Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1947-1949 Liner (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   1948 LINER - A 70 Year Journey (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60/1948-liner-a-70-year-journey-176336.html)

MsRivet 01-01-2018 08:50 AM

1948 LINER - A 70 Year Journey

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 301670

It began many years ago the dream of owning an Airstream but not any Airstream ... a Liner. At first we knew we would need to travel many miles from Central Florida to retrieve one. After much searching it showed up right under our noses, three years ago, just as I had jokingly said one day.

Attachment 301671

Moving forward to current day we finally began working on her this past November. MrRivet retired in 2017, ten years earlier than most, so now thereís just a little more time available. She is a hot mess but sheís our hot mess. Even if we found one in better condition we would still need to do the same amount of work. Meaning shell off, new frame. Everyone knows what a mess one can find with a pipe frame.

Attachment 301672

Iíll begin posts to this thread to get everyone updated to our current point in this restoration. MrRivet will chime in as needed to better explain processes, techniques or to answer specific questions. We will need help along the way as well and will throw questions and ideas out there to the Forums for answers.

Attachment 301674
Picture from of repair of 2004 International

This will be our first rodeo! Sort of? Our other Airstream, a 2004 28í International, that weíve had 10 1/2 years needed the last 22Ē of floor replaced due to a rear bumper leak with floor rot. MrRivet did that with the help of his assistant. Itís now better than new. That may or may not qualify us for a shell off but you have to start somewhere.

Attachment 301673

From the pictures you will be left scratching your head as to why previous owners did what they did. Well we are scratching our heads, asking the same questions and will do whatís necessary to make it right again. Anything to get another vintage coach back on the road. By the way she is turning SEVENTY this month!

Attachment 301677

At the same time we purchased this 1948 Liner MrRivet acquired his Grandpa Elmerís 1961 Chevy Apache Pick-up. So as you see it needs work too! We do indeed have a very full plate. Since we plan to use Elmerís truck, named Elmer, to tow the 1948 Liner locally we feel it only appropriate to name the Liner, Vergie, after Grandma. Elmer and Vergie would be so honored.

Attachment 301675

We ARE rebuilding this trailer.
There will be many new skills and patience to acquire.
We are TheRivets and together we begin this journey!

Bubba L 01-01-2018 09:24 AM

Congrats and a really neat trailer. The 40s Airstreams are hard to beat. Now the fun begins. Good luck, have fun and see you down the road in your Liner. Bubba

MsRivet 01-01-2018 12:37 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2050501)
Congrats and a really neat trailer. The 40s Airstreams are hard to beat. Now the fun begins. Good luck, have fun and see you down the road in your Liner. Bubba

Thanks so much Bubba!

No kidding ... the fun has already begun! She is telling us her story as we are discovering a few interesting things along the way.

I'll be posting interior pictures soon!

Someday'59 01-01-2018 02:34 PM

Greetings!

Happy 70th Birthday, 1948 Liner!
We're looking forward to watching your next adventure unfold!

Happy New Year, Mr&MsRivets!

TouringDan 01-02-2018 08:12 PM

I have a soft spot for Liners. My congratulations to you both. I would like to join your party and follow along.

Dan

MrRivet 01-03-2018 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 301806Sometime in her life she received a Volkswagen Bumper from a 54-67 bug. Someone spent a lot of time constructing it from a couple of bumpers.

MsRivet 01-03-2018 07:33 PM

Liners Rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringDan (Post 2051088)
I have a soft spot for Liners. My congratulations to you both. I would like to join your party and follow along.

Dan

TouringDan - I am so glad that you are joining our party and following along. This will be an amazing journey for us. It may get bumpy at times but we are still in it and up for the challenge.

MsRivet 01-06-2018 08:53 AM

Interior pictures

8 Attachment(s)
As promised here are some interior pictures of our 1948 Liner Serial #1120. Iíll say that this is hands down the worst, most disgusting, deplorable trailer that I have ever been in.

Attachment 301938

Attachment 301939

Most of the ten layers of paint are coming off here and there. In the rear near the bathroom the paint is dangling like melting ice cream. Some family and friends wonít go in or can barely stick their heads in the door. The smell. Letís not even go there. Need a respirator for sure!

Attachment 301940

Attachment 301941

Attachment 301942

Byam hooks. Yes!!!
Three lockers intact.
Wardrobe present but top modified. (head scratching) Rear bed platform is good. Mattress disgusting. Bathroom reminder: Donít touch anything. Dinette. Wow! What can I say? (more head scratching) Galley replaced with apartment appliances. Much sadness.

Attachment 301945

Attachment 301944

Attachment 301943

I keep focusing on what I visualize as her final shiny self and the glory of what she will become then I can move on. So much work is ahead of us.

Bubba L 01-06-2018 09:38 AM

We love the photos. I look forward to the deconstruction phase as much as the reconstruction phase. Wait, I guess I like it all. In removing items, I enjoy trying to figure out why Airstream or a previous owner did the things they did. In removing, I took a lot of close pictures and flagged/bagged everything. Even the steel screws. Using the old worn out bulkheads and cabinet pieces were valuable for templates. Here on the forums there are a hundred suggestions to accomplish one task. I guess it comes down to research and what makes you comfortable. In rebuilding ours, iím just hoping Iíll give a better product to the next owner than what I received. Good luck, have fun and donít throw anything away until the end. Bubba

MsRivet 01-06-2018 04:13 PM

Great Analogy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2052380)
We love the photos. I look forward to the deconstruction phase as much as the reconstruction phase. Wait, I guess I like it all. In removing items, I enjoy trying to figure out why Airstream or a previous owner did the things they did. In removing, I took a lot of close pictures and flagged/bagged everything. Even the steel screws. Using the old worn out bulkheads and cabinet pieces were valuable for templates. Here on the forums there are a hundred suggestions to accomplish one task. I guess it comes down to research and what makes you comfortable. In rebuilding ours, iím just hoping Iíll give a better product to the next owner than what I received. Good luck, have fun and donít throw anything away until the end. Bubba

I like that thought process! Itís responses like yours, Bubba, and from our many vintage friends that get us to the next step. We have taken many pictures of course. However we have done away with a few things but not if it was original to this coach. Those should be obvious from the pictures. Original items will be bagged and tagged. We will definitely have a better product than when we received her. Our brains hurt from the research that continues. Many titles come across for if itís a renovation or a restoration. I hate to use anotherís thread title but I feel it safe to say this will be a resurrection. Itís a bit more than a renovation. We donít feel a restoration will be appropriate because we will re-install the bathroom that was not original even though it could have had one. Plus a few other items to modernize it for current day use.

Stay tuned for some demo!

Meeks 01-06-2018 07:24 PM

"I keep focusing on what I visualize as her final shiny self and the glory of what she will become then I can move on."

