Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Refrigerators (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/)
-   -   2018 30' Classic Dometic Frig RM3962 (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/2018-30-classic-dometic-frig-rm3962-192780.html)

Kentbrookin 03-03-2019 12:07 PM

2018 30' Classic Dometic Frig RM3962

My Dometic Frig (2018 30 Classic) will not cool below 44 degrees F on setting 5. Freezer is fine will get down to -5 on occasion. I have checked the door seals, checked the amperage on the heater, installed fans inside, checked the thermistor and the resistance is good based on the published charts. I can't really find anything wrong but it does not want to go any lower. One thing I do see wrong is the eyebrow temp indicator registers about 10 degrees higher than the actual frig temperature. I suspect the frig is cycling on and off too often but don't have a clue how to test that. Every time I check the amperage on the heater the heater is on.

I am checking the inside temp with glasses of water with a high quality thermometer +-.5 degrees. So I am confident of the inside temp reading.

Any ideas?

AirstreamInc 03-04-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentbrookin (Post 2216019)
My Dometic Frig (2018 30 Classic) will not cool below 44 degrees F on setting 5. Freezer is fine will get down to -5 on occasion. I have checked the door seals, checked the amperage on the heater, installed fans inside, checked the thermistor and the resistance is good based on the published charts. I can't really find anything wrong but it does not want to go any lower. One thing I do see wrong is the eyebrow temp indicator registers about 10 degrees higher than the actual frig temperature. I suspect the frig is cycling on and off too often but don't have a clue how to test that. Every time I check the amperage on the heater the heater is on.

I am checking the inside temp with glasses of water with a high quality thermometer +-.5 degrees. So I am confident of the inside temp reading.

Any ideas?

Hi Kentbrookin,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.

HappyHapgood 03-04-2019 03:14 PM

We've also had a nightmare of a time with our 2015 Dometic fridge. Here are a few questions and thoughts:

1. Is the problem on Gas or electric or both?
2. Are you certain you've given it enough time to cool down? It can take many, many hours for an absorption refrigerator to cool down. I'd give it a day.

Those two questions might help you (or Airstream) identify the challenge. It could be proper venting, it could be a flame problem, etc.

Matt

Kentbrookin 03-05-2019 09:17 AM

thank you for your reply. The issue is both gas and electric. I may have found the problem and the weather is too cold today in Florida to find out if I am correct. I will give a full update later in the week when we get back into the 80s.

GCinSC2 03-05-2019 10:49 AM

Not a fix but a recommended tool for the fridge.

An inexpensive wireless remote indoor outdoor thermometer.

I was having concerns and added this to the fridge. Doesn’t make it cool but allows remote monitoring, worked from our driveway into house during pre trip prep and then into TV for monitoring while towing.

Kentbrookin 04-05-2019 02:04 PM

UPDATE: 2018 30' Classic Dometic Frig RM3962

After trying everything known to mankind to get this refrig to work I finally gave up and called a Dometic authorized mobile service person. The service guy took one look at the condensation streaming down the back of the refrig and called Dometic. Five minutes later Dometic said they were sending out a new refrig. A week later the new refrig is in and working like a champ. On setting 5 the refrig will go to 32 degrees and setting 4 is perfect. Thank you Dometic.