Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   NEVER leave w/o spare key! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/never-leave-w-o-spare-key-191244.html)

Lily&Me 01-16-2019 02:16 PM

NEVER leave w/o spare key!

So I stopped for fuel this morning, and my key snapped in half.:huh:

Fortunately, not while still in the ignition.

Stuck at a fuel pump since about 10:30 am.

Spare is usually in the bottom of my bag, but it is not. Probably took it out to wash the bag, and it is in my jewelry box or some such place.

Not a small feat to get a new key made for these rigs, no locksmiths in the area have the blade, nor the Dodge dealership, it is being sent overnight from Houston and I will have a new key tomorrow, but not one that fits in the fob....that is a whole nother issue, the fob with key is an $800+ part...tho I have a fob, it is just the key that is broken.

This process has taken the last 4 hours, and I am about to be towed from the gas station to the campground across the street.

Annoying and frustrating, but a small matter in the great scheme of things. :innocent:

Never, ever, leave home without your spare key!

Maggie

rowiebowie 01-16-2019 02:36 PM

Good advice. I have hide-a-keys on all my vehicles and for my house. If I can just remember where I hid them.:).

Alex AVI 01-16-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2200514)
Never, ever, leave home without your spare key!

Maggie

MAGGIE - Very sorry to hear. I happen to be one of those who thinks they will not forget their key locked inside the van and knock wood I have not (yet). But this puts a different twist (no pun intended) on the key issue. Thanks for warning. I will take your advice and ROWIEBOWIE and hide one inside and have another made so my wife carries the spare. Great advice.

OTRA15 01-16-2019 04:00 PM

Sorry for your troubles Maggie!

"Spare key" in the singular?

Multiple spare keys IMO, including:

-- one hidden outside the vehicle, which can at least get a door open;
.....[and maybe not operate the ignition if possible -- in "the old days," there were separate keys for this :)];
-- at least one well-hidden inside the vehicle;
-- an exterior electronic touch pad if possible to retro-fit;
-- one in your pants pocket [usually a male location], and/or in the purse [mostly female IMO -- forgive the generalizations!];
-- a duplicate to be carried by any passenger or partner-in-travel on their person.
-- a master spare at home and/or with kids/GC.

:blink:

Wait . . . does this add up to something like 6 or so?

So be it!

Cheap insurance IMO.

Peter

PS -- "Spare keys" results here -- https://www.google.com/search?q=spar...com&gws_rd=ssl

Alex AVI 01-16-2019 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not affiliated with this, just found it after searching alternatives (outside of expensive MB dealership) where I can get more keys to heed MAGGIE's advice. There are 3 very close to my house. And checked OC in So. Cal. where we frequently go and they have much more. They seem to have franchises all over the USA. Never heard of them before but headed there tomo. They come out on-site 24x7 too.

rmkrum 01-16-2019 04:26 PM

We have a combination lock spare key holder on the Airstream with spare door keys to get into the trailer. The necessary data to unlock the box is stashed in multiple locations about our persons, and available by phone call if need be. This key box is mounted with bolts very securely to the AS (in an undisclosed, concealed location...) A spare complete set of tow vehicle keys are stashed inside in the Airstream in a well known location.

DW carries a spare set of TV keys on her person. Main TV driving key set is either in the ignition or clipped to my person on a key ring set with a sturdy carabiner clip on it..

Don't forget that spare key sets should include one for your tonneau cover or shell, the gas cap, and any hitch locks and compartment doors you may also need to get into if the master driving key set goes missing.

Locksmith charges to get into your vehicle may be covered by AAA, but they may not get lucky...

Lily&Me 01-16-2019 04:30 PM

I wasn’t locked out, the key had broken in half. Not sure exactly how that happened, I found it in two pieces.

I do have a spare, on a fob, at home, and my son is going over to retrieve it this evening, in case I need him to overnite it to me. :huh:

I’ve never had one of those little magnetic boxes, perhaps need to get one.

