Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/)
-   -   Q: new external design for black & grey water disposal (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/q-new-external-design-for-black-and-grey-water-disposal-180057.html)

wakefield 04-09-2018 06:22 PM

Q: new external design for black & grey water disposal

A question- I notice new models of Airstreams now often have low, exposed (below body) pipework for black and grey water disposal. Why? It does not look great and seems vulnerable. Thx for any insights.

PKI 04-09-2018 07:39 PM

It's a gravity thing. I understand the move is an attempt to make it easier to attach the drain lines. Seems like a step back on the improvement scale. Would rather have less tankage and more clearance, but others have different agendas. Pat

Protagonist 04-09-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefield (Post 2087157)
A question- I notice new models of Airstreams now often have low, exposed (below body) pipework for black and grey water disposal. Why? It does not look great and seems vulnerable. Thx for any insights.

Drain lines/slinky fittings have to be lower than the tanks in order for the tanks to drain properly ("Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law":p) Since the waste tanks are between the frame rails, the only place to put the drain lines and slinky fittings is below the frame.

And since the gray tank has to be lower than the shower pan and the black tank has to be lower than the toilet drain, mounting the waste tanks higher than the frame rails isn't really an option, either.

A W Warn 04-09-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefield (Post 2087157)

It is not newer models only. It's been this way for years.

The less expensive models like my Safari have more waste pipes and both valves exposed to the exterior. IMO, the reason; it is less expensive to build, not having hatch doors and heated boxes to enclose the plumbing.

The more expensive models like my Excella have completely enclosed waste pipes and valves, except for the slinky connection. This cost more but they are somewhat less likely to freeze because of the heated enclosure.

TG Twinkie 04-09-2018 09:33 PM

My '74 Argosy 26' has no plumbing below the level of the bumper.
Small holding tanks, grey and black allow for this.

switz 04-10-2018 10:26 AM

Going to 15" tires and wheels from the stock 14" tires and wheels raised the exposed plumbing on our 23D about 1.2" which is a big help for getting in and out of fuel stations without dragging damage.

I had to buy a sleeping bag, a trouble light and a 5 watt light bulb from the local Walmart the first night at our summer camp ground in the mountains as the temps were going into the mid 20s. Wrapping the exposed plumbing with a small light bulb inside kept it from freezing and breaking.

zapper 04-10-2018 01:54 PM

Having had a 2007 25' Safari and had to replace the black water dump valve tucked way back underneath the rig, I was glad they moved them outboard in our current 30' FC.

From what I remember it cost me $400/labor to replace a $4.95 dump valve in the Safari. So for $400 I don't mind a bit of ugly being outboard.:)

Kyoshi 04-12-2018 04:32 PM

Low drains

I have stopped at several campsites where sewer pipe is higher than AS drain and have had to jiggle hose to get the last of it out.