Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Black Tank Valve Not Turning on (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/black-tank-valve-not-turning-on-208274.html)

eyechip 05-10-2020 02:00 PM

Black Tank Valve Not Turning on

Hey all, been awhile. I sold my 2018 AI and getting it ready today to hand over this week. Lo and behold (and of course with my luck) upon going to empty the tanks I discovered the black valve is not turning on. Grey valve does turn on and works fine. Macerator functions.

Especially frustrating as I took it to Colonial for issues with the black tank twice now, including in November, when they said they fixed it all. Have not used the rig since.

Any ideas? I am desperate given I have two days left before handing this over and am panicked that I am going to lose this sale should I not be able to get it fixed in time.

sheakev 05-10-2020 03:35 PM

This may not be it but here is something that happened to me last summer (while I was in the Yukon). If you cannot hear the actuator at all when you try to open the black tank it could be a fuse, or it could be the relay inside the AI which has failed. It is a common automotive solenoid (at least that's what my dealer replaced it with when I got back home).
I was able to open the valve "manually", by crawling underneath and detaching the wires going to the black tank valve and then with a 12 volt source (I had a jumper battery) I jumpered into the the actuator and it opened, reverse the wires and it closes. Others might say you can mechanically disconnect the actuator and move it by hand; I found that not to be a viable option. I neither had the right tools and it was very difficult to even get to.
I'm not certain where the solenoid (relay) is but I believe it is near the fuses, inverter, solar charge controller, etc. I was told this was a very common failure by the mechanic at the dealership.
Again check fuses first. If you find the solenoid I'm sure you can find a replacement at any auto parts store. Also since there are two, A quick check is switch them out. If the black tank valves open then you know it was a bad relay. Buy two new ones and replace both, it will be quicker than figuring out which is which and which one is bad.
Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyechip (Post 2358761)
Hey all, been awhile. I sold my 2018 AI and getting it ready today to hand over this week. Lo and behold (and of course with my luck) upon going to empty the tanks I discovered the black valve is not turning on. Grey valve does turn on and works fine. Macerator functions.

Especially frustrating as I took it to Colonial for issues with the black tank twice now, including in November, when they said they fixed it all. Have not used the rig since.

Any ideas? I am desperate given I have two days left before handing this over and am panicked that I am going to lose this sale should I not be able to get it fixed in time.

Passin Thru 05-10-2020 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On my 2013 ext the relays are behind the external switches for the valves, macerator, hose reel. Take out the 4 screws in the panel and there they are.

Here is a picture. Cheap on Amazon if that is what you need.

Titus 05-10-2020 05:13 PM

On mine the relays are sitting to the front side of the rear road side wheel wells. (At least I think those are the relays.) Once you find the relays simply swap them and see if the black works and grey doesn't.

eyechip 05-10-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passin Thru (Post 2358815)
On my 2013 ext the relays are behind the external switches for the valves, macerator, hose reel. Take out the 4 screws in the panel and there they are.

Here is a picture. Cheap on Amazon if that is what you need.

Thanks so much for this...

I unscrewed the external panel and apparently a lot changed from yours. Nothing like in your photo there and just a series of plugs from all the connections. If that's the secret I am damned where to find it.

Pulling my hair out. And I don't have much left.

eyechip 05-10-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus (Post 2358826)
On mine the relays are sitting to the front side of the rear road side wheel wells. (At least I think those are the relays.) Once you find the relays simply swap them and see if the black works and grey doesn't.

I looked there for the relays and nothing I can find like yours. Thanks though.

Where are those relays! lol.

eyechip 05-10-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheakev (Post 2358795)
I'm not certain where the solenoid (relay) is but I believe it is near the fuses, inverter, solar charge controller, etc. I was told this was a very common failure by the mechanic at the dealership.
Again check fuses first. If you find the solenoid I'm sure you can find a replacement at any auto parts store. Also since there are two, A quick check is switch them out. If the black tank valves open then you know it was a bad relay. Buy two new ones and replace both, it will be quicker than figuring out which is which and which one is bad.
Good Luck!

I can't find it at all. I am sure as well that's what it is. Where is this relay?? The mystery of the year, lol.

Passin Thru 05-10-2020 07:48 PM

Eyechip

Did you pull the wires out? They are kinda stuck back in there.

Tim

eyechip 05-11-2020 11:16 AM

Just an update:

Got to the Relay today (had to take apart the entire seat to get to them) and it was not the problem. Both worked on the Grey but none worked on the Black.

Luckily, I guess, Colonial is squeezing me in tomorrow morning first thing. Up at 5AM to schlep up to Jersey. Good thing the weather looks ok as I have to sit outside on a camp chair for probably six hours (no one allowed inside). They require 4 hours to disinfect the entire unit for Covid19 and a few hours to replace the valve. Glad they have it in stock!

Then drive back to DC tomorrow night and deliver to Southern Virginia on Wednesday morning. Quite a whirlwind!

Thanks everyone for the help and I can say now that my final deed (fingers crossed) on the Black Stallion was taking apart the jump seat and getting into the electrical guts.

Many thanks to Alex who has been incredible helping me both before and today. He got on the phone and walked me through a lot in checking the Relay. What a gentleman!

eyechip 05-12-2020 10:46 AM

At Colonial now and turns out in the end it was the motor for the black valve. Of course not under warranty as it's "not airstream." Cost=$500.00