Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tips for first timers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tips-for-first-timers-19484.html)

Janet H 12-03-2005 04:17 PM

Tips for first timers

1 Attachment(s)
Hi and welcome to the Forums. This introduction Sub-forum is the place to introduce yourself to the rest of the community and try out your first post. Tell us about your trailer or if you've just begun to look for one, how long you've had it, etc - we want to know!

The Forum is divided into subsections, each with a different topic. If you have questions about a specific issue, say "how do i fix my furnace", please post those questions in the appropriate sub-forum.

To post an introduction, click on the "new thread button at the top of the posts list and have at it.

Welcome aboard.

fuzzywickle 12-24-2005 10:49 PM

Have been trying to post -when i attempt to send the post I am told to log in and when I do i find the post but not the title has vanished.I have posted successfully by redoing the message but would rather not have to take the long route any suggestions

overlander63 12-25-2005 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzywickle
Have been trying to post -when i attempt to send the post I am told to log in and when I do i find the post but not the title has vanished.I have posted successfully by redoing the message but would rather not have to take the long route any suggestions

The forum software is a little fussy sometimes (the understatement of the year). If you continue having this problem, copy your post so if it disappears you can simply paste it and not lose any info.

driftwood 12-25-2005 11:26 AM

Eureka !!

This just HAS to be the thread to put THIS! :brows:

cammur 12-25-2005 01:25 PM

Little Billy LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwood
This just HAS to be the thread to put THIS! :brows:

Worth the click! Thx, and Merry Christmas to everybody.

SilverSurfer 12-27-2005 07:30 PM

1st Timer Tips!

If you are looking for an airstream....... Take advantage of this forum to ask questions. There are probably people in your area that you can find on here to inspect your new prospect and share very valuable advice before you make a decision. I wish I did! Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the first one I saw, ok second! Don't get me wrong, I do love it, but I sure didn't realize how much work it really needed. Lucky for me, I have some handy friends!

:cool:

GreggH 01-28-2006 10:53 PM

Hi, Just joined the board tonight and just posted my first message, poll section. In profile it has warn:0% followed by some small red squares, what are these, I don't see them on anyone else. Surely I haven't had time to offend anyone lol. Just wondering. thanks

Buttercup 01-28-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreggH
Hi, Just joined the board tonight and just posted my first message, poll section. In profile it has warn:0% followed by some small red squares, what are these, I don't see them on anyone else. Surely I haven't had time to offend anyone lol. Just wondering. thanks

Moderators will use that if you are a little out of line in a post such as attacking someone. Use the search feature and search about it - or really anything - on the forums. There is so much info here and search will become your best friend.

Janet H 01-28-2006 11:09 PM

Greg - for a detailed explaination of the warn meter - check out this thread. And relax..... welcome to the forums.

GreggH 01-28-2006 11:12 PM

Thank you for your reply and I will do a search. But since my first post was voting in a poll and saying that although I did not read it before my purchase, I felt it was going to be a very enjoyable experience to visit here, I just don't know what could have been questionable. :sad:

GreggH 01-28-2006 11:18 PM

OK, I read it. Now I know why I can't see anyone elses and it says 0% so I feel better. My dh and I have both been reading tonight and I thought I got him in trouble already with our first post. :lol: I do that enough in the offline world:lol: Thanks much, back to reading and enjoying this helpful forum,
Cyndi

Buttercup 01-28-2006 11:18 PM

Well the warn thing is there all the time and you will always see it. Hopefully it will not go above 0% for any length of time:brows:.

ZoominC6 01-29-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet
Greg - for a detailed explaination of the warn meter - check out this thread. And relax..... welcome to the forums.

Janet,

Thanks for clearing that up! I always wondered why nobody else had this showing.

POP

roderickm3 02-05-2006 10:45 AM

Hi to all I've just found this site and am the ? PROUD ? owner of a 1978 28' Argosy nickname "SHAGADELIC" . That in my dreams has the paint job of the corvette in the Austin Powers movie (the American flag ) we will see. I'm in and around Boston Mass the Meca for R.V.ing and outdoor sports. Best of luck in the future to you all and to all al good night.Rod MAc Donald

davidz71 02-05-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roderickm3
Hi to all I've just found this site and am the ? PROUD ? owner of a 1978 28' Argosy nickname "SHAGADELIC" . That in my dreams has the paint job of the corvette in the Austin Powers movie (the American flag ) we will see. I'm in and around Boston Mass the Meca for R.V.ing and outdoor sports. Best of luck in the future to you all and to all al good night.Rod MAc Donald

Rod,
Now that would be one cool paint job and a heck of an attention getter.

Bob Fisher 03-07-2006 09:29 AM

New memeber introduction

Greetings Ya'll. My wife Elaine and I have been looking for campers for thr two of us that would fit her and i after boys are gone in a year or two.
We were also wanting something for us to share together in retirement.We had talked about Airstrems and I vividly remember being intriqued at the rallies up the street from home growing up in Sarasota.
Long story short we found this sovereign close by and good shape and we see this as not only a (camper) but more a new life and shared interest.
Our only concerns at the moment is that we have a 97 dodge ram 2500 conver.van and not sure of the compatability for towing.
Well.. We just want to say hi and hope to see ya'll mar15th in Rhine ga. bye.:) :)

nickvansant 03-07-2006 06:09 PM

Hooked!

Greetings to fellow travelers. As a veteran sailor, who has always lived too far from the boat, having our new (to us) Argosy has been great. In the sailing realm, Sallie always said she'd not be happy with anything less than a Hinckley. Whew!
So when we decided to swallow the anchor how could I be surprised that joy could only reside in an Airstream? We bought this trailer from a fine traveller in San Diego who kept it in fine condition. We drove out last summer and spent 4 weeks coming home across the country. Where were all the Airstreams? Saw few on the road out west.
Very excited to begin the season at Salisbury Beach in April. I'll be the one wavin' as we go by.

myboyburt 03-07-2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickvansant
Greetings to fellow travelers. As a veteran sailor, who has always lived too far from the boat, having our new (to us) Argosy has been great. In the sailing realm, Sallie always said she'd not be happy with anything less than a Hinckley. Whew!
So when we decided to swallow the anchor how could I be surprised that joy could only reside in an Airstream? We bought this trailer from a fine traveller in San Diego who kept it in fine condition. We drove out last summer and spent 4 weeks coming home across the country. Where were all the Airstreams? Saw few on the road out west.
Very excited to begin the season at Salisbury Beach in April. I'll be the one wavin' as we go by.

nickvansant,

I'm so happy that you folks are planning to join us at the WBCCI New England Unit's "Spring into Camping" Rally. I'm looking forward hearing about your adventures in your Argosy so far. BTW, since you were wondering where all the Airstreams were as you traveled across country I think you will be pleased with the number of rigs that attend NEU events. We've got a very active membership.

myboyburt 03-07-2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roderickm3

Well roderickm3, I'm happy to hear you've got yourself a hip "shagadelic" camper! I recommend you look into joining the WBCCI New England Unit. We've got lots of folks who are restoring/remodeling Airstreams and Argosys in our club and I think you'd enjoy membership. I'll send you a PM with club info.

angie 03-22-2006 10:03 PM

Help?!

Okay, this is my first post so I hope it is going to the right place. I have logged in to this site because I am looking into buying my first airstream. The one I have located is a 1975 sovereign and seems to be in good condition. I have always wanted a trailer like this one but no little about them. Because it is such a big purchase I was hoping to be able to get a little advice from those of you who already own them.

Some questions I have are:

How do I know if I'm getting a good deal?

How do airstreams fair in cold weather?

What should I check to make sure things are in good shape?

What are some things that you wish you would have known?

If this reaches anyone who can help me please email me at

autumnstar8@yahoo.com

thank you for your help:)

angie

firedog 04-01-2006 07:43 PM

Active New Member but Old Passive Member

Hi all,first I want to thank all the members,for writing their ideas and advice.I have been reading here for almost 2 years or more.I finally found my Airstream,a 1999 Bambi ,my first A/S.I did not think I would ever get one.Searching and looking and driving until I found this Bambi in my back yard, 10 miles from my home.My advice to first time buyers buying preowned A/S is to be patient and you will find a gem,like I did. Thanks Members. John.

amaral 04-15-2006 10:05 AM

Tell Me About A 1978 Argosy 24' Please Are They All Painted? Does 2400 Seem Like A Good Deal? Please Help

AYRSTRM2 04-15-2006 11:44 AM

Hi Amaral, welcome to the forums. Yes, all Argosy's are painted, and if you are buying a decent condition Argosy 24', where the running year is in decent shape, there no dents above the rubline, and some of the appliances work, such as the stove and maybe you have to replace the water pump or AC or fridge, then yes, that's a real good deal. If you're selling it, try to get $4000. However, we need more info to really help you nail it down.

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaral
Tell Me About A 1978 Argosy 24' Please Are They All Painted? Does 2400 Seem Like A Good Deal? Please Help

cmtrout 04-22-2006 08:06 PM

Hello from the St. Louis area

I am actively looking for a wide body model excella or Classic (year 1995 and forward) I noticed there were several models. Model 1000 etc/ what are the differences? Whats a good on to go with and what should I stay away from. What other forums list used airstreams?? Thank for you help

glennhake 04-23-2006 01:06 PM

Hi Airsteamers

My current pleasure is a 1958 airplane (Bellanca Cruisemaster), I thought it would compliment a 1958 trailer for my annual hike to Oshkosh. I'm enjoying this site as great educational resource as I look for my new project!

Glenn

amollere 04-24-2006 03:22 PM

I just signed up and don't know if this is how to "post an introduction or not" but am giving it a try -- please be patient as I learn!

My husband & I returned last evening from Pensacola Rally. This was our 1st and it was fun beyond description ! If all rally, rallyers & Airstreamers are as wonderful as these folks, we'll be Airstreaming the rest of our lives! Already wondering if our '62 Globetrotter is big enough for all the adventures we plan to take!

A....

rjsbambi 04-26-2006 08:38 PM

Should have viewed that first!!

SilverRanger 04-27-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amollere
This was our 1st and it was fun beyond description ! If all rally, rallyers & Airstreamers are as wonderful as these folks, we'll be Airstreaming the rest of our lives! Already wondering if our '62 Globetrotter is big enough for all the adventures we plan to take!

A....

Welcome to the forum. We've only been on two rallies with two different units, and both were a blast. If you think that old trailer is too small, feel free to drop it off in my yard anytime. ;);)

sarahseidelm 04-27-2006 06:41 PM

help!!

I keep tryinng to post a classified and when it down loads it just goes back to step one of creating a listing- I have tried it 3 times- arghhhhh! help

cptmorgan 04-27-2006 08:01 PM

Yo soverign boy, I did the same thing, but got a pretty good one. The best thing I have found sinse the big girl's birthday was to look at the web page for DIY network. They are still showing sections of their earlier program where they redo a 1970 airstream. Some good ideas, and maybe some good suggestions for how to do some of that work you have found necessary. Good luck with your silver bullet. Captain

GAZZ 05-05-2006 12:11 PM

Gazz

Hi everybody, I could use your advice about obtaining an Airstream. I have held a rather romantic view of selling up and travelling the world in an airstream trailer for some time. It all started when I went to a country show, and saw a huge RV. At the time I thought that was for me, but over the years I have thought about it and concluded that if I were to park one of these in a campsite, what would happen if I wanted to go shopping? or go for a drive? I would have to unhitch and drive into town . I have now decided that a trailer is the answer. I have deduced that Airstream trailers appear robust and have a good pedigree (Unless you know better). I can retire in two years at the age of 52 and have no children. I have loved travelling and would like to do more. I have seen the Airstreams around America and they appear iconic of the American dream. I would welcome your views . I have recently read on the internet that the newer Airstreams are not as well made as the old ones, is that true ? or is this a report from a disgruntled competitor. please get back to me. I intend to hire one to find out for myself but could still use your advice. Regards Gazz

markdc 05-10-2006 06:39 AM

Well yes new here and to Airstream

Bought this year a 2001 Landyacht XC360. LOVE this thing! Our first overnighter was in my Dad's driveway and we were real glad we din't leave it, woke up on travel day to snow and alot of wind. 1st trip was to Atlanta GA and WOW! We now have 4 or 5 3+day trips planned and get bummed that we stay home for a weekend. Love the coach, more comfortable in it than at home. Finally looking at fultiming in a realistic fashion. Our first set of "living aboard" research would have been on a 60' houseboat. One yacht for another!:blush:

Hoop 05-10-2006 10:59 AM

Newby needing help!!!

Hi Folks,
My name is James and am a Firefighting Pilot who lives in a 1979 Excella 500 during the fire season from May until October in Northwestern Ontario Canada. I purchased my Airstream from a dealer in Southern Ontario in early 2003. Everything worked okay for the first summer, but at the beginning of the 2004 season the Dometic fridge packed it in, then at the beginning of the 2005 season the AC unit on top packed it in. Luckily I was able to get the AC fixed easily, but the fridge was another matter. Apparently the only way to fix it is by having it recharged or replaced. I am hoping someone may be able to tell me if there is a company that could recharge my fridge for me in Ontario or Manitoba. I can't really afford a replacement at this time or in the near future. ( I am using a small electric fridge for the time being) Also, I would like to restore or refurbish the interior at some point and would welcome any and all advice on this topic. I have grown to believe that the Dealer I bought this unit from actually rebuilt it from a bunch of parts, (especially the interior) then unloaded it on a pigeon like me. I admit I didn't know much about what to look for when buying used, but I was really keen on Airstreams, both for the design and I hoped they would maintain a good resale value. Anyway, I am hoping that I can eventually restore or refurbish mine either to keep it or sell it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Condoluminum 05-10-2006 12:04 PM

How did it pack it in?

Hoop-

Welcome and sorry to hear of problems... Now that you've registered, you can use "SEARCH" feature in blue bar above to look for "Dometic" or refrigerator posts, of which there are hundreds..

Before sending you off, several things to consider and possibly try..

