Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   5 states, 2 provinces, 2800 miles of trouble-free exploring (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/5-states-2-provinces-2800-miles-of-trouble-free-exploring-199036.html)

FlyFishinRVr 08-03-2019 10:32 AM

5 states, 2 provinces, 2800 miles of trouble-free exploring

Just thought I'd post a quick note about my recent trip up to Banff/Jasper and many points in between. Often times folks post about troubles they've had, and I think it scares some peeps away from this type of travel. Sure, troubles can happen, but it's not all doom and gloom. I was re-reading a post by ScottP and I think he summed it up pretty well: Get out there. Pick a travel rig (anything....Airstream, SOB, doesn't matter), point it in a direction, and go! Make awesome memories for you and your family. :wally:

On this trip: Bear? Yup! Glaciers? Uh huh (lots of them). Mountain goats? Check! Aqua blue lakes and rivers? Mhmm. Even had a friendly elk come by our campsite in Banff to say "Hello" and make sure we were enjoying our stay. :D Everything worked perfectly, and we had a great time. Memories made. :cool:

Safe travels.

Mansderm161 08-03-2019 11:34 AM

Awesome!

SteveSueMac 08-03-2019 11:37 AM

Love it! Those elk are right friendly! [emoji3]

DougFelts 08-03-2019 12:16 PM

We’re leaving in 4 days for our first trip to Banff! Can’t wait! What one thing should we be sure to do while we’re there?

FlyFishinRVr 08-03-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougFelts (Post 2272597)
We’re leaving in 4 days for our first trip to Banff! Can’t wait! What one thing should we be sure to do while we’re there?

Hopefully you booked your camping spots already as they are VERY busy this time of year. Jasper in particular is hard to get a spot for due to the various campground closures as they update/upgrade them.

The ONE thing to be sure to do when visiting that area is take your time to drive the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper, and stop at all the little pullouts to see stunning glaciers and aqua blue lakes. If there's a sign for a campground and hiking, stop in and go for a walk. It's so pretty up there! Also always have your camera at the ready. You never know when you're going to see a bear, moose, elk, deer, or mountain goat!

Oh....and one thing NOT to do: I would avoid Lake Louise like it was the plague. Too many people! The overflow parking 2km away fills up by 10am, and even driving a smaller coach through town is not recommended. Spend your time at the little pullouts along the way and you'll be much happier. :wally:

Have a great trip! :cool:

Sebtown 08-03-2019 07:48 PM

We just came back from the same 5 state 3 province trip at a little over 3500 miles. Flawless performance from the T1N 2007 Airstream Interstate. I agree about Lake Louise. We were fortunate to find a no reservation camp ground along the Icefield Parkway.

MJAI 08-07-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebtown (Post 2272730)
We just came back from the same 5 state 3 province trip at a little over 3500 miles. Flawless performance from the T1N 2007 Airstream Interstate. I agree about Lake Louise. We were fortunate to find a no reservation camp ground along the Icefield Parkway.

Lake Louise was beautiful but very busy place.

Tincampers 08-07-2019 05:10 PM

We visited Lake Louise very early in the morning and had no problems parking near the lake. You must get there as early as possible. Before 9am!

Sebtown 08-07-2019 05:28 PM

Thankfully we have been to Lake Louise in the past. We unfortunately arrived there in the middle of the day this trip.