Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/)
-   -   Do I Need To Strip 1963 Safari? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/do-i-need-to-strip-1963-safari-188301.html)

Justinep 10-14-2018 06:44 PM

Do I Need To Strip 1963 Safari?

2 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a 22' 1963 Safari. I could use advice on the best process for cleaning and polishing the exterior. I heard this year/model did not receive a clear coat. Can anyone confirm this? If it did not receive a clear coat, is it necessary to strip the exterior prior to polishing it?

Thanks for your feedback!

Bubba L 10-14-2018 08:10 PM

When we completed the renovation of our 66 Safari and prepared to polish, we tested the best we could for clear coat. Wasn’t worried about factory as much as a DIY clear coat. One way to test is using a light abrasive like tooth paste. If there’s no protective film, rubbing toothpaste on a small area will turn black from the aluminum. If it doesn’t, there’s a protective coat. You can check on the Forums for other methods. Anyway, we polished with Nuvite. On the 55, we are using Caswell. I think the latter is quicker and a cleaner process. Good luck, Bubba

ROBERT CROSS 10-14-2018 08:42 PM

Welcome Aboard!! 👍

2 Attachment(s)
Why start with the polish...looks like there is a lot more important work...start with the obvious, new axle. 😄👍

We also were anxious to polish right away, but did the safety stuff first.
Got as far as scrubbing with scotch pads, and then lost interest. We just let it "patina" on its own. Kind'a glad we did. Looked pretty good when we sold it 18yrs later. :wally:

Bob
🇺🇸

Start ><>><><><><><><><><><><Finish

Justinep 10-15-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2168210)
Why start with the polish...looks like there is a lot more important work...start with the obvious, new axle. 😄👍

We also were anxious to polish right away, but did the safety stuff first.
Got as far as scrubbing with scotch pads, and then lost interest. We just let it "patina" on its own. Kind'a glad we did. Looked pretty good when we sold it 18yrs later. :wally:

Bob
🇺🇸

Start ><>><><><><><><><><><><Finish

Thanks for sharing! I am asking so I can budget/prioritize - agreed, I have lots to do before getting to the polish!

Justinep 10-15-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2168200)
When we completed the renovation of our 66 Safari and prepared to polish, we tested the best we could for clear coat. Wasn’t worried about factory as much as a DIY clear coat. One way to test is using a light abrasive like tooth paste. If there’s no protective film, rubbing toothpaste on a small area will turn black from the aluminum. If it doesn’t, there’s a protective coat. You can check on the Forums for other methods. Anyway, we polished with Nuvite. On the 55, we are using Caswell. I think the latter is quicker and a cleaner process. Good luck, Bubba

Simple and very helpful tip - thank you!