1. Most dealers and service shops prefer sellling new refrigerators to fixing old ones.. Not evil or bad, just fact of life in business, as repairs can be expensive and if it fails again the shop might have to continue working on it and lose money.
2. There are several failure modes. You didn't describe which hit yours...
a. Yellow powdery stuff on coils in back, smells of ammonia (It's DEAD!)
b. Works on 110V AC Power, but not gas (burner/propane/flue problems)
c. Starts up and quits within 24 hours, or won't start in either mode (Bad Control Board ($150 CAD)
d. Wiring failure or blown fuse/circuit breaker to back side of refrigerator

The control board failures are actually quite common, and you can potentially replace the board yourself with Dinosaur brand replacement unit, for less than 10% of cost of new refrigerator. Try to isolate the cause of the problem, and work with search feature to find messages here from people who've addressed those problems. If unit is going to be stationary summer home and has 110V electricity, you may get away with mini-fridge for a while...

John McG

Hoop 05-10-2006 12:39 PM

John,
Thanks for the reply and advice. WRT the fridge, it won't work in either mode, and both service people I had look at it told me that the rust inhibitor has crystallized inside or something and the coil or tubing on the back of the fridge is obstructed preventing the chemicals from flowing. It used to make a bunch of bubbling noises when I tried to start it up and it never got cold. Now nothing happens except the red light on the front comes on after about 30 sec. Will check out the forum as you mentioned. Thanks again.
James

Condoluminum 05-10-2006 03:23 PM

Still not hopeless...

I see you have jumped onto DOmetic Refrigerator thread, so I'll post a couple names of service shops over there...

John McG

Northerngal 05-16-2006 07:13 AM

Hello!

Hi,

I stumbled upon this site like Alice in Wonderland. Didn't realize all the excitement about Airstreams until
I purchased on recently. See it was meant as storage space and studio for me (knitwear design and textile arts) and looked better than a backyard cabana. Now I just want to restore it and start travelling! Maybe I can become a travelling knitwear designer.

Anyway the trailer is in good shape, or so it seems, but only time will tell. I only cared about it being waterproof when I bought it. The cabinetry is original although painted, the twin bed cradles are there, it boasts a lime green gas oven but all the upholstery is gone.

I'm looking forward to meet you and hear your stories.

Mel 05-16-2006 10:22 AM

Hi Northerngal and welcome to the forums! Good luck with your restoration and future journeys. :)

tolla 05-19-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Hi and welcome to the Forums. This introduction Sub-forum is the place to introduce yourself to the rest of the community and try out your first post. Tell us about your trailer or if you've just begun to look for one, how long you've had it, etc - we want to know!

The Forum is divided into subsections, each with a different topic. If you have questions about a specific issue, say "how do i fix my furnace", please post those questions in the appropriate sub-forum.

To post an introduction, click on the "new thread button at the top of the posts list and have at it.

Welcome aboard.

Janet- What is the "Rivet" thing?

tolla

Condoluminum 05-19-2006 06:31 PM

Rivets = Activity Report

The rivets indicate how many posts you've made (not read...)

You can track progress from New Member to first rivet quickly, Rivet Master indicates several hundred posts...

Welcome, and keep posting to earn more rivets...

John McG

philw 05-26-2006 08:18 PM

Hi, after months of following Airstream prices on eBay, I finally took the plunge and won an auction for a 1977 Ambassador. The outside is in pretty good shape, though the interior needs some work! First step is to replace the gaskets and seals and make it watertight; the plan is to have it ready to travel in the fall... This forum looks like a great place for ideas and tips. Thanks.

mountaincat 05-27-2006 12:36 PM

Hi all. I've owned my 1973 31' Soveriegn Airstream for exactly 3 hours now, and I'm totally excited. :flowers: I have many memories in my childhood in a 26 foot Caravan back in the early and mid-60's, as my dad was an designer/engineer in the Jackson Center, Ohio Airstream plant. He was good friends with Wally. We always had a trailer demo to take on trips, caravans, etc. to try out his designs. We went on several 2 month long carvans to Alaska, Hershey Penn., went to rallies, and spent many a summer in an Airstream in my grandfathers side yard in Ohio. Now, I'm middle-aged, finally with one of my own. My dad has a beautiful motorhome he built back in the 1970's. He left Airstream in the late 60's and started a company called Mobilux. He built several thousand and kept one for himself. He'll be able to help my husband and I with much of the work we need to do on this one I just bought. My husband and I have decided to move from Florida to east Tennessee and get an early start on our retirement cabin in the mountains. The first thing we need to work on is the frig. The dometic frig does not work, and the furnace pilot lite won't stay lit. We may be utilizing this forum for help. We'll be chatting later, I'm sure.
Amanda
"Mountaincat".

eikel1we 05-27-2006 03:48 PM

Welcome mountaincat,
What an interesting conection you have with A/S. You have come to the best place for advise on "pampering" your A/S. I hope you have the opportunites to make more happy memories ..... in your own Airstream. ;)

suz

Dave28C 06-02-2006 07:46 PM

Posting

Greetings: I tried to click the New Thread button, and nothing happened. So, I clicked Reply instead.

After 13 years with a Holiday Rambler Navigator, we're thinking of getting an Airstream instead. We're not looking for anything much larger than 24 feet, and we'd have to also get a new tow vehicle. Some years ago, I recall reading in Wired magazine a story about a modern design for the interior of an Airstream model. Does anyone recall the name and year of that model AS?

Dave C
https://home.earthlink.net/~dc1999/

Condoluminum 06-02-2006 07:58 PM

They are "International CCD's"

Dave-

Welcome and good luck in your search. Several years ago, Airstream got together with Christopher C Dean, an interior designer in northern Calif, and created the CCD line of International trailers. Very modern, light floors, wood stained black, bare anodized metal interior walls and bright colors. You can see several in the classified sections. Any trailer later than about 2003 labeled an International or CCD will have new style interiors. The other trim levels are Safari (lighter, less elegant) and Classic (Heavier wood furnishings, more ornate fabric interiors and heavy countertops, etc.).

As you will discover by searching, you can find modern interiors in old Airstreams, and many variations of interior design and floorplan and style with prices ranging from "nearly free" to "a lot..."

John McG

debbythesea 06-16-2006 02:13 AM

hoping for the Bambi 16' Quicksilver

:)
I've been 'lusting' over the Bambi QS, ever since seeing it online then going to the Denver dealership & seeing in the scrumptious 'flesh':lol:
I have a gazillion questions, but the most pressing ones are these:
1. What recommendations for vehicle to tow? Dealers have told me range of 4500 - 7000 #'s... I'd rather have an SUV, not truck.
2. I'll be traveling alone... hoping to explore the Eastern, Southern & Western seashores... leaving from Colorado. I have not begun looking at campgrounds in books yet, so any recommended ones along the coasts would be greatly appreciated.
3. Is it too difficult -backing- into the campground spaces, without a 'buddy' to help guide me?