As in any big project what you wrote above is wise indeed! There will never be another trailer that has your heart like this one will!

Thanks for posting!

Chris

goransons 01-06-2018 10:08 PM

Cool project! I'll look forward to following your progress!

MsRivet 01-07-2018 06:04 AM

Cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 2052628)
Cool project! I'll look forward to following your progress!

Funny! MrRivet and I have been following your thread from the get-go. I just replied to your frig post. Lol Before I saw this. I was so excited to see the pictures!

It sure takes an Army to get one of these back into shape as we are finding out. Getting our galley pieced together has been a challenge for sure. More details on that soon.

We are so encouraged by the work you have accomplished and know there is hope for us. You have one one of the most super amazing Airstreams ever. And to have the luck of all the pictures from when WB had it. A luxury we donít have.

Best of luck! Canít wait for the finished product!!!

MsRivet 01-07-2018 12:29 PM

More progress coming!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meeks (Post 2052600)
"I keep focusing on what I visualize as her final shiny self and the glory of what she will become then I can move on."

As in any big project what you wrote above is wise indeed! There will never be another trailer that has your heart like this one will!

Thanks for posting!

Chris

So true Meeks! This Liner is our baby. I can't see ever parting with her. These Airstreams are just like potato chips and tattoos Ö you can't just have one. Even though we haven't come close to finishing this one (barely started) I see another in the future. Mid 50's I'm guessing! Hopefully MrRivet doesn't run off after seeing this post. The fleet will grow.

Aerowood 01-07-2018 02:24 PM

Nice find, I would love to get my hands on one

MsRivet 01-07-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerowood (Post 2052917)
Nice find, I would love to get my hands on one

Thanks Aerowood! I still pinch myself. On rainy days I love sneaking a peak of her through the mini blinds in the side yard. Yup Ö there's a 1948 Airstream Liner in my yard! Cool evenings are nice too Ö MrRivet and I go out to visit her with a few cold ones. Just to dream and figure out the next step.

rmkrum 01-07-2018 05:57 PM

Wonderful terminal case of aluminiumitis!

Iíd be every bit as proud...

dbj216 01-07-2018 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi MsRivet: I enjoy the vintage Airstream hobby and will subscribe to your Liner thread. These are the days when Airstream did build trailers light and balanced. I'm sure I will learn something new.

I was following submariner's 48 Liner resurrection thread. I haven't seen anything lately. As they say, life happens, project on hold.

We were in Jackson Center a few years ago for some body repairs. We loved looking at the vintage Airstreams displayed in the parking lot. This Liner sure caught our attention.

David

MsRivet 01-08-2018 07:06 PM

rmkrum
Seriously?! Aluminiumitis? A disease. There's a disease? I knew I hadn't been feeling well. Must have caught it while at The Mothership.

dbj216
Our Liner, as she came out of the hanger, was about 1,800 pounds. Light indeed. Rough guess when complete she should be around 3,000 pounds. The addition of a redesigned frame, holding tanks, water weight, new electrical and plumbing systems and the addition of a bathroom will all add up. We are learning and discovering as we go! Our goal will be to stay a step or two ahead of the materials needed to be ready for the next phase of construction.

I wish we knew what happened to the 1948 RESURRECTION LINER/THREAD as well. We were so watching and waiting with anticipation everyday for updates. He was one of our first major follows for inspiration to start on this Liner. How did he finish the interior? That thread will still remain a great reference for us.

I LOVE those trailers at The Mothership in Jackson Center too. I always get scolded every visit there by MrRivet about running factory. Maybe thats how I caught something?!

MsRivet 01-13-2018 01:36 PM

Demo Phase #1

9 Attachment(s)
Dinette removal. Behind the dinette is paneling. Not sure if itís original. Probably not but we were told a story that the original owner worked for Airstream. Another note ... the person who built the dinette more than likely did not install the paneling. The paneling is riveted in.

Attachment 302354

Attachment 302355

More good stuff ...

Attachment 302356

A previous owner CUT OUT/OFF the rear emblem. Gasp. Head scratching. Why?

Attachment 302351

Another section of that same panel is in really bad shape. This is one of a few panels that will be replaced.

Attachment 302352

Fortunately for us the original emblem was found inside the Liner. When we came across someone making a few reproductions we purchased one.

Attachment 302353

dbj216 01-13-2018 05:47 PM

Well, down the renovation road you go. It will be a long journey. Taking pictures, making notes of things needing repair or replaced are part of the dismantling process.

Interesting observation on the wood paneling in front. Maybe someone knows if it was original. I kinda doubt it as Airstream was building light and would be reluctant to add the weight of wood paneling. But I don't know.

If that tile floor is original, guard against asbestos dust if you plan on removing it.

David

MsRivet 01-14-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2055301)
Well, down the renovation road you go. It will be a long journey. Taking pictures, making notes of things needing repair or replaced are part of the dismantling process.

Interesting observation on the wood paneling in front. Maybe someone knows if it was original. I kinda doubt it as Airstream was building light and would be reluctant to add the weight of wood paneling. But I don't know.

If that tile floor is original, guard against asbestos dust if you plan on removing it.

David

Respirator and other necessities for that floor removal are on standby. The floor tiles in the rear are different and not original. Makes us now wonder if the front is even original. Either way precautions will be taken.

66Overlander 01-14-2018 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe it is possible that the window width cabinet/shelf under the front window may be original because you can see something similar in this early liner floor plan, but I will caution that Airstream offered 6 or 7 different Liner models and floor plans and would customize them further, so I am not suggesting you necessarily have the Globetrotter shown in the attached clip from the Airstream document archives. That said, this is more of a guess, because I am not well versed in the details of 1940's Airstreams.

I will also point out that paint lines on the paneling and dirt lines on the floor suggest that the Liner had benches on each side in front at one time, although if the floor tiles were replaced I cannot say if they were original or not. The straight fore-aft dirt lines suggest the benches were different than the angled benches in the Globetrotter clip below.

MsRivet 01-15-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Overlander (Post 2055460)
I believe it is possible that the window width cabinet/shelf under the front window may be original because you can see something similar in this early liner floor plan, but I will caution that Airstream offered 6 or 7 different Liner models and floor plans and would customize them further, so I am not suggesting you necessarily have the Globetrotter shown in the attached clip from the Airstream document archives. That said, this is more of a guess, because I am not well versed in the details of 1940's Airstreams.

I will also point out that paint lines on the paneling and dirt lines on the floor suggest that the Liner had benches on each side in front at one time, although if the floor tiles were replaced I cannot say if they were original or not. The straight fore-aft dirt lines suggest the benches were different than the angled benches in the Globetrotter clip below.

