Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electronics & Connectivity (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/)
-   -   TST TPMS Color or BW? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/tst-tpms-color-or-bw-178614.html)

MWBishop 03-07-2018 05:49 AM

TST TPMS Color or BW?

Yes, I know I do need to get TPMS (amongst other things).
TST seems to be popular and recommended.
So Color or BW?
Is the color unit really worth the extra $50?

Philip Jones 03-07-2018 05:53 AM

I doubt it is worth it. The TPMS’ job is to give you numbers. The screen is very legible without being in colour.

MikeandCarol 03-07-2018 07:18 AM

We’ve had the BW TST for a couple of years and are happy with it. I looked at the color unit at the big RV show in Quartzsite in January. Looks nice but they wanted $100 for it. I might go an extra 50 if buying new now, but not 100. The BW does the job. Mike

Mollysdad 03-07-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWBishop (Post 2074211)
So Color or BW?

I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I find the B&W display really ugly with the tractor trailer outline.
I understand why TST can't change it because the monitor is used with several TPMS brands and so TST probably just buys them in a batch from China.
I find the color one less geared to semi's. Besides the color unit moved the controls to the front so they're more accessible.
People say that they don't look at the monitor unless they get a "beep" alarm, but for me it's the color.
Tweedy's has a package with the color and four sensors for $297 (as I recall).
Amazon seems to be behind the curve here.

It's my next big purchase after I deal with replacing the valve stems.

I still would like the outline in the form of a screen protector overlay, so I could choose, RV, trailer, boat, semi, or one unit. Only the tires would be on the actual monitor.

Silvr_Bullet 03-07-2018 09:45 AM

https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

This unit TireMinder Smart TPMS unit uses your smartphone as a display. I donít know the price comparison to other brands, the color display will show red information, probably useful while driving that it will be an immediate visual cue to a problem. I have this unit but havenít installed it yet, still another few weeks of iffy weather here in the NE.

VaTravelers 03-07-2018 09:53 AM

I have used the EezTire 515 TPMS for two years now and have had great results. It's black and white and has not required a booster for connectivity. I have a 28' dual axle AS and a full size F250. The only issue I had was after about 1.5 years of continuous use I had to replace the sensor batteries. To replace all 8 it was around $16. I would probably extend the life if I remove the sensors after every trip (since they are pressure activated) but I didn't want to go through the hassle of that.

Fred L 03-07-2018 10:39 AM

Also planning on adding a TPMS this year, but confused on the abilities of internal sensors (inside the tire) and external cap sensors. Is there a difference in the level of detection, or quality of information that they provide ?
Can both provide temperatures and tire pressure?

Adventure.AS 03-07-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred L (Post 2074310)
Also planning on adding a TPMS this year, but confused on the abilities of internal sensors (inside the tire) and external cap sensors. Is there a difference in the level of detection, or quality of information that they provide ?
Can both provide temperatures and tire pressure?

Depending upon the model you choose they can provide both temperature and pressure and importantly alarms.

I have the TST 507 which is the external cap type. I ordered a 5th sensor for the spare tire as I wanted to be sure that it was always ready for use without having to crawl under the A-frame to check it with a hand held gauge.

They weigh very little so don't affect the tire balance. My wheels had the metal valve stems. When the battery wears out they are inexpensive and easy to replace vs. the internal sensors. Some people use the flow-through type of cap for ease of adjusting tire pressure, but my Michelins rarely require adding/removing air so having to remove the caps is no more of a chore than removing a normal cap (which you have to do from the flow-through type anyway.)

bradt 03-07-2018 01:11 PM

When I got new tires, I took the opportunity to install the Dill internal sensors, purchased thru Discount Tire. I have been very pleased. Robust communication, will still receive signals from 200ft away! The remote antenna kit is excellent. For me, I think it's convenient Not to have the external screw-on type anymore.

Brad

joshjack 03-07-2018 05:49 PM

I too have the BW display. Itís easy enough to read and if you set the tires up correctly, it only shows the ones matching your layout. At night the light is plenty bright, almost too bright as I like my cabin pretty dark for driving out in the country.

Jstsal69 03-07-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet (Post 2074286)
https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

This unit TireMinder Smart TPMS unit uses your smartphone as a display. I donít know the price comparison to other brands, the color display will show red information, probably useful while driving that it will be an immediate visual cue to a problem. I have this unit but havenít installed it yet, still another few weeks of iffy weather here in the NE.

This is a great system and one I own and would recommend to anyone in the market for a TPMS. Since it uses your smart phone instead of an additional monitor the cabin is less crowded with additional things to watch. Pls let me know how you like it once installed.

Philip Jones 03-08-2018 05:29 AM

But what happens when I need to use my phone as a phone or web browser? A lot of apps do not wake up once they lose the primary focus and I worry a tire leak would not be pushed to the phone...

Protagonist 03-08-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstsal69 (Post 2074506)
This is a great system and one I own and would recommend to anyone in the market for a TPMS. Since it uses your smart phone instead of an additional monitor the cabin is less crowded with additional things to watch.

My smartphone already has too many things that need to connect to it via Bluetooth, so I can't even pair it to a hands-free device anymore, let alone a TPMS. I'd rather have a separate display that doesn't require a smartphone to use.

Adventure.AS 03-08-2018 05:54 AM

There are a few advantages to the color display.

1. It uses a micro USB cable for charging so you don't need a clunky cigarette lighter adapter like the BW version.
2. The charge apparently last for days, so it doesn't need to be left plugged in.
3. This display is larger, so easier to read (although I must admit that I don't read the display often when driving as it diverts my attention too long for the complete cycle through the tires.)
4. It has a suction mounting system so that it can be mounted to the windshield.

MWBishop 03-08-2018 06:17 AM

I found the TST507 Color with 4 caps and repeater (if needed) for $297.
Probably a wise "investment" considering the damage a blown tire can do.
I am very anal with respect to tire pressures on my TV, so this is really a no-brainer.
Thanks all.

Adventure.AS 03-08-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWBishop (Post 2074562)
I found the TST507 Color with 4 caps and repeater (if needed) for $297.
Probably a wise "investment" considering the damage a blown tire can do.
I am very anal with respect to tire pressures on my TV, so this is really a no-brainer.
Thanks all.

You can purchase a single sensor directly from TST Truck for use on the spare tire. It will help with your peace-of-mind to always know that the spare is ready for use if needed.

BTW, I found it interesting, when first using the system, how sensitive the system was as the tires on the sunny side of the trailer showed up warmer and with a slightly higher PSI.

Silvr_Bullet 03-08-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstsal69 (Post 2074506)
This is a great system and one I own and would recommend to anyone in the market for a TPMS. Since it uses your smart phone instead of an additional monitor the cabin is less crowded with additional things to watch. Pls let me know how you like it once installed.

I certainly will!

joshjack 03-08-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 2074557)
There are a few advantages to the color display.

1. It uses a micro USB cable for charging so you don't need a clunky cigarette lighter adapter like the BW version.

I hardwired mine, :-)

MWBishop 03-11-2018 07:36 AM

Thanks again for all the recommendations.
I ordered the TST color from TechnoRV and it arrived 2 days later.
It was $25 extra for the color with the repeater (likely not needed).
Got to say it's a nice unit, simple to set up, and glad I finally have a TPMS.
Look forward to hitting the road with a little more peace-of-mind.

Mollysdad 03-11-2018 09:07 AM

What temp do you see while driving?
Just curious.