October of 2006, had a significant omission. The trailer towing wiring harness (part of the towing package that also included a factory installed receiver) from the driverís footwell to the passenger side rear wiring area was not installed. Not wanting to tear out the interior on a new car, we went with the Prodigy RF and installed the remote on our new 2013 2FB International Serenity at the selling dealership in Los Angles. Over time, a non-fixable bug surfaced. If the turn signals are on and I brake firmly, the trailer brakes pulsate at the blinking rate of the turn signals and ramp up the amplitude of the signals with great challenges to passenger comfort and control of the rig due to the jerking.

Tekonsha has has NO solution nor plans to expend any more effort on the issue.

Fast forward to today and we are in deliberation over retiring our 2007 ML that has 198,800 miles. Repairs in the last two years have exceeded $15,000 and I know the chronic oil cooler issue is about to reappear (every 75,000 to 80,000 miles) for a $3,500 repair. The trade-in value is maybe $3,500 and a private sale might fetch $6,000 on a good day. I have replaced the engine and transmission mounts twice, the front suspension once and am still ion the second set of brakes pads.

If we elect to keep the ML, I would replace the Tekonsha RF with a Tuson brake controller like I have in our 2012 Ram 2500HD tow vehicle. I would remove the Tekonsaha remote brake system from the front of the 23D reducing tongue weight by at least 70 pounds.

For us the Prodigy RF was a solution to a wiring problem. If the ML goes, we still have a Hensley stinger for the 23D that we used on the 25FB. We can tow both trailers with the truck.

Tom_T 05-24-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switz (Post 2363167)
My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI, custom ordered and built in October of 2006, had a significant omission. The trailer towing wiring harness (part of the towing package that also included a factory installed receiver) from the driverís footwell to the passenger side rear wiring area was not installed. Not wanting to tear out the interior on a new car, we went with the Prodigy RF and installed the remote on our new 2013 2FB International Serenity at the selling dealership in Los Angles. Over time, a non-fixable bug surfaced. If the turn signals are on and I brake firmly, the trailer brakes pulsate at the blinking rate of the turn signals and ramp up the amplitude of the signals with great challenges to passenger comfort and control of the rig due to the jerking.

Tekonsha has has NO solution nor plans to expend any more effort on the issue.

Fast forward to today and we are in deliberation over retiring our 2007 ML that has 198,800 miles. Repairs in the last two years have exceeded $15,000 and I know the chronic oil cooler issue is about to reappear (every 75,000 to 80,000 miles) for a $3,500 repair. The trade-in value is maybe $3,500 and a private sale might fetch $6,000 on a good day. I have replaced the engine and transmission mounts twice, the front suspension once and am still ion the second set of brakes pads.

If we elect to keep the ML, I would replace the Tekonsha RF with a Tuson brake controller like I have in our 2012 Ram 2500HD tow vehicle. I would remove the Tekonsaha remote brake system from the front of the 23D reducing tongue weight by at least 70 pounds.

For us the Prodigy RF was a solution to a wiring problem. If the ML goes, we still have a Hensley stinger for the 23D that we used on the 25FB. We can tow both trailers with the truck.

The Euro SUVs have some electric interference issue, but Curt sells a $30 adapter at the 7-pin connector which solves it.

Google or look on eTrailer for the unit.

Aside from that, I found that the new 2018> Ford F250's that we were renting as TVs have some other problem where it won't work the trailer lights & signals properly (& the Curt adapter didn't help).

That's a different problem than your MBZ-Tek RF issue, but it shows that any manufacturer can screw up their towing set up!

Try that before you give up on the Tek RF

Cheers!
Tom
///////

switz 06-02-2020 06:58 AM

The eTrailer/Curt part did NOT fix the issue. I tried that several years ago and had no change in the pulsating issue.

A possible change is under strong consideration from our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI with 200,000 miles to a 2020 Toyota Highlander (Non-hybrid model). The Toyota would have the “factory” receiver reinforced for towing just like the welding modification done on the Mercedes in 2012 when we acquired our first Airstream. We would try the Tekonsha Prodigy RF using the Toyota before scrapping the Prodigy RF brake control system.

It would certainly be a cleaner deal to reuse the RF system as no control head is attached to any surface in the interior of the car.