Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1961 - 1963 Bambi (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   New to me 1963 Bambi (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16/new-to-me-1963-bambi-19433.html)

RichardT 11-30-2005 05:13 PM

New to me 1963 Bambi

I just got back tonight from picking up a 1963 Bambi it is
serial # 161T200
and I am a little confused as the toilet is on the Street side.
Where was it made, CA or Ohio?
Also the door is non suicide with jalousie window if that is significant .
I looked up the Bambi serial number guide and I dont see what I want to know, what were the production run serial numbers for 63?
I am an extremely lucky guy, the floor is solid with no signs of rot (passed the ice pick test!) Everything is there. The skin is as good as I have seen. (And I have seen alot!)
It has not been registered or used in over 25 years and while it is dirty it has the original Zolatone which is solid and appears that it will clean up nicely.
It is in very original unmolested condition.
It is a keeper.

RichardT

Pictures tommorrow!

Ken J 11-30-2005 06:34 PM

Richard

Congradulations - non of the doors on Bambis are the suicide type...

can't wait to see the pictures....

Ken

RichardT 11-30-2005 06:53 PM

"For 1961 and 1962, the easiest way to tell a California from Ohio Bambi is the location of the toilet - streetside from California, curbside from Ohio. "

That is a quote that I am curious about, in 63 were both Ohio and CA streetside?

Also I have seen alot of Bambi pictures showing trailers with suicide doors and did not know if one way or the other was more common.

NorCal Bambi 11-30-2005 07:34 PM

Super Bambi

Sounds like you have a great Bambi. We bought our Bambi in August in Utah. It's mostly apart right now. Ours is a California model. It was in good condition acept for the floor and water lines. I had been full of water during a bad freeze sometime in its past. Would very much like to see pictures of yours.
Don

overlander63 11-30-2005 07:43 PM

Richard, congratualtions on the new Bambi. I think, though, that you have a 1961, not a 63, from the serial number. I have been wrong before, but the third digit in the early 60's should denote the model year.
You show youe serial as: 161T200

RichardT 11-30-2005 07:53 PM

Here is the answer!

Re: Hi from Bat Cave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
  • Hi I got a nice little 63 Bambi today and was hoping you could tell me more about it
  • Serial # 163T200 - toilet streetside
  • CA or OH?
  • What sequential #'s used in 63?
  • Thank you so much.
  • RichardT

Hi Richard:

Its an Ohio built Bambi from the serial number, but with the change in 1961 to the large rectangular serial number plates, the "built-at" is the only factory listed on the serial number tag. So, the s/n plate for this trailer should read "Jackson Center, Ohio" across the bottom. This rule should hold true for 1961 and later years, as each factory had its own serial number plate from 1961 on.

In 1963, all toilets were standardized at both factories to the street side, so that earlier difference disappears beginning in 1963.

I don't have beginning or ending serial numbers for 1963 Ohio trailers, but I have seen Bambi numbers both below and above T200, so yours is somewhere in a very wide middle. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Fred C.
Fred Coldwell, #1510
VAC Historian
Rocky Mt. VAC Rally Webapprentice
2005 VAC Rocky Mt. Rally

flyfshr 11-30-2005 10:11 PM

That Fred is an amazing guy. Glad he's on our side. :)

I'll just bet he has libraries upon libraries of information and reference material. But then that's what a historian does.

Thanks Fred for all your work and dedication.

Brad
FF

RichardT 12-01-2005 11:12 AM

63 Bambi

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the first picture of it.

NorCal Bambi 12-01-2005 11:06 PM

RichardT

Thanks for the picture. It looks pretty familiar. Keep the pictures coming.
Don

RichardT 12-03-2005 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am the second owner, how cool is that?

moogie32 12-03-2005 09:35 PM

Wow!

Oh, Richard!

It's beautiful! Now we just to need to see the interior.......Way to go!:clap:

Diane

Melody Ranch 02-05-2006 10:45 AM

suicide doors on 63 Bambi

More than one lister says no Bambi has suicide doors. Sorry....I have one. Vintage Airstream shows pictures of others. I don't like it...but thats the way it is.
How about the variety of back panels...many louver patterns and access doors....can't figure that one out.

Chaplain Kent 02-05-2006 11:21 AM

Richard,
Congratulations on your new Bambi. You certainly have a knack for finding the unusual.
Do you provide tours of the Bat cave?

flyfshr 02-05-2006 11:34 AM

Melody Ranch ~

The reason for all of the louvers and access doors under the rear window is becuase that's typically where the fridge and stovetop are located. They both need to have access and the fridge needs to vent to the outside. Can't run a vent up and out the roof because of the placement of the window.

Brad
FF

NorCal Bambi 02-06-2006 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
More than one lister says no Bambi has suicide doors. Sorry....I have one. Vintage Airstream shows pictures of others. I don't like it...but thats the way it is.
How about the variety of back panels...many louver patterns and access doors....can't figure that one out.

We have a 1963 California Bambi. It too has a suicide door. Also interesting our back access door takes up the whole back area under the window.

RichardT 02-08-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
Richard, congratualtions on the new Bambi. I think, though, that you have a 1961, not a 63, from the serial number. I have been wrong before, but the third digit in the early 60's should denote the model year.
You show youe serial as: 161T200

Opps sorry i missed this post, yes Terry you are correct I made a mistake is should read 163T200.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Richard,
Congratulations on your new Bambi. You certainly have a knack for finding the unusual.
Do you provide tours of the Bat cave?

Kent I dont have access to the cave, but can help you set up a reservation for a tour during the summer.
RichardT
RichardT