Good observation 66Overlander! Take a look back at my post #8 on this thread where you will see the makeshift dinette we just removed. We are guessing it was installed in the late 60ís? It was definitely not original to this coach. The dirt lines on the floor and paint on the paneling came from what we removed. At this point we do not believe it to be a Globe Trotter. Possibly a floor plan that had freestanding furniture. I think as we move forward in the demo she will reveal more clues as to what model we may have.

MsRivet 01-21-2018 09:03 AM

Galley Removal

2 Attachment(s)
The non-original galley has been removed ...

Attachment 302759

Looking like this Liner could be either a Chinook or a South Wind model.

Attachment 302760

First shiny new part installed! A door knob on the main entry door. MrRivet and I kept finding the door open. Problem solved.

MsRivet 01-27-2018 08:15 AM

Bathroom demo

6 Attachment(s)
The first photos are a reminder of what we started with:

Attachment 303072

Attachment 303074

Wall removal ...

Attachment 303081

Attachment 303075

Attachment 303078

Attachment 303079

There was an interesting fact discovered in the removal of the current non original bathroom. However we do know a few of the Liner models did in fact have a bathroom offered as an option. On the wall where this bathroom existed mounting holes were discovered where another overhead locker once hung. All of the mounting holes of the existing lockers were measured to see if one of the others had been moved from here and rehung. No! And none of the holes on the existing lockers match each other. So we now know that we are missing one overhead locker and that a bathroom was not original to this Liner.

We will not look for or duplicate another locker since a new bathroom will occupy that space. The plan is to put a functional bathroom in this Liner.

dbj216 01-27-2018 07:17 PM

Very interesting. This trailer was built the year I was born. We both need restored. A functional bathroom is a good thing.

David

MsRivet 01-28-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2060400)
Very interesting. This trailer was built the year I was born. We both need restored. A functional bathroom is a good thing.

David

David the following is a wonderful quote that I love ...

Relish love in our old age! Aged love is like aged wine; it becomes more satisfying, more refreshing, more valuable, more appreciated and more intoxicating!

I feel that this is not only true for wine but for us humans as we age and for our intoxicating Airstreams that continue to attract us and refresh our youthful minds.

Speaking of a functional bathroom MrRivet and I are leaning toward installing a Natures Head Composting Toilet in the Liner. We know it obviously wont be original but we feel in the long run it can extend our time off grid. This compost toilet will simplify things but may complicate things.

It seems like a few years ago as we began thinking about a compost toilet its popularity was not as it is today. We feel that the idea itself is becoming more popular. I know sacrilegious to most vintage die hards. Any thoughts out there on installing a compost toilet in a vintage trailer?

I hope you continue to follow our journey as we are hoping progress will begin to hit high gear soon!

Bubba L 01-28-2018 07:04 AM

We too plan on a composting toilet in our 55. We doubled the grey water tanks connected. They can be drained with a macerater pump or gravity dump. Natureís Head seems to be the most popular, but donít know the most functional yet. That wonít go in until later this year, so weíll research the most functional at the time. My intent is to have the 55 look identical as it looked originally, inside and out. It will be modernized, but behind cabinets. Diehard or not, functionality and comfort are what weíre looking for. Good luck. Bubba

TouringDan 01-28-2018 09:23 AM

We were going to install a composting toilet in our Tradewind but it did not fit well with the toilet console design. We ended up with a Thetford Curve porta potty and are quite happy with it. No black water tank, only $125 and it weighs less than 10 lbs.

Dan

MsRivet 01-28-2018 03:40 PM

Good Ideas ...

Bubba L
We think alike! Double greys here too and a single fresh. Still finalizing what those tank sizes will be as a new frame is in the near future and decisions need to be made soon. Our constant research will continue until the day we order the throne. You never know what new technology or model will show up by years end. Next month we will attend a vintage all brands convention here in Florida. Hoping to have just over 100 rigs attending. This will be one of the items we will look out for during open house. We are also watching what is being put in new coaches like the Bowles Road Chief and other brands. Best to you as well!

TouringDan
We have looked at that Thetford Curve. It still could be a contender. Good to hear that it is working for you. Price, availability, weight, size and being a little more stylish keeps it in the running. Either way we do not plan on having a black tank. Compost, porta potti or cassette? Time will tell.

dbj216 01-28-2018 07:20 PM

Hi Ms Rivet: I'm not too sure I buy the wine to human comparison. Like your 48 Liner, I do need some reconstruction from time to time. Just yesterday we retirees were talking about all the wonderful advances in modern medicine that has added many happy years to retirement. Things like new hips and knees, heart surgery, cataract lense replacements, and on and on. It makes our retirements years very enjoyable. If I just sat and fermented like a bottle of wine, I'd be in trouble by now. I guess I'm just too pragmatic, and rather boring.

Many old Airstreams have above floor black tanks with low profile flush toilets. This system is more traditional and functional. Just last year I replaced the above floor black tank in the son's 69 Globetrotter. It is only 12 gallons but works good enough. This idea keeps the belly profile the same.

David

MsRivet 01-31-2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2060756)

Many old Airstreams have above floor black tanks with low profile flush toilets. This system is more traditional and functional. Just last year I replaced the above floor black tank in the son's 69 Globetrotter. It is only 12 gallons but works good enough. This idea keeps the belly profile the same.

David

An above floor black tank is not out of the question. At least we can always add it later if we change our minds along the way. The size of the fresh and grey water tanks are our challenge now. Of course, as you mention, keeping the belly pan profile in check is a concern with all the details of building the frame coming up.

dbj216 01-31-2018 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the black tank (literally) that we put in the Globetrotter. It has a tiny corner "wet" bath. It does not have a gray tank. I used a exact replacement to the black tank that came in the trailer as the fiberglass cabinet for the tank defined the dimensions. You might be able to fabricate the kind of "toilet pedestal" you want to fit the tank you select.

I like to suggest Inca Plastics as a source for your fresh, gray and black tanks to the dimensions you want. Inca Plastics in California has been rotomolding RV tanks for over 50 years. I purchased tanks from them for my Trade Wind and just recently for my Overlander. They have a big, fat catalog online where you can thumb through it until you find a tank configuration you want. They even have an Airstream section.

I might add that my Trade Wind fresh water tank was behind the gaucho in front, above the subfloor. Above floor fresh water tanks are not unusual in vintage Airstreams and can be hidden.

Lots of planning involved in tank selection; from the frame bay, toilet location, gray water drain routings, and how the heck to drain the tanks. Big project, but so is your whole Liner.

Good plans make good results. Don't ask me how many times my plans were inadequate.

David

MsRivet 02-10-2018 06:08 PM

Nice work David!

Weíve been watching and taking notes.

MsRivet 02-10-2018 06:59 PM

Road trip ...

