Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2018 - Current Globetrotter (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/)
-   -   New Globetrotter Owner - 2019 (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f543/new-globetrotter-owner-2019-a-177286.html)

garypilot55 01-31-2018 03:45 PM

New Globetrotter Owner - 2019

Hello - first time posting. We have been researching Airstream's for quite some time and finally decided to buy. My wife fell in love with the Globetrotter. After attending the Atlanta RV Show we went to the local dealer and decided on the 2018 Globetrotter. The local dealer (Southland RV) in Atlanta said that effective yesterday Airstream was not taking orders on 2018 models. We decided to put money down on the 2019 model, don't know all the specifics about the model at this time. The salesman is looking into the 2018 to 2019 changes. Expected deliver is sometime in June but they will have something firmer later.

Now doing research on tow vehicles. I was leaning toward Ford F250 Diesel but someone recommended looking at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummings Diesel. Don't see too many forum hits when I search on Nissan. I didn't realize how expensive trucks have gotten. Any information on Nissan?

Thanks,
Gary Collier

Hans627 02-02-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2061755)
Hello - first time posting. We have been researching Airstream's for quite some time and finally decided to buy. My wife fell in love with the Globetrotter. After attending the Atlanta RV Show we went to the local dealer and decided on the 2018 Globetrotter. The local dealer (Southland RV) in Atlanta said that effective yesterday Airstream was not taking orders on 2018 models. We decided to put money down on the 2019 model, don't know all the specifics about the model at this time. The salesman is looking into the 2018 to 2019 changes. Expected deliver is sometime in June but they will have something firmer later.

Now doing research on tow vehicles. I was leaning toward Ford F250 Diesel but someone recommended looking at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummings Diesel. Don't see too many forum hits when I search on Nissan. I didn't realize how expensive trucks have gotten. Any information on Nissan?

Thanks,
Gary Collier

So I assume itís only the 2018 Globetrotter for which no more orders will be taken. Or are all models sold out the remainder of the year?

Just curious as I just ordered a GT on Jan. 22nd and was promised (well sort of promised as a you know how these things tend to be) a delivery by March 31st.

garypilot55 02-03-2018 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans627 (Post 2062323)
So I assume itís only the 2018 Globetrotter for which no more orders will be taken. Or are all models sold out the remainder of the year?

Just curious as I just ordered a GT on Jan. 22nd and was promised (well sort of promised as a you know how these things tend to be) a delivery by March 31st.

It was said they were sold out, more demand than production.

DLDINS 02-14-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2061755)

Thanks,
Gary Collier

I don't have info on the Nissan but FWIW I too have a Globetrotter on order and just went thru the shopping exercise for a truck.

I decided that the truck had to be a Chevy or a Ford. Here is why: I had a class A motorhome that I traded for the AS. I had a mechanical breakdown (overheating) in Michigan last November that taught me a lesson. We had the overheating problem with the class A on Friday afternoon of Labor Day Weekend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No help to be found. The motorhome is on a Freightliner Chassis. Closest dealer was Traverse City (already Closed) and the Grand Rapids (could not help us for 1 1/2 weeks). I decided right then and there that the next tow vehicle needed to have a HUGH dealer network so I could get help. That meant a Chevy or a Ford. (I'm not a Dodge fan.) I also decided it needed to be gas as the highway prices for diesel are much higher these days.

That said, I traded the Class A, bought a Globetrotter and bought a truck.

I wanted plenty of capacity so I got the Silverado 1500 with the big (6.2L) engines and the option (NHT) Max Trailering Package. That gives me a tow rating of 12,500, and 1996 of payload, but a ride better than a HD truck, and a gas engine. (Although the manual prefers 93 octane gas.) The Globetrotter is rated at 7,600 so I have 40% margin, should tow like a breeze. I also have plenty of payload for the generator, bikes, grill and such.

That NHT package is hard to find, use the GM "Dealer Search" tool on the web to spec out the truck and find it.