I am getting so excited about this next journey.. I have raised my 6 kiddos..They are happy & healthy & doing their 'things'.. So it's my time now to get crackin :cool:
I love photography and journaling, so plan to send my kids, friends & grandkids LOTS of postcards 'from the edge'... I'm so happy my son, who is an avid kayaker & surfer found this site for me today, as he was reading the mountain buzz forums!

overlander64 06-16-2006 02:36 AM

Tips for first timers

Greetings debbythesea!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbythesea
:)
I've been 'lusting' over the Bambi QS, ever since seeing it online then going to the Denver dealership & seeing in the scrumptious 'flesh':lol:
I have a gazillion questions, but the most pressing ones are these:
1. What recommendations for vehicle to tow? Dealers have told me range of 4500 - 7000 #'s... I'd rather have an SUV, not truck.
2. I'll be traveling alone... hoping to explore the Eastern, Southern & Western seashores... leaving from Colorado. I have not begun looking at campgrounds in books yet, so any recommended ones along the coasts would be greatly appreciated.
3. Is it too difficult -backing- into the campground spaces, without a 'buddy' to help guide me?

I am getting so excited about this next journey.. I have raised my 6 kiddos..They are happy & healthy & doing their 'things'.. So it's my time now to get crackin :cool:
I love photography and journaling, so plan to send my kids, friends & grandkids LOTS of postcards 'from the edge'... I'm so happy my son, who is an avid kayaker & surfer found this site for me today, as he was reading the mountain buzz forums!

Tow Vehicle Selection -- my suggestion would be to obtain the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for the Bambi Quick Silver -- then look for a tow vehicle that has a trailer tow rating of 120% or more of that figure -- the extra 20% will allow reserve for passengers, surplus luggage, etc. There are a number of SUVs that would be capable of towing a Bambi Quick Silver -- I share a dislike of pickups and after two disasterous experiences with pickus, I splurged on a Suburban and have been a very happy camper for more than 163,000 miles (I need the heavier Suburban for towing my Overlander in the Rocky Mountains).

Solo Towing of Trailer -- there are numerous Airstreamers who travel solo -- in fact, there is an Intra-Club within the WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) for those who travel solo known as the Free Wheelers. There are a number of hitch "helper" devices that significantly ease the process -- I utilize a large, convex mirror mounted on a metal pole with a large magnetic base; this device is so useful that several of my acquaintances who travel with a companion choose to use one of these mirrors rather than the more traditional live assistant. Backing the coach takes practice, and it is highly advisable to find a lrage, open parking lot to practice maneuvering your coach prior to the first camping excursion. The small, single axle coaches react more quickly to tow vehicle inputs than the larger tandem axle coaches meaning that it may take more practice to develop the smooth, easy motions necessary to back the single axle coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

sburgess 06-19-2006 12:32 PM

Sue

My husband and I own 2 airstreams the first being a 1969 31' - which we use when we go hunting. The other being a 1971 29' - which we wanted to use for the beach - how ever - the previous owners did not take very good care of it and I have started gutting it. This my 2 or 3 (maybe 4) year project. I have removed everything except the wall between the bunks and bathroom. I have started taking the floor out. It appears the windows are leaking (thats why the floor is rotten) and I will have to take the inside panels off to fix I think (thats what I have been told). My hubands stays out and tells me good luck :lol: and to call if I need any help!!. My biggest problem is the floor... but I will deal with that once I get it all out. I look forward to getting everyone's input and help and support... Thanks

Lone Rangerette 06-24-2006 11:40 AM

I have recently joined "Sisters on the Fly" and have now purchased my first trailer, a 1969 Caravel, 18'. I see a lot of history on the older Bambies, like number of them manufactured, how many still on the road, etc., and wonder if anyone has the stats on the Caravel...what years manufactured?, #made?, etc.

Chuckles 06-24-2006 03:53 PM

Those rivets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condoluminum
The rivets indicate how many posts you've made (not read...)

Quote:

You can track progress from New Member to first rivet quickly, Rivet Master indicates several hundred posts...

Welcome, and keep posting to earn more rivets...

John McG

I too have been curious about how One acquires the rivet membership, is there a set criteria - number of posts or new threads per rivet?

Moreover, those little red warning squares had me worried too. I made a faux pas when I copied my say from Word (to make sure it was all spelt correctly you understand!) and didnít realise the text ended up coloured! I thought these warning squares were with me for life!:sad:

Out of interest, on the subject of strange (to me that is) terminology... what is a Blog?

Chuck
Dorset UK

sprosty 06-27-2006 05:31 PM

I'm new and very excited about my airstream, also looking for embroidery.

Hi,
A little about us and ours. We live in Utah and have 2 children left at home out of 6. My first grandchild is due tomorrow and we have reports of contractions.

We own a Sovergn and I am a little confused about the year because the title says an '83' but I couldn't find one when I registered so I just put '84'. We have had it for just a couple of months. We aquired it from my parents who just bought a brand spanking new airstream motor home and they have been traveling all over the country doing rallies. When our youngest moves away from home we may join my parents and the fun.

I love to embroider and would like to make some fun things with a picture of my airstream on them. I am a little lazy though and would like it if I could find where someone else has done the digitizing so I don't have to. So if any one knows where to find airstream embroidery designs I would really appreciate if you could share in the knowledge.

Our airstream has carpet in it and twin beds. Those are the first things we are going to change. We are installing wood floors and a queen bed so we can sleep together (I still like my husband even though he is almost a grandpa). With 6 kids and who knows how many grands will come, we feel the wood floor will be a great improvement for cleaning.

We have had a little problem with the electric trailer lift. It worked great when we got it but just quit one day. My husband is really great at fixing things so he checked it out and determined that probably the motor was bad. We ordered a new motor and it is still not working. If anyone has any suggestions we would love to hear about them also.

Thanks for reading and for the great site. I plan to visit often as become empty nesters I am sure this site will prove invaluable.

Cindy

damienp 06-28-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sburgess
My husband and I own 2 airstreams the first being a 1969 31' - which we use when we go hunting. The other being a 1971 29' - which we wanted to use for the beach - how ever - the previous owners did not take very good care of it and I have started gutting it. This my 2 or 3 (maybe 4) year project. I have removed everything except the wall between the bunks and bathroom. I have started taking the floor out. It appears the windows are leaking (thats why the floor is rotten) and I will have to take the inside panels off to fix I think (thats what I have been told). My hubands stays out and tells me good luck :lol: and to call if I need any help!!. My biggest problem is the floor... but I will deal with that once I get it all out. I look forward to getting everyone's input and help and support... Thanks

Sue, it will all go faster if hubby helps, but it sounds like you have a good handle on it!

I live in Australia. Have RV'd Europe, and would like to do some more.
Need a partner to do it with though. Would help if she's easy on the eye, can tune diesel and petrol motors, and perhaps give the house a bit of a paint too. :lol:

Bob J. Mariano 06-30-2006 06:49 PM

Washer / Dryer

Hello my name is Bob Mariano.......I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer............was wondering if you or anyone you know has ever heard of someone custome installing a washer / dryer in one? Please let me know.....and if I can contact that person concerning the installation? Also if anyone has installed more than one solar panel? Thanks.....
My e-mail is bobjmariano@msn.com

acrane 07-01-2006 03:06 PM

HI,

Alice and Spencer here. We just got our Airstream (1980, excellent condition) and we are in LOVE! looking forward to talking to all of you. We are from Stonewall, MS and hope to start traveling soon.

Alice

CanoeStream 07-01-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob J. Mariano
Hello my name is Bob Mariano.......I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer............was wondering if you or anyone you know has ever heard of someone custome installing a washer / dryer in one? Please let me know.....and if I can contact that person concerning the installation? Also if anyone has installed more than one solar panel? Thanks.....

