Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Convince me to replace my Airstream (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/convince-me-to-replace-my-airstream-184643.html)

Isab 07-21-2018 12:43 PM

Convince me to replace my Airstream

With another Airstream instead of a Bigfoot.

Right now am developing several problems needing expensive repairs. At a 14 year owner, with light use, i know have replaced most major systems on the trailer, and the heat pump twice, last time with a standard AC.
I love the look of the new Airstreams, and the floor plans, and cabinet space are much better now, but I live in hail country, and fear of the golf ball size stuff keeps me paranoid, and watching the weather everytime it is out of the garage.
I have been looking at the BigFoot trailers which seem to tick all the boxes, and looks like retail is maybe twenty to thirty percent cheaper?

Comments, concerns? Analysis?

Wayne&Sam 07-21-2018 02:31 PM

Aren't "all the major systems" basically the same on all travel trailers?

SeeMore 07-21-2018 03:09 PM

You learn useful information every day on this web site; I was not aware that the Bigfoot was hail proof.

Mollysdad 07-21-2018 03:15 PM

I never talk someone out of anything.
I bought an Airstream because it appealed to me.
I'm sure I could have saved thousands by buying a number of well made box trailers.
Let us know how you like it.

I never drive by a campground and think, "Oh look, there's a Terry."

Sav'h Steve 07-21-2018 03:59 PM

Bigfoot

Everyone is concerned about hail storms and the damage it can do.

And I agree if you are in an area where hail is more prevalent, it's not worth worrying about all the time.

And *without a doubt* the fiberglass shell of the Bigfoot is a great advantage in hail prone areas. I suppose it would take golf size hail to damage it.

Bigfoot is a WELL KEPT SECRET (if you will) for a quality unit (I understand) and their 25RQ is the largest option and would be the only option for me.

The lack of different layouts in that size is disappointing. Leaks are confined to just the protrusions on the top (cause of 1 piece molded top).

And they are extremely well insulated -- very few approach this -- maybe Artic Fox.

I would think Bigfoot would 'weather the weather' better than Airstream. For example my A/S is kept under a roof for a reason.....

Search for Bigfoot on the A/S forums. You will find just a few because they (Bigfoot) is rarely seen or sold in most of the US. Up in your area they are more plentiful cause closer to where they are made. I almost NEVER see one in Southeast USA..

AdamG01 07-22-2018 11:36 AM

Don’t know what size trailer you are looking at, but you might also consider an Oliver Legacy II. I believe the Oliver to be one of the best built rv’s on the market today. Their only drawback is their smaller size, butbthat is subjective.

guskmg 07-22-2018 02:51 PM

At the age of your trailer you are experiecing the normal wear out time for most trailer components that are not Airstream produced. I have changed most of mine out also. Since Airstream doesn't make any more 35' slides, I can't get a new one. So I just keep improving what I've got. I would like ducted air though. Don't forget fiberglass detiorates with age and can be damaged by nidwestern hail storms.
guskmg

Kilroy 07-22-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollysdad (Post 2132012)

I never drive by a campground and think, "Oh look, there's a Terry."

I drive around campgrounds and say “look, there’s a Bigfoot”, or Escape, or Avion.

Me. Bill 07-22-2018 04:46 PM

Switch

You should look at the Escape 21; if you haven’t done so already. Fully loaded at $32,000. I had a Casita and fiberglass extreamly tough easy to clean and if necessary, repair.

Bill M. 07-22-2018 05:02 PM

I do not think you should buy another Airstream now. Either fix the Airstream you have now with the idea of keeping it long term or buy the Bigfoot. Then in a couple of years after it has shed value replace the Bigfoot with another Airstream.

gandttimes 07-22-2018 05:02 PM

We just came back from a 3 week trip in hail prone country and every time the thunder started hail was on my mind.
Our first trailer was a 17ft Bigfoot ( body measurement without tongue)
When we were looking to upgrade to our present 25fb, we strongly considered the Bigfoot

gandttimes 07-22-2018 05:09 PM

I meant to finish but the big finger sent it anyway[emoji53].
At the time we were looking, Bigfoot was in a bit of trouble and was not producing the 25.
There are several 25 floor plans and of course the dual pane windows and better insulation that make it worth looking at.
The only drawback for us was the lack of large windows which we still love in our Airstream.
As someone else mentioned. It depends on the type of camping you do. They would be second on my list if I were looking again.

MickeyC 07-22-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG01 (Post 2132366)
Don’t know what size trailer you are looking at, but you might also consider an Oliver Legacy II. I believe the Oliver to be one of the best built rv’s on the market today. Their only drawback is their smaller size, butbthat is subjective.

I second the Oliver Legacy II. My wife and I toured the plant a few weeks ago and we were real impressed. I was an AS die-hard until then. If I purchase another trailer it will be an Oliver Elite II for sure.