DLDINS 02-14-2018 10:45 AM

Gary,

If you want a 2018, Foley RV in Gulfport has one in London Gray which we almost bought.

Roadtech 02-14-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2066506)
I wanted plenty of capacity so I got the Silverado 1500 with the big (6.2L) engines and the option (NHT) Max Trailering Package. That gives me a tow rating of 12,500, and 1996 of payload, but a ride better than a HD truck, and a gas engine. (Although the manual prefers 93 octane gas.) The Globetrotter is rated at 7,600 so I have 40% margin, should tow like a breeze. I also have plenty of payload for the generator, bikes, grill and such.

What hitch did you go with?

garypilot55 02-15-2018 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2066513)
Gary,

If you want a 2018, Foley RV in Gulfport has one in London Gray which we almost bought.

Thanks for the suggestion. We put down a non refundable deposit and the timing will be good with all other things we have planned until the projected June arrival. I did call the factory directly and inquired about the 2019 specs and the sales contact at the factory said they won't know anything until May. This just seems strange you commit to something of which you don't what the options are of for the model. I did advise the dealer if there were considerable changes I couldn't live with I expected a full refund and may seek an alternate model. Keeping our fingers crossed not much has changed.

Thanks again.

garypilot55 02-15-2018 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2066506)
I don't have info on the Nissan but FWIW I too have a Globetrotter on order and just went thru the shopping exercise for a truck.

I decided that the truck had to be a Chevy or a Ford. Here is why: I had a class A motorhome that I traded for the AS. I had a mechanical breakdown (overheating) in Michigan last November that taught me a lesson. We had the overheating problem with the class A on Friday afternoon of Labor Day Weekend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No help to be found. The motorhome is on a Freightliner Chassis. Closest dealer was Traverse City (already Closed) and the Grand Rapids (could not help us for 1 1/2 weeks). I decided right then and there that the next tow vehicle needed to have a HUGH dealer network so I could get help. That meant a Chevy or a Ford. (I'm not a Dodge fan.) I also decided it needed to be gas as the highway prices for diesel are much higher these days.

That said, I traded the Class A, bought a Globetrotter and bought a truck.

That NHT package is hard to find, use the GM "Dealer Search" tool on the web to spec out the truck and find it.

I'm with you on potential repair options. I've narrowed my selection to either a Ford F250 or Dodge Ram, leaning more toward Ford. I know they are more pricey, either way I want plenty of capacity not to worry since this if my first experience towing. I've rented Class A/C Motor Homes over the past couple years and was not impressed with how they rode. I like the fact we can park and have another means of transportation.

DLDINS 02-15-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtech (Post 2066515)

I am still shopping.

Started looking with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but owners are not totally thrilled with the amount that it actually stops sway.
Now looking at the Reese Steady-Flex, liking what I am seeing but need to read some reviews by experienced owners.

DLDINS 02-15-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2066740)
I'm with you on potential repair options. I've narrowed my selection to either a Ford F250 or Dodge Ram, leaning more toward Ford. I know they are more pricey, either way I want plenty of capacity not to worry since this if my first experience towing. I've rented Class A/C Motor Homes over the past couple years and was not impressed with how they rode. I like the fact we can park and have another means of transportation.

I looked at the Ford with the V-6 Ecoboost engine. Shyed away from it because of reports of very poor engines braking help on downhill grades. I do like the bigger 34 gal gas tank on the Ford, my Chevy only has 26 gal. Will be stopping for fuel a lot.

Roadtech 02-15-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2066846)
I am still shopping.
Started looking with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but owners are not totally thrilled with the amount that it actually stops sway.

I have done a ton of research on the SwayPro on multiple trailer forums and other forums, and I am getting over 20 to 1 to the good, reviews . About the only negatives were from owners with long (over 30') trailers and what I would consider marginal TV's for the size trailers. Some don't like the chain latching mechanism, but according to many users, if the trailer and TV are both lifted by the tongue jack, the chains go on and off easily.

brick1 02-15-2018 12:20 PM

We ordered a 2018 International Serenity 28 from Southland a month ago. Late April delivery. Great service so far.
brick

Nightmare67 02-15-2018 12:24 PM

We ordered an ‘18 on Feb 12. Should be delivered last week of March.