The locksmith explained the Sprinter Van/Mercedes engine issue with the key, making them special in some way, as in not necessarily readily available.

Then something about the key in the fob having to be programmed, the vehicle having to be present to do that...it made my eyes cross. :huh:

I will get a key without a fob, but which must be used with the fob near the ignition, or it won’t work.

People apparently tape the replacement key to the fob?

Lordy.

Maggie

Alex AVI 01-16-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmkrum (Post 2200540)
This key box is mounted with bolts very securely to the AS (in an undisclosed, concealed location...)

RMKRUM - The great thing about the AS or AI is it is so large with so many hiding cavities, that a key box (or just a plain flat door key to get to the other keys inside) can be literally in thousands of locations that even a pro thief won't be able to find. And since it's a "break in case of emergency only" location anyways, people will never see you access it vs. the "leave spare key under doormat" folk's predictable hiding locations.

Lily&Me 01-16-2019 04:48 PM

Speaking of multiple spares, these are not like traditional keys, and apparently only work in conjunction with the fob...and fob+key is an $800+ part.

Maggie

Alex AVI 01-16-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2200549)
$800+ part.

Maggie

OUCH! You gotta love Benz. I love their cars but they still gouge us for the privilege of loving them :lol:

az-streamer 01-16-2019 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 331861

Itís not a matter of if- it a matter of when.

Minimum three sets: one in your pocket when outside the AS or on a key hook when you are inside. One set in the tow vehicle. One set secured somewhere on the outside of the AS.

Likewise an extra set of TV keys inside the AS.

Lily&Me 01-16-2019 06:43 PM

Wow.

What are these keys made of, that they break?

I think mine was on the drivers seat, and I sat on it...a soft surface, and Iím not gi-normous. :bb:

Maggie

bweybright 01-16-2019 06:59 PM

Deep breath, then remember one word: Adventure
This all part of why do this....right?
Of course some adventures are best left for dreams and not having to live through. Good luck getting it all fixed and back on your trail.

Lily&Me 01-16-2019 07:31 PM

Thank you, and I do realize it is a small thing in the great scheme of things...and while I have been I think remarkably calm today :lol:, it is nonetheless frustrating to find oneself absolutely immobilized for want of a key that cannot be readily replaced. :bb:

My son is unable to find the spare at home, and I fear I squirreled it away somewhere in here, only to forget where I put it. :huh:

Sigh.

Tomorrow I should have a replacement, and be on my way, and I will be grateful for the sweet tow truck guys and the diligence of the locksmith who tracked down a blank. :)

Maggie

bweybright 01-16-2019 07:46 PM

From your past posts you are a wonderful person, someone I try and need to be more like.
I am sure the people you had contact with today for help were more than happy to do so, and felt good about themselves after helping you.
So not to derail this thread - inquiring minds want to know: where off to?

brick1 01-16-2019 08:09 PM

I have a spare set of all keys to the Airstream in the TV. I have a spare TV key in the Airstream. And TV has keypad entry, so covered all around.
brick

Hiho Silver 01-16-2019 09:04 PM

When I lost my FOB and key for my 2018 F150 the dealership price was outrageous. Luckily I was home and talked to my locksmith who suggested carandtruckremotes.com They sell the real Ford FOB, not a copy. Only $79 for new Ford FOB with key. Locksmith charged $35 for programming and cutting of provided blank key. I did have another FOB and key available, which makes a big difference for programming I think.

Lily&Me 01-17-2019 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bweybright (Post 2200616)
From your past posts you are a wonderful person, someone I try and need to be more like.
I am sure the people you had contact with today for help were more than happy to do so, and felt good about themselves after helping you.
So not to derail this thread - inquiring minds want to know: where off to?

Thank you, and I try to be a good person, am always a work in progress. :lol:

The tow guys from Fat Boy Towing were lovely, the owner a rather big, burly guy with a nurturing, very considerate approach which prompted me to hug him thank you and goodbye. Donít come across those types just every day.

