Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2018 - Current Globetrotter (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/)
-   -   Hard wired surge protector (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/hard-wired-surge-protector-201773.html)

Jimingram55 10-10-2019 11:31 AM

Hard wired surge protector
 
Looking for suggestions for where to install my 50 amp EMS surge protector. We have a (new to us) 2018 GT 27Q.

Aviator 10-10-2019 05:26 PM

If you can access where the power comes into the trailer and have room to put the unit there, that is my suggestion. Our 34' has a panel accessible via the rear hatch which matches that area and is where we installed ours. We were then able to run the cable for the display up into the trailer and place it in a semi-convenient area.

jeffmc306 10-10-2019 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimingram55 (Post 2297095)
Looking for suggestions for where to install my 50 amp EMS surge protector. We have a (new to us) 2018 GT 27Q.

Jimingram55, we were lucky enough to visit Jackson Center while our 27í GT was in production. I happened to take a photo of the street side before the interior was installed. You can see the power coming in and the controller before it was permanently put in place. It might help you visualize where your EMS might fit.

Good luck!
Jeff

ShinyPete 10-11-2019 06:16 AM

Hard wired surge protector
 
1 Attachment(s)
We have a Ď14 Flying Cloud 27fb twin. Same coach as your GT with different trim out.

I mounted our 30 amp surge suppressor under the floor of the center closet. I attached it upside down through the plywood floor/shelf with bolts and rubber isolators. The power cable comes into the coach in this space. I ran a new piece of properly sized romex from the input side of the surge to the power cable inlet, and moved the original wire from the inlet to the output side of the surge. Worked like a charm.

Your coach probably has 50 amp service, but same concept. If youíre not trained in electrical, I suggest a licensed electrician do the install for you.

Hope this helps.Attachment 354022

uncle_bob 10-11-2019 09:13 AM

Hi

The only two practical locations are at the power connector and behind the converter / charger (assuming those are two different locations :) ).

The converter / charger is not all that hard to pull out. Indeed disconnect the battery and shore power first. Past that it's a couple screws and likely a wire or three. Maybe 15 minutes if you get distracted. Once it's out, you will have a pretty good idea of just how much space you have.

Bob

RJJ 10-11-2019 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimingram55 (Post 2297095)
Looking for suggestions for where to install my 50 amp EMS surge protector. We have a (new to us) 2018 GT 27Q.

My 30 amp EMS is installed in the converter area. The remote pendant is on the wall above. Very convenient to keep an eye on my amp usage. 👀��

jec1 10-11-2019 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have the same model/year trailer. I mounted the EMS under the closet floor, there was a perfect place there to put it. Pull open the panel below the closet door with the heater duct vent. You can see the power inlet from there, and the power wire had plenty of slack to reach the EMS. Ours had nothing installed on the floor inside that compartment, and the EMS fit in perfectly.

We installed it in the line between the side power inlet and the electrical panel. This does not protect the line coming from the power inlet at the front of the trailer.

Mike1948 10-11-2019 10:01 AM

Jackson Center
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmc306 (Post 2297229)
Jimingram55, we were lucky enough to visit Jackson Center while our 27í GT was in production. I happened to take a photo of the street side before the interior was installed. You can see the power coming in and the controller before it was permanently put in place. It might help you visualize where your EMS might fit.

Good luck!
Jeff

Jeff
We have ordered a new 2020 25í GT and have considered going to the factory to watch it in production. Did you enjoy it? Did you get to have any interaction with the line workers?

Thanks
Mike

cptdzl 10-11-2019 10:53 AM

same here 2018 FC27FB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jec1 (Post 2297380)
We have the same model/year trailer. I mounted the EMS under the closet floor, there was a perfect place there to put it. Pull open the panel below the closet door with the heater duct vent. You can see the power inlet from there, and the power wire had plenty of slack to reach the EMS. Ours had nothing installed on the floor inside that compartment, and the EMS fit in perfectly.

We installed it in the line between the side power inlet and the electrical panel. This does not protect the line coming from the power inlet at the front of the trailer.


Ours is a 50 amp trailer so no issue there and AS did leave plenty of wiring in a big loop that I just split and wired each end to the surge protector. Just a thought (30 amp right) if your front power connector is only used for your generator that power source should be more reliable than the unknown sources from the various campgrounds. Also I "thought" with two connection points there is (should) be a transfer switch? I just looked at my manual and the wiring for the FC 30 does list a transfer switch.

Halford1 10-11-2019 11:18 AM

Pro and cons for having an installed surge suppressor:
Pros:
1. hidden from eyes... no more eyesore.
2. no more hooking it up every time you camp

Cons:
1. when it blows, you have to replace it. hire an electrician again.
2. more expensive: electrician fees and every time when it blows.

jeffmc306 10-11-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1948 (Post 2297383)
Jeff
We have ordered a new 2020 25í GT and have considered going to the factory to watch it in production. Did you enjoy it? Did you get to have any interaction with the line workers?