I think the confusion in ordering is, as explained by our sales person is that you cannot order an new unit as the production line if full. What AS of Scottsdale did was make the changes we wanted to one of their
existing orders.

RobAsia 03-31-2018 04:55 PM

20 Days

We are 20 days from our 2019 Globetrotter being shipped to WI, and are very excited for it to arrive.

We currently pull a livestock trailer (about 1/2 the weight of the GT) with our 2014 Ram 3500. This is a dream truck for pulling, I can cruise down the highway at 70 mph only running 1500 RPM and purring like a Kitten. Our 2008 F250 ride worse than a semi, We even test drove the 2017 F250 and still chose the Ram over Ford.

I'm counting on my Ram performing well with the GT. BTW it has the Cummins Turbo Diesel

All The Best

cbburke 06-09-2018 02:15 PM

While you are hitch shopping check out out th Equal-I-zer brand hitch. Very stable and no chains to deal with. I tow a 30' Classic with an F250.

garypilot55 06-09-2018 02:38 PM

Update. Delivery moved from June to End of July. I ended up buying the F250 last month, love the truck. Canít wait to hit the road. Still waiting on official announcement about 2019 models. Heard they extended warranty from 2 to 3 years.

StreamingEagle 06-09-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2112795)
Heard they extended warranty from 2 to 3 years.

This would be a good thing for sure! I'm swaying towards ordering a GT very soon and having some quality apprehensions, the extended warranty helps ease the brain a bit. Hope it's true

brick1 06-09-2018 07:26 PM

We got our International Serenity 28 from Southland on time. Build date was accurate, delivery was perfect, and after sales service has been great, too. Traded my 2016 Expedition for an F250 Diesel. Fantastic towing capacity.
We love our new Airstream...

DLDINS 06-10-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtech (Post 2066515)

Although I looked at the Blue-Ox Sway Proat first, I actually went with the Reese Steady Flex. I really like the way the spring bars fit into the brackets on the frame. It tows great. I also like that the friction points are actually friction pads. My only concern is the friction pads breaking apart. I could see if you are not careful putting the spring bars in place the edge of the friction pads could get damaged. I/ve towed about 4 times now and mine are fine but some other users reported the friction pads cracking and falling apart.

Martee 06-10-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2113204)
Although I looked at the Blue-Ox Sway Proat first, I actually went with the Reese Steady Flex. I really like the way the spring bars fit into the brackets on the frame. It tows great. I also like that the friction points are actually friction pads. My only concern is the friction pads breaking apart. I could see if you are not careful putting the spring bars in place the edge of the friction pads could get damaged. I/ve towed about 4 times now and mine are fine but some other users reported the friction pads cracking and falling apart.

I also am using the Reese Steadi Flex for my FC 25FBT and love the setup. Easy hookup and very uncomplicated for first time towing users. My initial use during towing, the tapered bars wore the antisway brake pads in a certain way and then finally settled down, and since that first use, those brake pads just eliminate any and all sway.

Dmmdtm 06-10-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2112795)
Still waiting on official announcement about 2019 models. Heard they extendedd warranty from 2 to 3 years.

So I confirmed through the AS rep via my dealer that the 2019 GT includes as standard: power awning, additional awnings, and rear camera. And warranty and coach net coverage will be 3 years.

We pick ours up in Sept and canít wait!

D.

StreamingEagle 06-11-2018 09:02 AM

For those looking to purchase a 2019 GT, just talked to Woodland and they said the orders are out until December 2018 as of right now. There is possibility of getting it moved up, but Dec 2018 is expectations.