Assuming I get out of here today, I am going to visit fellow Airstreamers for a night, who have invited me to use their courtesy parking. :)

These Sprinter Van/Mercedes keys for our Interstates apparently are not your basic trailer nor TV key, which is why this is in the Class B sub forum.

I donít understand all the tech gobbledygook, but thereís something about a chip in the key, maybe, and the key and fob having to be programmed to work together. ???

The key itself is difficult to replace, but if you donít have the fob with it the key will not work.

Iím going to have to tape the key to the fob, apparently.

And, keep looking for my spare. :innocent:

If I had to be immediately immobilized, at least this didnít occur on a rural road where I had stopped to let Lily run in a cemetery, or some other out of the way place.

Iím still incredulous that it snapped in half.

Sigh.

Maggie

InterBlog 01-17-2019 05:56 AM

MB will cut a fobless T1N key for about $70. I use that as my spare when Iím traveling solo. IIRC they call it a Mickey Mouse key internally.

They donít like to cut them - they prefer people to pay for the whole fob. But they will do it upon request.

Lily&Me 01-17-2019 06:34 AM

Thanks for that, IB, and I am going to be sure to have a spare to my spare.

No MB dealership near me, but hopefully what the locksmith cuts will work just fine.

Maggie

mimiandrews 01-17-2019 08:39 AM

There is an MB dealer in San Antonio. Maybe you can get a spare key when you are there.

gkoche 01-17-2019 09:26 AM

eBay

Has anyone bought keys and fobs from eBay? I've replaced fobs for my Buick and Infiniti cars. In both cases they work perfectly and only cost around $10 delivered. So much cheaper than the hundreds that the dealers wanted to replace the fobs.
Obviously needing the key itself is another animal, but when I search for Mercedes Sprinter, it shows plenty of key+fob options for $20 or less:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t+key&_sacat=0

I don't have experience with the key cutting part but might be a good option for those who just need an extra spare.

Boxster1971 01-17-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InterBlog (Post 2200680)
MB will cut a fobless T1N key for about $70. I use that as my spare when Iím traveling solo. IIRC they call it a Mickey Mouse key internally.

They donít like to cut them - they prefer people to pay for the whole fob. But they will do it upon request.

Will a fobless T1N key start the engine? I have several for my 2013 Interstate, but they will only unlock the doors. They donít have chip to start engine. They were only about $20 and we use them to secure vehicle when we are each away from the vehicle at a camp site.

Lily&Me 01-17-2019 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David from Quality Key Service Locksmith brought me two keys, one of which he made into a spare to use with the fob to start the engine, the other was a custom key he made from brass to replace the one in the fob.

The custom key is in the fob, and it works.

He tells me to go to MB and get a proper steel key, which I will, but for now we are back on the road.

No, a fobless key will not start the engine, it needs the chip in the fob.

You can start it with the fobless key, but have to hold the fob near it to do so.

Yikes.

Maggie

Brezzin 01-17-2019 12:23 PM

This story hit home for me as I've been wanting to get an extra key for a while but just didn't do it. The airstream came with two keys. I use an indoor storage place that keeps a key so they can move it around as needed an I keep the other one.

So after reading this story this morning, I went down to the Mercedes dealership and ordered an additional key/fob. $202.00 (after taxes) for the key/fob to be ordered and $60.00 for programming once it gets here.

Expensive but cheaper than going through what Lily&me is going through.

Dave

Wazbro 01-17-2019 01:14 PM

Not sure about MB, on many vehicles ALL keys or FOBs with chips must be programmed to work at the same time. Meaning you if want a 3rd key and only take 1 key and the new key to get programmed, your other key will not work anymore.

rmkrum 01-17-2019 01:37 PM

Whats going on with the key fob is that it has an electronic chip in it that is read by an antenna in the vicinity of the steering wheel or around the slot for the key. When the car computer 'asks' for a key fob, the fob responds with a coded signal.

The chip puts out a complicated coded signal that the engine control computer reads, matches to one in its memory to confirm that the known "real" key is in place. If it does not find any real key fob close by, it simply refuses to start. Even if some other coded fob is in the area, if the computer does not know about it, nothing happens.