Hello and welcome to the Forums Bob,

Washer/dryer - doubt many have done this. You'd almost have to be at a commercial campground with a water & sewer hookup at the campsite to handle the fresh and grey water needs. Your onboard tanks sure wouldn't be up to handling this and other water uses too. Draining grey water on the ground is a no-no in about all 50 states. I see and hear about the bus size motorhomes with washer/dryers. Many commercial campgrounds might have coin-op washers on site or nearby.

Solar is much more effective without trees shading at different parts of the day, so are more effective in the southwest. It has potential for keeping your batteries topped off during storage. Even small panels to mount inside a window have been touted for this. Airstream rooftops tend to be interrupted by many obstacles to install a large collector. Another handicap is limited onboard weight capacity for storage batteries. Cost is very high for the power obtained but may be worth it for a hardened boondocker. Regardless of battery storage no amount of solar will run air conditioning or microwave. Inexpensive by comparison, small quiet generators are a fair alternative but may not have the amperage to run your A/C; eg, you need two Honda eu2000i generators wired in parallel to do that -- I'm just talking about the generators that can readily be lifted in and out of a pickup bed or SUV. There are countless Forum threads that compare these alternatives. You'd find them by using dual search words, like 'solar' and 'Honda' (or eu2000i).

I camp a lot in state parks and usually am able to reserve a site with just the electric hookup. I can stretch my fresh water to 3-4 days or more without being too fanatical if I shower in their facility. I'm usually ready to move on before then, so filling up the tank fits right into that schedule. I like boondocking too and have a one Honda eu2000i -- up here we run the A/C very little, even when there is electric.

borisnovas 07-07-2006 11:55 PM

Hello,
I too, have a major renovation job to do on our 29' 1973 airstream and if your not too tired after working so hard, could you help me with your first hand knowledge? I am attempting to replace the rusted out steel black water tank that is mounted inboard and a/s of Ohio says "no way"- No one will fabricate a tank and I'm getting ready to forget this project and junk this money pit if this keeps up-Did yours have a steel inboard mountrd black water tank? thanx-dan

CanoeStream 07-08-2006 06:38 AM

Hi Dan,
Sounds like you've gotten on with your project. Glad you found the Forums -- and welcome! I would suggest the search function to find useful threads but it'd take some hit and miss -- I'm not sure what search words would lead this in productive directions.

My Argosy black tank was unique in being above the floor, so we may be talking apples and oranges. The grey tank below the floor has a galvanized steel box that protects the foam insulation around a plastic grey tank. I dunno...

A member who has done a lot of work with rethinking tank installation is Smokeless Joe at this thread. Also see here. Read the threads and maybe PM him if you want to chaw on this further.... We'd welcome your posting further questions and your progress. Glad to have you aboard!

wiley b 07-12-2006 01:49 PM

Hi Folks, I'm considering a new Safari 19' as a first Airstream experience. The concerns I have are not to many; foremost if my 2003 GMC Envoy will do OK as my tow vehilce, finding proper storage facility,and Picking out a good generator. Have a bunch of friends with RV's fifth wheels etc. and the Airstream has become our first choice in our decision to join in the fun.

TIMEMACHINE 07-12-2006 03:42 PM

Welcome

The 16 and 19 Safaris are the lightest of the current Airstreams, if your Envoy is a V8 with a tow rating sufficient to handle the 19 Safaris loaded weight or GVW you should be OK. Your Envoy's manual will have the tow capacity listed as well as the combined weight maximum (GVCW) wwhich is the total of your envoy and trailer, both loaded including passengers, fuel, water, etc. Some would say that the Envoy wheel base may be too short, but that seems to be more of a debated issue.

The Airstream website has all of the weights listed for your review.

Many current owners prefer the Honda 2000 watt gens. You will need two with the parallel kit (hooks the two together) to run the AC. They are very light and very quiet. There have been many discussions on gens, so use the search function and read up.

As to storage, that is area dependent, so check with the locals.

good luck and have fun

John

LLbove 07-18-2006 01:20 PM

Hello,

This is all new to me [joining,not camping].I have a 1969 25'Trade Wind that I am restoring.HELP I need a curbside wing window,glass,not the "new plastic ones they want to sell me.

So far this is the only part that has escaped my reach.Thanks for all your help!!

LLBove

lbove@surfglobal.net

Internationa 07-19-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Welcome aboard.

:flowers: I am a new member so please understand that

Internationa 07-19-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internationa
:flowers: I am a new member so please understand that

I belong to WBCCI and region 5 northern illinois unit

Pacerized 07-19-2006 08:55 PM

81 exella

This is my first post. I'm planning on purchasing a 25' 1981 excella this weekend, and am driving a good distance for it. I've recently read about the frame saging problem with late 70 airstreams with rear baths made during the Beatrice food era. The 81 I'm planning on buying has a rear bath. Does anyone know if this might be one of the lighter frame airstreams for which this problem occurs?

maddog 07-23-2006 01:04 AM

I'm a newbie and luv RV

Hi all! Glad to stumble upon this blog. :)

debbythesea 07-24-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings debbythesea!

Welcome to the Forums!

Tow Vehicle Selection -- my suggestion would be to obtain the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for the Bambi Quick Silver -- then look for a tow vehicle that has a trailer tow rating of 120% or more of that figure -- the extra 20% will allow reserve for passengers, surplus luggage, etc. There are a number of SUVs that would be capable of towing a Bambi Quick Silver -- I share a dislike of pickups and after two disasterous experiences with pickus, I splurged on a Suburban and have been a very happy camper for more than 163,000 miles (I need the heavier Suburban for towing my Overlander in the Rocky Mountains).

Solo Towing of Trailer -- there are numerous Airstreamers who travel solo -- in fact, there is an Intra-Club within the WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) for those who travel solo known as the Free Wheelers. There are a number of hitch "helper" devices that significantly ease the process -- I utilize a large, convex mirror mounted on a metal pole with a large magnetic base; this device is so useful that several of my acquaintances who travel with a companion choose to use one of these mirrors rather than the more traditional live assistant. Backing the coach takes practice, and it is highly advisable to find a lrage, open parking lot to practice maneuvering your coach prior to the first camping excursion. The small, single axle coaches react more quickly to tow vehicle inputs than the larger tandem axle coaches meaning that it may take more practice to develop the smooth, easy motions necessary to back the single axle coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

Thank you Kevin! I took your advice & found a Toyota 4x4 v8 to tow the bambi...which I am proud 'mommy' to now!

StreaminDiva 07-27-2006 06:04 PM

Needlework

Dear Cindy, I am a needlepoint designer and have a design of a n airstream trailer in my line. It's a cute piece for a pillow or framed. Let me know if yur interested.
Pat Sanguinetti @ Napier Needlepoint
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprosty
Hi,
A little about us and ours. We live in Utah and have 2 children left at home out of 6. My first grandchild is due tomorrow and we have reports of contractions.

We own a Sovergn and I am a little confused about the year because the title says an '83' but I couldn't find one when I registered so I just put '84'. We have had it for just a couple of months. We aquired it from my parents who just bought a brand spanking new airstream motor home and they have been traveling all over the country doing rallies. When our youngest moves away from home we may join my parents and the fun.

