Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   4x4 height (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/4x4-height-204289.html)

Amg 01-06-2020 04:06 PM

4x4 height

I am purchasing a new 2020 Interstate lounge ext. I am deciding on the 4X4 option. The unit is between 3 to four inches higher from from front to back. Meaning the entry from the fold out step and the ledge step by front doors are also higher. Does anyone have experience with the 4x4 with the increased entry height and any difficulties it may incur. At my age I donít want to strain to get in or out of coach. Thanks

ScottP 01-08-2020 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amg (Post 2321377)
I am purchasing a new 2020 Interstate lounge ext. I am deciding on the 4X4 option. The unit is between 3 to four inches higher from from front to back. Meaning the entry from the fold out step and the ledge step by front doors are also higher. Does anyone have experience with the 4x4 with the increased entry height and any difficulties it may incur. At my age I donít want to strain to get in or out of coach. Thanks

Itís such a personal choice, and seems less related to your age than perhaps your fitness or mobility.

We are enjoying our fourth 4wd unit. Cannot imagine owning a 2wd unit for multiple reasons which Iíve shared in previous searchable posts.

Best of luck with your choice.

bdub 01-08-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amg (Post 2321377)

We have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 and the step height is about 13" from the ground to the top of the step surface. We've had no issues with the height. I've known others to carry a small step stool to use when needed. One bonus with the added height is that when you park against the curb, you'll have a little more clearance for the step to extend.

jhayesas 01-08-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdub (Post 2321942)
We have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 and the step height is about 13" from the ground to the top of the step surface. We've had no issues with the height. I've known others to carry a small step stool to use when needed. One bonus with the added height is that when you park against the curb, you'll have a little more clearance for the step to extend.

bdub, Are you on the Facebook Airstream Interstate forum, would love more members if you care to join.

bdub 01-09-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhayesas (Post 2321980)
bdub, Are you on the Facebook Airstream Interstate forum, would love more members if you care to join.

Not currently, but will definitely join

Amg 01-10-2020 06:57 AM

Thanks. Real concern is height from front door entry. The minuscule step is difficult enough. I plan on seeing a 4x4 this weekend. Background is I currently have an Interstate. It is my third and I love them. Previously I could not get the 4x4 with air suspension. I also wanted the new Mercedes unit. The 2020 also has a power side door. Closing my current one always had problems. The tv in front retracts saving my head from banging into it. Only big negative is the lounge 4x4 seats 7 not 9. They took the seatbelts away from the side seats. It is a weight restriction issue. Although difficult I can add the belts. I live in Florida so don’t know if I really need a 4x4. This last concern is whether I can easily get in and out of vehicle easily.