Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Portable Direct 2 Sewer Outdoor Sink (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/portable-direct-2-sewer-outdoor-sink-199694.html)

Alex AVI 08-18-2019 01:58 PM

Portable Direct 2 Sewer Outdoor Sink

2 Attachment(s)
Portable Direct 2 Sewer Outdoor Sink

The typical AI limitation - small grey tank, small sink, small quarters for washing dishes & other small items (rinsing beach shoes, kiddo beach wear, even adult swimwear). Most campgrounds have laundromats and outdoor sinks but usually at a not convenient walking distance.

The typical campground full hookup convenience - a sewer port right next to the water source.

My DIY solution - a plastic dishwashing bowl with a strainer plug. Use ABS cement to assemble connectors, pipe, and bottom strainer that stands right on top of sewer port. Male/female threaded adapters allow disassembly of contraption during transport. Super light, virtually indestructible, and most important of all dirt cheap < $30

SteveSueMac 08-18-2019 03:19 PM

Seems so logical and a good design. Not to be indelicate - but how do you sanitize that? You’re sticking that pipe right in the sewer where everyone else has dropped their bio-hazardous waste....what are you doing to keep the bugs from crawling up the drain pipe or infecting the storage area where you pack it up when through?

rmkrum 08-18-2019 05:40 PM

Needs a P-trap somewhere or one of those Hepvo waterless trap gadgets in the line somewhere. Sewer gas and stuff ‘crawling back up’ is a real issue with this idea, just needs a few minor refinements.

Alex AVI 08-18-2019 06:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
STEVESUEMAC - I usually leave it connected the entire week, use the grey water discharge to hose off all the parts, then store on top of galley counter for transport . . . haha, :lol: gotcha LOL! Seriously, excellent question. It sits on the sewer port only as long as the washing/rinsing process is happening. Remove as soon as bowl water has drained. Spray Simple Green all-purpose cleaner, quick rinse & spray Lysol disinfectant & leave out in sun for UV sanitizing and ready for next use. Process takes 30secs. Same process I use for the macerator hose & reel & adapters prior to stowage.

It's straight pipe, so no ridges for 'stuff' to imbed, unlike the accordion slinky sewer hoses. ABS pipe & square bowl is strapped outside, under driver and/or passenger running board support brackets. I dont like the idea of storing anything related to sewer hoses, adapters, black tank back-flush hose, or tank chems inside the van. They all stored under chassis.

Attachment 349855

RMKRUM - strictly short-term use, I thought about the Hepvo or a check valve but then the price is not worth it for the 60secs to 240secs that the contraption is going to be used and immediately removed. Can't even find a 3" HEPVO but I have many pool check valves for my home in-ground swimming pool. However, the sink disconnects easily via threaded adapters, so it's an easy thread-on of my pool check valve should I deem it necessary. Usage is shorter than the dumping process of grey & black tanks (see reply to STEVESUEMAC). Also, the bowl has a rubber gasketed stopper/strainer that acts as a trap. Additionally, the storm/drain landscape strainer installed upside down has enough slots on it's circumference flange venting downside & sideways on the sewer port. That and it being outside, I not at all concerned with sewer gases or creepy crawlies :lol:

InterBlog 08-19-2019 04:55 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, this is for use with FULL hookups? Three-way?

On those rare occasions when we camp that way, I just use the gray tank as a pass-through device (the valve stays open all the time). I could put 50 gallons of water through the Interstate's plumbing and it would not matter; the size of the gray tank is mooted.

I can see the desirability if the need is to wash shoes and other items that one would prefer to keep out of the sink. In that case, I think I'd devise a splitter, so that the Interstate's gray water tank and the external sink could simultaneously drain to the sewer line.

^^ Spoken like a true mosquito and black fly PTSD victim. When the mosquitoes surge, everyone gets into the van, and no door is re-opened until they abate. So our on-board gray water system still has to function as designed, irrespective of what else might be in series or in parallel with it.

Alex AVI 08-19-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InterBlog (Post 2278723)
If I'm understanding correctly, this is for use with FULL hookups? Three-way?

On those rare occasions when we camp that way, I just use the gray tank as a pass-through device (the valve stays open all the time). I could put 50 gallons of water through the Interstate's plumbing and it would not matter; the size of the gray tank is mooted.

INTERBLOG - I do not connect to the sewer port until I am ready to dump either tanks. The macerator system with the 1" or 3/4" hose reel can not do a pass-through like the standard gravity dump with big 3" sewer hose, even for grey tank liquid only. At least not that I know of - unless I plumb a 3" gravity upstream of macerator, as some have done for use as an emergency macerator bypass when macerator quits. The macerator has to run for anything solid/liquid to dump. I am contemplating that bypass but not until I have reason to remove my existing macerator coz I don't want to break the seals on my (so far) leak-free macerator connections (knock wood) :innocent: