Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1947-1949 Liner (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   1948 LINER - A 70 Year Journey (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/1948-liner-a-70-year-journey-176336.html)

dbj216 01-13-2018 05:47 PM

Well, down the renovation road you go. It will be a long journey. Taking pictures, making notes of things needing repair or replaced are part of the dismantling process.

Interesting observation on the wood paneling in front. Maybe someone knows if it was original. I kinda doubt it as Airstream was building light and would be reluctant to add the weight of wood paneling. But I don't know.

If that tile floor is original, guard against asbestos dust if you plan on removing it.

David

MsRivet 01-14-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2055301)
Well, down the renovation road you go. It will be a long journey. Taking pictures, making notes of things needing repair or replaced are part of the dismantling process.

Interesting observation on the wood paneling in front. Maybe someone knows if it was original. I kinda doubt it as Airstream was building light and would be reluctant to add the weight of wood paneling. But I don't know.

If that tile floor is original, guard against asbestos dust if you plan on removing it.

David

Respirator and other necessities for that floor removal are on standby. The floor tiles in the rear are different and not original. Makes us now wonder if the front is even original. Either way precautions will be taken.

66Overlander 01-14-2018 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe it is possible that the window width cabinet/shelf under the front window may be original because you can see something similar in this early liner floor plan, but I will caution that Airstream offered 6 or 7 different Liner models and floor plans and would customize them further, so I am not suggesting you necessarily have the Globetrotter shown in the attached clip from the Airstream document archives. That said, this is more of a guess, because I am not well versed in the details of 1940's Airstreams.

I will also point out that paint lines on the paneling and dirt lines on the floor suggest that the Liner had benches on each side in front at one time, although if the floor tiles were replaced I cannot say if they were original or not. The straight fore-aft dirt lines suggest the benches were different than the angled benches in the Globetrotter clip below.

MsRivet 01-15-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Overlander (Post 2055460)
I believe it is possible that the window width cabinet/shelf under the front window may be original because you can see something similar in this early liner floor plan, but I will caution that Airstream offered 6 or 7 different Liner models and floor plans and would customize them further, so I am not suggesting you necessarily have the Globetrotter shown in the attached clip from the Airstream document archives. That said, this is more of a guess, because I am not well versed in the details of 1940's Airstreams.

I will also point out that paint lines on the paneling and dirt lines on the floor suggest that the Liner had benches on each side in front at one time, although if the floor tiles were replaced I cannot say if they were original or not. The straight fore-aft dirt lines suggest the benches were different than the angled benches in the Globetrotter clip below.

Good observation 66Overlander! Take a look back at my post #8 on this thread where you will see the makeshift dinette we just removed. We are guessing it was installed in the late 60’s? It was definitely not original to this coach. The dirt lines on the floor and paint on the paneling came from what we removed. At this point we do not believe it to be a Globe Trotter. Possibly a floor plan that had freestanding furniture. I think as we move forward in the demo she will reveal more clues as to what model we may have.

MsRivet 01-21-2018 09:03 AM

Galley Removal

2 Attachment(s)
The non-original galley has been removed ...

Attachment 302759

Looking like this Liner could be either a Chinook or a South Wind model.

Attachment 302760

First shiny new part installed! A door knob on the main entry door. MrRivet and I kept finding the door open. Problem solved.

MsRivet 01-27-2018 08:15 AM

Bathroom demo

6 Attachment(s)
The first photos are a reminder of what we started with:

Attachment 303072

Attachment 303074

Wall removal ...

Attachment 303081

Attachment 303075

Attachment 303078

Attachment 303079

There was an interesting fact discovered in the removal of the current non original bathroom. However we do know a few of the Liner models did in fact have a bathroom offered as an option. On the wall where this bathroom existed mounting holes were discovered where another overhead locker once hung. All of the mounting holes of the existing lockers were measured to see if one of the others had been moved from here and rehung. No! And none of the holes on the existing lockers match each other. So we now know that we are missing one overhead locker and that a bathroom was not original to this Liner.

We will not look for or duplicate another locker since a new bathroom will occupy that space. The plan is to put a functional bathroom in this Liner.

dbj216 01-27-2018 07:17 PM

Very interesting. This trailer was built the year I was born. We both need restored. A functional bathroom is a good thing.

