Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   WiFi?? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/wifi-178465.html)

wachuko 03-03-2018 06:35 PM

WiFi??
 
Our 2018 are not WiFi enabled for the blue ray player that comes with it??? Only network option that I see in the menu is wired network.

?????

Can someone confirm before I go but looking for the way to make it work.

FlyFishinRVr 03-03-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2072818)
Our 2018 are not WiFi enabled for the blue ray player that comes with it??? Only network option that I see in the menu is wired network.

?????

Can someone confirm before I go but looking for the way to make it work.

Correct.

The easy solution is to install a WiFi router w/ switch. Plug a switch port into the BlueRay player and either "borrow" local WiFi or set up a hotspot with your cell phone. Done.

I won't go into the sensitive topic of "should we have to do this"......

wachuko 03-03-2018 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr (Post 2072820)
Correct.

The easy solution is to install a WiFi router w/ switch. Plug a switch port into the BlueRay player and either "borrow" local WiFi or set up a hotspot with your cell phone. Done.

I won't go into the sensitive topic of "should we have to do this"......

Thank you!

Wife surprised me with a night out in the driveway and we wanted to watch some Netflix.

I will look for a WiFi router to install in our Airstream

FlyFishinRVr 03-03-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2072822)
Wife surprised me with a night out in the driveway and we wanted to watch some Netflix.

She's a keeper.... ;)

FlyFishinRVr 03-03-2018 07:11 PM

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Route...%2Brouter&th=1

$25

If you're a geek like me, opt for the open source version with DDWRT for $45. :cool:

rmkrum 03-03-2018 10:56 PM

Geeks, regardless of what others may think, actually DO rule the world....(evil laugh)[emoji48]

daleyocum 03-03-2018 11:32 PM

I think the adapter would depend on where the WiFi is coming from. Unless configured as an access point a typical router wants to be provided with internet via an ethernet cable. For some that can be some confusing setting mumbo jumbo.

They also make devices that do nothing more than give your Blueray player WiFi. They have to be configured as well, however, with the WiFi SSID and password. Here’s one example but I’m sure there are many.

The cool-kid solution is to outfit your trailer with its own WiFi network. Then you could indeed have a router with an ethernet port. The Technomadia folks have written a whole guide on this, though you need to pay a nominal fee for some content. www.rvmobileinternet.com

FlyFishinRVr 03-03-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleyocum (Post 2072881)
I think the adapter would depend on where the WiFi is coming from. Unless configured as an access point a typical router wants to be provided with internet via an ethernet cable. For some that can be some confusing setting mumbo jumbo.

Most wireless routers have a simple AP mode selection that takes care of most settings for you. My ASUS is like that, as was my Buffalo before I flashed it with DDWRT. Now it's a beast (much to my daughter's dismay, like when she tries, and fails, to watch a YouTube video on her laptop when she's supposed to be doing homework, LOL).... ;)

rmkrum 03-03-2018 11:59 PM

(SFX) Evil, evil laugh.

Heh, what geek daddy hasnít pulled off something like that?

daleyocum 03-04-2018 09:35 AM

Another, simpler, way to solve this problem is to ignore the BlueRay player all together. Just plug your favorite streaming adapter directly into the TV or into the HDMI plug at the BlueRay player. Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, all work great.

WiFi or LTE wonít likely make it from outside the trailer to the inside at much distance but thatís another problem money can solve.

wachuko 03-04-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleyocum (Post 2072963)
Another, simpler, way to solve this problem is to ignore the BlueRay player all together. Just plug your favorite streaming adapter directly into the TV or into the HDMI plug at the BlueRay player. Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, all work great.

WiFi or LTE wonít likely make it from outside the trailer to the inside at much distance but thatís another problem money can solve.

Hummm I do have a spare Apple TV and an Amazon Firestick... did not think of that...

FlyFishinRVr 03-04-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleyocum (Post 2072963)
Another, simpler, way to solve this problem is to ignore the BlueRay player all together. Just plug your favorite streaming adapter directly into the TV or into the HDMI plug at the BlueRay player. Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, all work great.

WiFi or LTE won’t likely make it from outside the trailer to the inside at much distance but that’s another problem money can solve.

It might be simpler, but it's definitely more expensive.

Having said that, it's the solution I typically use since we already had a AppleTV. :blush: Together with my WeBoost Drive 4G-X and unlimited data plan from Verizon on my iPhone, it all works quite well. I have the AppleTV up in the media cabinet next to my BlueRay player and connected to my TV's via the HDMI switch box. My iPhone is in a cradle up on the dash with the internal antenna from the WeBoost right next to it (once parked, I take the iPhone out of the cradle and set it right on top of the antenna for max boost...but keep the iPhone connected to power, because it struggles to keep charged when being used as a hotspot). With the iPhone set up as a WiFi hotspot for the van, I connect the ApppleTV to it and viola, done. This way we don't have to deal with DVD's (bringing them, losing them.....plus we haven't purchased a DVD in years) and we have significantly more variety available to us should we decide to watch a movie vs. sitting outside and watching the campfire and stars (our preferred evening activity). :wally:

73shark 03-04-2018 03:40 PM

I use a T-Mobile SyncUP Drive module that plugs into the OBD II port. Besides wifi, it also gives an alert when a door is opened and it reports battery condition, fuel, trip history, recalls, vehicle location, etc.

