Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Best dealer to factory order from (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/best-dealer-to-factory-order-from-174741.html)

skydive0602 11-06-2017 07:31 AM

Best dealer to factory order from

Hi, everyone. I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am looking to order a new airstream exactly how I want it, and need it by May 2018. Has anyone done this and can tell me what percent discount you received? I am taking a trip at the end of May for the summer and can go to any of the lower 48 to pick it up, so would like to save as much as possible on purchase. I'm planning on a 25fb international, and can't find any on rv trader that match what I am looking for (espresso leather, power awning package, 2xAC's). I expect in the future I'll want bigger, so want to purchase the highest resale airstream so I don't lose as much, and the consensus on forums seems to be the 25fb is a pretty good bet. I plan to tow regularly for the next 1-2 years (daily) and prefer to boondock as much as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kendrick.l.j 11-06-2017 09:08 AM

H Shydive, welcome to the forum. The model you are wanting is very popular so finding one is probably very tough. If you simply can’t find one ready to purchase I would think you are not going to get much, if any, discount. Production is about 3 months behind demand so if you are going to order you should no that soon. Have you check inventory at Colonial in NJ? They have a pretty large inventory and that is were you could get the best deal. I am sure you have considered buying your last Airstream first. If you know you only want this one for a year or two before you upgrade, why not just buy the one you really want now. Buying new of anything you will take a hit on depreciation the first day you take it off the lot, how much of a hit depends and a lot of things, how much wear and tear you put in it, how many miles it’s been drug around the country, how many dings and dents, popularly of this or that model, all vary. In your case I would try real hard to find a used Airstream that is close enough and just use that one until you are ready for the upgrade, you could sure save a ton. If money is no issue and you want to pay full price than, yea, special order or buy the one you really want first.

skydive0602 11-06-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j (Post 2031181)
H Shydive, welcome to the forum. The model you are wanting is very popular so finding one is probably very tough. If you simply canít find one ready to purchase I would think you are not going to get much, if any, discount. Production is about 3 months behind demand so if you are going to order you should no that soon. Have you check inventory at Colonial in NJ? They have a pretty large inventory and that is were you could get the best deal. I am sure you have considered buying your last Airstream first. If you know you only want this one for a year or two before you upgrade, why not just buy the one you really want now. Buying new of anything you will take a hit on depreciation the first day you take it off the lot, how much of a hit depends and a lot of things, how much wear and tear you put in it, how many miles itís been drug around the country, how many dings and dents, popularly of this or that model, all vary. In your case I would try real hard to find a used Airstream that is close enough and just use that one until you are ready for the upgrade, you could sure save a ton. If money is no issue and you want to pay full price than, yea, special order or buy the one you really want first.

I've seen forums in the past where people special ordered and supposedly got a good discount, but don't remember what dealers they used. Colonial airstream has a couple of units 25fb and 27fb I would consider, but I can't stand the idea of oyster interior with a large dog. Also, I can see being more stationary in the future then would love the comfort of the classic 30, but I don't think I want to be hauling that for 1-2 years every day going into cities and tight parking lots. I know everyone says the towing between 25/27/30 is very little difference, but I believe there is a big difference when pulling into tight parking lots in cities frequently. I'm not interested in used.