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 303909

After almost three years of searching for a complete galley for the Liner I came across just a range and an appropriate ice box. Since this was the best that we had found so far we had to go get them. However it required a road trip from central Florida to Texas. So we hitched up the International, loaded the dogs and off we went. Our lovely hosts allowed us a courtesy parking spot on their property.

Attachment 303903

Attachment 303904

Neither San Antonio nor New Braunfels had ever been on our list of places to go. We went and managed to spend extra time there and had a blast exploring the area. Our activities included concerts, a festival and visiting a few missions. We were welcomed with open arms by everyone. One Airstream couple who sold us the goods and another Airstream couple that hosted a lovely dinner for us all.

Attachment 303908

Our cargo was safely bundled for the long ride home.

Long story short we figured out that we had met both couples six years ago at the Airstream factory in Ohio. Not kidding! We gathered so much valuable information from them all and we now have an additional source for questions in the future and throughout our restoration. We also now have a base blueprint for a frame and build pictures from one of their recent restorations of a 1948 Liner. Life is good!

Bad news ... it sure was an expensive trip just to go get those appliances. Now a galley cabinet will need to be built and appliances restored. Good news ... the appliances fit and we have new friends for life! Priceless.

Attachment 303905

In other news the wardrobe and dresser have since been removed from the Liner. These items will be safely stored for clean up and refinishing at a later date.

Attachment 303906

Attachment 303907

dbj216 02-10-2018 07:38 PM

Hi Ms Rivet: What a coincidence you met up with Airstreamers you met years ago in Jackson Center. A great story. Your International looks great under the Texas trees.

You found some more period correct items for the 70 year old Liner. More work restoring those items. Your project is way bigger than mine.

David

MsRivet 02-18-2018 07:11 AM

Front interior removal

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 304457

MrRivet began the careful removal of the front panel until he realized it was not original. Then it became another demo session. Some of the trim even had finish nails driven through the wood into the aluminum panel.

Attachment 304458

Attachment 304460

Findings:

Several layers of non-original paint laid behind the paneling. Old rivet holes showing a much deeper front storage area or actually where the original chest of drawers sat under the front window. Prior to removing the paneling we believed we had either a Chinook or a South Wind model. Now we are definitely leaning toward the South Wind!

Attachment 304459

Attachment 304461

We have a busy week ahead. Not working on the Liner but getting our Ď04 Airstream ready for a vintage rally that takes place next weekend nearby here in Central Florida. This rally will have over 150 vintage rigs of all brands present. There is always opportunity to gain more knowledge, see old friends and meet new people at this event.

PM us if anyone will be attending. Weíd love to meet you!

dbj216 02-18-2018 05:57 PM

It's fun to see how these old Airstreams were built way back when. I'll bet it was a South Wind interior also. Even my old 75 Overlander is interesting in the way it was built. And it is less than half as old as your Liner.

Wish I was going to the vintage rally. Someday I will.

David

MsRivet 02-20-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2067930)
It's fun to see how these old Airstreams were built way back when. I'll bet it was a South Wind interior also. Even my old 75 Overlander is interesting in the way it was built. And it is less than half as old as your Liner.

Wish I was going to the vintage rally. Someday I will.

David

DAVID!!!!

There is still time!!! We depart today. MrRivet and I are going early. Starts on Thursday.

Guess thereís alway next year. It wil be a Centennial celebration and a possible goal on completion of the Ď48 Liner. Uhhh ohhhh did I just say GOAL. Guess we can always show up next year and use it as an aluminum tent with a blow-up mattress! Lol

dbj216 02-20-2018 06:56 PM

Well, I hope to go to a local vintage rally this summer. And I hope to take the Overlander. Like you, I'm reluctant to commit to it. There are some things more important than the Overlander.

I understand the Colorado vintage Airstream club is quite nice. At least my Overlander is old, but likely won't have much else going for it. A seventy year old Liner it ain't.

David

MsRivet 03-04-2018 09:44 AM

Floor tiles & interior lower panels removed ...

7 Attachment(s)
The interior lower panels have been removed along with the floor tiles. Also the storage under the rear window has been taken out and stored for restoration later. In doing so we did covered what we thought to be possible ... a previous owner had replaced floor decking and did not run the replacement plywood under the c-channel. Weíve made our first floor template prior to removal of the shell.

Attachment 305524

Attachment 305525

Attachment 305526

Attachment 305527

Attachment 305528

Attachment 305529

Attachment 305530

wkerfoot 03-04-2018 12:47 PM

The Colorado Vintage Airstream Club is great, aka Rocky Mountain VAC. Go the the rally and have a great time, regardless of which trailer you take.

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2068757)
Well, I hope to go to a local vintage rally this summer. And I hope to take the Overlander. Like you, I'm reluctant to commit to it. There are some things more important than the Overlander.

I understand the Colorado vintage Airstream club is quite nice. At least my Overlander is old, but likely won't have much else going for it. A seventy year old Liner it ain't.

David

dbj216 03-04-2018 08:04 PM

You are nearly done with the pre-operation activities. Surgery (shell off) is just around the corner. Funny how someone thought that making a plywood overlayment would somehow help. At least it covers up the holes. Once a person understands how Airstreams are made (semi monocoque construction) you know an overlayment just adds weight, not strength.

David

MsRivet 03-17-2018 10:38 AM

Special Delivery

1 Attachment(s)
The new torsion axle has arrived!!!

Attachment 306498

dbj216 03-17-2018 06:47 PM

But, but; your Liner had a beam axle with leaf spring suspension. You are wise to upgrade to the "torque flex" axle. Did you folks spec this axle yourselves?

David

TouringDan 03-18-2018 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2077888)
But, but; your Liner had a beam axle with leaf spring suspension. You are wise to upgrade to the "torque flex" axle. Did you folks spec this axle yourselves?

David

Easy to provide the specifications for the axle. Much harder to design and specify the mounting details for the axle.

Good improvement. Wally would approve!

Dan

MrRivet 03-20-2018 04:40 PM

We decided early in our planning for the Liners reconstruction that the torsion axle was the only way to go. It has always been our goal to make it dependable and user friendly as possible while trying to maintain the original appearance of the trailer. With the torsion axle, it eliminates the issues that plagued the beam and leaf spring axles. Our biggest concern was having a failure of a spring while traveling and having to wait for days for replacements.

Since we are building an entirely new frame, having the axle delivered ahead of the frame construction allows us to make sure that the axle and frame will come together with no issues. We contacted Colin Hyde Restorations for his guidance with ordering the proper axle configuration. It was a painless process and we took delivery about four weeks after ordering it.

Safe Travels!

HiHoAgRV 03-20-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringDan (Post 2077972)
Easy to provide the specifications for the axle. Much harder to design and specify the mounting details for the axle.

Good improvement. Wally would approve!

Dan

And Wally would require it if you went back in time and signed up for the Around the World Caravan!

MsRivet 03-31-2018 05:08 PM

Frame nearly complete ...

4 Attachment(s)
So, so long in the waiting ... the frame is almost done!

Attachment 307558

Since the beginning weíve had conversations of do we build the frame? Meaning buy a welder. Learn good welding skills and hope the welds hold. Or just throw money at it, save some time and have a professional do the job?

Attachment 307562

Thanks to our trip to Texas where we not only got the range and ice box, we also got frame plans used for another Ď48 Liner. THANK YOU TEXAS! Then once we found a welder, who is also an engineer - that we had confidence in, we gave him the go ahead and a set of frame plans. MrRivet modified the plans slightly to fit our rig. Our welder was excited to take on the project. He has been working in his spare time on building the frame over the past month in his shop. After seeing what he has done so far we know we made the right decision and anyway we by no means had all the proper tools and space like he has in his shop to accomplish what he has.

Attachment 307560

MrRivet and I have been going out for visits to see the progress. Just this past Tuesday it had none of the outriggers attached. Today it is looking a little more complete.

Attachment 307561

Tomorrow we take a short trip to Cedar Key in the Ď04 Airstream. By our return the axle should be attached and ready to tow home! Then the rest of the build should then be all on us.

Iím sure some are saying Ďover killí on the frame build. Yes. We agree. In order to accommodate fresh and gray tanks we needed the frame depth. In order to keep the look of the original deep belly pan ... we needed this frame depth. MrRivet will respond to any technical questions about our new frame.

Guess this will be the last outing in our other A/S for awhile. Once we return it will be full speed ahead on the Ď48!

dbj216 03-31-2018 06:33 PM

Fabricating a new frame for a 70 year old trailer is a feat beyond most of us amature vintage Airstream enthusiasts, especially me. There are lots of considerations. It must have kept Mr. Rivet up at nights figuring out everything. The new frame looks very stout indeed.

David

MsRivet 03-31-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2083216)
Fabricating a new frame for a 70 year old trailer is a feat beyond most of us amature vintage Airstream enthusiasts, especially me. There are lots of considerations. It must have kept Mr. Rivet up at nights figuring out everything. The new frame looks very stout indeed.

David

David!!!
OMG ... hilarious! So true. if I survive this the dogs will be grateful they wonít be split between two homes/parents. Since I freelance most of my jobs are 1 to seven days. I MAY have a 4-6 month job coming up. MrRivet responded with ĎBut, but we have rivets to buck this summer!í

Now that he is retired .... someone still needs money not only to put food in the dog bowls but to buy all the rivets. He will hopefully sleep better tonight now.

TouringDan 04-01-2018 09:03 PM

The frame looks great!

Good decision on building a new frame, finding some good plans and the right guy to fabricate the frame.

Dan

MsRivet 04-02-2018 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringDan (Post 2083677)
The frame looks great!

Good decision on building a new frame, finding some good plans and the right guy to fabricate the frame.

Dan

Thanks, Dan! We canít wait to return home to get that frame to the house. This trip will be spent researching and not so much doing the touristy stuff. Our welder is doing an amazing job. All cut edges were beveled prior to welding. This guy is a true professional and very proud of his work.

David was soooo right. I thought MrRivet would begin to sleep better now. Nope ... not the case. He spent all last night measuring that Ďfinished frameí for tanks and installing Ďthe tanksí that we donít even have yet. LOL

At least we have a great view to research from ...

Attachment 307705

dbj216 04-02-2018 06:15 PM

I read about Liners in the latest issue of Airstream Life. The article was about the Globetrotter name that was applied to the top of the line Liner 22 foot.

That is a lovely view out your Airstream window. And tell Mr. Rivet to get some rest before he gets real crabby. The Liner is just a hobby.

David

goransons 04-02-2018 07:05 PM

It's looking good! It will be great knowing what's holding it all together! Those old pipe frames just were not meant for modern speeds and tanks. You're doing it right!!!

dbj216 04-03-2018 06:37 PM

You probably saw this famous Colorado 1948 Liner 22' in the Classifieds. If not, I thought you might enjoy the pictures and write up.

https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...22-colorado-2/

Show this ad to Mr Rivet. He'll get all excited and stay up all night again.

I might add that there was a nice article in Airstream Life about the first "Globe Trotter" model name. It was applied to the Liners of the late 1940s. It was a fully optioned Liner. You might like finding that article in the Spring issue of Airstream Life.

David

MsRivet 04-03-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2084402)
You probably saw this famous Colorado 1948 Liner 22' in the Classifieds. If not, I thought you might enjoy the pictures and write up.

https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...22-colorado-2/

Show this ad to Mr Rivet. He'll get all excited and stay up all night again.

I might add that there was a nice article in Airstream Life about the first "Globe Trotter" model name. It was applied to the Liners of the late 1940s. It was a fully optioned Liner. You might like finding that article in the Spring issue of Airstream Life.

David

Yes, yes and YES!!! Thanks for yet another sleepless night ahead for MrRivet.

Interesting I finished reading The A/S Life article this morning and saw Budís Colorado add this afternoon. Great information on how the Globetrotters came about. And that ours being an early Ď48 was probably a base model for it. Thanks to Fred for a great article and Rich for keeping the dream alive. We spent the afternoon today under palm trees finalizing taillights. The taillights seem so far away but really donít want to be scrambling with that the last minute. Since taillights will need to be finished and secured well before Interior skins are reinstalled.

Iíve already done screen grabs on all the pictures of the Colorado Liner. Everything is a reference to us at this point. Also thanks to EVERYONE we have met and socialized with over the past twelve years of Airstreamín. We are seeing everyone and everything come full circle in our efforts to make this Ď48 Liner come back to life.

MsRivet 04-07-2018 05:57 PM

The frame has finally ...

4 Attachment(s)
Arrived home!

Attachment 308112

Attachment 308113

Attachment 308114

Attachment 308115

MsRivet 04-14-2018 07:54 AM

No progress but progress has happened. MrRivet has spent a good part of the week measuring and re-measuring the new frame. There were a few critical measurements to confirm like where the door opening lands and cross member placement. So far it looks to be perfect! He seems to be sleeping somewhat better now. The cross members were spaced to where we would not need to special order holding tanks. Once the frame landed we confirmed those numbers so we could go ahead and order tanks from VTS and Plastic Mart.

So this week we did go ahead and order the holding tanks. Even tho no physical progress we still feel that something was accomplished by placing those orders. VTS has given us a five business day turnaround. All they will do is insert fittings, to shelf stock, where requested by us. By not ordering custom tanks it saves some money but still an expensive purchase.