David

MsRivet 01-28-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2060400)
Very interesting. This trailer was built the year I was born. We both need restored. A functional bathroom is a good thing.

David

David the following is a wonderful quote that I love ...

Relish love in our old age! Aged love is like aged wine; it becomes more satisfying, more refreshing, more valuable, more appreciated and more intoxicating!

I feel that this is not only true for wine but for us humans as we age and for our intoxicating Airstreams that continue to attract us and refresh our youthful minds.

Speaking of a functional bathroom MrRivet and I are leaning toward installing a Natures Head Composting Toilet in the Liner. We know it obviously wont be original but we feel in the long run it can extend our time off grid. This compost toilet will simplify things but may complicate things.

It seems like a few years ago as we began thinking about a compost toilet its popularity was not as it is today. We feel that the idea itself is becoming more popular. I know sacrilegious to most vintage die hards. Any thoughts out there on installing a compost toilet in a vintage trailer?

I hope you continue to follow our journey as we are hoping progress will begin to hit high gear soon!

Bubba L 01-28-2018 07:04 AM

We too plan on a composting toilet in our 55. We doubled the grey water tanks connected. They can be drained with a macerater pump or gravity dump. Nature’s Head seems to be the most popular, but don’t know the most functional yet. That won’t go in until later this year, so we’ll research the most functional at the time. My intent is to have the 55 look identical as it looked originally, inside and out. It will be modernized, but behind cabinets. Diehard or not, functionality and comfort are what we’re looking for. Good luck. Bubba

TouringDan 01-28-2018 09:23 AM

We were going to install a composting toilet in our Tradewind but it did not fit well with the toilet console design. We ended up with a Thetford Curve porta potty and are quite happy with it. No black water tank, only $125 and it weighs less than 10 lbs.

Dan

MsRivet 01-28-2018 03:40 PM

Good Ideas ...

Bubba L
We think alike! Double greys here too and a single fresh. Still finalizing what those tank sizes will be as a new frame is in the near future and decisions need to be made soon. Our constant research will continue until the day we order the throne. You never know what new technology or model will show up by years end. Next month we will attend a vintage all brands convention here in Florida. Hoping to have just over 100 rigs attending. This will be one of the items we will look out for during open house. We are also watching what is being put in new coaches like the Bowles Road Chief and other brands. Best to you as well!

TouringDan
We have looked at that Thetford Curve. It still could be a contender. Good to hear that it is working for you. Price, availability, weight, size and being a little more stylish keeps it in the running. Either way we do not plan on having a black tank. Compost, porta potti or cassette? Time will tell.

dbj216 01-28-2018 07:20 PM

Hi Ms Rivet: I'm not too sure I buy the wine to human comparison. Like your 48 Liner, I do need some reconstruction from time to time. Just yesterday we retirees were talking about all the wonderful advances in modern medicine that has added many happy years to retirement. Things like new hips and knees, heart surgery, cataract lense replacements, and on and on. It makes our retirements years very enjoyable. If I just sat and fermented like a bottle of wine, I'd be in trouble by now. I guess I'm just too pragmatic, and rather boring.

Many old Airstreams have above floor black tanks with low profile flush toilets. This system is more traditional and functional. Just last year I replaced the above floor black tank in the son's 69 Globetrotter. It is only 12 gallons but works good enough. This idea keeps the belly profile the same.

David

MsRivet 01-31-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2060756)

Many old Airstreams have above floor black tanks with low profile flush toilets. This system is more traditional and functional. Just last year I replaced the above floor black tank in the son's 69 Globetrotter. It is only 12 gallons but works good enough. This idea keeps the belly profile the same.

David

An above floor black tank is not out of the question. At least we can always add it later if we change our minds along the way. The size of the fresh and grey water tanks are our challenge now. Of course, as you mention, keeping the belly pan profile in check is a concern with all the details of building the frame coming up.

dbj216 01-31-2018 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the black tank (literally) that we put in the Globetrotter. It has a tiny corner "wet" bath. It does not have a gray tank. I used a exact replacement to the black tank that came in the trailer as the fiberglass cabinet for the tank defined the dimensions. You might be able to fabricate the kind of "toilet pedestal" you want to fit the tank you select.