I love to embroider and would like to make some fun things with a picture of my airstream on them. I am a little lazy though and would like it if I could find where someone else has done the digitizing so I don't have to. So if any one knows where to find airstream embroidery designs I would really appreciate if you could share in the knowledge.

Our airstream has carpet in it and twin beds. Those are the first things we are going to change. We are installing wood floors and a queen bed so we can sleep together (I still like my husband even though he is almost a grandpa). With 6 kids and who knows how many grands will come, we feel the wood floor will be a great improvement for cleaning.

We have had a little problem with the electric trailer lift. It worked great when we got it but just quit one day. My husband is really great at fixing things so he checked it out and determined that probably the motor was bad. We ordered a new motor and it is still not working. If anyone has any suggestions we would love to hear about them also.

Thanks for reading and for the great site. I plan to visit often as become empty nesters I am sure this site will prove invaluable.

Cindy

coral 07-27-2006 11:02 PM

hi i am coral from louisiana. i am pruchasing an old airstream and wish to refrubish it. any help is appreciated.

fifthwheeler 07-28-2006 03:07 PM

Hi to everyone.

Hi,

We bought a fifth wheel Airstream Excella V 1980 a month ago. We would like to have a copy of the manual. We do not know how to start the furnace. We live in L'Annonciation, Province of Quebec in Canada. If is our first fifth wheel. We think that it was painted, by the way they did a good job if it was the case. We are very happy with the fifth wheel but we wonder if it is an original. Did Airstream built fifth wheels? We cannot find anything on that. Thank you for the information. :angel:

LA ByU 07-29-2006 12:27 AM

"hi i am coral from louisiana. i am pruchasing an old airstream and wish to refrubish it. any help is appreciated"
Hey Coral, I'm just down the road in BR and am rehabing my old 69 Safari while also working on my dad's 84 31' Sovereign. Just holler.

Hi ya'll! I'm Molly from south Louisiana. I grew up in an Airstream and have many fond memories from International Rally's, caravans, Regionals, and local rallys. I think I was a lucky kid to have travelled thru out this great country of ours, and seen all the natural wonders in our National Parks and then on into Canada's. For 2 months every summer for more than 10 yrs, we hit the road. Five of us in a 19' Globetrotter-that's togetherness!

We had bunks over the couches-can you still get those or were they an after-market product? I'm actually looking for the hardware for them-my dad had the 2 bunks & cushions in the attic. Can any of ya'll give me any clues on this? I remember they were installed by the local Airstream dealer, but ... that was yeaaaaaars ago. Input would be appreciated.

I'd like to put them in one of the trailers so the grandkids can use them.

Thanks,
Molly

JJAirstream 07-30-2006 01:47 PM

Hello from New User

Regards, from new user
Jerry

overlander64 07-30-2006 10:59 PM

Tips for first timers

Greetings fifthwheeler!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifthwheeler
Hi,

We bought a fifth wheel Airstream Excella V 1980 a month ago. We would like to have a copy of the manual. We do not know how to start the furnace. We live in L'Annonciation, Province of Quebec in Canada. If is our first fifth wheel. We think that it was painted, by the way they did a good job if it was the case. We are very happy with the fifth wheel but we wonder if it is an original. Did Airstream built fifth wheels? We cannot find anything on that. Thank you for the information. :angel:

Airstream produced Fifth Wheels for only a very short time. They were first piloted as additions to the Argosy trailer line then added briefly to the Airstream line. Production was apparently quite limited, but quality was comparable to that of the trailers and motorhomes of the period. There were a few problems with the bonded panel construction methods utilized early in the model line, but I am not certain precisely what the nature of the problems were. I believe that most if not all of the Airstream fifth wheels were painted in a silver and blue color scheme from the factory.

You might try contacting Airstream via their website. They list a number of manuals in their store. Another option would be to contact Secretarial Services as indicated in the information below quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club website:

Manuals

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin.

overlander64 07-30-2006 11:06 PM

Tips for first timers

Greetings Molly!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ByU
We had bunks over the couches-can you still get those or were they an after-market product? I'm actually looking for the hardware for them-my dad had the 2 bunks & cushions in the attic. Can any of ya'll give me any clues on this? I remember they were installed by the local Airstream dealer, but ... that was yeaaaaaars ago. Input would be appreciated.

I'd like to put them in one of the trailers so the grandkids can use them.

Thanks,
Molly

The Hammock Bunks were options available from Airstream Dealers (the same option was also offered on Argosy trailers). They were available from sometime in the 1950s through the late 1970s or early 1980s. Today, I believe that Inland RV may be about your only source for the attaching hardware for the hammock bunks -- I believe that they were offereing complete reproductions of the hammock bunks according to information distributed about a year to eighteen months ago.

I have fond memories of the hammock bunks as I slept in one on my first camping trip in an RV as a five year old in 1964 (I now own that '64 Overlander, but it lost its hammock bunks between the second and third owners).

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

M_Bowen 08-03-2006 03:10 PM

Howdy all!! Just traded my 1970 31' SO in on a 1976 31' SO and thought I"d join the forum. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Happy trails

don gardner 08-12-2006 09:01 PM

HI, Don here...
I have a 66-67? Caravel- Land Yacht 16'...Need to replace a window...any hints?
Also, looking to find a front wind/debris screen (the frame is broken)

overlander64 08-12-2006 09:56 PM

Tips for first timers

Greetings Don!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:

Originally Posted by don gardner
HI, Don here...
I have a 66-67? Caravel- Land Yacht 16'...Need to replace a window...any hints?
Also, looking to find a front wind/debris screen (the frame is broken)

Until very recently, replacing one of the Corning windows in a 1966-1968 Airstream was a very difficult task. Today, you can source reproductions made of glass similar to the originals from Vintage Trailer Supply at:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...lts.asp?Cat=25

For the front rock guard, there are three options. Search for an original with a good frame that can be rebuilt. Purchase a new rock guard -- it would essentially be the rock guard that is used on the new Safari line coaches with the single front window. The third option would be to fabricate your own rock guard. I believe that you will find examples of all three on the Forums by utilizing the Forum's Search feature.

Good luck with your Caravel!

Kevin

gsoter 08-20-2006 07:58 AM

Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you, we already have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this sight. I most definetly will have lots of questions, probably no answers for awhile.
As you all can see we are from North Carolina near the coast, and this is our first RV, and we got lucky getting the Airstream, Me and her are just a couple of hippies from the 60's, so this is what we were looking for, I told my wife we can be like LUCY and RICKY on our first outing except that she can not collect rocks. LOL. We are looking forward to going places in the A/S.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to communicate with everyone LOL

George and Heather Soter
North Carolina:)

halschmidt 08-20-2006 12:56 PM

I am new and looking for a Bambi or Caravelle to restore

I live the Oklahoma area :rolleyes: and I very handy and have complete wood shop and lots of time and a little money. I want a smaller trailer that needs a lot of TLC. I live near Tulsa. Phone 918 756-9510 email halschmi@swbell.net :flowers: I love the Airsteams but would consider another make and it does not have to be Vintage.

