Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tips for first timers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tips-for-first-timers-19484.html)

JKCA 06-30-2013 06:55 PM

Hello my name is Jonard. My wife, Kim, and just purchased a 2014 International Signature 23FB from Covington, WA. We are going to pick it up next Saturday. We have been shopping for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.

This is going to be awesome!

SuperTrouper 06-30-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKCA (Post 1320527)
Hello my name is Jonard. My wife, Kim, and just purchased a 2014 International Signature 23FB from Covington, WA. We are going to pick it up next Saturday. We have been shopping for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.

This is going to be awesome!

Congratulations Jonard and welcome!

You'll find all kinds of great information here on the forums. We got into this a couple of years ago with a 27FB and we are having a great time. One thing you might find helpful is a book that covers all the little pieces of information missing from the binder of manuals that you'll receive with your new baby.

We found this guide to be very helpful for us when we started out on the Airstream journey:

https://airstreamlife.myshopify.com/p...o-airstreaming

After we read this book we were familiar with the basics and could search the forums for answers for more detailed and specific questions!

Best of luck to you and you've made a great choice!

Brad and Maggie

Condoluminum 07-01-2013 03:42 PM

Vickie-

If your husband still wants to push for Brand X Trailer, here are some logical facts you can share...

1. Lower Center of Gravity means safer easier towing.
2. Streamlined shape means less wind resistance, less swaying in gusts and better mileage
3. Long-life double shell aluminum frame means much lower depreciation and better retained value
4. Airstream is the only trailer that comes with a group of friends you haven't met yet! Whether here on Forums and Forum rallies, or Rich Luhr and Brett's "Aluma-events" or the Wally Byam club activities, Airstream owners find themselves talking to strangers and making new friends in ways other trailer brand owners just don't...

We owned a Nomad Weekender for more than 10 years before acquiring our used Airstream.. Really very different experiences...

rdinflatrock 07-01-2013 08:07 PM

Greetings From Flat Rock

Hopefully I won't embarrass my wife and children when we pull into the first rest stop on our maiden trip.

Protagonist 07-11-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdinflatrock (Post 1321113)
Hopefully I won't embarrass my wife and children when we pull into the first rest stop on our maiden trip.

Nonsense! Rest stops are easy; park alongside the semis. The semi parking at most highway rest areas is designed for pull-through, no backing, and the parking lanes (can't really call them spaces) are a lot wider than a standard automotive parking space.

One word of advice in the rest area, don't pull all the way to the front of the parking lane (which is probably about 65' long) you want later arrivals to see the back of your trailer even if a semi is parked alongside, so they don't mistake it for an empty lane and try to pull in. Just pull in far enough that the back of your trailer is inside the parking lane; the front of your tow vehicle may be a good 20 feet from the front end of the lane, but that's okay.

In my case, with an Airstream Interstate class B pulling a Honda Fit hatchback, the whole rig is only about 40 feet long. I pulled all the way up, and nearly got rear-ended by a semi that thought the lane was empty until he got far enough into his turn to see around the semi parked alongside me. Good thing he had quick reflexes and good brakes! He's the one who told me this trick about parking toward the back of the parking lanes.

johnamjr 07-12-2013 07:46 PM

New Maryland AS owners.

Hello I am John, my wife and I just purchased a 25' 1970 tradewind. We had been keeping an eye out for one for a few years. And jumped on this one when we saw it. Its All original with most everything still working, needs alot of light bulbs. Have not yet tested the water system yet but it appears to have antifreeze in the tanks. Keeping my fingers crossed. I can see there is a wealth of info on here an look forward to sharing our AS journey.

Sbb 07-12-2013 07:53 PM

Ohio Turnpike is great for travel overnites, three rest areas in each direction have designated RV parking, plug in for 30 & 50amp, picnic tables, wAter and dump. There is a small fee and it is safe. Easy to contune journey in AM.

webspinner 07-19-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnamjr (Post 1326019)
Hello I am John, my wife and I just purchased a 25' 1970 tradewind... Its All original with most everything still working, needs alot of light bulbs.

