Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tips for first timers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tips-for-first-timers-19484.html)

garydigdug 02-03-2008 06:57 AM

Well,you can see by my profile that I did it. Colonial Airstream was great. They are excited about what they sell and know all about them. I just wish they were closer so I can take the AS up for service. Maybe I will anyhow.

jude blue 02-04-2008 11:32 AM

Hi all, so who's out on the road today having a great time, I'm in MN, it is like Christmas again. We are expecting 3-5 inches of snow.

lisat 02-21-2008 06:23 PM

Hey all, new to the forum here. I've never owned a trailer, heck I've never even towed anything and can't park a Silverado! That said, I have a gypsy-like tendency to simply pack up and move to new places. Anything vintage Americana fascinates me, and Airstream trailers are no exception! I've started more seriously looking into buying one for myself so I can start really living like a gypsy.

I don't know anything about RV's or how to live in one, so I hope to learn more here!

Muddy Waters 02-28-2008 11:02 AM

Lisat, you sound like a lotta fun!

After spending about twenty-five years raising three children within a happy marriage, we've got one more left who's due to leave in two years for college. I am SO READY to pull up stakes and head out into the world. My DH is acclimating himself to my wanderlust and hopefully will be a good partner in this.

My goal is to sell our house, put our stuff in storage and head out in our Airstream. Now, we've never used our A/S yet which is the funny part! We'll probably take it out in early May for the first time due to some things going on here. He's nervous about it but I'm sure once we get the hang of it it will be fine.

Maybe if we do this I won't feel so restless all the time. We can find a place where we really want to settle down, even if it's to move back here to Oregon which is pretty nice. Lots to see and do.

Whatever you do, have fun, woman! :wally:

allenhughes 03-06-2008 07:03 PM

Catch the Airstream CRAZE!!

BarkerNW 03-21-2008 09:58 PM

My wife and I are relatively new AS owners and are inexperienced travelers. We've taken our 2007 25'FB on only a couple of trips since we bought it a year ago. We plan on using it a ton more this year. Since I work out of my house after starting a new job this last year, I can work on the road with the assistence of a Wireless Broadband card and mobile phone - gotta love technology!!!

Anyway-just trying to connect with other Aistreamers in the Seattle, WA area. We live in Sammamish, which is 15 miles due East of downtown Seattle.

Want to know some nice campgrounds within an hour or so away from here to take advantage of this beautiful area we live in.

Thanks for any/all reply posts.

Kipp

poprivet1 04-06-2008 04:32 PM

Pleased to be here

Hi to everyone on the forum. Looks like a good place to have started.
I'm based in the South West of England and am looking at buying a 1972 Airstream Landyacht with a completely rebuilt, but unfinished, interior. I know it well because I was employed by the owner to do work on it about 15 years ago when it was imported to the UK. It was never finished. I will view it soon and take photos/ survey it as best I can. I can honestly say I think the technical help, encouragement and general good will among Airstream owners will be a huge help to me. Can't wait.
Cheers!:D

Ronbo 04-06-2008 11:58 PM

Newbees

Hi all...
A friend and I bought 2 airstreams last week. Mine needs some resoration his looks almost new. There is a large number on the top of each one 21325 (mine) and 21818 (His)... What is it?

Ron from Saginaw

overlander63 04-07-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo
Hi all...
A friend and I bought 2 airstreams last week. Mine needs some resoration his looks almost new. There is a large number on the top of each one 21325 (mine) and 21818 (His)... What is it?

Ron from Saginaw

Welcome to the forums. Those Big Red Numbers are the Previous Owner's (AKA the PO) WBCCI membership numbers. Ours are 1801. The numbers should be on the front and back, and there will be, or evidence there was, a small circular logo above them, which is the WBCCI club logo.

nelson.groom 04-10-2008 08:43 AM

:flowers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet
Greg - for a detailed explaination of the warn meter - check out this thread. And relax..... welcome to the forums.

Spring in Washington ...lucky !

BarkerNW 04-11-2008 09:06 AM

We are lucky!

We love WA, it is the 9 months of gloomy days that are kind of hard...my wife and I are both originally Southern Californians. We are excited about de-winterizing our Airstream and using it a bunch this year. We have only had it for a little over a year and have only taken it out may 4 or 5 times. I want to visit some of the beautiful campsites that are in our state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelson.groom
:flowers:

Spring in Washington ...lucky !

