Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Weighing your airstream and TV (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/weighing-your-airstream-and-tv-194516.html)

JSBERRY 04-16-2019 08:27 AM

Weighing your airstream and TV
 
Getting ready for a 3 month trip in our 30 International and wanted to get some weight numbers on all my axils and TV.
Does anyone know of service around Austin area?

Acheron2010 04-16-2019 08:33 AM

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

ROBERT CROSS 04-16-2019 09:09 AM

Welcome Aboard!! 👍
 
4 Attachment(s)
Most of the Interstate truck stops will have scales.
I had to do a new baseline re-weigh as my loading had changed for a cross-country trip last Season. (no roof-top boat or fishing gear).
I was able to do it in four runs.
TV alone.
TV & AS no WD.
TV & AS max WD
TV & AS adj WD, done with a LEVEL rig.

Bob
🇺🇸

Al and Missy 04-16-2019 09:46 AM

There is probably a CAT scale near you, but if not, call your local moving companies. I weighed my trailer at one and the results were very close to the CAT scale weights. The moving company scale is a single platform so I had to weight TV front, TV both, and then TT, and got TV rear by subtracting TV front from TV both.

Another consideration is Escapees RV Club. They can give you a weight on each wheel so you can see left to right balance. The closest one to you is in Livingston, TX. They also go to rallies.

Al

DaveP 04-16-2019 10:22 AM

Bob,

Did you have a trip load in your trailer and TV when you weighted it or were those dry weights?

Thanks, Dave

ROBERT CROSS 04-16-2019 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was fully loaded for a cross-country. Full lp & FW. Food for 3 wks. 2000i Honda. 150lbs of adult beverage. 7gal of home bottled coffee water.
Still heavy, but no extra tents, 8hp O/B. Boat on the roof etc.

Bob
🇺🇸

MacCoroner 04-16-2019 11:09 AM

Haul Gauge
 
Like you I want to know that my weights are within safe parameters, I just bought a device called the Haul Gauge which is going to tell me all the weights of my TV, tongue and trailer weight. I just got it and haven't done anything but basic setup. As soon as I have tested it fully I'll post my review here.

The web site is www.haulgauge.com

I figure that if it works it will pay for itself quickly since scale rates here in the Dallas area are almost $12 per pass.

Cheers,

Jim

aswell 04-16-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al and Missy (Post 2231591)
Another consideration is Escapees RV Club. They can give you a weight on each wheel so you can see left to right balance. The closest one to you is in Livingston, TX. They also go to rallies.

Al

Also highly recommend the Escapees Smart Weigh service. Depending which direction you are headed Livingston may be a little out of the way, but it's an easy afternoon drive from Austin.

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/

Due to the scales measuring each wheel independently, we were able to catch some imbalance side-to-side, and also see that the front axle of our triple axle 34' was carrying significantly more weight than the rear axle, despite appearing level. They also caught a couple of older tires mixed in newer ones, due to reading the date codes, which the previous owners installed and we missed.

As a result we replaced all tires with 12-ply Hercules H901, which are totally overkill but safe, adjusted the weight distribution in the trailer, and were able to safely add a little more weight to the bed of the tow vehicle. The last 5k miles might not have been so trouble free had we not done so.

Worth a trip, if you can spare the time...

SewStream 04-16-2019 12:39 PM

A timely post @JSBERRY - we just got off the Escapees SmartWeigh scales in Bushnell, FL a few hours ago!

Since we travel in our Globetrotter full-time, we wanted to make sure that we have our weight distributed properly. Lesson(s) learned - we had a heavier tongue weight than what we would’ve thought. But, DOH! [emoji44] We had about 300lbs extra on the tongue because we didn’t dump our grey/black tanks before we weighed.

I would highly recommend SmartWeigh through Escapees if you are close enough to the one in Texas. The feedback we received from John, our “weighmaster”, was invaluable as we move forward with our travels. For us, it was his report and recommendations that were worth the detour we took to Bushnell to get weighed as opposed to just getting on the CAT scales.