Cheers

Hal

05ModPod 08-20-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLbove
Hello,

This is all new to me [joining,not camping].I have a 1969 25'Trade Wind that I am restoring.HELP I need a curbside wing window,glass,not the "new plastic ones they want to sell me.

So far this is the only part that has escaped my reach.Thanks for all your help!!

LLBove

lbove@surfglobal.net

You have probably found out by now that you will NOT get a glass replacement for that 69 of yours. They do NOT make them any more - they only made the bottom square corners for one year and you lucked out - she is a special year though - with the moon landing and all but you will have to settle with a non-glass replacement. Go for the more expensive Lexan rather than the plexi as it will scratch in no time....and if you can handle a rivet gun - do it yourself - at a cost of the Lexan alone - rather than having it done at other places that charge an arm and a leg for it - almost the same cost as the glass ones for the 70+ years.

We have had to replace both wing windows in our 69 GT and they are great!!! - now you never have to worry about a guard for the front to protect those precious non-replaceable windows.:D :D :D

BMW Sid 09-03-2006 01:02 PM

black water tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by borisnovas
Hello,
I too, have a major renovation job to do on our 29' 1973 airstream and if your not too tired after working so hard, could you help me with your first hand knowledge? I am attempting to replace the rusted out steel black water tank that is mounted inboard and a/s of Ohio says "no way"- No one will fabricate a tank and I'm getting ready to forget this project and junk this money pit if this keeps up-Did yours have a steel inboard mountrd black water tank? thanx-dan

Did anyone tell you why they wouldn't fabricate a new blackwater tank?
I don't know the shape of it, but I have been TIG welding for most of my life.
I am sure one could be fabricated out of stainless steel, and it would out-last the rest of the trailer. (I wonder if the necessary fittings are available?)
This is my first post, as I just joined today. I also have a '73 25' TW, and I did not know the black water tank was even made of metal! It stands to reason, if it is regular steel, it would rust! I thought it was plastic.
Given the dimensions, shape, fittings and connections, I don't see why one couldn't be fabricated. If I have to replace mine, I could make 2 as well as one. I would have to get the pieces cut, I don't have a shear.
I have been contemplating removing my fresh water tank, but don't know if it has to come out inside, or out. The outside skin on mine is shot anyways. (On the bottom) How many gallons does it (the black water tank) hold?

BMW Sid 09-03-2006 01:26 PM

Howdy

My first day here, too. Have had my 73 Tradewind for years. It has many issues that need to be addressed, so I will be looking into that 'search' feature. I was first attracted to the airstream because I have been welding aluminum since 1969. Thought it might be the way to go. I do have a few small holes to weld up,(It had an add-a room snapped to it) and a couple cracks in around the entry step area.
I don't think my univolt is 'putting out'.
Mine had the awful rolling vertical cabinet doors. All the pieces were there, and we tried to glue canvas on the back, but they didn't last long. Lots of wasted effort. Still have all the original appliances in it. Furnace needs attention. Have to find the thread about the reacall, it is that model. NT22A. Pretty rusty anyways. I guess that is more than enough for now. When do I get my first rivet?

Condoluminum 09-03-2006 05:32 PM

Only two more posts...

Sid-

Welcome, and glad you're working the search tab... First rivet comes at 5 posts...

My dad was part of team that invented tig welding just ahead of WW2 while he was working with Northrop and North American Aviation teams for Alcoa..

Many of members are replacing Univolts with Intellipower or other brands of power supplies that are quieter, more reliable and won't boil batteries dry. Search for Univolt or power supply or intellipower or charger.

There is a ready source of new material for rolling doors, which you can also search for.. New material with new fabric backing might be easier than replacing entire cabinets... The stuff is called Tambour (or Tambor or Tamboor), and you can search for it here or look on internet for sources. Inland RV has some in stock in a few colors, I believe...

Can't help you with black water tank...

John McG

pfaff 09-03-2006 08:13 PM

i have a 72 overlander need some help how to polish the shell wiring diagrams how to drain for winter ect

AYRSTRM2 09-05-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfaff
i have a 72 overlander need some help how to polish the shell wiring diagrams how to drain for winter ect

Your best bet is to use the search function in the blue menu bar.

AndieMack 09-08-2006 02:54 PM

Hi! After lusting, drooling and slamming on the brakes and craning my neck whenever I saw an Airstream or Argosy, I bought one! I got the bill of sales last night on a 1968 Overlander and I am totally thrilled.

The only buyer's remorse I have had is a small panic this morning when I remembered that I really DO have to find a place to put it and find someone to tow it there.

Cart before horse syndrome? I don't really think so. I needed something to lift my spirits and actually fulfilling one of my life's DREAMS is definitely uplifting!!

I look forward to learning what I need to know, which is just about everything.

Best,
Andie

Condoluminum 09-08-2006 03:27 PM

Search and Ye shall find...

Andie-

Welcome and congrats... As you get familiar with benefits of registering here, the ability to use "Search" tab which now appears in blue bar at top is huge...

There are threads on finding transport and towing services, storage and parking options, as well as thousands of tips on repairs, restorations and maintenance, as well as ideas for using and enjoying your trailer...

Keep the faith, as the journey has begun..

Babeebloos 09-09-2006 01:33 AM

Newbie 'Artist' from Laguna Beach

:cool: Hi from Laguna Beach, I bought a 2004 Bambi 19' CCD and am looking forward to my first trip out. I chose a newer model since I'm not a real fix it type and I also liked the fact that it has the larger holding tanks. I'm not sure where to go for the first trip since I really am 'green' to the whole camping thing, hauling etc.
If there is anyone in the SoCal area who might buddy with me on a day trip or something and be willing to answer some really dumb questions?
I'm planning on taking this little Bambi boondocking out in the wilds where I can paint the gorgeous scenery! I'm also interested in anyone who can give any suggestions on how to 'boondock'.....see? I told ya I was green.......!!

Babeebloos 09-09-2006 02:07 AM

My traveling Art Studio!

1 Attachment(s)
ooops...I tried to add this photo too late, but here she is!
:cool:

Mel 09-09-2006 11:40 AM

Hi Babeebloos - welcome to the forums and congrats on your pretty new-to-you Bambi! Very cool that you'll be using it as a mobile art studio. For boondocking tips, check out the search feature at the top of the page - enter your key words and read away. Good luck and happy travels.

Condoluminum 09-12-2006 04:53 PM

Practice making lists...

Babeebloos-

Welcome and congrats, and we're looking forward to meeting at Nor-Cal rally in October... Notwithstanding some anxiety, boondocking is really easy, and some folks do it without thinking by just pulling into rest area or Wal-Mart parking lot or other informal stopping point...

Assuming you have mastered the driving part (slow and patient and let the crazy people on I-5 or 101 go by.. Don't tailgaite, and when some #*&! swerves in front of you just smile and back away a little further..), the challenge to boondocking is to avoid the challenges that full hookups eliminate: Water, waste water, propane and electricity....

For power, make sure the batteries are charged, and have a plan if they run out.. Generator? Flashlights? Solar? Ask neighbor to use generator? Move to place you can plug in? Recognize that refrigerator and heat and hot water will all stop when electricity is gone.. Think about real long skinny extension cord, for emergency use to recharge battery. (Not enough to run A/C, etc)

Fresh Water? Decide whether to tow full of water, or plan to fill tanks when you get to camping site. Ask ranger or others where you can fill up with water. Carry a long hose and maybe a second one...

