Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Property tax on Airstream in South Carolina (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/property-tax-on-airstream-in-south-carolina-189764.html)

Mansderm161 11-28-2018 01:42 PM

Property tax on Airstream in South Carolina
 
Curious if anyone has feedback on AI property tax in SC. I paid $1800 last year for new Airstream Interstate. Was told it would not be classified as second home unless I took tires off and put it up on blocks! Just got new tax bill...$1780. I was expecting a little more depreciation than that!

wimpy 11-28-2018 02:26 PM

I believe SC uses something = NADA Guides, i.e., it's a car/van to them. You don't say what year, but if you can validate a reduced valuation (call your local county tax assessor for what they will accept), you can get the bill reduced.

Lily&Me 11-28-2018 02:40 PM

I never heard of property tax on an RV. :huh:

Maybe itís an error.?

They probably have to cite an authority, so read everything carefully and maybe file an appeal.

Good luck.

Maggie

Alex AVI 11-28-2018 03:00 PM

Maybe a point of nit-picking, but usage of terms is important here.

Real estate tax and property tax are the "same thing" as most of us have been accustomed to call it such. Though it is widely accepted, it is not accurate to call both identical. The IRS uses the term "real estate tax", but most people call it "property tax". ... On the other hand, there are OTHER types of "property tax". Personal property tax is an annual tax imposed on movable assets—mobile homes, RVs, vehicles, boats, planes, etc.

In NV, my personal property tax on AI is over $3,500/yr, based on a depreciating scale from ORIGINAL MSRP (not purchase price), regardless of whether used daily or wheels removed (if a TT type or full timer MH)

Mansderm161 11-28-2018 03:01 PM

No, its real...that is South Carolina. They call your vehicles property and tax them every year. You have to pay the tax before you can renew your tags.

uraljohn 11-28-2018 03:07 PM

Property tax on vehicles/RV's
 
I live in North Carolina. Every year when renewing the registration on our 3 cars, 1 Vespa scooter, and our 2017 23D we have to pay property tax. Yes, it sucks. Plate for 2013 ford E150 Van $134.00. Plate for 2006 Miata $96.00. Plate for 2014 Chevy Cruze $150.00. Etc, Etc. Every year! Crazy! We did not know that was the case when we moved here 4 years ago from Naples, Fl. Annual plate fee dirt cheap compared to N.C. So, yes, some states charge "Property Tax" on your vehicles and RV's. To top it off, North Carolina still requires annual inspections at $13.00 a pop on your car or truck. Some counties also check for emissions and that is $30.00 per car or truck. The first year registration for the A/S was $2700.00. $1750.00 of that was a one time road use tax!

Alex AVI 11-28-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansderm161 (Post 2184500)
No, its real...that is South Carolina. They call your vehicles property and tax them every year. You have to pay the tax before you can renew your tags.

MANSDERM161 - If they are calling it real property tax or real estate tax, then you do have grounds to appeal it. So previous posters were right. An rv, should never fall under real estate taxation by category by virtue of fact that it is movable

Alex AVI 11-28-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraljohn (Post 2184501)
I live in North Carolina. Every year when renewing the registration on our 3 cars, 1 Vespa scooter, and our 2017 23D we have to pay property tax. Yes, it sucks. Plate for 2013 ford E150 Van $134.00. Plate for 2006 Miata $96.00. Plate for 2014 Chevy Cruze $150.00. Etc, Etc. Every year! Crazy! We did not know that was the case when we moved here 4 years ago from Naples, Fl. Annual plate fee dirt cheap compared to N.C. So, yes, some states charge "Property Tax" on your vehicles and RV's. To top it off, North Carolina still requires annual inspections at $13.00 a pop on your car or truck. Some counties also check for emissions and that is $30.00 per car or truck. The first year registration for the A/S was $2700.00. $1750.00 of that was a one time road use tax!

URALJOHN - I realize coming from Naples, that seems high (my best friend lives in Naples). But compared to NV, that is like heaven. I am still paying over $400/yr. on a Classic Benz because it's MSRP was $90,000. You are very lucky.

