Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tips for first timers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tips-for-first-timers-19484.html)

janetb 09-26-2006 01:57 PM

Thanks Deb. I read about the rally, and even though we won't have our new AS until Dec. we're seriously considering stopping by to check it out. We've been to the lake and what a great place for a rally-- more the kind of place we'd like to try to try our new and yet-to-be-acquired skills--not too far from home!
And DEO, we will definitely put your great tips to use. The link is going to be very helpful, as will the Woodalls.

janetb 09-26-2006 02:09 PM

OK, I'm just figuring this out and doing a pathetic job of it. I wanted to edit in a reply to DEO, who so thoughtfully provided us with some good info., and it didn't work. So again (hopefully...) thanks DEO!

redblaze45 09-29-2006 04:53 AM

how and where do i find out what type and year is my airstream?

CanoeStream 09-29-2006 06:58 AM

Good morning redblaze45 -- and welcome to the Forums!

Take a look at the VIN guides at the Airstream website's FAQs. Your VIN should be on your title, on a metal tag riveted to the trailer (near the door or else at front roadside?), and embossed into the steel of the A-frame.

You can cross reference to photos if you get close at the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives. Find yours?

TONI MAC 10-02-2006 04:14 PM

Toni Mac in Las Vegas

Hello to All - I'm the new owner of a 1975 Overlander 27. Just made the purchase of what some might call a salvage job! Good news is the body is in excellent condition, no dents or dings. Bad news is the interior needs alot of work - so I figure I won't be road ready for at least a year!! I don't care, I have been looking at many vintage trailers and Airstream is what I wanted. This one is a little newer than I was hoping for but better than many I considered. I paid $1500 - when I get pictures I'm gonna want everyone's opinion. I know I will be needing help and guidance in the restoration process and I have been very impressed by the willingness of all to assist! Looking forward to getting to know you all. Oh this all started with my desire to join up with the "Sister's on the Fly" - a vintage travel trailer group of women anglers. Check out their website www.sistersonthefly.com

Toni Mac

azflycaster 10-02-2006 05:59 PM

TONI - MAC ~ Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you bought a nice project for a good price. I was at a Tin Can Rally earlier this year which was attended by a bunch of "sisters". They are a very nice group of ladies! Best of luck with your trailer. Don't forget the pictures.

eikel1we 10-02-2006 06:36 PM

Welcome Toni Mac

Congrats on your new-to-you A/S and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have a great start (ie: nice exterior shell condition) to an exciting adventure.
What I know about restoration is ....um.... well, just about nothing. Except what I've heard & read. One hint that makes sense to me: take care not to throw away anything you may need for a pattern to fabricate something. If you can't fix it or buy it, you'll probably have to make it! Like a cabinet door or even the whole cabinet or an arm cushion, etc. You get the picture and speaking of pictures. Be sure to take pics, lots of pics and corresponding measurments, when appropriate, before gutting the interior.

A restro scrapbook is something you're sure to treasure at projects end.

We'll be interested in watching your adventure so be sure to post some of those pics for us as you go along.;)

Good Luck and Happy Camping!!
suz

Condoluminum 10-02-2006 08:30 PM

Janet-

There may be cabins at Lake San Antonio, or other places to stay nearby.. I'd offer to bring our rarely used 6 person tent, but it is pretty basic when surrounded by people with satellite TV, tempur-pedic mattresses and hot showers going for them... You will certainly meet people who are from all over northern CA (and a few from northern southern CA..) who have stayed in lots of wonderful places..

The answer to finding nice scenic places is to either boondock (stay at competely undeveloped locations - no water/power/etc) or to aim for county and state and national parks, rather than commercial campgrounds. Manyh of these are hardly advertised, and reservations could be a challenge, but they're worth the effort. Look for thread on state parks v. commercial campgrounds for some examples.. The AAA directory is not the greatest for non-commercial camping locales, since government parks rarely pay for advertising...

There are lots of people happily traveling in diesel pusher motorhomes and enjoying on-site restaurants and 50 AMP power hookups and other amenities inside their units, so close proximity to neighbors and concrete aren't considered problems...