ROBERT CROSS 04-16-2019 05:09 PM

POI...so your street side is too heavy, what do you do?

Bob
🇺🇸

SewStream 04-16-2019 06:59 PM

[emoji848] Hmmm...Unload the case of beer in the fridge? J/K - [emoji23]

DaveP 04-16-2019 08:38 PM

Thanks Bob. One last question. Was the fresh water tank full? We have similar trailers. That is why I am curious.

ROBERT CROSS 04-16-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 2231883)
Thanks Bob. One last question. Was the fresh water tank full? We have similar trailers. That is why I am curious.

Yes...I prefer to keep the tank useable on the road.
The Classic seems to handle better with the weight between the axles.

Bob
🇺🇸

JSBERRY 04-17-2019 06:28 AM

thank you all for your suggestions. i will check out the Escapees Livingston site.
So yesterday I found a scale about 10 miles from house at a scrap metal facility. I only weighed my TV which is a 2017 F150 Lariat with bumper deer guard and hard bed cover. Loaded my TV up with all my stuff for a long upcoming trip, grill,generator, 2 propane tanks,tools,chairs, golf clubs, dog, wife, etc. weighed in at
6600lbs. the GVWR limit on door is 7000lbs. since I'm pulling a 30 ft. International at 8000 lbs once I hitch up and add tongue weight of 800lbs my GVWR weight limit will be exceeded!
Soulution? Going to buy a F250 diesel today:) After reading many blogs on towing with a F150 and my rig I knew I had the power for towing but have been worried on weight. The F250 will be a little over kill on towing capacity but the extra loading capacity and weight of truck will provide much piece of mind especially on the steep mountain roads im heading for.
thanks again for all your help .

ROBERT CROSS 04-17-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SewStream (Post 2231828)
[emoji848] Hmmm...Unload the case of beer in the fridge? J/K - [emoji23]

Blasphemy...WWWD? https://i64.tinypic.com/ixwhab.jpg

Bob
🇺🇸

jaybauman 04-17-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSBERRY (Post 2231969)
Soulution? Going to buy a F250 diesel today:)

If you're purchasing a new one, be sure to follow manufacturer's recommendations for break-in period before towing....

Bubba L 04-17-2019 04:16 PM

We called the nearest Loves yesterday and they had the sectional scales. Pulled up and weighed. Cost $11.00. Like Bob said, gave us the ticket with TV and trailer weights broken out. Good luck

RivaHaven 04-21-2019 11:02 AM

Escapees weighing
 
Checked in with Escapees in Florida for a SmartWeigh. Totally recommend it! I wrote an article about it and set up a spreadsheet to calculate all the critical issues. See https://www.db26.net/airstream/201904-smartweigh.htm
Hope that’s useful...

Tireman9 04-21-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aswell (Post 2231665)
Also highly recommend the Escapees Smart Weigh service. Depending which direction you are headed Livingston may be a little out of the way, but it's an easy afternoon drive from Austin.

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/

Due to the scales measuring each wheel independently, we were able to catch some imbalance side-to-side, and also see that the front axle of our triple axle 34' was carrying significantly more weight than the rear axle, despite appearing level. They also caught a couple of older tires mixed in newer ones, due to reading the date codes, which the previous owners installed and we missed.

As a result we replaced all tires with 12-ply Hercules H901, which are totally overkill but safe, adjusted the weight distribution in the trailer, and were able to safely add a little more weight to the bed of the tow vehicle. The last 5k miles might not have been so trouble free had we not done so.

Worth a trip, if you can spare the time...


Don't forget it's the air pressure not the tire construction that is supporting the load. SO moving from LR-D > LR-E or LRE> LR-F will only give extra Reserve Load if you also increase the inflation.

Ky76Argosy 04-21-2019 05:07 PM

Scales
 
Most recycling centers that takes more than just aluminum cans has a scales too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.