Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Can the Magnum perform an equalization charge? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/can-the-magnum-perform-an-equalization-charge-200778.html)

1919 09-14-2019 09:07 AM

Can the Magnum perform an equalization charge?
 
The 19 has two Lifeline AGM batteries. Can the Magnum inverter perform an equalization charge?

uncle_bob 09-14-2019 10:14 AM

Hi

Does the voltage go to about 14.4 V? If so it's doing an equalization. If it's always down 13.6 or less then not so much.

Bob

1919 09-14-2019 11:08 AM

14.4 is Absorbtion voltage
 
Bob, according to the Lifeline AGM manual, 14.4V is an absorption voltage at 70 degrees F. (Page 19). Using the same 70 degrees F, the conditioning or equalization voltage should be around 15.58V for eight hours. (Page 20). I am pretty sure the Magnum can do it, not sure how to do it.

1919 09-14-2019 11:14 AM

I think I found it.
 
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/news/201808/how-start-equalization-charge-me-artr

If we had the above controller, which would replace the smaller controller, we could equalize/condition the batteries easily with the magnum. Maybe our controllers can do it as well...off to investigate.

uncle_bob 09-14-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1919 (Post 2288567)
Bob, according to the Lifeline AGM manual, 14.4V is an absorption voltage at 70 degrees F. (Page 19). Using the same 70 degrees F, the conditioning or equalization voltage should be around 15.58V for eight hours. (Page 20). I am pretty sure the Magnum can do it, not sure how to do it.

Hi

I don't know of any RV converter / charger that is going up above 15V as a normal part of it's operation. In general that's not a real good idea. Simply put, this *is* what boils batteries. An AGM can indeed "boil dry" .....

Bob

Alex AVI 09-14-2019 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Straight of off the MAGNUM ME-MR Remote Handbook that controls the MAGNUM MMS Series Inverter Charger.

Equalization is not considered "normal part of operation" because it is a deliberate over-charging. BUT it can be used carefully under monitored conditions only if a real need arises. It can reach 15.5v (for 12v batt) depending on which AGM or if a Flooded batt. Some AGM's can not be Equalized. The question is why are you thinking of equalizing if batts are running ok? Please read below:

1919 09-14-2019 12:17 PM

Well, I answered my own question....
 
If I had only read the manual. Using the ME-MR controller, we can equalize/condition the Lifeline AGM batteries! Page 18 of the controller manual is how to do it, page 20 describes why it is necessary for good battery health. There are two conditions that must be met. One, you must be plugged into A/C power. Two, the batteries must be fully charged and in float mode. The manual also goes into detail of how to confirm/change your charge profile. Silly me. Sorry for the post, if I had only read the manual.

1919 09-14-2019 12:25 PM

What the need for me.
 
I boondock a lot, three weekends in a row, one of those for three days. My batteries didn't seem to hold a charge, like they have in the past, and I noticed that at a normal State of Charge (SOC) was only 12.6 volts at best. Should be closer to 13.00.

Here in Washington's fall weather, I normally run the Truma heater AND the compressor fridge all night on battery, battery/gas for the Truma. Normally wake up to 12.5 voltage. Lately it has been 12.10 with the low voltage alarm going off on the CZONE display.

Me thinks it time to condition/equalize the two Lifeline AGM batteries on board. I have a 2019 19'.

1919 09-14-2019 12:30 PM

Also...
 
Looking at the chart you attached, it was pretty much spot on regarding the 15.5 volts for equalization for the Lifleline AGM. Not worried about much off gassing, as the AGM's are sealed. In fact, they are mounted under the chassis in the 19' AND are on their sides, terminals 90 degrees from vertical.

Alex AVI 09-14-2019 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1919 (Post 2288595)
I boondock a lot, three weekends in a row, one of those for three days. My batteries didn't seem to hold a charge, like they have in the past, and I noticed that at a normal State of Charge (SOC) was only 12.6 volts at best. Should be closer to 13.00.

Here in Washington's fall weather, I normally run the Truma heater AND the compressor fridge all night on battery, battery/gas for the Truma. Normally wake up to 12.5 voltage. Lately it has been 12.10 with the low voltage alarm going off on the CZONE display.

Me thinks it time to condition/equalize the two Lifeline AGM batteries on board. I have a 2019 19'.

1919 - Given your usage, you may be in that group that needs to equalize every so often. I can not personally confirm this because I am not a boondocker, but just based on what Magnum recommends below, you prob. fit the profile of those who can benefit from it.

EDIT - yeah, off-gassing not much concern since outside. But heed the warnings about components. It's prob. best to disconnect the DC loads coz at 15.5v, some components may not be happy with that voltage for 4 hrs.

1919 09-14-2019 01:59 PM

Good point, Alex, not using any 12v devices for a time after. Reading the Lifeline manual, my usage and symptoms would warrant a equalize/condition charge. Here in the Northwest, solar charging has limitations. Today, my wife and I are boondocking near Snoqualmie Pass. It is raining and cloudy, and I ran the generator while making coffee, and making hot water using the 110 power instead of propane. Of course this gives the batteries boost, but not a full charge. Hence, the condition that would warrant a equalize/condition charge when I get home. This is the third weekend of boondocking. Next week, we are off to Bodega Bay. Outstanding campground to boondock, right on the bay. County campground, if you want to look it up. Bought the 19' Dec 31, and already have 13,000 miles on it!

Alex AVI 09-14-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1919 (Post 2288619)
Next week, we are off to Bodega Bay. Outstanding campground to boondock, right on the bay. County campground, if you want to look it up. Bought the 19' Dec 31, and already have 13,000 miles on it!

1919 - You put more miles in less than 1 yr. that I put in 2. Good job travelling. If you can, please post some nice pics from Bodega Bay when you return. Would love see recent pics of the area and your campground. There's an on-going thread to post Picture of your Interstate so you don't have to open a separate thread if you don't want to. When we lived in Bay Area, we visited Napa & Sonoma Counties often. Bodega Bay is one of my favs. But have not been there since 1999. Prob. good time for me to plan a trip. Thanks for info. ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.