The bad part is that with some cars, like Toyotas, for my real-life example, the engine computer periodically checks to see if the fob is still there--and shuts down if it is not. The Toyota computer seems to check when the engine is idling and the car is not moving. It complains by beeping inside the car before it shuts down...

So, Maggie, keep the old fob and the newly cut non-fob key close together when you are driving with the non-fob replacement key until you get this fully resolved. I have no idea how the Mercedes system works, but you can bet it will be inconvenient in some way if the computer decides the fob is not present...

Lily&Me 01-17-2019 01:47 PM

Thanks for all that, rmkrum.

I have acquired a level of insight and understanding about my key that I didnít know existed. :lol:

I am using the key he made and put into the fob, keeping the fobless one as a spare.

Maggie

Mansderm161 01-17-2019 02:05 PM

Yes, thanks for this insight. I will also order a spare next time I'm in for service.

Brezzin 01-17-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazbro (Post 2200849)
Not sure about MB, on many vehicles ALL keys or FOBs with chips must be programmed to work at the same time. Meaning you if want a 3rd key and only take 1 key and the new key to get programmed, your other key will not work anymore.

Ok so if I understand you correctly, when the system reprograms for the third key, it generates a new passcode (for lack of a better term). So all existing keys need to be reprogrammed with that new passcode. Thanks thats pretty important information.

InterBlog 01-17-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 2200770)
Will a fobless T1N key start the engine? ...

Yup - I just verified it with my Boaty McBoatface key (the one I take kayaking). The fob has to be adjacent, but it does work.

Now, what would happen if I took the fob and walked away after the engine started? I do not wish to find this out. I had verified previously that this spare key will NOT start the engine on its own. Some models of cars do stop dead if their fob signal is removed during transit. Multiple Facebook stories of fighting couples where one throws the key ring out the car window and then they stall in the middle of the freeway. Yes. I'm not kidding. Then they go on Facebook saying "Please help us find our keys." I say it again - I'm not kidding.

Good to have it verified because I'd only previously used this for door-opening purposes, not for engine-running purposes. There had been previous speculation about a chip component in the metal key itself (not just in the fob). Apparently not so.

And BTW, in case nobody mentioned this yet, the probable reason why Maggie's key spit is that some dufus had previously used it as a pry tool. By that I mean, not Maggie - the rig's previous owner. Likely the metal got fatigued at that point, and it just took until today (or yesterday) for the consequences to finally phone home.

https://i.imgur.com/IgaDOgm.jpg

OTRA15 01-17-2019 09:11 PM

Glad this is getting sorted out Maggie!

Is it too soon for a lame attempt at humor . . . ?

As Billy Crystal might say [you gotta get his accent right]:

"Your new key looks absolutely fobulous, dahling!"

:lol:

[ . . . groans in the background . . . ]

rmkrum 01-17-2019 11:57 PM

Iím waiting for the obligatory Ďrimshotí.....

OTRA15 01-18-2019 04:25 AM

:bb:

:band:

Lily&Me 01-18-2019 05:07 AM

Yep, everything is working just fine, and thanks, everyone. :)

In sum, it seems best to carry an additional key on a fob, in case the one being used is lost or becomes disabled or whatever, but also just a separate key in case one breaks. :bb:

For the record, I had not used my key to pry anything. :lol:

Maggie

JC2 01-18-2019 08:22 AM

Maggie, glad the key is working as expected. A good possibility for the broken key is that PO had it with several keys and the extra weight/vibration weakened it until finally breaking.

Hoping for good luck for rest of your journey.

Lily&Me 01-18-2019 11:15 AM

Thank you. :)

Maggie

WhereStream 01-18-2019 12:15 PM

After reading this adventure story, I went looking for the hide-a-key thing I put together that has a truck key, keys to the Airstream door and a key to open the Airstream storage doors.

