Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Doors & Locks (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/)
-   -   Door sagging, loose upper hinge (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/door-sagging-loose-upper-hinge-206808.html)

Kalashnikov 03-26-2020 06:10 PM

Door sagging, loose upper hinge

Hi,

After our most recent trip I noticed that the door became difficult to close. I could shove it hard and it would lift up 1/8" to 1/4" upon close. Upon opening it would then slouch down a little.

Found that the upper hinge appeared to be loose! There was a visible air gap between the hinge and the trailer. Tightened up it as much as I dared. What's behind the screws, is it a nice sturdy nut or are these screwed into aluminum?

Outside view before tightening (no idea why that plastic cover was loose either)

https://i.imgur.com/s2QmsVP.jpg

Inside view
https://i.imgur.com/IqwduYh.jpg

overlander63 03-26-2020 06:39 PM

There's a nut that isn't secured very well holding those screws to the frame. You'd probably have to take some interior sheet metal apart to get to them. If the trailer's still in warranty, I'd contact the dealer prior to surgery.

Kalashnikov 03-26-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 2344807)
There's a nut that isn't secured very well holding those screws to the frame. You'd probably have to take some interior sheet metal apart to get to them. If the trailer's still in warranty, I'd contact the dealer prior to surgery.

If there's a nut, can I just pull on the hinge while tightening the screw? Wouldn't that keep the nut in place?

I could potentially see weeks to months of delay if I make this a warranty call.

Kalashnikov 03-26-2020 06:54 PM

Ok problem solved!
- I tightened the heck out of both screws, they seem solid now
- Replaced the adhesive on the plastic 'chrome' piece with a fresh strip of 3M VHB tape :D

bobmiller1 03-26-2020 07:05 PM

Yeah, another great Airstream problem....the door hinges. normally the 2 nuts for each hinge are tac welded to a metal strip inside the aluminum skins. Being that Airstream seems to buy there hardware from the lowest bidder, I would recommend removing the original Grade 5 hardware (if that) with some quality American made Grade 8 hardware. Re-using the same type Grade 8 phillips screws with flat washers, lock washers and nuts will solve the problem. Regards, Bob

Kalashnikov 03-27-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmiller1 (Post 2344819)
Yeah, another great Airstream problem....the door hinges. normally the 2 nuts for each hinge are tac welded to a metal strip inside the aluminum skins. Being that Airstream seems to buy there hardware from the lowest bidder, I would recommend removing the original Grade 5 hardware (if that) with some quality American made Grade 8 hardware. Re-using the same type Grade 8 phillips screws with flat washers, lock washers and nuts will solve the problem. Regards, Bob

What's involved? Removing an interior panel? If so, not very exciting given that ours is still within the warranty period.

ROBERT CROSS 03-27-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov (Post 2344877)
What's involved? Removing an interior panel? If so, not very exciting given that ours is still within the warranty period.

This is a good guide...

More....

Bob
🇺🇸

Kalashnikov 03-27-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2344894)

Thanks! That doesn't look too bad, given that the new holes are covered by trim. Bookmarked.

Pity that AS selected such poor hardware for their hinges.

cazual6 03-27-2020 12:50 PM

Took mine to dealer. Had the same issue. I would post the link, but admins doesn't like it when I post something that leads to another side.

bobmiller1 03-27-2020 01:05 PM

The warranty is useless.....they’ll only make it worse. Remove the interior door trim, the rivers have to be drilled out. Peel the wall covering back about 1 inch from the door opening around the hinge area. Drill out the interior aluminum wall rivers around the hinge area, 2 or 3. Peel back the interior aluminum skin and block it with a piece of wood. You should be able to see the nuts, worse case scenario, you might need a 3/4” hole saw if the nuts are behind a support channel like mine were, no worries, once the work is done, it will be done right and it will be all covered up so no one will see it. Regards, Bob

trikdacy 03-27-2020 02:48 PM

I had the same problem. The door, from delivery, was always a bit difficult to close, and it needed a sturdy slam to close. Being a newbie, I always thought that was the way it should work. I brought it into Colonial Airstream for winter prep, and the tech noticed the hinge was loose. The bolt/screw seemed to be sheared. It turned freely. I left it at Colonial Airstream, because it was under warranty. The interior door frame was removed, and the tech put a new nut and bolt. After the repair, the door closed completley different. It didn't need a slam. I wonder if the screw/bolt was deffective at the factory.