This week we will order the metal needed for holding the tanks in place and begin prepping the frame for paint. Also on the horizon looms the purchase of the Marine Plywood for the decking.

streamquest 04-17-2018 10:06 PM

Mystery Liner

1 Attachment(s)
I have an old liner myself that is in quite a state of disrepair (fully collapsed pipe frame), and I've been admiring your new frame all day. I believe mine may be a '48, but I'm not positive. There's a doorbell where the date plate should be. Is that vent above the door a factory feature? I haven't seen it on any other Liners.

Any guesses based on this picture?

Much thanks.

MsRivet 04-18-2018 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by streamquest (Post 2090553)
I have an old liner myself that is in quite a state of disrepair (fully collapsed pipe frame), and I've been admiring your new frame all day. I believe mine may be a '48, but I'm not positive. There's a doorbell where the date plate should be. Is that vent above the door a factory feature? I haven't seen it on any other Liners.

Any guesses based on this picture?

Much thanks.

Streamquest,

Interesting vents. We have never seen that. To me it does not look to be original however you never know ... custom requests were always in play. There is a Liner that exists with two square windows on the front and rear that opened. Those were custom from the factory. You may be able to determine close to your year by studying any rivet holes in that general area. The early Ď47s going through sometime middle of Ď48 had a square plate with four screws. Then in mid 48 it went to an oval brass with two rivets. You can research more on this at

https://vintageairstream.com/

Check that doorbell plate closer. Canít tell any detail from the picture but could it have been flipped? Information on the back? Here are a few pictures of our door. As you see not everything comes perfect from the factory. Our serial plate was mounted crooked. Guess they were in a hurry to move from the airport to the new factory!

Attachment 308961

Attachment 308962

When do you plan on beginning your restoration? We towed ours home. So lucky it made it home in one piece! We are pretty sure we have a breach or two in the old pipe frame. Will know soon once we lift the shell.

streamquest 04-18-2018 10:15 PM

Thanks for getting back.
Unfortunately, I won't be undertaking restoration of this one. Too many projects, and too little time. It is now listed on eBay for someone else to take on.

MsRivet 04-19-2018 07:10 PM

Golf Cart Tow Vehicle

2 Attachment(s)
Since I posted this on another thread I thought I would go ahead and add it here too:

Today MrRivet moved the Liner back about 65í through soft sand and thick grass with our golf cart. It took a little bit to get her moving since she had settled in the sand but with a little rock back and forth it worked. The Liner had sat unmoved for just over three years. We had decided to use the golf cart to keep his heavy truck out of the soft unpacked sand on that side of the house. I had put the flames on the golf cart to make it go faster, seems it made it a tougher TV as well!

Attachment 309069

I then used the golf cart to easily tow the new frame around front yard, on our gravel road and back it into the side yard like no load was there. The new frame currently sits where the Liner use to sit. The Liner really looks nice sitting in her new temporary location.

Attachment 309071

dbj216 04-20-2018 07:42 PM

Now you will start all kinds of posts on how inadequate a golf cart is as a tow vehicle. Not enough power, not enough cargo capacity, not enough engine braking, you used the wrong hitch, etc, etc. Mr. Rivet will be up all night defending his decision.

I am rather surprised it moved the trailer quite frankly. But glad it did. They used to pull Liners with bicycles you know, but not on sandy soil.

David

MsRivet 05-05-2018 04:09 PM

Slow motion

2 Attachment(s)
Life keeps getting in the way. Between services, Birthday Parties, doctor appointments, galas, my work and now the weather ... progress has been slow. The metal prep has begun but WOW what a process. The metal degreaser was a breeze. Then came the metal prep. For those who have not done this it took much longer than anticipated. The painting was to begin today however weíve had rain and thereís more coming.

Attachment 310205

Even with all the delays we have still been moving forward on purchasing smaller items needed on future segments of this project. All the holding tanks came in. We purchased a nifty dent roller. Had custom taillights made in California and have even bought curtain material.

Attachment 310206

Hopefully dry weather will come by Monday.

dbj216 05-05-2018 06:11 PM

Don't worry about "slow progress". Deadlines take away some of the fun of the project. Every aspect of your project will take longer than you think. But it will come together eventually.

I spent all afternoon re-installing one shelf in the bathroom closet. As you well know there is nothing "square" about Airstream construction methods. I realigned two walls of the closet and then devised a easy removal scheme for this shelf as I have some plumbing parts on the floor below the shelf. Airstream had the shelf riveted in place. All this messing around is fun, but time consuming.

Nice tanks, lots of capacity so it appears. And the curtain material looks nice too. It takes a long time to make curtains. We never got the job done for our 66 Trade Wind.

We have lots of dry weather here in Colorado. Wanna trade?

David

TouringDan 05-06-2018 06:39 AM

I saw this Liner, I think itís a Liner, on my travels to Texas (Fentress) recently. It has probably been there many years as some extra space for the house. Kind of sad to see to us Airstream addicts, but I guess the extra space worked for these folks. Interesting new windows. The originals were kind of small. What year do you think?

Sorry about the hijack?

Dan

TouringDan 05-06-2018 06:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by touringdan (Post 2097845)
i saw this liner, i think itís a liner, on my travels to texas (fentress) recently. It has probably been there many years as some extra space for the house. Kind of sad to see to us airstream addicts, but i guess the extra space worked for these folks. Interesting new windows. The originals were kind of small. What year do you think?

Sorry about the hijack?

Dan

Attachment 310227Attachment 310228

66Overlander 05-06-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringDan (Post 2097845)
I saw this Liner, I think itís a Liner, on my travels to Texas (Fentress) recently. It has probably been there many years as some extra space for the house. Kind of sad to see to us Airstream addicts, but I guess the extra space worked for these folks. Interesting new windows. The originals were kind of small. What year do you think?

Sorry about the hijack?

Dan

In case it makes you feel any better, that is not an Airstream Liner. It is most likely a Silver Streak Clipper from the very early 1950s, after Curtis Wright sold their trailer business in mid 1949.

MsRivet 05-06-2018 10:55 AM

Taking a breath ....

dbj216
You are right. We did kinda put a deadline on this and should never have done so. We are taking a big breath on this rainy day and at least slowing the roll in our heads. The tank capacities are as follows:

Fresh Water - 30 gal.
Grey Water - 32 gal. Total (two grey tanks)

We have decided on a compost toilet so no black tank at this point. Weíll be throwing away our square in the building process but will keep levels handy. The curtains should be easy. I re-did the ones in our Ď04 and love them.

TouringDan & 66Overlander
We love seeing other photos of vintage trailers. At this point anything can be a reference for us. I did almost shed a tear though seeing these. To us it doesnít matter the brand. We love them all.

dbj216 05-06-2018 06:52 PM

Hi MsRivet: Good for you. Don't press, just enjoy every little detail of restoring and renovating this old Liner. It will be a great vintage Airstream when done and likely worth quite a bit.