I must have hidden it well, because ... :huh:

Alex AVI 01-18-2019 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereStream (Post 2201110)
I must have hidden it well, because ... :huh:

WHERESTREAM - Been there, done that :lol:

duckdave 01-23-2019 11:52 AM

Place to carry spare key and a bit of other stuff

1 Attachment(s)
I got one of these. It's called a HitchSafe <www.hitchsafe.com>
Attachment 332240
It fit's inside your 2" hitch receiver. There is a nice cover that disguises it so it would not draw attention to someone unless they know about it. It uses a 4-number combination. It would take someone a very long time to break the code unless you choose something easy to remember like 8-8-8-8. Don't do that.

You can't lock the safe unless the code is dialed in. If you somehow manage to lock your safe, when not installed in the receiver, you can send it to the company. They have a machine that manually tries all the possible codes until it finds one.

I put my key/fob inside a small plastic bag to make it more waterproof, although the hitch safe seems very waterproof itself; I've never found water in inside.

The hitch receiver itself is made of like 1/4" steel and is securely welded onto a larger hunk of steel, so the fortress is relatively impenetrable.

Of course, it won't work if you have to use the receiver for something else like a bike rack, back tray, or if you are towing.

The older model Interstates on the T1N chassis are prone to locking issues, at the least the auto locking mechanism is confusing. In any case, you do not want to leave the vehicle with all the keys inside. I don't know if they made improvements on newer models.

InterBlog 01-24-2019 06:06 AM

I just thought of something --

We have already consumed our rear hitch, but I've thought about adding a front hitch receiver. I wonder would the front location be close enough so that the chip would read in the ignition? Probably not, but it's something I would test before using.

:)

Protagonist 01-24-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InterBlog (Post 2202832)
I wonder would the front location be close enough so that the chip would read in the ignition? Probably not, but it's something I would test before using.

Probably not because the front hitch receiver is a heavy steel tube, and that would be like putting the key's RFID chip inside a Faraday cage.

Mansderm161 01-25-2019 12:30 PM

I just had my first A service at Mercedes for my Interstate...came to $400. I asked for estimate on key replacement...$260 + tax and 1 hour to program and it would have to be ordered. Mercedes goes through safety and security steps so that "not just anyone" can order it

mefly2 01-25-2019 02:10 PM

Great advice; thanks!
I keep one underneath in the engine compartment ... wired in place to either a hose or the electrical harness and covered with electrical tape.

duckdave 01-25-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

I keep one underneath in the engine compartment ... wired in place to either a hose or the electrical harness and covered with electrical tape.
This is good advice. I've been told by a locksmith that the magnetic key holders are unreliable because they can get knocked off. He told me the best thing to do was to wire the key to something underneath, as you suggest. One thing I'm wondering about the engine compartment idea is, how do you get your hood open if your van is locked? I suppose you need to place the key were you can get to it from below.

If I might add a point of clarification to my earlier post:
Quote:

If you somehow manage to lock your safe, when not installed in the receiver, you can send it to the company. They have a machine that manually tries all the possible codes until it finds one.
It would be really difficult to accidentally lock your safe. You have to have the combination dialed in to lock it. I guess what I was really trying to say, if you forgot your combination you could send it back to the factory to be opened. But if you forgot your combo, and the safe was locked inside your hitch, that would be a difficult solution to pursue.

Also, I might add that I have no financial interest or connection to the hitchcock company. I purchased it on my own. I have been very happy with my purchase.

Lily&Me 01-25-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansderm161 (Post 2203209)
I just had my first A service at Mercedes for my Interstate...came to $400. I asked for estimate on key replacement...$260 + tax and 1 hour to program and it would have to be ordered. Mercedes goes through safety and security steps so that "not just anyone" can order it

That would be for key + fob, which you may not need unless you lost one or it was damaged somehow.

Might have a locksmith make you a spare key-only, like the guy here did for me, should one break you can use the spare holding the fob next to it to start.

I hung the spare on the fob with the brass one he made and put into the fob.