Nothing like picking up a new trailer in December in Michigan! LOL

garypilot55 07-23-2018 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After a six month wait, delivery of our new 2019 Globetrotter was Friday. After reading several post of quality issues from other new deliveries I was a little concerned. That quickly went away after our walk-through. I have to commend Southland RV (Atlanta) for their extensive detail to attention of delivery and explaining every aspect of the trailer. I have been consumed with reading forums and watching videos about Airstreams for the past several months and was well prepared. My wife videoed a couple of the detailed items such as hitch set-up, electrical discussions, etc. We went through the operation of everything ensuring it worked and had a basic understanding.

A few minor issues were found but nothing major that would impact the operation of anything, mostly cosmetic. After we take her out for a couple shake down trips we will schedule a follow-up visit to get the few things corrected and add a couple items this fall. Again Southland RV was fantastic!

The drive home with my new F250 through Atlanta expressways and back-roads was a breeze. As people have reported I couldn't even tell there was a trailer back there. People passing obviously could tell it was new and were giving the high-five signs.

Our first trip will be to Top of Georgia in a couple weeks to get more sage advice from other Airstreamers. Labor Day is to Charleston to hook up with my son from Virginia Beach who has a 36' trailer (other brand). From then on, the trips are endless. My wife and I are both Air Force Reserve retirees, I also retired from IBM and AT&T (last year). Now we have time and a great trailer to experience the country side. My only concern is when will I find time to fly my Bonanza Aircraft!

Picture not the greatest, we forgot to have the dealer take one before we left.

Gary and Michelle

GOUSC 07-23-2018 02:57 PM

Congrats! Nice looking set up. We got our GT in April and also had no real issues on delivery (only 2 minor items that were easily addressed. We love our GT and tow with a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax. Basically the same set up as you so I know you are pleased with your towing experience.

brick1 07-23-2018 03:05 PM

Congratulations. We have also been very happy with our purchase and service from Southland. Our new F250 tows great��
Enjoy your new toy...

garypilot55 09-04-2018 05:42 AM

We were excited about our first trip after a very thorough check-out of the trailer. As I sad before we elected Top of Georgia because of the proximity to us and the wonderful people there.

After a short 1.5 hour drive we arrived at Top of Georgia with no issues. Everything worked great on the first day, then things went downhill fast. When we were in the pre-purchase phase I was adamant about NOT wanting an electric awning after reading all the horror stories online. Airstream elected to make the new 2019 models mandatory with automatic electric awnings (bad decision in my opinion) so we were stuck. As luck would have it, it broke on the very first trip. I extended it, closed it when we left for the day and then attempted to open the next day - no luck. The status display panel was showing it was still open even though it appeared closed. I followed the instructions to attempt to correct, no luck. Called Zip Dee directly - couldn't help and said it needed to go back to the dealer. Added to the list of repair items.

First night we had hot water with no problem. 2nd day we were running the hot water and noticed it was warm, not hot. Eventually after draining the tank of the hot water, there was none. Tank was filling but not heating. Tried everything, electric, propane, both. Nothing

One of the cabinet lights over the table in the front would not turn off when the door was closed - they are magnetic switches. Called Airstream to see if there was a way to control those lights other than magnetic switch - no there isn't. Airstream advised cutting the wire so battery would not drain.

I have to admit I was a little concerned about the quality of my new trailer. Called the dealer (Southland RV - Atlanta) where we bought it on the drive back and asked if I could bring it in on Saturday. We had already planned a family event in Charleston, SC the following Wednesday so I wanted at least some hot water. Southland RV Service was fantastic.
They were able to fix everything in time for me to pick it up on Tuesday and also added an EZ Start on one of the AC units.

Awning - they were own the phone with Zip Dee for hours with no luck. They found some wiring issues and ended up extending manually and retracted it to get the system to obtain the correct status.

Water Heater - replaced the control board.

Light - replaced the bad magnetic switch.

We got back yesterday from our 5 day second outing to Mt. Pleasant SC KOA (nice campground). I'm glad to report everything worked perfect, especially in the 90+ degree weather. Sure glad I got two AC units.