I like to suggest Inca Plastics as a source for your fresh, gray and black tanks to the dimensions you want. Inca Plastics in California has been rotomolding RV tanks for over 50 years. I purchased tanks from them for my Trade Wind and just recently for my Overlander. They have a big, fat catalog online where you can thumb through it until you find a tank configuration you want. They even have an Airstream section.

I might add that my Trade Wind fresh water tank was behind the gaucho in front, above the subfloor. Above floor fresh water tanks are not unusual in vintage Airstreams and can be hidden.

Lots of planning involved in tank selection; from the frame bay, toilet location, gray water drain routings, and how the heck to drain the tanks. Big project, but so is your whole Liner.

Good plans make good results. Don't ask me how many times my plans were inadequate.

David

MsRivet 02-10-2018 06:08 PM

Nice work David!

We’ve been watching and taking notes.

MsRivet 02-10-2018 06:59 PM

Road trip ...

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 303909

After almost three years of searching for a complete galley for the Liner I came across just a range and an appropriate ice box. Since this was the best that we had found so far we had to go get them. However it required a road trip from central Florida to Texas. So we hitched up the International, loaded the dogs and off we went. Our lovely hosts allowed us a courtesy parking spot on their property.

Attachment 303903

Attachment 303904

Neither San Antonio nor New Braunfels had ever been on our list of places to go. We went and managed to spend extra time there and had a blast exploring the area. Our activities included concerts, a festival and visiting a few missions. We were welcomed with open arms by everyone. One Airstream couple who sold us the goods and another Airstream couple that hosted a lovely dinner for us all.

Attachment 303908

Our cargo was safely bundled for the long ride home.

Long story short we figured out that we had met both couples six years ago at the Airstream factory in Ohio. Not kidding! We gathered so much valuable information from them all and we now have an additional source for questions in the future and throughout our restoration. We also now have a base blueprint for a frame and build pictures from one of their recent restorations of a 1948 Liner. Life is good!

Bad news ... it sure was an expensive trip just to go get those appliances. Now a galley cabinet will need to be built and appliances restored. Good news ... the appliances fit and we have new friends for life! Priceless.

Attachment 303905

In other news the wardrobe and dresser have since been removed from the Liner. These items will be safely stored for clean up and refinishing at a later date.

Attachment 303906

Attachment 303907

dbj216 02-10-2018 07:38 PM

Hi Ms Rivet: What a coincidence you met up with Airstreamers you met years ago in Jackson Center. A great story. Your International looks great under the Texas trees.

You found some more period correct items for the 70 year old Liner. More work restoring those items. Your project is way bigger than mine.

David

MsRivet 02-18-2018 07:11 AM

Front interior removal

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 304457

MrRivet began the careful removal of the front panel until he realized it was not original. Then it became another demo session. Some of the trim even had finish nails driven through the wood into the aluminum panel.

Attachment 304458

Attachment 304460

Findings:

Several layers of non-original paint laid behind the paneling. Old rivet holes showing a much deeper front storage area or actually where the original chest of drawers sat under the front window. Prior to removing the paneling we believed we had either a Chinook or a South Wind model. Now we are definitely leaning toward the South Wind!

Attachment 304459

Attachment 304461

We have a busy week ahead. Not working on the Liner but getting our ‘04 Airstream ready for a vintage rally that takes place next weekend nearby here in Central Florida. This rally will have over 150 vintage rigs of all brands present. There is always opportunity to gain more knowledge, see old friends and meet new people at this event.

PM us if anyone will be attending. We’d love to meet you!

dbj216 02-18-2018 05:57 PM

It's fun to see how these old Airstreams were built way back when. I'll bet it was a South Wind interior also. Even my old 75 Overlander is interesting in the way it was built. And it is less than half as old as your Liner.

Wish I was going to the vintage rally. Someday I will.

David

MsRivet 02-20-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2067930)
It's fun to see how these old Airstreams were built way back when. I'll bet it was a South Wind interior also. Even my old 75 Overlander is interesting in the way it was built. And it is less than half as old as your Liner.

Wish I was going to the vintage rally. Someday I will.

David

DAVID!!!!

There is still time!!! We depart today. MrRivet and I are going early. Starts on Thursday.

Guess there’s alway next year. It wil be a Centennial celebration and a possible goal on completion of the ‘48 Liner. Uhhh ohhhh did I just say GOAL. Guess we can always show up next year and use it as an aluminum tent with a blow-up mattress! Lol