Kalashnikov 03-27-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikdacy (Post 2345028)
I had the same problem. The door, from delivery, was always a bit difficult to close, and it needed a sturdy slam to close. Being a newbie, I always thought that was the way it should work. I brought it into Colonial Airstream for winter prep, and the tech noticed the hinge was loose. The bolt/screw seemed to be sheared. It turned freely. I left it at Colonial Airstream, because it was under warranty. The interior door frame was removed, and the tech put a new nut and bolt. After the repair, the door closed completley different. It didn't need a slam. I wonder if the screw/bolt was deffective at the factory.

Interesting. My door _always_ needs a slam, even after making the bolts very tight :neutral:

I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll need to do the surgery.

Tinytinkr 04-05-2020 11:12 AM

Door hinges

I been having a problem with the bottom hinge too much play in the screen door hinge. Think of replacing the hinge has anybody ever used rivet nut too do this?

Smathers 04-05-2020 01:58 PM

We had this same problem after the roads in Newfoundland. There is a video but it isn’t very helpful on your own. This is a dealer fix & doesn’t take long to do. If under warranty all the better. We lucked out & our 2019 FC still was so we took it to the Mothership in Ohio for that & another problem. A tech came to our campsite at the plant & fixed everything right there. The tiny screws & washers in the hinge can fall into the hinge & cause further problems for the novice. So be very careful if you try this on your own.

cbburke 04-05-2020 06:22 PM

Many of the entry doors coming out of the plant are misaligned. Look closely at the frame bolt as you close the door. Many time the claw latch is misaligned an hits the bolt either high or low. It is supposed hit squarely in the middle.
There is a YouTube video detailing how to correctly align the entry door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-PprGeESE

One other concern of which I am occasionally guilty, don't use the door as an assist handle while entering or exiting you coach. This puts a twist load on the door.

Shads Shack 04-06-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov (Post 2345121)
Interesting. My door _always_ needs a slam, even after making the bolts very tight :neutral:

I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll need to do the surgery.

I just went thru a door adjustment on my 2008, 22' Airstream.

In my case the striker was off-center from the jaws. I first raised the door on the hinges by inserting `C' wedges around the dowel. This probably took away 3/32 of the offset. I was left with about 1/16 offset. By fiddling with the striker (taking it out, general messing around) I found that 1/16" was all that stood between a quiet door closing and the typical slam.

To get the last 1/16" I had to move the striker. This meant drilling out the rivet that positions the striker attachment nut. After placing the striker in the `exact' position, I drilled a new rivet hole and popped in a new one. Works much, much better.

Kalashnikov 04-06-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbburke (Post 2348197)
Many of the entry doors coming out of the plant are misaligned. Look closely at the frame bolt as you close the door. Many time the claw latch is misaligned an hits the bolt either high or low. It is supposed hit squarely in the middle.
There is a YouTube video detailing how to correctly align the entry door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-PprGeESE

One other concern of which I am occasionally guilty, don't use the door as an assist handle while entering or exiting you coach. This puts a twist load on the door.

Great video, thanks! (well the 2nd half was useful, skipped first half)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shads Shack (Post 2348424)
I just went thru a door adjustment on my 2008, 22' Airstream.

In my case the striker was off-center from the jaws. I first raised the door on the hinges by inserting `C' wedges around the dowel. This probably took away 3/32 of the offset. I was left with about 1/16 offset. By fiddling with the striker (taking it out, general messing around) I found that 1/16" was all that stood between a quiet door closing and the typical slam.

What does this mean? What is a C-wedge and what part is the dowel?

Quote:

To get the last 1/16" I had to move the striker. This meant drilling out the rivet that positions the striker attachment nut. After placing the striker in the `exact' position, I drilled a new rivet hole and popped in a new one. Works much, much better.
I may need to do that. My deadbolt hits the upper black 'claw' on the door latch. It's not even closed to being centered. :sad:

Wayne&Sam 04-06-2020 03:51 PM

I had that problem on my 2007 FC. At JC they removed a piece of trim, made the repair, replaced the trim. The was no evidence of a repair.

M. Smith 04-07-2020 09:54 AM

The video was a great how-to. Just fixed my door by adjusting the bolt down. Didn't take much.

Kalashnikov 04-07-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Smith (Post 2348760)
The video was a great how-to. Just fixed my door by adjusting the bolt down. Didn't take much.

Did you just pound on it like the video?

How much did it move?

Still don't understand how it can move _at_all_ given that it's riveted in place .