Thanks
Mike

Mike, we really did enjoy the tour experience. You are right up close but there's no real interaction with the line workers. They were very friendly but have a job to do so we politely stayed out of their way.

We should have allowed at least two days for the visit because even though our unit was on the line, we missed seeing it in the final stages by a half-day. The photo I shared was of a similar unit. The production manager managed to track down our serial number and said it was still in fabrication but if we came back the next day it would "make the turn" and be in final assembly. I had to be back to work so they allowed me to take some photos of another GT.

If you go, tell the tour guide at the beginning that you're there to see your new trailer and give him the SN. They'll do their best to track it down and allow you to take photos. I've seen post by other owners who were luckier and got to go inside their unit (end of the work day?) Ask your dealer for the build date and VIN. Then, check back within a week of the build to see if the date changed. Ours was ordered in early December 2018 and hit the line the week of April 1. It only slipped one week from the original build date.

*I did see where Airstream was going to suspend plant tours as they get closer to moving into the new building so check with your dealer / call Airstream to confirm.*

Good luck and hope you can go!

jec1 10-11-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptdzl (Post 2297403)
Just a thought (30 amp right) if your front power connector is only used for your generator that power source should be more reliable than the unknown sources from the various campgrounds. Also I "thought" with two connection points there is (should) be a transfer switch? I just looked at my manual and the wiring for the FC 30 does list a transfer switch.

Our manual does show a transfer switch, and in our manual packet we have a manual for a WFCO T-30 automatic transfer switch. By default, the switch passes power through the side inlet (shore power), and if power is applied to the forward inlet (generator power), it automatically switches to that source in 20-30 seconds. We have never had a reason to use the forward power inlet.

Mike1948 10-11-2019 04:52 PM

Jeff
Thank you very much for your reply. Our dealer is going to let us know the build date and serial number and will make sure to contact the tour department before I take off. We took the tour a few years back. This will be our second AS.
On another note I plan on using an external surge protector. Have you ever used one?

uncle_bob 10-12-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halford1 (Post 2297418)
Pro and cons for having an installed surge suppressor:
Pros:
1. hidden from eyes... no more eyesore.
2. no more hooking it up every time you camp

Cons:
1. when it blows, you have to replace it. hire an electrician again.
2. more expensive: electrician fees and every time when it blows.

Hi

Pros:

1) It's out of the rain, snow, mud and dirt. It does not rot away in a couple years
2) It has a nice readout you can see inside the trailer and understand what's going on.
3) You don't have to store it in a (scarce on an AS) outside storage locker

Cons:

It's a DIY job to put it in or do something with it ..... oh my aching back .... :)

Bob

jeffmc306 10-12-2019 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1948 (Post 2297496)
Jeff
Thank you very much for your reply. Our dealer is going to let us know the build date and serial number and will make sure to contact the tour department before I take off. We took the tour a few years back. This will be our second AS.
On another note I plan on using an external surge protector. Have you ever used one?

Mike, you are most welcome, glad it was helpful. Yes, I use a Progressive 50a unit: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x

It saved us on our last trip in a state campground; tripped on under voltage which can be a silent killer of high draw units like Air Conditioners. If youíre getting dual air, Airstream provides a 50a to 30a dog bone. I also picked up a 10í 30a extension cord for the generator and put the EMS in the middle. Just get a grounding plug for the generator which tricks the EMS from seeing the floating ground on the genset.

Good luck!
Jeff

Mike1948 10-13-2019 09:21 AM

Jeff
Thank you for the heads up on the generator. I have used that very model before but I didn’t ground it. I’m not familiar with a ground plug. I suppose you can buy them from Champion. What did you use?
Thanks
Mike

jeffmc306 10-13-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1948 (Post 2297798)
Jeff
Thank you for the heads up on the generator. I have used that very model before but I didnít ground it. Iím not familiar with a ground plug. I suppose you can buy them from Champion. What did you use?
Thanks
Mike

Mike, sure thing! Itís actually called a neutral ground bonding plug. I found one by Southwire at Camping World but you can find them on Amazon too. You can make your own if you want (Google it).

Hereís the one I have: https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...g-model-44400/

Mike1948 10-13-2019 10:27 PM

Jeff thanks. I glad I ran into you on here. I’ve learned a lot.

emelaich01 10-15-2019 06:46 AM

I installed our Progressive 50A behind the breaker panel in our '17 FCFB, i.e., under the bed.

After reading other posters' comments, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably install it closer to the inlet, near the furnace as there seems to be room there, too.

No worries about the unit failing and having to (un)install it--the sacrificial parts are on a circuit board that slips out of the casing once the cover's removed and the relay or contactor while of Chinese mfg seems fairly robust.

wave man 10-20-2019 01:20 PM

Ayup
 
What emelaich01 said is true, you call Progressive and they'll help you through the process, only a component is replaced and they'll know what to send you.
The rest of the hardware stays in place. You can even call them before you need it and get a back-up component in advance...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.