John McG

bikestreamer 10-04-2006 09:01 PM

Just purchased a 1995 Excella 25' and will be picking it up Sunday. Our 1st Airstream, but I have looked at them for years. Will be selling my old 1988 Award 23'. The stream needs a little work, headliner section needs replaced and small water leak at fresh water fill but other than that looks good with a little cleaning.
We like to bicycle rail trails around the country on recumbent tadpole trikes (two wheels in front one in back) and wanted a little bigger trailer and a good deal availed itself. Hope to be traveling the summer and wintering in Florida where I own a bike shop on a 46 mile long paved rail trail. Will make the stream available for rent during the winter while it sits on our 5 acres. The 23' Award took us over 5000 miles but soon grew out of it and hope this stream will satisfy us for years. Won't know till we try. Excited to finally be an airstream owner and will probably be on this forum with questions a plenty.

janetb 10-13-2006 06:12 PM

Thanks for the tips, Condoluminum (love that handle...I'm going to have to ponder something more creative than my actual name...) We've been doing lots of research on camp sites and now feel that we won't have any problem finding places that suit us just fine. In fact, we checked out a few in our area (state and county parks) and found two with great ocean views and lots of space. Those will be our "maiden voyage" spots.
In the meantime, I'm stopping by the NorCal rally this Sat. and look forward to meeting some fellow streamers, checking out hitches, TVs, generators, etc.
:flowers:
janetb

TinRitz 10-14-2006 01:33 AM

how do I start a new thread??

I cant figure out how to start a new thread? where is the top of the posts button?:blink:

maxandgeorgia 10-14-2006 10:41 AM

"...headliner section needs replaced..." Bikestreamer, congratulations on your new Airstreamer. If you have not yet, you might use the search tool on the menu bar at the top of this page using key words such as headliner replacement or droopy ceiling to see solutions that others on this forum have made for this issue. We just recently used the screws/screw covers on ours and like the quilting effect. Just a suggestion:) ~G

Condoluminum 10-16-2006 06:47 PM

Secret New Post Instructions...

Tin Ritz-

In order to post a new thread, you have to start in the Forums section, where the underlined topics are at top, under the rivet tabs.. This is done to encourage posters to search down from highest level subjects and see if there is already a post similar to the topic they want to start... After you get down one or two levels (keep clicking on topics within maintenance or community or off topic...) finally the blue oval "post new thread" will appear at upper left at top of listings of existing threads...

There is even a thread or two of members venting about failure to scan existing threads before starting new ones... :cool: If you can find one with a title or subject similar to yours, it is better to join that one than start over, unless Moderators have closed it...

John McG

Dave Wile 10-18-2006 11:40 PM

First post - old Airstreams vs new ones

Hi all,

The first thing I need to do is change my user id! I left the "i" out of my last name. Of course, I see that almost everyone uses some nonsense name, so I might as well leave it. But if I wanted to, how do I contact the thread-master / site-master? Not one of the FAQs, apparently.

I'm interested in knowing whether significant design changes between old (vintage) Airstreams and new ones make it worth considering a new one. In particular, are they using significantly lighter materials now, so I could pull a longer one with the same weight? How about the frame and flooring? I have noticed that the tanks on the older ones are smaller. (Where the heck are they located?)

I would also be interested in seeing more detailed drawings of the Airstreams. The Airstream literature that I've seen - brochures and the Airstream website - is rather notional and advertizy - no real substance about what they contain, where things are located, and what options are available.

Thanks.

Dave Wile

CanoeStream 10-19-2006 11:16 AM

Hi Dave -- and welcome to the Forums! I'll get your screen name corrected to Dave Wile.

Airstreams are actually heavier now than they have ever been. The 1980s had a lot of longer trailers that developed bent and broken frames aft of the wheels, so frames are beefier now. You can almost guess that any trailer over 24' is about 1000# heavier now than 20 years ago. Ads don't show them being towed by cars like they used to. Beefy tow vehicles haven't given any reason to hold down weight but they aren't the most convenient things for driving around town or commuting. Fuel prices? News amnesia is already occurring now that prices have dropped a bit -- but this will be a recurring problem that won't go away. It's hard to speculate but 10 years from now may look a lot different. Airstream-Europe is just starting up -- frames are lighter & galvanized, lengths are much shorter. I don't think Airstream will go strongly in this direction unless box RVs also head in the same direction.