Had to get a splitter cable so could keep the ScanGauge II connected.

FlyFishinRVr 03-04-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 2073085)
I use a T-Mobile SyncUP Drive module that plugs into the OBD II port. Besides wifi, it also gives an alert when a door is opened and it reports battery condition, fuel, trip history, recalls, vehicle location, etc.

Had to get a splitter cable so could keep the ScanGauge II connected.

Cool device, but I can't find much info on plans for it. It seems to come with 2GB, but how do you buy more?

Also, the MB Sprinter w/ 6 cyl diesel isn't listed as being compatible..... :huh:

73shark 03-04-2018 10:21 PM

I'm on my daughter's family plan which has unlimited minutes.

daleyocum 03-05-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr (Post 2073002)
It might be simpler, but it's definitely more expensive.

Certainly true that an Apple TV is a more expense solution, though perhaps one worthwhile for those deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like me. It lets you easily connect your laptop via Airplay to the screen among other things.

That said, the media sticks like the Amazon Firestick $40 or the Roku at $30 are an amazing deals. Ether will run rings around using the Blueray player as a streaming device. These things are constantly being updated so be sure to search for the latest offerings.

FlyFishinRVr 03-05-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleyocum (Post 2073253)
Certainly true that an Apple TV is a more expense solution, though perhaps one worthwhile for those deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like me. It lets you easily connect your laptop via Airplay to the screen among other things.

That said, the media sticks like the Amazon Firestick $40 or the Roku at $30 are an amazing deals. Ether will run rings around using the Blueray player as a streaming device. These things are constantly being updated so be sure to search for the latest offerings.

Completely agree on all counts. I was THIS close >< to getting a Firestick, but like you, I'm in pretty deep w/ Apple so when it was time to make my home TV a bit "smarter", AppleTV was the winner. There's something to be said for plugging their gear in and it "just works". While I do (at times) enjoy geeking out with the other gear since it tends to be more open, and therefore more flexible, my family isn't so enthusiastic about my little "experiments", so selecting gear they can all use with relative ease is a big factor in my buying decisions.....:blush:

sthrngary 03-05-2018 09:41 AM

Here was my solution
 
At home I don't have cable at all. Instead, I have AppleTV hooked to all my TV's. However, when updated my last iPhone with AT&T, they offered me "WiFi Directv". No antenna's needed. I was hesitant but it has worked GREAT for us. You name the stream movie source, we get it including Directv and HBOgo.

Be for I explain, you have to have unlimited data from your source to do this which we do have.
  1. You will need the new AppleTV, it has the ability to get the Directv app.
  2. You will need an internet source and I use the mobile hotspot from AT&T. This is also used with my Fusion Infotainment System.
  3. You have one or two HDMI input in the back of your 4X4 HDMI switcher, just plug it in.
  4. HIND: The wooden box that holds the Blu-Ray and HDMI switcher has Velcro on the bottom, so it is easy to gain access.
  5. If you set up your NEW Apple TV correctly, it will only need the AppleTV remote to turn on TV and volume.
You obviously can use any WiFi signal from home, RV site, ECT. Just change the WiFi signal in the AppleTV prior to using.

I hope that is helpful.

Gary T.

FlyFishinRVr 03-05-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthrngary (Post 2073374)
[*]You will need an internet source and I use the mobile hotspot from AT&T.

I hope that is helpful.

Gary T.

Thanks Gary.

Just to be clear, is this "mobile hotspot" an additional device with an additional data plan, or is this setting up your iPhone as a Hotspot?

One reason I got rid of my old AT&T unlimited plan/phone is because AT&T disabled the ability to put my iPhone in hotspot mode. They did this because they didn't want people doing exactly what I do now with Verizon, which is have an unlimited data phone plan AND set my iPhone up as my hotspot. At the time, AT&T was only interested in selling ANOTHER device and charge ANOTHER fee. Curious if that's now changed.....

sthrngary 03-05-2018 12:52 PM

FlyFishinRVr:

To specifically answer your question. What I bought was a data only plan for my HotSpot. The HotSpot was 1 cent. Yes I had to add the data only hotspot to my account.

The two plans they have a HUGE cost difference. I bought the cheaper one. Unlimited data for all phones and hotspot. HOWEVER, although my hotspot can handle 10 devices, my phones can not provide hotspots any more (Just as you said below). I tried reception with phone first then with hotspot. Hotspot did the trick so I gave up my ability to use my phone as a hotspot and saved the money.

I was going to go to Verizon also. Move all my phones, iPad and get a hotspot. When I did the math, AT&T cost much less. This is my situation but everyone should do a cost comparison. The one thing I know was the reception/streaming services worked much better on a hotspot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr (Post 2073418)
Thanks Gary.

Just to be clear, is this "mobile hotspot" an additional device with an additional data plan, or is this setting up your iPhone as a Hotspot?

One reason I got rid of my old AT&T unlimited plan/phone is because AT&T disabled the ability to put my iPhone in hotspot mode. They did this because they didn't want people doing exactly what I do now with Verizon, which is have an unlimited data phone plan AND set my iPhone up as my hotspot. At the time, AT&T was only interested in selling ANOTHER device and charge ANOTHER fee. Curious if that's now changed.....



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.