I'm very pleased with our purchase and understand issues will occur. I see in the forums and other reports the control boards on the new water heaters seemed to be an issue. I wish there would be some sort of recall process if they suspected a bad batch of control boards and recommend replacements. I did send Airstream Headquarters an email of my concerns - no response.

Again - I can't thank Southland RV enough for their quick response to the issues, definitely recommend them. Can't wait for our next outing.

AirstreamInc 09-04-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2151328)
We were excited about our first trip after a very thorough check-out of the trailer. As I sad before we elected Top of Georgia because of the proximity to us and the wonderful people there.

After a short 1.5 hour drive we arrived at Top of Georgia with no issues. Everything worked great on the first day, then things went downhill fast. When we were in the pre-purchase phase I was adamant about NOT wanting an electric awning after reading all the horror stories online. Airstream elected to make the new 2019 models mandatory with automatic electric awnings (bad decision in my opinion) so we were stuck. As luck would have it, it broke on the very first trip. I extended it, closed it when we left for the day and then attempted to open the next day - no luck. The status display panel was showing it was still open even though it appeared closed. I followed the instructions to attempt to correct, no luck. Called Zip Dee directly - couldn't help and said it needed to go back to the dealer. Added to the list of repair items.

First night we had hot water with no problem. 2nd day we were running the hot water and noticed it was warm, not hot. Eventually after draining the tank of the hot water, there was none. Tank was filling but not heating. Tried everything, electric, propane, both. Nothing

One of the cabinet lights over the table in the front would not turn off when the door was closed - they are magnetic switches. Called Airstream to see if there was a way to control those lights other than magnetic switch - no there isn't. Airstream advised cutting the wire so battery would not drain.

I have to admit I was a little concerned about the quality of my new trailer. Called the dealer (Southland RV - Atlanta) where we bought it on the drive back and asked if I could bring it in on Saturday. We had already planned a family event in Charleston, SC the following Wednesday so I wanted at least some hot water. Southland RV Service was fantastic.
They were able to fix everything in time for me to pick it up on Tuesday and also added an EZ Start on one of the AC units.

Awning - they were own the phone with Zip Dee for hours with no luck. They found some wiring issues and ended up extending manually and retracted it to get the system to obtain the correct status.

We got back yesterday from our 5 day second outing to Mt. Pleasant SC KOA (nice campground). I'm glad to report everything worked perfect, especially in the 90+ degree weather. Sure glad I got two AC units.

I'm very pleased with our purchase and understand issues will occur. I see in the forums and other reports the control boards on the new water heaters seemed to be an issue. I wish there would be some sort of recall process if they suspected a bad batch of control boards and recommend replacements. I did send Airstream Headquarters an email of my concerns - no response.

Again - I can't thank Southland RV enough for their quick response to the issues, definitely recommend them. Can't wait for our next outing.

Hi garypilot55,

Congratulations on your new Airstream! We're very sorry to learn about the issues you were having but we are very happy to hear that you were taken care of by Southland RV. Please don't ever hesitate to contact us if need any assistance.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.

gene3 11-29-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2151328)

Hi Gary,
My wife and I are expecting to get our 2019 GT in late January. We are trading in our 2017 International 27FBQ. We live in San Diego and are using the dealer (Airstream, inland empire) who we bought the international from.

I wanted to find out if you have some advice on the best way to conduct the walkthrough once the GT gets to our dealer. In particular anything you learned after your walkthrough that we should be doing/checking during our walkthrough. In know that with my International I should have paid more attention to the fit and finish in the galley area.

Have you had any trouble with drawer alignment when you open or close them?

Thanks,
Gene

nryn 11-29-2018 01:23 PM

@garypilot55 I have an F-250 as well and my 2019 Globetrotter will be delivered to my dealer sometime in the next few weeks. Could you share some details on your hitch setup?