SoonerStream 04-13-2008 09:10 PM

1971 Ambassador '27 foot

I'm brand new to the Airstream world and just checked one out. Owner is asking $7,000. It needs one new window, new awning, carpet and some cabinet doors. Brakes are supposedly good. I haven't run the electrical or fridge or A/C or any of that. I assume I should do that before purchasing....right. The trailer is about 1/2 hour outside of Austin on a ranch near Hwy 71 and Hwy 281 intersection. I'm really interested; but don't want lemon.

Advice ?

Mel 04-14-2008 09:06 AM

Hi Sooner, welcome! Check out this Price vs. Condition guide. Before purchasing, definitely try to test everything. A common seller's statement is, "Everything worked the last time I tried it.":rolleyes: Have the axles been replaced? Do you have any pictures you could share? That might help.

nelson.groom 04-15-2008 04:18 AM

71 sovereign rebuild project

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
If you are looking for an airstream....... Take advantage of this forum to ask questions. There are probably people in your area that you can find on here to inspect your new prospect and share very valuable advice before you make a decision. I wish I did! Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the first one I saw, ok second! Don't get me wrong, I do love it, but I sure didn't realize how much work it really needed. Lucky for me, I have some handy friends!

:cool:

- [as I fabricate new A/C cover ] any 71 quirks that you cqn shqre would be appreciated - amd beginning the inspect repair / replace process for full restoration...

strmstr69 04-19-2008 11:06 AM

Hey neighbor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkerNW
We love WA, it is the 9 months of gloomy days that are kind of hard...my wife and I are both originally Southern Californians. We are excited about de-winterizing our Airstream and using it a bunch this year. We have only had it for a little over a year and have only taken it out may 4 or 5 times. I want to visit some of the beautiful campsites that are in our state.

Welcome neighbor! I'm Dan and own a "vintage" Argosy. We are in Auburn, and are starting our re-hab for the yet un-named project.

Perhaps we'll see you around the northwest soon.

BarkerNW 04-20-2008 07:02 PM

Good luck on the renovation!

The work you put into your Argosy should be worth the effort. Old Airstreams are extremely cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by strmstr69
Welcome neighbor! I'm Dan and own a "vintage" Argosy. We are in Auburn, and are starting our re-hab for the yet un-named project.

Perhaps we'll see you around the northwest soon.

DreamStreamr 04-21-2008 07:18 PM

If you haven't already, look up a local unit of WBCCI and visit one of their rallies nearby. You can find their listing, schedule, and a contact name at WBCCI Unit Guide

Get in touch with their contact person, tell him you'd like to check out this Airstream thing, and they'll almost assuredly invite you in. We're hosting two local families during our Region rally this week. Neither has bought an Airstream yet and they are coming to this rally to get a look at Airstreams, Airstreamers, and maybe the club too.

texasbigjohn 05-03-2008 05:15 PM

64 tradewind

Hi--we inherited the 64 tradewind a couple of years ago and are just now getting after it (had to finish the house and garage first). First pass through will be cleaning, replace axle and tires, refresh interiors, running lights, then we hit the road for a couple of weeks. Will be relying on karma for the rest--we'll see what else we need from there. Happy travels!
Texas Big John and Sue

al66pine 05-11-2008 05:36 PM

We're new to airforums. Besides ads here, any recommendations for looking/shopping for an Airstream?
Mid-May, we'll drive from Midland-Odessa, TX to Wichita Falls TX, then I-44 thru OK, to St. Louis, Missouri. Later (June? July?) we'll return. We'll place a wanted-ad on forum, but open to other suggestions, especially if tying in with our trip. Thanks.

AirsDream 05-11-2008 08:14 PM

Shopping

is part of the fun. I spent nearly two years looking. Regularly read the ads from the Phoenix, Tucson, etc. newspapers. Visited Craigslist daily and searched the RV listings for "Airstream." Went online to big dealers' sites. Read the listings on this site. Missed out on two by hours ... so the only suggestions I have are a) know what is important to you - know what you want and what you'll compromise ong; b) learn values (that won't take too long); c) check out everything on a used trailer; and d) be prepared to move fast.

Happy hunting!