Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   Honda EU2200i (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/honda-eu2200i-179830.html)

Cispook 04-05-2018 07:23 AM

Honda EU2200i
 
Already made the decision to go with the Honda generator. Primary purpose will be battery charging if and intermittent 30A power if required.
As a generator newbie I noticed Honda has two models of this generator and the only difference I see is the 30A plug which adds $100 to the cost.
Is this worth the extra dollars? What accessories will I need to hook up and get the system running?
Regards

Moflash 04-05-2018 07:38 AM

You want the one with the 30 amp plug.

Gamehawkers 04-05-2018 07:55 AM

You in your research may already know this and Not to rain on your parade but you may not realize that those small generators don’t put out 30 amps unless you link two of them with parallel cables. One of the generators is actually named the companion and has the 30 amp receptacle. By themselves each generator puts out less than 15 amps. Together they put out around 26 amps.
So, if you want to run all your 30 amp systems especially the air conditioning you need to buy both. If you only intend to charge the battery then you are correct. I am only mentioning this to save you possible grief in that running the air conditioning with only one unit will damage the air conditioning over time leading to expensive replacement

Cispook 04-05-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamehawkers (Post 2084965)
You in your research may already know this and Not to rain on your parade but you may not realize that those small generators don’t put out 30 amps unless you link two of them with parallel cables. One of the generators is actually named the companion and has the 30 amp receptacle. By themselves each generator puts out less than 15 amps. Together they put out around 26 amps.
So, if you want to run all your 30 amp systems especially the air conditioning you need to buy both. If you only intend to charge the battery then you are correct. I am only mentioning this to save you possible grief in that running the air conditioning with only one unit will damage the air conditioning over time leading to expensive replacement



Thanks - I knew it wouldn’t run the AC or put out 30A power. Doesn’t hurt to remind folks. Only looking to keep batteries up and charge phone etc.

dznf0g 04-05-2018 02:10 PM

Yeah, it'll run one a/c with an easystart installed. A 2000 will easily run my 13.5k, and some here say a 2000 will run their 15k with easystart. With 200 more watts, I am sure the 2200s will run a 15k.

Wayne&Sam 04-05-2018 02:14 PM

My old Honda 2000i runs my 15k but A/C with Easystart. Some say it won't at altitude, but a 2200 ought to be just fine, IMO.

Easystart ought to be in every A/C!

Firedog1 04-05-2018 03:09 PM

I would like to hear if anyone is running the 15K with 2200 for any length of time with easy start. I just had easy start installed and considered downsizing from 3100is to the new 2200. If I do that would like to mount it on a frame

thiel 04-05-2018 08:50 PM

I run my AC with EasyStart and a 2000, so I would imagine a 2200 would do it even easier...

PKI 04-05-2018 10:49 PM

The 30 amp outlet on the Companion is not RV plug compatible and requires a special adapter. You are just as well off with the standard unit and a 30 to 15 amp dog bone adapter that should be in your standard kit. Pat

SilverHouseDreams 04-05-2018 11:43 PM

You should always use an RV adapter plug that bonds neutral and ground, or make your own. A standard dog bone alone doesn’t do that.

Phoenix 04-06-2018 12:33 AM

Honda generators do NOT need to have the "AC neutral wire" and "ground terminal in the AC output receptacle" bonded (i.e., connected together). See text extract from Honda EU2000i Owners Manual, page 17, which appears below:

==========

GROUND SYSTEM

Honda portable generators have a system ground that connects generator frame components to the ground terminals in the AC output receptacles. The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire. If the generator is tested by a receptacle tester, it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle.

SilverHouseDreams 04-07-2018 02:54 PM

That text states the neutral and ground are NOT bonded, as is expected to occur external of the TT. I know my hardwired EMS will not enable trailer power if their is a floating neutral. I guess it is up to everyone that doesn’t have an EMS to decide if they see a floating neutral as a hazard or not...I’ll pick bonded neutral to ground as that is a proper electrical system.

https://rvtravel.com/how-generator-ne...r-an-rv-works/

rmkrum 04-08-2018 08:46 PM

Honda EU2200i
 
Any of these generators, both conventional and inverter are designed with a floating neutral.

The work around is to set up a standard duplex plug with a jumper wire between ground and neutral and plug it in to any duplex outlet on the generator. Problem solved. Label the plug clearly for safety.

Do not modify the Airstream power cord or do anything to its electrical system to “solve” the issue. It would be against the electrical code and cause a hazard. RV neutral and ground are required to only be tied together wager they are plugged in to a power distribution pedestal or properly rigged generator.

The jumper plug on the generator is the safe way to do it. Pull the jumper plug if you are not using the generator for powering the Airstream.

Garfish 04-09-2018 07:23 PM

EU 2200 and AC
 
Anyone start and run AC with new Honda 2200 without easy start and propane? This for 16 foot sport

HClews 06-07-2018 08:06 AM

EU 2200i
 
Just bought an EU 2200i propane-converted generator from GenConnex. It came with a hose for direct connection to our low-pressure port, and a 30-A "bonding plug" allowing our 30-A RV cord to plug into the generator. (It's an EU2200i Companion model.)
Prime reason to go with propane is that our TV is an SUV - a Dodge Durango - and we didn't want gasoline, and gasoline smell, in the back of the car.

https://www.snodoglog.com/images/3066-EU2200iC-Box.jpg

https://www.snodoglog.com/images/3093...iC-Running.jpg

Happy to report that the propane-powered 2200 - with an Easy-Start, which I just installed - starts and runs our Penguin II 15K AC, even in the Ecco mode. (Of course, we're presently near sea level; above 5000 ft might be different. We'll let you know.)