Thanks!

brick1 11-29-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nryn (Post 2184809)
@garypilot55 I have an F-250 as well and my 2019 Globetrotter will be delivered to my dealer sometime in the next few weeks. Could you share some details on your hitch setup?

Thanks!

I have a 2018 F250 diesel towing my 28 Serenity with a Fastway E4 weight distributing/sway control hitch. You will need a 6 inch drop to level the trailer, 2.5 inch shank (so you donít have to use the 2.0 inch reducer and an 18 inch vs 12 inch extended shank so the truck tailgate can drop without hitting the jack stand. I use 6 washers, which results in one inch drop in the rear, and no rise at the front wheels.
Tows like a dream...
brick

garypilot55 12-14-2018 05:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nryn (Post 2184809)

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I have the Equalizer Hitch and have no issues other than I'm unable to open the tailgate when it's hitched up. I think if I turn the jack assembly 90 degrees on the trailer their would be enough clearance to lower the tailgate. I haven't found a good source to see how to do that. Dealer installed it and set everything up. It's level and tows great. Here are a couple pictures.

garypilot55 12-14-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gene3 (Post 2184715)
Hi Gary,
My wife and I are expecting to get our 2019 GT in late January. We are trading in our 2017 International 27FBQ. We live in San Diego and are using the dealer (Airstream, inland empire) who we bought the international from.

I wanted to find out if you have some advice on the best way to conduct the walkthrough once the GT gets to our dealer. In particular anything you learned after your walkthrough that we should be doing/checking during our walkthrough. In know that with my International I should have paid more attention to the fit and finish in the galley area.

Thanks,
Gene

Hello Gene - it would be a typical walk through with a new trailer. So far we have been on about 6 trips with our trailer and everything has been great after the first trip. Minor issues here and there but nothing major. So far all the drawers have worked okay. The bottom drawer below the sink tends to open sometimes when towing. The attention to detail is okay. If you look at other forums you can see people commenting about their experiences and comments on the new trailer. One thing that sort of bugs me is the alignment of the overhead cabinet doors when closed. They don't seal very well and you see a slight gap like they are warped. Light goes off so it's a non issue but just looks uneven.

Last couple trips I have experienced the awning not closing on the 1st try (again I hate the electronic awning and mandatory option to have it). It will close and when it's about 6-12 inches to the trailer stop completely. I have to re-open and close it again. It may take 1-2 times to get it closed. I'd cycle through opening and closing the awning a couple times at the dealer.

We are headed to Florida next week and then on a 10 day trip to Texas in January, our longest.

Hope this helps.

HHPJ 12-14-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gene3 (Post 2184715)
Hi Gary,

Thanks,
Gene

My advice is to spend the night at the dealership, working and using everything over and over again.

brick1 12-14-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2189945)
Sorry for the late reply. I have the Equalizer Hitch and have no issues other than I'm unable to open the tailgate when it's hitched up. I think if I turn the jack assembly 90 degrees on the trailer their would be enough clearance to lower the tailgate. I haven't found a good source to see how to do that. Dealer installed it and set everything up. It's level and tows great. Here are a couple pictures.

Gary - I had the same issue with the tailgate hitting the jack stand. I replaced the shank with a 2.5 inch ( to eliminate the 2.5 - 2.0 reducer) and 18 inch extension. Lift gate clears. New shank came from Mikes Trailer Hitch, just south of ATL in Riverdale. They even bolted it up for me.
brick

nryn 12-14-2018 07:21 AM

@garyóthank you. Iíve been leaning towards the Equalizer in the interest of keeping things simple, even though the ProPride is on my order sheet.

@brickóthatís awesome advice. Getting the liftgate open is essential for us. Iíll bring this to my dealer on Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brick1 (Post 2189982)
Gary - I had the same issue with the tailgate hitting the jack stand. I replaced the shank with a 2.5 inch ( to eliminate the 2.5 - 2.0 reducer) and 18 inch extension. Lift gate clears. New shank came from Mikes Trailer Hitch, just south of ATL in Riverdale. They even bolted it up for me.

brick

brick1 12-14-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nryn (Post 2189984)
@garyóthank you. Iíve been leaning towards the Equalizer in the interest of keeping things simple, even though the ProPride is on my order sheet.

