Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1974 - 1979 Sovereign (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/)
-   -   Peppy (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/peppy-19124.html)

rebel beck 11-11-2005 08:13 AM

Peppy

The newbie again. Thought we would just post everybody and all the other new newbie's about our progress with "Peppy" our new and first 75 Airstream Sovereign. We have had him almost one week and almost have him stink free on the inside. First I took all the foam stuff out, then the drapes were washed I had decided if they fell apart in the wash we would just have to do something else we were so lucky they had no yellow marks or stains on them and they came out great. The gaucho was then taken to be recovered and new material was picked out (fun part). The cleaning of the walls has not been that easy greased lighting works great and I have put 2 coats of future wax and the walls look great still have half the trailor to go. Poor Peppy had a mice problem before we got him so the smell was bad seems as though the po had a cat also so with both those odors it pretty much knocked you down as you came through the door removing the foam and cleaning the walls has helped also I have several coffee cups of vinegar sitting around. Peppy set up for like 2 years not used in a barn I feel so bad for him because he is sitting by our house at this time with no cover we are looking for a house for him close by. This weekend we are giving him a good bath and a little wax and also a good dose of trempro (vulkum). My husband will assist in this.
Also when we have Peppy parked and doing small jobs like this should we put the stabelizer bars down? Per the level it is pretty much level. I plan on adding to this post as we make more progress and mistakes. If anybody would like to make suggestions please do so we are so new and green. In 3 weeks Peppy will be going to our friends tire/brake store for a full checkup on brakes, axels, etc..

The Lacy's

wahoonc 11-11-2005 08:20 AM

Becky,
Good job on the progress! I don't bother to put my stabalizers down most of the time, in fact they were optional on some trailers. I do know that leaving stabalizers down for a long period of time is not a good thing, if you go from 80 degree temps to say 30 degree temps and the stabalizers are down, it can cause binding of the entry door. Mainly due to the tires loseing pressure:blush:

Aaron:cool:

rebel beck 11-18-2005 03:37 PM

Whew what a week!!!!!!

This week has been a busy busy week with the trailor, the ups man has made daily visits with my packages from vintage trailor supply. Sunday was a heartbreak when we went in the trailor there had been a major leak from the ac shroud on top and the carpet was soaked in the middle of the trailor after we got all that taken care of the temp here has dropped to 28 at night kinda chilly working in the morning time but I got a great little heater from wally world (not running the furnace until we have it checked over) All the cleaning has been done and the walls look splendid if I say so myself. I'm trying to talk the hubby into a new stove the one we have looks like a wreck and I cant seem to get the cover shiney enough for me and the glass in the door has some kind of peeling problem behind it. I think that would be just a grand christmas gift. We were able to get everything on the sides sealed last weekend we move up to the top I'm so worried about a dent or something and I hope that something is not me hitting the ground. Oh after all the cleaning and removing all the foam items the trailor smells much better. Also Aaron Thanksssss so much for all your help I sprayed my bath fixtures and they look wonderfull and we were so lucky the po had installed a thetford.

The Lacy's

Jim & Susan 11-18-2005 05:09 PM

Hey Beck, any pictures yet? Sounds like y'all are coming along just fine. Chasing leaks can be a real pain. Good luck with it. Keep us up to date.

Buttercup 11-18-2005 06:03 PM

rebel beck

I get a little chuckle reading your post. You are where we were 9 months ago. Cleaning mouse poop and wondering if the smell would ever go away. We removed all flooring, fabric and cushions. Then painted the floor with Kilz and put it all back together with fresh upholstery and flooring. Smell is gone.
You may find the walls are sticky and there are a thousand threads on how to clean that.

You are about to go on your first Airstream Adventure Have Fun!

rebel beck 11-18-2005 07:49 PM

will post

Let me get the new sofa in, and the twins changed out to a queen,and the drapes rehung and I will post some pic's. Jim and Susan we have not done the full monte like you have wish we could have.

Becky

early 11-18-2005 08:03 PM

Hey beck,
Nice to have someone else from MS on. We started ours in April and have gotten a lot done, still have alot to do. I have gotten a wealth of info from this forum. It is great. Hope ya'll have a ball redoing, we have. Good luck.
Dawn:p

rebel beck 11-19-2005 12:40 PM

One photo posted

Okay so it's just an outside shot. Oh by the way the little handsome guy by the door that's my son Austin. This was on our way back from picking the Airstream up, somewhere in Missouri at a rest stop.
Look under my photo profile.