Here is a link to a new Forums participant that I thought you might be interested in. I read he has a 1949 Airstream he would like to sell.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...am-181102.html

Tell MrRivet to fire up the truck and point it to the great Northwest. This could be your next project. He'll be up all night thinking about the possibilities.

David

MrRivet 05-10-2018 07:09 AM

Hot water heater

Has anyone had any experience with a tankless water heater in a vintage trailer? We really donít like the idea of having a modern water heater door on the outside of the Liner. We have considered installing a standard RV water heater and constructing a door skinned with Alclad to resemble the outer skin. We have also been considering a tankless water heater that is vented through the floor but we have concerns about possible excess water consumption while boondocking. Any thoughts?

Safe Travels!!
Tim

DavidsonOverlander 05-10-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRivet (Post 2099565)
Has anyone had any experience with a tankless water heater in a vintage trailer? We really donít like the idea of having a modern water heater door on the outside of the Liner. We have considered installing a standard RV water heater and constructing a door skinned with Alclad to resemble the outer skin. We have also been considering a tankless water heater that is vented through the floor but we have concerns about possible excess water consumption while boondocking. Any thoughts?

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Colin Hyde talked about making modern water heaters look vintage on the outside on a recent episode of The VAP. I'm not sure which episode it was, and I don't see it in the show notes. He has a tool that makes a louvered vent from flat aluminum.

steinVT 05-11-2018 06:15 AM

Tankless Heater

I decided to go with a tankless heater on my '56 Safari after reading a number of reviews on this site. I have bought it, but it will be a while until it gets installed as I need a floor first. It's an Excel 1.6 gpm vent free.

The installation I had read about was in a cabinet and was unvented except for opening the cabinet door when taking a shower. His thinking was you don't think twice about running the stove to cook and the water heater only runs when you are drawing water. He used it like that for years.

My plan will take advantage of the intake and exhaust vents for the refrigerator since they will be close to each other. Of course I will have a carbon monoxide detector.

MrRivet 05-19-2018 01:16 PM

Rain Delay!

Well the rain continues here in Florida. 5+ inches here in the last 48 hours. We had planned to have the frame, subfloor and belly pan completed and ready to transfer the shell before the summer rain patterns began but Mother Nature has other plans. The frame is half painted and waiting on a couple of dry days to complete. This leaves us with idle time thinking ahead about details of the project that are coming up.

Has anyone considered using a ďBiscuitĒ joiner to strengthen the joints where the plywood edges come together over the frame structure? Idle hands here that leaves the mind free to over think the details!

Thanks for the water heater responses.
steinVT - I did check out the Excel 1.6 and it is an attractive option especially the price. Our cabinet space is limited for mounting options but since we are building the galley cabinet we could possibly work it into the design. Thanks for the input!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

dbj216 05-19-2018 06:13 PM

I would welcome 5" of rain here in dry Colorado. Send some our way if you would.

I see "biscuit" joints on "This Old House" from time to time. Most cabinet frames in the Airstream are rather light duty and thin woods. I find a little glue and screws hold the cabinet framing together good enough. But maybe you are a perfectionists.

David

Bubba L 05-24-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRivet (Post 2103345)
Well the rain continues here in Florida. 5+ inches here in the last 48 hours. We had planned to have the frame, subfloor and belly pan completed and ready to transfer the shell before the summer rain patterns began but Mother Nature has other plans. The frame is half painted and waiting on a couple of dry days to complete. This leaves us with idle time thinking ahead about details of the project that are coming up.

Has anyone considered using a ďBiscuitĒ joiner to strengthen the joints where the plywood edges come together over the frame structure? Idle hands here that leaves the mind free to over think the details!

Thanks for the water heater responses.
steinVT - I did check out the Excel 1.6 and it is an attractive option especially the price. Our cabinet space is limited for mounting options but since we are building the galley cabinet we could possibly work it into the design. Thanks for the input!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

When we rebuilt the frame on our 55, we made sure the positioning of the cross members worked with the plywood splices and the tanks. We used biscuits at the joints and spaced them around 16Ē apart. Donít know if the biscuits are necessary, but it certainly doesnít hurt. They will keep any vertical separation from happening. Good luck, Bubba

57Vintage 05-24-2018 09:22 PM

water heater

The Suburban IW60 tankless is what I'm using on our 58. Like you I did not want the door on the outside, nor is it going in the same spot as the original. This unit only has the intake/exhaust vent through the outside wall (about a 6" dia chrome grill). All the connections are on the interior side.

Can't comment on performance yet we're just a few weeks from finishing the interior.

MsRivet 05-27-2018 06:25 AM

Even more rain delays ...

3 Attachment(s)
Yíall this is insane. Now Tropical Storm Alberto is on his way. MrRivet was able to get a few more sections of frame painted between rain showers over this past week. Iíll post pictures once the frame gets finished painted and when we have a sunny day. He then had to take a quick trip out of state only to come home last night to Alberto. At least I was able to have a fun solo trip in Sanibel last weekend in our other Airstream. Only one rain storm last Saturday night. However the four hour drive home towing in rain was not fun for me. It was definitely a confidence builder.

Attachment 312145

One day this past week we were both able to make it to a big box store. In trying to look ahead to what can we do with it raining? What do we need next? I see a couple of gantries in my future:

Attachment 312146

Attachment 312147

dbj216
Iím doing my best to send this rain your way. Maybe we will swing by your place next year on our trip out west. Weíll check your place out and decide if we want to swap. Your shop, which we donít have in Florida, sure does look nice and would be a bonus for us. Oh and MrRivet is considering using the biscuits in the floor decking to help prevent vertical movement. Thoughts?

Bubba L
Plans from the beginning took into consideration where each sheet of plywood would lay. It definitely takes a lot of major planning and rethinking to make sure itís right. And probably wonít know for sure until each stage is completed. We like your idea of 16Ē spacing on the biscuits.

57Vintage
We have researched the Suburban IW60 tankless as well. Every different type of water heater has advantages and disadvantages as well. Thanks for letting us know what you did. Please let us know how that works out for you as we still have time before making our final decision.

Maybe we should keep our boat and not sell it? A few more idle days lay ahead.

dbj216 05-27-2018 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We always enjoy meeting fellow vintage Airstreamers. I'm going to a vintage rally in August, my first one. Looking forward to it.

As you know Airstream used a plywood "splice" under the joints between plywood subfloor sections. The splice sits on a crossmember of the frame preventing verticle movement when the subfloor is stepped on.

Tongue and groove plywood also provides a strong joint.

So would biscuits, but the biscuits would be more time consuming to install it seems to me. Well, it's something to do in the rain.

Our two trailers have the plywood splice joints under the subfloor and on top of the "lower" crossmembers. Look on the right side of the photo and you can see the plywood splice on top of the "lower" crossmember. Goot enuff for me.