Mansderm161 11-28-2018 03:14 PM

Its personal property tax, but I've talked to a few who got their RV classified as a second home which is a lower tax rate here and would be real estate tax. I was advised to try a different tax office. But I was just curious if anyone else had a different experience. Other option for me is register it in my son's name in Ohio and pay around $90.

switz 11-28-2018 04:09 PM

We get to pay an annual "excise" tax on vehicles in Indiana. When my 2007 Mercedes was new, the tax was over $1,200. This year, it was considered 11 years old and the excise cost was $50. $50 is the lowest the excise tax will ever go on that car. Of course this tax is collected as one buys their license plate, so the total plate fee was $151.35 with the county wheel tax of $25, registration fee of $36.35 and an admin fee of $40.00.

Our 2014 31' Classic excise tax started at $1,401.00 in January 2015 and was down to $898 this year. The additional ancillary fees are also added for the plate. However, we get a sticker and the plate stays the same.

So states are looking for revenue from all sources. Al least Indiana recognizes that the value of any vehicle declines over time so they reduce the tax burden over time.

NoResults 11-28-2018 04:25 PM

Mansderm161 You can call me son or dad depending on your age and register here in Oregon. A lot less.

Dave

Mansderm161 11-28-2018 05:05 PM

LOL, I just retired and am adjusting to a budget, no paycheck, and travelling in my Airstream. Maybe we meet in the middle and assess the situation! I'm happy... had to find something to complain about!

Edistobob 11-29-2018 07:36 AM

We've lived in South Carolina for about 17 years and I still hate that annual ad valorem tax on my trailer! There is a form that should be available from your county, "6% Assessment Ratio Form For Campers" on which you certify that your RV is equipped with bathroom, bedroom and kitchen facilities thus qualifying it to be assessed at the 6% ratio vs a 10% ratio. 6% is the same ratio that is applied to a second home while 4% is the ratio for your primary residence.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansderm161 (Post 2184532)
LOL, I just retired and am adjusting to a budget, no paycheck, and travelling in my Airstream. Maybe we meet in the middle and assess the situation! I'm happy... had to find something to complain about!


wachuko 11-29-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansderm161 (Post 2184500)
No, its real...that is South Carolina. They call your vehicles property and tax them every year. You have to pay the tax before you can renew your tags.

Wow! :sad:

Lily&Me 11-29-2018 08:27 AM

Yikes!

In Illinois, where taxes are high and corruption equally so, RVís are not taxed. :huh:

I pay property tax on my small home, and thatís it.

Shhhh...donít talk about it or you might wake it up. :blink:


Maggie

pmclemore 11-29-2018 08:38 AM

Here in VA, we pay real estate taxes and personal property taxes.

In my county, RE tax rate is .53/$100, while ppt is 3.94/$100. RVs are personal property, not RE.

Pat

azflycaster 11-29-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmclemore (Post 2184698)
Here in VA, we pay real estate taxes and personal property taxes.

In my county, RE tax rate is .53/$100, while ppt is 3.94/$100. RVs are personal property, not RE.

Pat

Same here in Arizona. Rate is $2.80/$100 with the value based on 60% of the MSRP and a reduction in value of 16.25% per year.

brick1 11-29-2018 09:03 AM

Move to Georgia. You pay sales tax when you purchase the vehicle. No ďadd valorumĒ after that. But Travel Trailers ARE taxed yearly here.
brick

Silvertwinkie 11-29-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2184495)
I never heard of property tax on an RV. :huh:

Maybe itís an error.?

They probably have to cite an authority, so read everything carefully and maybe file an appeal.

Good luck.

Maggie


Some states call it a "personal property" tax. Indiana does it and it's for virtually any vehicle. They have lower real estate taxes than I do in Illinois, but they more than make up for it taxing the bejesus out of everything else. The only saving grace is that as the vehicles age, they do start to lessen the tax burden, but either way the gov gets yer money..be it up front with no personal prop tax, or lesser real estate tax and personal prop tax, one way or another, they'll get yer money. :innocent:

jimfa440 11-29-2018 09:52 AM

Come to Tennessee. The tag on our Airstream 30' is $18 per year, no property tax. Come on in, the water's fine.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.