@brickóthatís awesome advice. Getting the liftgate open is essential for us. Iíll bring this to my dealer on Monday.

It was not easy to find a 2.5 inch shank, 6 inch drop with 18 inch (15 inch to pin hole) length.
brick

WaLee 12-14-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nryn (Post 2189984)

Once you get the hang of the Propride itís really an easy hitch. To me it is worth the expense.

DMT 12-14-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2189945)

Loosen the set screws and rotate the head unit 90 degrees. Thatís what most people do when faced with that problem. Itís what I did. There is no need to unbolt and rotate the entire jack assembly. Simple, and takes less than five minutes.

Don

subfan1 12-15-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garypilot55 (Post 2189952)
Hello Gene - it would be a typical walk through with a new trailer. So far we have been on about 6 trips with our trailer and everything has been great after the first trip. Minor issues here and there but nothing major. So far all the drawers have worked okay. The bottom drawer below the sink tends to open sometimes when towing. The attention to detail is okay. If you look at other forums you can see people commenting about their experiences and comments on the new trailer. One thing that sort of bugs me is the alignment of the overhead cabinet doors when closed. They don't seal very well and you see a slight gap like they are warped. Light goes off so it's a non issue but just looks uneven.

Last couple trips I have experienced the awning not closing on the 1st try (again I hate the electronic awning and mandatory option to have it). It will close and when it's about 6-12 inches to the trailer stop completely. I have to re-open and close it again. It may take 1-2 times to get it closed. I'd cycle through opening and closing the awning a couple times at the dealer.

We are headed to Florida next week and then on a 10 day trip to Texas in January, our longest.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the electric awning. Ours did the same thing and I searched here and then confirmed in the awnings owners manual; whenever power is removed from the control panel ie: turn power switch off, you must press the ďcloseĒ button before opening the awning.
Apparently the control electronics are not very smart. I tried this on our unit with success.

Lhenry83 02-19-2019 09:15 PM

Just picked up my 2019 ďGlobetrotter- 27FBĒ and pull it with my F350 6.7 Diesel. I went ahead and purchased the Equalizer e4 hitch w/sway bar.

davedream208 03-05-2019 02:32 PM

Reese Hitch

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLDINS (Post 2066846)
I am still shopping.

Now looking at the Reese Steady-Flex, liking what I am seeing but need to read some reviews by experienced owners.

We have the Reese Steady-Flex on a Ford F-250 pulling a 2018 Globetrotter. Love all three!

Lhenry83 03-06-2019 07:38 AM

Gary,
CONGRATS on your Globetrotter purchase. We purchased our 2019 GLOBETROTTER 27FB on 14 February, yes Valentines Day. I have a Ford F-350 ďPowerstroke DieselĒ. This is way more truck then necessary to pull our 27FB. I like having the additional cargo space capability and that is why I put a Tonneau Cover (Retrax-MX) on the truck bed. When deciding on your truck / prime mover you have to consider the ďnumbersĒ I.e. tongue weight, cargo capacity, etc. I know several people who pull their AS with a F-150 but I would say F-250 is a our best bet. Donít forget you can buy a used F-250 at a pretty reasonable price. Hope that helps.

StreamingEagle 03-06-2019 09:25 AM

Can we all agree to tow with what you are comfortable with?

My dealer tried to pressure me to abandon my BlueOx Sway Pro that I had already towed my International 25FB with for over 20K miles beautifully to move to a ProPride. I ended up standing my ground and I told him that I wanted to stay with the BlueOx with my 2019 Globetrotter 27' at least to start with to see if I felt any differences.

After putting my first 3K miles on the Globetrotter with my current setup, I'm pretty happy still.