Good Luck
MC

85MH325 07-29-2018 09:15 AM

Sorry... I can't convince you

After twenty years of Airstream ownership, in '06 I bought an '06 Bigfoot 25RQ and had it for nine years. In nine years, I replaced the LP regulator, the bathroom fan with a Fantastic Fan, and had the roof through-hulls resealed (at 7 years.) That's it. In nine years. It was awesome. I'd still have it today had I not found my Born Free 32RQ motorhome.

Here's a thread I started about the first five years with the Bigfoot, and I believe I updated it when I sold it in 2015. If I ever go back to travel trailers, it'll likely be a Bigfoot again.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...5rq-80793.html

Ravenquest 07-29-2018 10:07 AM

We have had an Argosy, a Airstream and an Arctic Fox and have looked at Bigfoot.
Hail damage is only one thing to look at for replacing. Living in Wyo, I would think you would look at the insulation value of anything other than Airstream. Bigfoot is 4 season. For quality of construction I would chose a Bigfoot or Arctic Fox over Airstream any day.

Picinisco 07-29-2018 10:14 AM

Slide outs and 5th wheels

MikeandCarol 07-29-2018 10:33 AM

Fiberglass trailers will not dent like aluminum. We’ve been through several hail storms, both while driving and while camping and have zero damage. A Bigfoot will give you more space on the inside than an Oliver. Olivers are four season campers, all utilities run between the inner and outer hulls and heat is ducted between the hulls as well. High quality, well built. Mike

upszeke 07-29-2018 12:06 PM

Newer Airstreams are being delivered with lots of problems from shoddy workmanship. Just talk with someone that's bought a new one in the last 3 or 4 years. If I was buying new, I'd buy a four season Lance, very high quality and well built. I have a 1982 Excella, 27 foot and it will last as long as I do.

ksteve06 07-29-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upszeke (Post 2135636)
Newer Airstreams are being delivered with lots of problems from shoddy workmanship. Just talk with someone that's bought a new one in the last 3 or 4 years. If I was buying new, I'd buy a four season Lance, very high quality and well built. I have a 1982 Excella, 27 foot and it will last as long as I do.

I have a 2017 Classic 30 twin that we have had a year now and no major problems. Sure we have had a couple of loose or missing screws that we have fixed ourselves but no big deal. I am very very happy with our second airstream and wouldn’t buy another brand. I can also guarantee that all brands will have issues.

Fair_Enough 07-29-2018 08:00 PM

I darn sure saw a Bigfoot in a park in Brookings OR had to walk over and meet the folks and get a closer look. Oliver's yes, and maybe a Arctic Fox will be cause a second glance and a vintage AS, every time. Newer AS, not so much. Lance, nah. I do appreciate the accuracy of the fit and finish on the Lance, but not at those prices. If it was true 4 season I needed, there wouldn't be a AS under the cover. There is no single perfect travel trailer, but I think I'm going to like owning this one. Its a good starting point anyway.
WW

DBinSD 07-29-2018 08:13 PM

Convince me to replace my Airstream

How much hail damage does your current AS have?

greghoro 07-29-2018 08:33 PM

Thinking outside the box.

Perhaps you can contact Airstream to see if they already have one with hail damage you can purchase at a discounted price. I saw plenty the last time I was at Jackson Center. More hail won't make that much of a difference, as it would already be "broken in".

Check the price of a hammered metal sink vs one not hammered; you would actually be increasing the value of your trailer and certainly draw people away from admiring the Terry in the campsite next to you.

Greg

Isab 07-30-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBinSD (Post 2135851)
How much hail damage does your current AS have?

Not much. It is because I have a garage. I am having the frame rewelded and the axles replaced this month. I think I will pull the Airstream for about three more years, and then sell and buy a Big Foot when my new tow vehicle is paid for. It will have to be the 21 footer. My garage will fit max a 23 foot trailer. We have covenants.

My joy isnt camping. Did enough of that in the Army. It is traveling to NRA pistol competitions, and pulling my own bed and all my equipment behind me, without having to move heavy gun boxes and ammo in and out of hotel rooms. Also no bed bugs. Im getting old, and my hobby isnt working on trailers. :)

My husband will retire in 19 months and travel with me. We used to go to Blurgrass feativals and may start doing that again as well.

mutcth 07-31-2018 06:13 AM

Given that use pattern, I think you're right to move beyond the Airstream. As you're finding, that particular 22' model tends to be more trouble-prone than others. Why put up with the hassle of an older trailer?

Olivers are very well made, but rather costly (and surprisingly heavy.) There are some other very high quality smaller trailers on the market. Safari Condo just introduced a 21' model; from what I've seen of their products, they are very well made. (You do have to take delivery in Canada though.) There is also the T@B 400; NuCamp does a very nice job with their products as well.