Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1947-1949 Liner (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   1948 LINER - A 70 Year Journey (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/1948-liner-a-70-year-journey-176336.html)

islandtrader 01-08-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRivet (Post 2197776)
Look what followed me home last night! I have my hands full with this 1948 project but I couldn’t pass it up. There is a 1963 Safari hiding under that patina. MsRivet calls it a “Hot Mess!”

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Attachment 331348

Only in FLA. will you find an AS with so much green chit on it...:lol:

Hittenstiehl 01-08-2019 08:45 AM

Yeah another save.

MrRivet 03-18-2019 07:47 PM

Back to work!!

3 Attachment(s)
After taking a break for the TCT 100th Winter Convention and making a trip to California for the Vintage Trailer Boot Camp I’ve been able to get back to the Liner. After much thought on the subject and having a bad experience with fiberglass insulation on our 2004 International, I decided to proceed with closed cell foam under the subfloor. Over the weekend I was able to complete the ends.

TouringDan 03-19-2019 08:39 PM

Nice job insulating the front area. I think that Rmax is one of the best materials to use for insulating this area.

Dan

MrRivet 03-20-2019 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dan! I agree about using RMax under the floor. I used it when I had to cut out the last 22” of the floor in our 04 international due to floor rot from the usual leak at the rear bumper. Attached is a picture of the only fiberglass insulation left in the belly pan outside of the frame rail. There was even less between the frame rail area. After seeing how poorly it performed I couldn’t force myself to ever put it back under the subfloor of any Airstream.

I also had another productive day today and was able to complete the final install of the fresh water tank.

dbj216 03-20-2019 07:39 PM

Hi Mr Rivet: Thanks for the information on RMax and your view of underfloor insulation. I have that job coming up pretty soon on my Overland and will seriously consider RMax.

It's fun to work on these old Airstreams.

David

MrRivet 04-24-2019 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Grey tank installation is complete and I have begun installing the belly pan. The weather in Florida has been great this past week. I hope to make some good progress before the summer rains begin.

Safe Travels!
Tim

Attachment 339020

Attachment 339021

Bubba L 04-24-2019 08:25 PM

Tim, the belly pan kerfs look great. Don’t know how the bottom shape of the Liner differs from the early fifties, but I would think none are fun. I had a heck of a time making the curves sweep smoothly into the bottom. Keep up the great work. Maybe someday I’ll see a Liner up close.

MrRivet 04-24-2019 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bubba! The front and rear 4’ on the liners are almost a wedge shape that takes a little work to get it right. On the original pipe frame, the belly pan stretched from side to side and the seams were buck riveted together. The original pipe frame did not have holding tanks. Since we are have built a new ladder style frame that accommodates holding tanks the main part of the belly pan will be assembled like a newer trailer with removable sections for future access for maintenance or repairs. Hopefully in our future travels our paths will cross and we can give you a close look at our Liner.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Attachment 339028

dbj216 04-25-2019 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear belly "banana wraps" on my old 66 Trade Wind were a bear for me. I used the originals at templates. I never did get them real good. I did eventually get the area covered and figured it won't show much.

I sure understand why Airstream went to plastic banana wraps in what, the late 70s. Our 86 has plastic wraps. My 75 Overlander has an aluminum formed wrap in front, and a flat piece in the rear. That is easier to cover than the 66.

Yours look good.

David

pierrew 05-06-2019 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRivet (Post 2221631)
After taking a break for the TCT 100th Winter Convention and making a trip to California for the Vintage Trailer Boot Camp I’ve been able to get back to the Liner. After much thought on the subject and having a bad experience with fiberglass insulation on our 2004 International, I decided to proceed with closed cell foam under the subfloor. Over the weekend I was able to complete the ends.

nice and beautiful job ! Congrats

pierrew 05-06-2019 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsRivet (Post 2057967)
The non-original galley has been removed ...

Attachment 302759

Looking like this Liner could be either a Chinook or a South Wind model.

Attachment 302760

First shiny new part installed! A door knob on the main entry door. MrRivet and I kept finding the door open. Problem solved.

I just made an order of that door lock at Vintage Trailer Supply. Hope I will be able to adapt it easily on my 1948 Liner. Is it easy to do ?

MrRivet 05-06-2019 05:51 PM

The door knob/latch set from Vintage Trailer Supply was a good replacement for the set that came on our Liner. It is an uncomplicated installation. What you will need to be aware of is that when the inner and outside components are screwed together they will compress the skins. You may need to fabricate an inner support to keep this from happening. I have seen posts on other threads on the forum where blocks of wood or metal have been fabricated and placed inside of of the door to provide the support needed to prevent this from occurring. Good luck with your installation!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

MrRivet 05-06-2019 06:04 PM

Thanks David!
When I started forming this panel I tried to make the kerf cut spacing similar to the original but soon found out the cut spacing was way too far apart for me to make a satisfactory edge on the transition over the edge. The original had spacing of roughly 8”. After fighting it for a few hours I reduced the distance to 4” between cuts and it made a huge difference with making the compound bends on the panel.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

pierrew 05-07-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRivet (Post 2238761)
The door knob/latch set from Vintage Trailer Supply was a good replacement for the set that came on our Liner. It is an uncomplicated installation. What you will need to be aware of is that when the inner and outside components are screwed together they will compress the skins. You may need to fabricate an inner support to keep this from happening. I have seen posts on other threads on the forum where blocks of wood or metal have been fabricated and placed inside of of the door to provide the support needed to prevent this from occurring. Good luck with your installation!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Many thanks Tim. I'll be aware of your advice.

MrRivet 05-21-2019 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Slow progress over the last few weeks but I did complete the insulation under the subfloor. This clears the way for the remaining belly pan to be installed. 1 1/2” of R-Max foam with an air gap between the insulation and the subfloor. I also sloped the installation on the outer edges to allow any water that might find its way there to drain away.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Attachment 341291

dbj216 05-21-2019 07:17 PM

Wow, your Liner looks so different than the stuff I've worked on. The "pipe" style frame with no A supports in front. And the unique rounded shape of the body onto the frame. You're a Liner expert.

David

MrRivet 07-21-2019 07:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to squeeze in a little metal work time prior to departure on our 3 1/2 month Wild West trip this week. I was able to complete the caps that cover the outriggers that are located at the wheel wells. I wanted to give them a more finished look and eliminate traps for road dirt.

Attachment 347233

Attachment 347234

We will be traveling for the next 3 1/2 months in our 28 International so there will not be any updates till the fall. Some of our stops include the Fiddlers Picnic in Montana as well as the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally so maybe we will run into some of you there.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

MrRivet 12-08-2019 08:20 AM

I spent a couple of days this week trying to figure out where I had left off on the Liner when I walked away in July. We left for the summer on a 3 1/2 month trip out west and returned the first week of November. It took a month at home just to sort things out on our return. This week I’ve done a bit of head scratching and revisiting previous work that I had already completed just trying to get back on track. I hope to post some pictures of our progress soon. I’m anxious to get the belly pan metal work completed and get the Liner flipped back over on it’s wheels.

Safe Travels!!

islandtrader 12-09-2019 06:26 AM

I know the feeling...and what's even worse is that no matter how many pictures you take you never take enough. LOL