I posted photos of the Easy Start installation, see post #197.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ml#post2111769

Happy so far,
Henry

OTRA15 06-07-2018 08:59 AM

Thanks for the detailed update, Henry! Your Post #197 in that other thread is also very much appreciated. Easy to relate to the >70 on-the-roof comment!

We use a Yamaha 1k unit on the propane port, for similar reasons, but would have gone for the Honda 2200 if it had been available, in order to run the A/C too.

Peter

pcskier 06-07-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HClews (Post 2111866)
Happy to report that the propane-powered 2200 - with an Easy-Start, which I just installed - starts and runs our Penguin II 15K AC, even in the Ecco mode. (Of course, we're presently near sea level; above 5000 ft might be different. We'll let you know.)

I noticed on the Genconnex website, there is not a mention of the Honda 2200i generator, or conversion kit for 2200...just the 2000i available for purchase, or kit. I'm wondering if they are keeping mum on the 2200 because they have a supply of 2000's they need to liquidate. That would be a shame, since for the gas models, the list price from Honda for the 2200 is the same as the older 2000 was. Seems to be a bit unethical to continue selling 2000s (unless discounted) when you can get an improved 2200 at the same price. Unless someone asks, which I presume you did. Besides the increased power, the 2200 changed the oil drain so it's easier to change the oil, and added a fuel shut off so the fuel in the bowl can be burned off, rather than having to drain it before longer term storage.


Did you have to call Genconnex and specifically ask them about the 2200...and what was the cost for a propane-fired unit?


Yes please update if you try it at elevation. I'm at 6200 feet and can't run mine with the Easy Start and Honda EU2000. Will be curious to see if that extra 200 watts would be enough to get it done. Not that I expect to need AC that often at these elevations...Even if warm during the day, temps drop quickly at night.

HClews 06-08-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcskier (Post 2112005)
I noticed on the Genconnex website, there is not a mention of the Honda 2200i generator, or conversion kit for 2200...just the 2000i available for purchase, or kit. I'm wondering if they are keeping mum on the 2200 because they have a supply of 2000's they need to liquidate. That would be a shame, since for the gas models, the list price from Honda for the 2200 is the same as the older 2000 was. Seems to be a bit unethical to continue selling 2000s (unless discounted) when you can get an improved 2200 at the same price. Unless someone asks, which I presume you did. Besides the increased power, the 2200 changed the oil drain so it's easier to change the oil, and added a fuel shut off so the fuel in the bowl can be burned off, rather than having to drain it before longer term storage.


Did you have to call Genconnex and specifically ask them about the 2200...and what was the cost for a propane-fired unit?

Yes, I emailed them before placing my order and received this reply:

"Hi, yes all units shipped are now automatically upgraded to the EU2200 version. We just haven’t updated the pictures and descriptions yet."

The prices shown on their website for the 2000 remain the same for the 2200 model.

I ordered the complete "GenConnex RV 2 Package". Here's what I got:

Description: GenConneX 2.2kWatt 120Vac-30A Propane Portable-Power System. Package includes GenConneX GXG-LP-EU2200i-COMP-EC Propane modified Honda Inverter Generator, 6 foot propane hose with regulator, 12 foot 1/4 inch propane extension hose with 3/8 inch female quick-disconnect for generator and 1/4 inch male quick-disconnect for connecting to trailer auxiliary low pressure propane outlet, GenConneX 30Amp N-G bonding plug to 30Amp camper plug adapter, easy oil change funnel, Honda cover and 1 quart of 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.
Unit Price: $1,749.99

A bit pricey, but it was plug & play. I added 1/2 qt of oil, connected the hose to the low-pressure port, plugged in a 30-A cord - and it started second pull!

Looking forward to some happy boondocking...

4RXLA 06-10-2018 01:15 AM

Curious to know how much propane is consumed per day of use?

OTRA15 06-10-2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HClews (Post 2112339)
. . .
Unit Price: $1,749.99

A bit pricey, but it was plug & play. I added 1/2 qt of oil, connected the hose to the low-pressure port, plugged in a 30-A cord - and it started second pull!

Looking forward to some happy boondocking...

Thanks for the details. Another factor favoring this solution IMO is that this gen is available for use at home, during winter storms and summer hurricanes, as a very portable power source which can be taken anywhere that you can find a 20-lb. BBQ tank [translation -- everywhere :)]. Your friends and relatives will appreciate you showing up to power their fridges and freezers in an emergency, even if your home power is OK.

Very handy also for beach parties if you need 120-volts for something temporarily. With a 50' long #12 AWG extension cord, given the low decibel levels at idle, during an active party at the ocean, you would not even hear the thing at all [sound of waves >>> gen sound].

20-lb. BBQ tanks are so ubiquitous that you usually don't need to bring one along, just go to the local hardware store, gas station, 7-11, etc., where a new one can be purchased. Actually, most people already have one or two tanks at home we have found. You might have to swap out an empty tank for a full one, but that is safer than driving around with a full propane tank inside your vehicle [non-pickups, that is].

Thanks again for the details, and have fun using the new gen/inverter!

Peter


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.