Waster water? Make hard decisions about environment and paper plates etc.. Decide how you'll fill gray water tank, and stick to plan. If showers critical, take good short ones, shutting water nearly off whilst soaping. Don't run water long time to brush teeth or prep to wash dishes. Cook things that don't generate dirty pots and pans.. Gray water tank will be the first to fill and create a potential issue...

Propane: Tanks should be full, or have a plan to fill. Try to avoid furnace use, since it consumes a lot. Use comforter or fleece. Save gas for water heater (see showers above..) and refrigerator..

After this list, it's a matter of food and jug of water for inside, and entertainment, which could include painting or reading or "resting"... A checklist of required food and beverage items to pack makes sure you don't run out of wine or paper towels or ice... Might also be good to keep older jacket and fleece and bathing suit etc in closet just in case...

John McG

Fyrzowt 09-16-2006 07:39 PM

Wondering about rivets...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that you get your first rivet at 5 posts. I'm somewhere around 35 and I don't see any under my name. Is it only invisible to me or is it not there? Is it based on postsmade, or threads started?

Jim & Susan 09-16-2006 10:21 PM

Hey Fyrzowt, when you edited the "custom user title" under "edit profile" under "user cp" (above on the blue menu line) you put in "Fyrzowt". Remove that and your rivets will show up.

Jim

Fyrzowt 09-16-2006 11:19 PM

Thanks Jim,

Rookie move I guess...

Janet H 09-16-2006 11:25 PM

Another way to get rivets is to wax my trailer.... honest :)

Fyrzowt 09-16-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Another way to get rivets is to wax my trailer.... honest :)

I would love to see Washington State again, but have my own trailer to shine!:)

Babeebloos 09-18-2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

Babeebloos-

Welcome and congrats, and we're looking forward to meeting at Nor-Cal rally in October... Notwithstanding some anxiety, boondocking is really easy, and some folks do it without thinking by just pulling into rest area or Wal-Mart parking lot or other informal stopping point...

Assuming you have mastered the driving part (slow and patient and let the crazy people on I-5 or 101 go by.. Don't tailgaite, and when some #*&! swerves in front of you just smile and back away a little further..), the challenge to boondocking is to avoid the challenges that full hookups eliminate: Water, waste water, propane and electricity....

For power, make sure the batteries are charged, and have a plan if they run out.. Generator? Flashlights? Solar? Ask neighbor to use generator? Move to place you can plug in? Recognize that refrigerator and heat and hot water will all stop when electricity is gone.. Think about real long skinny extension cord, for emergency use to recharge battery. (Not enough to run A/C, etc)

Fresh Water? Decide whether to tow full of water, or plan to fill tanks when you get to camping site. Ask ranger or others where you can fill up with water. Carry a long hose and maybe a second one...

Waster water? Make hard decisions about environment and paper plates etc.. Decide how you'll fill gray water tank, and stick to plan. If showers critical, take good short ones, shutting water nearly off whilst soaping. Don't run water long time to brush teeth or prep to wash dishes. Cook things that don't generate dirty pots and pans.. Gray water tank will be the first to fill and create a potential issue...

Propane: Tanks should be full, or have a plan to fill. Try to avoid furnace use, since it consumes a lot. Use comforter or fleece. Save gas for water heater (see showers above..) and refrigerator..

After this list, it's a matter of food and jug of water for inside, and entertainment, which could include painting or reading or "resting"... A checklist of required food and beverage items to pack makes sure you don't run out of wine or paper towels or ice... Might also be good to keep older jacket and fleece and bathing suit etc in closet just in case...

John McG

Thanks John for these 'GREAT TIPS'...this is exactly what I'm looking for!
I'll try finding some more...
Debra

summerkid 09-18-2006 03:23 AM

Babee, if I lived anywhere near you I'd gladly buddy-camp so we could learn together. However (I'm assuming you're a woman), there is a REALLY cool group called Sisters on the Fly that would welcome you. A lot of them have singlehandedly restored their trailers & they are incredibly adventurous. Also, check out this thread, which mentions the Sisters: https://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=sisters+fly

AZtraveler 09-25-2006 06:37 PM

New Interstate member

Hi Gang,

We purchased an Interstate rear sleeper (Mid-Bath) model about six months ago and have been using these forums to resolve issues every since. Our first trip was to Upscale Automotive in Oregon to have Koni shocks, a heavy duty sway bar and helper springs installed. Thanks for that tip, it made all the difference in the world! They also installed a tuning module and high flow air filter. Our rig weighs in at around 8350# and we are able to get between 21 and 25mpg.

We've put about 12,000 on in two trips and have the bugs pretty much worked out. Needless to say it is used as a "Touring Coach." Most of our stops are dry camping in National Forests, BLM lands and yes, even truck stops.

AZtraveler :)

janetb 09-25-2006 09:35 PM

Love the forums!

We have been amazed and enlightened by all the terrific information we've been able to get from the various A/S forums. It seems like we're on the way to joining a very helpful, friendly and adventursome group! We've just ordered a 2007 Safari 25' SE fb and will now wait restlessly for its arrival in Dec.
We have lots of questions--many answered generously in the forums--but haven't come accross any addressing one of our concerns:
We really don't want to be camping in a parking lot atmosphere, regardless of the amenities. We cruised a couple of AAA recommended sites in our central coastal CA area this weekend and we were really disappointed. They were near much scenic beauty but you couldn't see a thing from the campgrounds. Others that were highly rated not only weren't too appealing but actually very claustraphobic. Are we being unrealistic? Are there resources out there that will direct us to the kinds of sites (views, space, quiet) that we're getting our Airstream for?
Just re-read this and it sounds so whiny and picky but we're really not! Help!
Our kids are grown (although we'll welcome them as visitors--especially if we're near good surf spots...) and we'll be travelling with our 3 small dogs.
So we've been very encouraged by the pet forums!
Can't wait to get out there and see the country and fellow travellers.

Babeebloos 09-25-2006 11:55 PM

Boondocking is for You!

First I'd like to Welcome you here, I'm a Newbie too. I'm in the process of getting my 19' Bambi ready for my first RAlly October 20 to 22 in Lake San Antonio with a growing number of Streamers...I think the number is like 39 or so...give or take 10??? :lol: Anyway, if you are in the area you might like to drop in and see 'Wuz Up?' Lot's of fun being planned, check the threads on the NorCal Rally. I know that a few members are coming without their rigs because they're being refurbished, and they are staying in some cabins on site at the Lake . I know we'd all love to meet YOU!
Debs :flowers:

DEO 09-26-2006 07:48 AM

Welcome to the forums ! We usally check on the Woodalls website, they are pretty good.. I then follow links to the individual campgrounds websites.... We also carry a copy of the Woodalls guide with us when traveling (we often travel without reservations) and start making phone calls about an hour or two when I get tired of driving.... If we are looking to stay at a specific campground I would also post here on the forum to see if anyone else has been to the campground... I think I have a link to a campground review site..Here it is https://www.campgroundreviews.com/