Becky

rebel beck 01-01-2006 09:45 AM

Happy New Year 2006

Work on Peppy has been slow in fact have not done much since before Thanksgiving. Still have the leek behind the Gaucho we think now it is coming from where the belly pan connects so we hope to have that sealed today. I got the book Airstream Living for Christmas and got all kind of new ideas. The last 3 days I have spent painting the bedroom after today I will be able to add the queen matt. We hope to have Mr. Peppy ready to go on a road trip by the first of Feb. not a long trip just to our local State Park, he keeps telling me he needs to get out of the driveway.

The Lacy's

rebel beck 01-09-2006 07:11 AM

What a weekend!!!

What a weekend we had working on Peppy. We have located the leeks and are working on getting them stopped. The leeks had caused the floor to rot out about 3 ft around the front area, so we ripped out all the rot. Some po had installed those front swing around peck gaurds and they attached them to the molding that runs around the belly pan so through the years and movement with the trailor it had pulled on seems and the belly pan so water was coming in there. Yesterday after another water hose test we found out about 12 inches of the belly pan under the front was loose so another culprit.
By this weekend we hope to be water free and the new floor section can be installed and finished. I want to thank all of you for helping us with questions we have had in the past it has helped so much. We are shooting for Feb to go on our first adventure to our local State park for a 3 day weekend.

Becky

balrgn 01-09-2006 10:18 AM

Gotta love You's guys tenacity! You may now realize, the more you take apart, the more you have to take apart :cool:

rebel beck 01-09-2006 10:55 AM

And it's amazing what you think you couldn't do, you can.

rebel beck 02-07-2006 11:32 AM

Got it in.

Okay lets here all the laughs we get on this one. My hired carpenter just left after putting the floor section in (were just not handy) I have decided we are great at tearing out. But not so great on putting back. As soon as we get the gaucho put back in i'm going to post some pictures. We had a camping trip set for this weekend, but it's not going to happen. The weather here has decided to turn to cold. Maybe next weekend.

Becky

Jim & Susan 02-07-2006 12:26 PM

Sounds like things are coming along just fine. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures! Just kidding.

Jim

balrgn 02-07-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel beck
Okay lets here all the laughs we get on this one. My hired carpenter just left after putting the floor section in (were just not handy) I have decided we are great at tearing out. But not so great on putting back. As soon as we get the gaucho put back in i'm going to post some pictures. We had a camping trip set for this weekend, but it's not going to happen. The weather here has decided to turn to cold. Maybe next weekend.

Becky

No laughs, you should be commended, know your limitation! :cool:

rebel beck 02-28-2006 06:59 PM

New Stuff

Okay it has been a few weeks on the updates of Peppy. We now have the floor in, gaucho back and the new cushions are on (check my photo under members photo's) the front is done except for the decorater touches. This week I have been working on the center bath area shhhhh that's a secret will post when I finish. Our next project is to convert the twins in the rear to a queen. Our maiden voyage was put off due to a small ice storm, but spring break is in 2 weeks and we are out of here for 4 to 5 day's. Thanks again for all the great advice.

Becky

tin sista 02-28-2006 07:21 PM

Wow it looks great!

Love the gaucho and the floors! Have fun with the bathroom--don't forget to post those pictures!:)We (hubby that is) converted rear twins to a queen using info from the forum as input. Wasn't as hard as he thought it might be.

2toomany 02-28-2006 07:57 PM

I like that candle

The trailor is coming along nicely, ya'll have put a lot of work into it in the last few months. But, I must ask about that candle I have seen in your pix.
Where do you live? shame, shame
Just kidding, hope your family have a great spring break trip
we too are planning a short trip this spring break to Roosevelt State Park about 15 miles from us. Let us know later this spring if you can find anyone here in Mississippi

2toomany 02-28-2006 08:01 PM

That may be a red candle but it sure did look maroon at first glance

rebel beck 02-28-2006 08:19 PM

Red as red can be!!!!!

The candle is red, not a maroon thing around here for 84 miles.

Becky