Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f459/)
-   -   Humidifier in colder weather,any thoughts? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f459/humidifier-in-colder-weather-any-thoughts-192861.html)

rollieboy 03-05-2019 08:32 AM

Humidifier in colder weather,any thoughts?

We were wondering if anybody out there uses a small humidifier when the weather is cool and you want to cook inside? want to keep the humidity out of our trailer which is 28' long.
Thanks

dznf0g 03-05-2019 08:36 AM

I do, and have for many years. Absolutely necessary in my book.

Adventure.AS 03-05-2019 08:39 AM

EcoSeb Desiccant Dehumidifier

1 Attachment(s)
We use an EcoSeb DD122EA- Classic. Being a desiccant dehumidifier it doesn't extract as much moisture from the air as a compressor type unit, but it is much quieter. The main advantage is that continues to work efficiently even as the temperature decreases (as low as 34 į F) whereas a compressor style will ice up. The Classic has a 'laundry' mode which is a bit louder, but extracts water vapour more quickly.

Attachment 335016

dznf0g 03-05-2019 08:41 AM

Got this one last year. Very happy with it: small, quiet and works well with my 30'er.

https://smile.amazon.com/Eurgeen-Mid...-79-spons&th=1

NY24 03-05-2019 09:25 AM

Why buy a HUMIDIFIER if you want to keep your rig DRY? A humidifier ADDS moisture to the air.

Perhaps you want a Dehumidifier?

Magnet18 03-05-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollieboy (Post 2216743)
We were wondering if anybody out there uses a small humidifier when the weather is cool and you want to cook inside? want to keep the humidity out of our trailer which is 28' long.
Thanks

I assume you mean dehumidifier?

Personally I haven't needed one yet, running the shower vent 24/7 has done fine, but if you notice it as an issue they're popular and a good idea, be sure to get one that works in cold weather

When it gets really cold (single digits or lower) I actually put a kettle on the woodstove to add humidity back to the air, it gets too dry for me. Every time I move I'm getting zapped non-stop.

3dawgnight 03-05-2019 11:22 AM

We also use the EcoSeb dehumidifier. We are always amazed at how much water we extract. We bought it to use when in cold weather. We live in Florida and we use it all year round. We try to keep the humidity level around 45-50%. We usually extract at least 15 pints a days, sometimes up to 30. Highly recommend. Don’t bother with a smaller, cheaper model. We had 3 different ones before getting this one and they didn’t really do much.

dznf0g 03-05-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY24 (Post 2216764)
Why buy a HUMIDIFIER if you want to keep your rig DRY? A humidifier ADDS moisture to the air.

OOPs, I read right over that! If you want a humidifier, just take a shower, make some coffee, warm some soup and get a dog. That'll get things drippy in there.

Adventure.AS 03-05-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY24 (Post 2216764)

If you read the OP last sentence he clearly wants to reduce humidity. What is the point of ridiculing a typo?

RedBird64 03-05-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Don't you mean a "dehumidifier" to reduce the humidity when cooking inside?
Just asking......

OTRA15 03-06-2019 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 2216863)
If you read the OP last sentence he clearly wants to reduce humidity. What is the point of ridiculing a typo?

Ditto.

A careful reading of all the posts in a short thread like this would do wonders for Internet discourse IMO.

Quote:

. . .
. . . want to keep the humidity out of our trailer which is 28' long.
. . .

Dschonfelder 03-06-2019 08:06 AM

I have a digital meter for temp and humidity inside and out. If the indoor humidity drops to say 30% or lower I boil water in my tea pot until humidity comes up to maybe forty %. Easy and simple.

OTRA15 03-06-2019 09:26 AM

The problem here is too much humidity FYI. See recent posts.

:blink:

StreamingEagle 03-06-2019 09:32 AM

I use a humidifier when I winter camp, it's a /must/! My Airstream has gotten as low as 9% Humidity.

The must-have tip is to get a temperature sensor w/ humidity sensor so you can monitor it. I use a small humidifier to get my inside to about 21% when dry camping. Additionally, sensors will help let you know when it's time to break out the dehumidifier as well!

Yes, when hooked up I can use the shower/cooking/etc to increase my humidity, but that's not always an option.

OTRA15 03-06-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2217067)
The problem here is too much humidity FYI. See recent posts.

:blink:

Echoing . . .

Larry C 03-13-2019 10:41 AM

It's dehumidifier that you need......we bought a small on on Amazon, that works just fine. We live in the deep south and have very high humidity....it does not use a compresser, and is very quiet in operation. On our 34'er, we set it on the kitchen counter, then placed a small fan in the rear bedroom area, blowing air the length of the trailer. It maintains 65% humidity when outside air is 85 to 90%....it makes a big difference!

For whatever it's worth.
Larry

Overstreet 03-13-2019 03:05 PM

We use one when we are not in the unit to control humidity. We are of course in Florida.

In cold weather, yes it happens, we open a vent fan.

wave man 03-13-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 2216747)
We use an EcoSeb DD122EA- Classic. Being a desiccant dehumidifier it doesn't extract as much moisture from the air as a compressor type unit, but it is much quieter. The main advantage is that continues to work efficiently even as the temperature decreases (as low as 34 į F) whereas a compressor style will ice up. The Classic has a 'laundry' mode which is a bit louder, but extracts water vapour more quickly.

Attachment 335016

Iíve been using this one and I think itís great for the already mentioned reasons, it works very well doing what I require quite well.

Totlh 03-13-2019 04:54 PM

This post is confusing. I have never seen a reason to add moisture. Generally do all I can to reduce moisture.

Silvr_Bullet 03-13-2019 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 335571

Purchased this one for our trailer it runs 24/7 9 months, works good takes about 8 oz. daily when trailer is closed up sometimes more when itís very humid outside. Can feel the difference in the inside air when you walk in. I think it works fairly well I leave a window cracked open a bit.