Maggie

Brezzin 01-26-2019 06:35 AM

When I ordered my new key I also ordered just a cut blade ($45.00) that would unlock the the doors only. My strategy is to leave the new key/fob in the coach and and hide the blade key. No worries about moisture or damage to the fob.

Lily&Me 01-26-2019 08:10 AM

Thatís a good idea, Brezzin, and I may get an extra key just for that purpose, then hide it in one of those little magnetic boxes. :innocent:

Maggie

OTRA15 01-26-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brezzin (Post 2203379)
When I ordered my new key I also ordered just a cut blade ($45.00) that would unlock the the doors only. My strategy is to leave the new key/fob in the coach and and hide the blade key. No worries about moisture or damage to the fob.

Most Ford vehicles back in the 70's had a separate key for the doors, a copy of which was easy to keep in one's pants pocket with spare change, and in lots of other locations. [See Post #4 also]

A good insurance policy for getting locked out!

Alex AVI 01-27-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brezzin (Post 2203379)

BREZZIN - Like the cut blade approach and having the spare fob hidden inside AI. Much easier to carry the spare cut blade or even hide somewhere under the chassis.

Streamaway 02-12-2019 10:38 PM

Whoopsie

Hey all,
New to the Airstream scene (be kind!) Yep, I'm that girl, no spare keys for our 1998 Travel Trailer Safari- lost all the keys, compartment locks, main dead bolt, the latch front door. I have been to embarrassed to come on this forum to ask for help. Yes, I called the Locksmith he opened the Masterlock deadbolt, but he couldn't open the latch front door... and if you haven't laughed enough, I just bought the Airsteam two days ago on Craigslist and the guy I purchased it from gave me all original keys and all the extra spares for the Airstream. Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper. I tried calling a few more places but can't figure out compartment door thickness... ( 1-1/5 7/8 1-3/8-- so overwhelmed) My husband and I have only been married two years, I don't think after this horrible thing I did, we will survive three years- let the comments rip- or the helpful suggestions begin.

Alex AVI 02-13-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamaway (Post 2209363)
Hey all,
New to the Airstream scene (be kind!) Yep, I'm that girl, no spare keys for our 1998 Travel Trailer Safari- lost all the keys, compartment locks, main dead bolt, the latch front door. I have been to embarrassed to come on this forum to ask for help. Yes, I called the Locksmith he opened the Masterlock deadbolt, but he couldn't open the latch front door... and if you haven't laughed enough, I just bought the Airsteam two days ago on Craigslist and the guy I purchased it from gave me all original keys and all the extra spares for the Airstream. Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper. I tried calling a few more places but can't figure out compartment door thickness... ( 1-1/5 7/8 1-3/8-- so overwhelmed) My husband and I have only been married two years, I don't think after this horrible thing I did, we will survive three years- let the comments rip- or the helpful suggestions begin.

STREAMAWAY - First of all, very sorry to hear this mishap. Second, I would be the last one to laugh or rip on you. While I have not lost that many keys at once, I have lost or temporarily misplaced some. I can empathize. Have you called Airstream? It can't be too hard for them to get this figured out. Worse case scenario drill out each lock. Sure they get destroyed, but the doors get opened. A master locksmith ought to be able to break in to any lock, surprised the one you called couldn't do it. Sure hope the marriage survives; in the grand scheme of things, there are many more worse things than this. Best of luck. And welcome to the forum. It gets better after this.

Boxster1971 02-13-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamaway (Post 2209363)
... Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper...

STREAMAWAY - Don't beat yourself up too badly. This stuff happens. I once lost my wallet while biking home when I lived in Seattle. I didn't zip up the pocket on my cycling jacket and the wallet fell out while riding. Spent hours retracing my route but never found the wallet. Had to cancel the credit cards, replace the drivers license and other IDs.

WELCOME to AirForums!

- - Mike

OTRA15 02-13-2019 01:55 PM

PS -- Apologies Maggie for the Hijack of your thread.

Good luck, Streamaway.