Welcome to AirForums. One tip to newcomers who've bought a vintage unit is to install LED lights whenever possible. They're pricey up front (getting better all the time) but they pay off in the long run and they make it much easier to get off the grid. Getting away from plug-in campgrounds is one of the great joys we've had with our trailer.

We've taken apart or fiddled with just about every part of our '71 Tradewind, so if you have questions about yours, drop us a message.

johnamjr 07-23-2013 10:18 AM

Yup just ordered all new led running lights. Thanks

rmkrum 07-23-2013 11:57 AM

Antenna possibilities

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariposa Jim (Post 809395)
Hi, Just joined tonight. We have a 27' Front Bedroom and we pull with a Suburban. This is our 2nd Airstream. My question is What is the best way to and place to put a ham multi-band antenna on these things??? Any other Hams out there?

KF6WKU

One way to do it is a screwdriver antenna with a controller. I have a Yeasu FT-857 with an ATAS-120A antenna. The controller is built into the rig. Antenna mounted on top of the trailer, well grounded and bonded to the roof, on a tilt-up mount that raises the antenna when needed. Also have a connection in the refrigerator space that allows connecting an alternate external antenna when desired. Seems to be the simplest method. Antenna folds forward to help keep wind-driven water out of it's guts when on the move.

KE4GNK

CAD6954 12-15-2013 03:23 AM

Having a hard time sending message in regards to 25' Excella in Florida.
Chuck

Aage 12-15-2013 07:44 AM

Try sending one with no links in the message and no images attached. You need to get past ten posts before those will go unaided.

rdinflatrock 12-16-2013 07:23 AM

I too had problems but just received an email from the seller he sold it to the first person that contacted him. I would agree, someone goy what appeared to be a really good deal.

Alphonse 02-05-2014 11:56 AM

Deleted

SuperTrouper 02-05-2014 08:39 PM

First Timer tips:
Chocks First, Chocks Last
Seek to understand how to leave a parking lot before seeking to enter it.
Departure Walk Around: Look up, look down, look all around.
Physics, it's not just a good idea,.....it's the law!
If a place don't feel right, move along.

Protagonist 02-06-2014 05:10 AM

My best tip for first-timers…

When in doubt, ASK!

Fellow campers are usually willing to help with whatever problems you may have; we all remember when we were first-timers.

Seven Brook 02-12-2014 11:54 AM

Hello! My husband and I are new members! We just purchased a 1995 25ft Airstream Excella. We are very excited to start our camping adventures when this Southern snow storm passes! However, we are not new to camping, just new to the Airstream! I have a family member who owns an Airstream and that is how we got started! The rest is history! Looking forward to meeting nice folks and making new Airstream friends!
Seven Brook

ricks-vt 02-12-2014 12:49 PM

Welcome. You have come to the right place- lots of friends a and good information. Too bad the weather had to interfere with your first trip. Hopefully spring will be here soon. Good luck.

sandlapper 02-12-2014 02:24 PM

Hello sister....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven Brook (Post 1414912)
Hello! My husband and I are new members! We just purchased a 1995 25ft Airstream Excella. We are very excited to start our camping adventures when this Southern snow storm passes! However, we are not new to camping, just new to the Airstream! I have a family member who owns an Airstream and that is how we got started! The rest is history! Looking forward to meeting nice folks and making new Airstream friends!
Seven Brook

...glad you found your way to Airstreaming and the forums. You will love it. I hope we have an early spring so we can roll out!!! Looking out the window right now though, with snow on the ground here in SC, Spring seems a long way off.

John

korn 02-13-2014 02:39 PM

Hi ya'll!

Tom and Loretta here, we dragged a 1991 29 foot Excella home last weekend.

I must have bought this thing with my eyes closed, boy, does it need a lot of work.

Worst is sub floor repair/replacement.

I know there is a ton of info, but it's hard for me to search through all the results.

Can anyone post a link to a basic how to floor replacement?

Thanks, even with all the warts, I love this trailer!