I don't know of any one comprehensive floorplan source. As good a wishbook as any for older Airstreams is Vintage Airstream's Photo Archives. Any decision to go newer vs. 70s/80s vs. vintage 50s/60s really depends on how much time you have to put into a "project" -- one year of the occasional evening or weekend might only get you to the frustration point. A solid re-do can take 2-3 years unless you have a lot of time, resources and skills. Trailers from the 1990s and newer aren't work-free but certainly may be closer to ready-to-roll. Shorter trailers of any period are in highest demand and get snapped up relatively quickly.

Hang around and browse here. Continue to ask questions. You'll get a sense of where you want to go. The winter months will give you some time. Thanks for checking us out!

jwolf 11-05-2006 05:12 PM

Jan

Hello All,
Have figured out that this is the best way to visit with my husband SLOWOLF.
Ha ha . Look forward to seeing all of you at the next ralley.
:) :bb:

N8UW 11-26-2006 05:22 PM

First post

Hello and thanks,

I've been lurking for a while, wanted to get rid of the stuff at the top saying I haven't posted.

I can retire in 2012 with health benifits, and I'll have enough money, I am fairly sure, to buy new equipment and fulltime. I'll be 55. I have been to the tour in Jackson Center, and the Airstream dealers in Piqua and Columbus, Ohio. I've been all over the web looking at new and late model units, and I have Airstream and Arctic Fox on my short list. Plans are to buy a diesel pickup in 2010 and keep eyes open for a late model deal, or order new, most likely a 28 foot Safari.

Things may change, I'm starting to get the itch. Maybe I'll make the purchases earlier, and find a storage yard for the Airstream, and modify my garage to fit a 1 ton truck. I could get the unit out weekends/weeklongs.

Anyway, that's where I am, hello to all, and thanks for posting so much useful information.

Chuck & Emo
A '57 Boy and his '03 Dog
'04 Subaru Forester XT
'01 Kamparoo Cub
Lots of backpacking and day hiking stuff

nvestysly 11-26-2006 08:07 PM

Wow - Now That's Planning!

N8UW,

Glad to see you took the plunge and joined the group. As you know, there is plenty of great information here.

I'd say take the plunge - buy some equipment now. Satisfy that AS urge. It's great to do all that planning but 2010... 2012... That's much too far into the future. Heck in 4 to 6 years you'll want to upgrade to something different. Try something on now! Before you know it, you'll be out every time you have a chance. Forum rallies, WBCCI rallies and events, camping on your own - it's all great! Don't wait.

Wishing you the best in your future AS, Lucius

NC Gal 11-27-2006 06:49 PM

I got the 'goldmine; he got the 'shaft'!

Well...it's official...the judge signed the property settlement and dear
husband got the house AND the bills and I got the 1972 29' Airstream
Ambassador...I definitely pulled the long straw!!! :lol:

I am a 54-year old full-time student with a 13-year-old daughter and by January 2007 will be a full-time AS'r. We are going to stay in a year-round spot in an RV park here in Mocksville, NC so daughter will not have to change schools. We are actually quite excited about the move but I, as the adult, am a bit scared about all the things that I need to know about the trailer. Wish I'd paid more attention to the how's and whys' and what for's of how everything works. It will definitely be an adventure...just us gals...no family...no men...this should be good!! (LOL)

Would love any suggestions and/or advice...especially coming into the winter season. Are required to skirt the trailer as per park rules so thought the 1" styrafoam idea was good. Planning to put that inside and maybe lattice around the exterior to "hide" the duct tape, etc. Have worked a 100 lb. propane tank and gas service into my VERY tight budget so think that the basics are covered.

So thankful I found the forum...looking forward to becoming part of the "community" in-between my 19 credit semesters!

Mel 11-27-2006 06:58 PM

NC Gal, welcome! You definitely got a good deal there! You will be able to find the answers to all your questions through this community. Get to know the search feature, as there have been several recent discussions on full-timing. Good luck!