I agree with whoever was staying earlier to /know your numbers/ ... that is the key. Understand what you are looking at for tongue weight, total weight, cargo weight in your vehicle, etc.... I also highly recommend getting your rig weighed when you are loaded up with what you generally haul. That will give you the /most/ realistic numbers.

**Also, go to the CAT scales when they aren't busy and weight yourself unhitched (it's in the Airstream manual as to how to position yourself on the scale to do this). **

SilvaStreama 03-11-2019 07:15 PM

Hi! I have on order a 2019 Globetrotter. I don't have my exact date yet, but I am very excited. I have a few questions. I will be towing with a 2018 Ford Raptor. It already has the tow package installed with the braking system. This truck was my dealerships entry in the SEMA show in 2018 so it has all sorts of upgrades in cooling, breaking, suspension, and I don't even know what else. I did stop by the shop last week and showed him the specs on the 25' model and I am all clear for the vehicles capability. I am looking into the Andersen weight distribution/sway control system. Anyone have any experience with it? Did anyone choose to go with two AC units and why? Thank you!

jeffmc306 03-11-2019 07:53 PM

Yes on two ACís (gets you 50A service too)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilvaStreama (Post 2218993)
Hi! I have on order a 2019 Globetrotter. I don't have my exact date yet, but I am very excited. I have a few questions. I will be towing with a 2018 Ford Raptor. It already has the tow package installed with the braking system. This truck was my dealerships entry in the SEMA show in 2018 so it has all sorts of upgrades in cooling, breaking, suspension, and I don't even know what else. I did stop by the shop last week and showed him the specs on the 25' model and I am all clear for the vehicles capability. I am looking into the Andersen weight distribution/sway control system. Anyone have any experience with it? Did anyone choose to go with two AC units and why? Thank you!

Hi SilvaStreama, congrats on your new GT and Raptor - thatís going to be an awesome combination! Pictures required once you get them together :-)

Weíve also got a 27í GT on order, due end of March and went with dual ACís for these reasons:
- backup in case one fails
- Extra capacity when camping in Southwest
- another heat pump if you want to save propane
- 50 Amp service capacity which has no downside other than a larger cord
- Better resale as the unit will be more desirable for hot climate campers

Downside? You lose the 30A connection on the front of the trailer to connect a generator (have to use the side connection) plus the additional cost. BUT, it will cost more if you decide to add it later.

We also have a Blue Ox Sway Pro so canít speak to the Anderson system. Iím sure others can contribute about itís benefits.

Happy camping!
-j

NoResults 03-11-2019 10:41 PM

I am using the Equal-i-zer hitch that I had with my 23' just upgraded the head unit and 1200 lb bars.

Tows just fine with F150 3.5 . Took first trip of over 3000 miles and 7,000 ft passes no problems.

See no need to weigh it. Not much in front that weighs anything.

So far great trailer with no problems. Dave

twbucksr 03-12-2019 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all I have the Andersen W/D-S/C System. 10,000 lbs of capacity. I towed my 2015 22FB (4040 lbs loaded) with a Honda Ridgeline with it for a year after towing it without the first year. Big difference. Much more comfortable towing experience.

When we purchased our 2018 27FBQ FC (6280 lbs loaded) and a GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L w/ Max Tow to pull it, I was able to use the Andersen system I already had. Easy to set up and adjust by yourself at your local Cat Scale.

My caution to you is the following.....

The standard payload on your Raptor is 1200 lbs. Tongue weight on your 25í Globetrotter is 882 lbs. That leaves just 318 lbs for occupants and gear. You stated the dealership upgraded the suspension. I would get the specs on it in writing and not rely on the word of a vehicle technician. The Raptors my friends race have upgraded suspensions that are set up for off road racing. Not for towing an Airstream.

Attachment 335452

Stormalong 03-12-2019 07:24 PM

Tow vehicle decision is a tough one. After lots of research we went with Ram 2500 Cummins and couldn't be happier. Pulls the GT effortlessly, 15 mpg. Running empty it rides nicely and gets 21 mpg. Zero problems in 23k miles!