Streamaway 02-13-2019 03:27 PM

Thanks - I live in Flagstaff, AZ. and called the Scottsdale- Airstream folks, gave them the VIN. So three of the compartments have "05" stamped on the lock, but the Airstream folks can't locate the "05" key or the other lock that has a "GH005". I have been trying to buy the locks on McMaster but they need to know a thickness 7/8, and since I have zero keys I was hoping someone that has a 1998 Safari would be able to assist- but I was up until 2am trying to look on this forum and other sources, but no luck yet, stay tuned. And yes, the ignorement from the husband is well... and the laugh of today- I rented a metal detector from a supply store today since we have 3 inches of snow here *yes it does snow in Flagstaff, Arizona- no dice on that either...prayed a few Saint Anthony's and I'm not that religious.. if anyone you can fast track me on a Safari 1998 travel trailer that would have some info to pass along, that would be great..

Streamaway 02-13-2019 03:28 PM

Ohh lastly, anyone ever mount a keyless pad door entry on the front door, just trying to be proactive for never locking myself out...

Mike G 02-13-2019 04:56 PM

I'm so sorry. That kind of thing is SO FRUSTRATING! I hope you guys have a laugh over this at your 25th Anniversary . . . We hang two separate sets of keys on the hooks inside the trailer door, and every time we leave, each of us takes a set. And at one time or another, EACH OF US has lost our set, at least temporarily.

Once you get into a routine with the trailer, it will all come naturally. At first, it's a little overwhelming . . . .

rmkrum 02-13-2019 05:42 PM

I have a set of spare keys inside a push button combination lock case that is VERY securely fastened to a concealed, yet easily accessible part of the trailer structure.

I also keep spare TV keys inside the trailer, and spare trailer keys inside the TV.

Add a serious case of an OCD habit of remembering to clip my key ring to my person when I'm out and about, and we're usually good to go.

Worse case scenario, I just have to decide which window to break to get inside one of the vehicles...(grin)

duckdave 02-13-2019 08:17 PM

With reference to Streamawayí lost keys

I share a ďwarehouseĒ with 3 other AS owners, with a total of 3 AS trailers (Ď62ĖĎ08?) and one Interstate. Our newest was asking questions as he tried to puzzle out the ways we could get water to run in our AS. I showed him where his fresh water tank fill tube door was, but his keys were not handy. On a whim I tried my Ď79 Sovereign key on his water fill door, and it opened! I canít remember his AS year/model, but I think it might be Ď08 (?).

Then I went over to our Ď06/07 Interstate and tried the Ď79 key there, and it opened the Water door too! So find someone with an AS and try their keys!

I didnít try the keys to outside cabinets on the Ď79 (rear locker, front 2 battery access doors) anywhere else (like the outside shower access door on the Interstate), but I will.

Point is, there appears to be some redundancy for some of the keys. As always, if you have a copy of the key you need another of, itís always way less expensive. Even for just one keyóif it reduces the cost from say (guessing) $50Ė100 to figure out the key to $2Ė3 for duplicating a key, thatís significant.

rmkrum 02-13-2019 09:14 PM

The water door key is usually a 751 key. Bog standard darn near forever...

blkmagikca 02-13-2019 11:00 PM

Streamaway -> Keylist document

https://vsquare.com//howard/photos/airstream/keylist.JPG

Also, suggest you hide a duplicate door key where you can retrieve it if necessary.

Streamaway 02-17-2019 04:33 PM

Awesome! Thank you...finally found a nice Airstream dealer part guy up in Boise Idaho- unlike the Scottsdale folks, he actually took the time after I sent him photos of my compartments, and located all my keys! And it didn't cost but $20.00 to get all the keys mailed to me- hope to get them this week! Thanks to everyone for such great support!!

sctinman44 03-27-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowiebowie (Post 2200520)
Good advice. I have hide-a-keys on all my vehicles and for my house. If I can just remember where I hid them.:).

My wife will say we are related for sure. I make a list for every thing, then forget where I put the list.. Sound familiar.