Of course 70 years ago Airstream was dong something completely different. Pipe frames I believe. No frame rails. No A frame.

David

MsRivet 06-02-2018 07:50 AM

Raising of the gantries

3 Attachment(s)
During and between rain showers we did it! The first set MrRivet and I raised by ourselves. On the she second set I called in reinforcements and had my step-dad come help. Even though we didnít actually touch the Liner this week at least we feel progress was made. Thanks to whoever posted the plans on this Forums for the gantry build. It was a link to a thread to a thread to another thread. Vergie is still patiently waiting in the background.

Forecast has drier weather ahead for us. Yesterday stayed dry but that turned into a yard day. The grass has grown really fast with all the rain that we have had. MrRivet should be able to finish painting the frame today.

Attachment 312661

Attachment 312662

Attachment 312663

goransons 06-02-2018 03:04 PM

Looking good! It's amazing how the weather can slow you down! Keep up the good work!

MsRivet 06-03-2018 07:38 AM

Frame painted

2 Attachment(s)
Finally the frame is painted for the most part anyway. The remaining axle sections will be finished at a later date. We went with the gray Por-15 as the first coat and then black as the second coat to ensure everything was covered in both coats.

Attachment 312800

Attachment 312801

On to the next task ...

goransons 06-03-2018 08:19 AM

The por-15 should dry really well after all that rain. Looks good!

steinVT 06-09-2018 04:05 AM

POR-15 is very tough stuff. That frame will be around a long time.

Are you going to paint over the sections that are exposed to sunlight? It doesn't hold up well when exposed to UV. I found that POR-15 also makes a top coat which I am going to try for my A-frame and rear bumper.

Looks great, Mark.

dbj216 06-09-2018 07:18 PM

I used the POR-15 top coat on my trailer in the A frame, axle mounting plate, and the rear exposed frame rails. I used the silver color. The paint stayed solid for the three years I had it.

David

steinVT 06-10-2018 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbj216 (Post 2112885)
I used the POR-15 top coat on my trailer in the A frame, axle mounting plate, and the rear exposed frame rails. I used the silver color. The paint stayed solid for the three years I had it.

David

Maybe the silver color is different. I used the black to paint the tongue of a snowmobile trailer and it went from gloss black to chalky flat dark grey in about a year and a half.

MrRivet 06-10-2018 10:16 AM

We have been impressed by the finished results with the POR-15. This stuff dries like a rock! With the humidity excellerating the drying between follow up coats we have only been able to paint small sections before having to start the second coat. Where the painted sections meet we needed to scuff the previous section for the paint to adhere. You really have to lean on the sandpaper to get a good scuff!

Our plans for the paint is to get a good solid covering of the frame including making sure that we touch up any breach in the coating such as drilling or additional modifications that may come along. We are planning on an accent color for the exposed areas of the frame that would receive UV exposure so the POR-15 paint will be covered. We have noticed a slight dulling of the POR-15 in the first sections that were painted due to the direct sun exposure but hopefully that will be covered with subfloor very soon. From my research the dulling is only cosmetic and does not effect the performance of the paint.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

KellySLC49 06-17-2018 11:24 PM

Fortunately for us the original emblem was found inside the Liner. When we came across someone making a few reproductions we purchased one.

Attachment 302353[/QUOTE]

Where did you find your emblem? I will be needing one as well! :wally:

MsRivet 06-18-2018 08:17 PM

Airstream Emblem

Hey KellySLC49 -

I will PM you that information.

AND

MeRivet just found one on eBay listed as AIRSTREAM EMBLEM for $195.

Could e same person? Both are in Utah. IDK

Good luck!

MrRivet 07-15-2018 06:48 PM

First rivets set!

1 Attachment(s)
Since the frame has been painted, we have been working on gathering materials for the subfloor, holding tanks, plumbing, insulation and belly pan installations. We are still waiting on some of the supplies due to them being out of stock. While we are waiting for the remaining supplies I decided to cut down the wheel wells about 4Ē. This will provide us with additional room in the galley cabinet for plumbing and additional room in the wardrobe. This also provided us with a good project to improve on riveting and fabrication skills in preparation for the work ahead. I also fabricated a sheet metal brake that should come in handy for the fabrication work ahead. It has already seen service with the wheel well project. Attached is a picture of the wheel wells side by side with one already altered and nearing completion.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

KellySLC 07-15-2018 11:17 PM

How did you know how much to cut down?

We've thought of doing the same on our Bubble - especially since we replaced the old drop axle with a Dexter so it's a bit taller now. How did you determine how much movement the tire needed inside the wheel well?

MrRivet 07-16-2018 07:59 AM

I referenced the specific axle wheel maximum travel from no load to full load from product information located in the reference section located on the Dexter website and added this to the wheel height measurement above the top of the frame. I then added an additional 3Ē to that height as recommended by Dexter on the same document. The final dimension of the wheel well is about .58Ē over the total. This should give us just over 3.5Ē if tire clearance under full load while at rest. This is approximately what we have on our 2004 28í International while loaded. Hope this helps!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

Troutboy 07-16-2018 09:37 AM

You do very nice work!!

MrRivet 07-28-2018 10:10 AM

Wheel wells completed.

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the complement Troutboy! We have had the Liner for three years waiting for me to retire and dedicate my time to it. It is nice having the time to work on it and be able to not rush to a stopping point with anticipation of going to work.

The wheel wells are completed. The next step is installing the subfloor as weather permits. We were counting on our usual dry season this spring but that didnít happen and have been contending with daily thunderstorms and rain. We have had about 35Ē so far this year. I think daily about how nice it would be to have a garage large enough to work in and not have to stop work because of rain. Maybe on the next one!

Safe Travels!!
Tim

TouringDan 07-28-2018 08:29 PM

Beautiful wheel wells and frame. Your Liner will be much better than when it left the factory. Wally is smiling.

Dan

dbj216 07-29-2018 07:05 PM

Send some of that rain our way, and I'll send you some hot, dry drought weather, with a wildfire or two to keep things interesting.

Good bones make a good Airstream even if it is 70 years old. You are going to have a very special liner indeed.

David

MrRivet 08-11-2018 08:27 PM

Thanks David but we have enough hot weather(mid 90s, 100% humidity) and I did the wildfire thing for 36 years so we will pass on the offer. Wish we could send some precipitation your way. Hopefully the crazy weather pattern out west will break soon and will shift back more towards normal.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

dbj216 08-13-2018 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attended my first vintage Airstream rally a week ago. It was great fun. There were a couple of late 40's,, early 50's trailers there, I don't know if they were Liners, Clippers or something else. I do know they were cool.

Soon you can join them and have people standing around staring at your trailer, taking pictures and the like.

David