Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   My Lithium/Solar Upgrade is Complete (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/my-lithium-solar-upgrade-is-complete-188407.html)

waninae39 10-28-2018 08:52 AM

i have similar equipment but BB lion batteries

i ran the air con off AC2 and all other Ac off AC1 from the mutiplus

that way the air con does not run when on battery alone

Rocinante 10-28-2018 01:13 PM

We could run our AC entirely off our batteries for maybe an hour or two, but it would be silly to do so. [emoji6]

wulfraat 10-28-2018 09:45 PM

My Lithium/Solar Upgrade is Complete

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocinante (Post 2173240)
We could run our AC entirely off our batteries for maybe an hour or two, but it would be silly to do so. [emoji6]

I run my AC off batts when we stop for lunch, etc, while transferring from one location to another... itís nice to rest in a cool trailer [emoji4]

68 Overlander 10-28-2018 10:42 PM

Very nice install ghaag and others. Airstream has started using Expion 360 LifePO4 batteries and their kits are for sale at many Airstream dealers now and I believe in Jackson Center. Curious if anybody had bought their system. It's similar to the Victron at less than half the cost. We are trying to decide whether to carry Victron or the new Expion 360. Regardless which route we go, professional installation will be available in the Southeast.

wulfraat 10-28-2018 11:15 PM

If you are looking for a ďdrop inĒ lithium battery bank with ~200ah- Iíd look at battleborn. They are about 1/2 the cost (thereabouts) as the Expion and certainly seem to have a good reputation and good customer support per other posts on the forum.

68 Overlander 10-28-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 2173458)
If you are looking for a “drop in” lithium battery bank with ~200ah- I’d look at battleborn. They are about 1/2 the cost (thereabouts) as the Expion and certainly seem to have a good reputation and good customer support per other posts on the forum.

Expion is about $200 more ($1150 ish) but are 120 AH instead of 100 and come in a smaller group 24 case. The group 27 case of the BB is larger but might not be a big deal to some. Airstreams aren't exactly known for extra real estate as we know. What we are mainly focused on is the external serviceable BMS, extra amp hours and battery monitor that shows everything on one screen.
We are being told there is dead space in the BB case and if true, not a show stopper just a cost saving measure. We will have the answer soon and it might be BB, or another. They certainly hit the market at the right time and rallied the bandwagon. Nothing bad to say about BB, we all know they originate in the same place and labeled/marketed differently.

ghaag 10-29-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 2173440)
I run my AC off batts when we stop for lunch, etc, while transferring from one location to another... itís nice to rest in a cool trailer [emoji4]

wulfraat we enjoy doing the same

ghaag 10-29-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Overlander (Post 2173451)
Very nice install ghaag and others. Airstream has started using Expion 360 LifePO4 batteries and their kits are for sale at many Airstream dealers now and I believe in Jackson Center. Curious if anybody had bought their system. It's similar to the Victron at less than half the cost. We are trying to decide whether to carry Victron or the new Expion 360. Regardless which route we go, professional installation will be available in the Southeast.

68 Overlander, I am not sure about airstreams new system, I am not familiar with it. I went with the victron system because I heard such good things about its reliability, I think with systems as complex as this I think thatís an important component.

Rocinante 10-29-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 2173440)

If you have shore power at your destination this can indeed be nice, but if weíll dry-camping, we like to arrive with batteries as charged as possible. So, sometimes yes, sometimes no. ;)

68 Overlander 10-29-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghaag (Post 2173512)
68 Overlander, I am not sure about airstreams new system, I am not familiar with it. I went with the victron system because I heard such good things about its reliability, I think with systems as complex as this I think that’s an important component.

It probably is a great system. Airstream is looking for that happy medium. Many new Airstream owners like them.

eheffa 10-30-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghaag (Post 2173512)
68 Overlander, I am not sure about airstreams new system, I am not familiar with it. I went with the victron system because I heard such good things about its reliability, I think with systems as complex as this I think thatís an important component.

ghaag - I'm sure your system is far more carefully designed and assembled. Your installation is a thing of beauty.

By contrast, the quality of the A/S factory wiring installation is simply awful. The original assembly is shocking: Pull off a panel and witness a rat's nest of wire along with construction debris and scraps of leftover trimmings. It simply isn't in the same league at all...

https://eheffa.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p578924983-3.jpg

-evan

Rocinante 10-30-2018 06:22 AM

Exactly right. This is the kind of mess I referred to in my post above. Airstream factory-installed wiring is unprofessional, messy, needlessly confusing, un-maintainable, and borderline dangerous.

waninae39 10-30-2018 07:48 AM

these are the recommended parameters for Battle Born Lion batteries

Bulk: 14.5
Float 13.6
Absorb 0.5
equalize < 14.6 for 100AH