Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Front Window Guard Seal/Gasket? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/front-window-guard-seal-gasket-185412.html)

GSP9 08-08-2018 07:42 PM

Front Window Guard Seal/Gasket?

2 Attachment(s)
Noticed a small leak inside the front of our 2013 International. Traced the leak to the middle front window stone guard. The top of the stone guard is attached to the trailer by 5 stainless steel screws. Looks like the screw closest to the street side had been over tightened and was not snugging up. In addition, the seal/gasket behind this screw was in poor condition and the combination of the two was allowing water to get in. I ended up taking the stone guard off and the bracket that holds it to the trailer. My question is, what type of gasket material or caulk is used between the trailer and this bracket? It almost felt like plumbers putty because it was still pretty malleable in my hands. I have Sikaflex 221 that I would run a bead across the top once the bracket is attached again but just need to know what goes between the bracket and the trailer. Or could I just run apply a healthy bead of Sikaflex 221 between the two and when the bracket gets attached the excess would squeeze out when the five screws get tightened down?

LAWBC 08-08-2018 08:04 PM

repair

Check this thread for more extensive detail on caulking and sealants.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ml#post1562700

As far as the gasket material that felt like plumbers putty I am thinking that's probably it. If you think about laying a bead of Sikaflex between would be impossible to get off if needed in the future.

A W Warn 08-09-2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSP9 (Post 2140457)
Noticed a small leak inside the front of our 2013 International. Traced the leak to the middle front window stone guard. The top of the stone guard is attached to the trailer by 5 stainless steel screws. Looks like the screw closest to the street side had been over tightened and was not snugging up. In addition, the seal/gasket behind this screw was in poor condition and the combination of the two was allowing water to get in. I ended up taking the stone guard off and the bracket that holds it to the trailer. My question is, what type of gasket material or caulk is used between the trailer and this bracket? It almost felt like plumbers putty because it was still pretty malleable in my hands. I have Sikaflex 221 that I would run a bead across the top once the bracket is attached again but just need to know what goes between the bracket and the trailer. Or could I just run apply a healthy bead of Sikaflex 221 between the two and when the bracket gets attached the excess would squeeze out when the five screws get tightened down?

That "gasket material" you are describing sound like butyl rubber tape.

IMO, the proper way is to remove the whole hinge clean off the old sealant then reseal the entire top surface where hinge meets skin. It is not difficult. I have done it a few times. I used Trempro 635 across the top and in each screw hole as each screw is installed. I did not use anything in between as a gasket.

ODM published this video of a rock guard installation on their website. This will show you how to disassemble the hinge to make it a lot easier. Note that they used Parrbond sealant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=QqWG9u4pc0s

ps:
Where the screw hole is enlarged, if the edges are pulled outward, shaped like a cone, I have had success reducing the diameter, slightly closing the hole, by tapping gently around the perimeter of the screw hole with a nailset until the cone is pushed down. Don't hammer hard, be gentle.

GSP9 08-09-2018 08:23 AM

I removed everything and cleaned it up. I think I'll order some butyl tape as that seems to be what was there now that I did some research. I tried "massaging" the screw holes a little but the original still didn't want to tighten up like it should. Fortunately I have an ever so slightly larger stainless steel screw that will work. After I'm done I'll lay a bead of Sikaflex 221 across the top.

sburrw 08-09-2018 11:46 AM

I’m so glad you posted this, as I have been having a leak that seemed untraceable. I will check the same place.

GSP9 08-09-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Iím so glad you posted this, as I have been having a leak that seemed untraceable. I will check the same place.
My leak doesn't show up underneath the window. It actually enters thru one of those screw holes and then along the top of the window frame to the street side and then down the wall. It's actually pretty impressive to see how far the water travels before it ends up on the floor. Directly above the wet floor is an awning bracket, window, and side marker light so you would assume that they would be the culprit but they're sealed up good.

I finally was able to verify by removing the speaker in the upper storage bin in the bedroom. I could then reach up in with my hand and feel along the top of the window frame to where the screw pokes into the skin and sure enough that's where the water was coming from. From the exterior, you would have a hard time telling that the screw hole was the culprit.