Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Parked our CCD and found this... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/parked-our-ccd-and-found-this-17433.html)

67caravel 07-19-2005 02:49 PM

Parked our CCD and found this...

1 Attachment(s)
on the ground...

Any ideas on what it is?

AYRSTRM2 07-19-2005 02:51 PM

Pecan cracker. Were you vacationing in Georgia or Texas?

John

PS, just joking!

05ModPod 07-19-2005 03:15 PM

Looks like a rachet clamp of sorts - possibly from a slide in truck camper.

Just a wild guess.... :blush:

67caravel 07-19-2005 03:18 PM

It's a tool of some sort... Trying to get a positive ID. Thanks so far.

axleman 07-19-2005 03:19 PM

Wow?

I say a tool of some sort. Perhaps a splitter.

Another WAG!:blink:

Regards,
Henry

axleman 07-19-2005 03:23 PM

OK a tool!

Any markings on the tool?

Perhaps a manufacturer?:brows:

I am now curious!:huh:

Regards,
Henry

Porky Pig 07-19-2005 03:27 PM

Sorta looks like an old impact style nut breaker ... not to be confused with a ball buster. :lol:

Apologies to everyone ... I just can't help myself.

Westfalia 07-19-2005 03:36 PM

Xray, that's a german muffler bearing wrench. It must have been left behind by some careless Volkswagen technician during your last Touareg service.

2airishuman 07-19-2005 03:43 PM

looks like a pipe cutter.
size isn't obvious from the photo but copper or iron water/gas pipes?

cheers
2air'

bobechs 07-19-2005 03:56 PM

Ohmigod! That's the one piece that holds it all together! Don't go anywhere until it's replaced! You were lucky to survive!!

crazylev 07-19-2005 04:08 PM

...an early circumcission device????

john hd 07-19-2005 05:15 PM

x ray

you found what is called an ampact gun.

it is used by linemen like myself to install power line connectors. if you unscrew the back of it you will find a plastic 20 gauge shot gun shell in the back of it.

it uses 4 different color shells to make the connection, white red blue or yellow.

it is made by amp incorporated which is owned by tyco now.

go run down to the local power company and ask if anyone is missing one, they will be glad to get it back.

john

TomW 07-19-2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hd
...it uses 4 different color shells to make the connection, white red blue or yellow...

I'm sorry, but that's just too cool!

I wish my professional tools had that level of excitement to them. :)

Thanks for the answer John :cool:

Tom
p.s. I'm going to keep one eye open for one of those if I ever go on the World's Longest Yard Sale again! :D

Tin Hut 07-19-2005 07:48 PM

Obviously UFO in origin. Goes with Airstreaming. Either way, I'd put it on Ebay.

CanoeStream 07-19-2005 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
john hd -- then what is this? Is the current flowing to the left or the right??

67caravel 07-19-2005 08:50 PM

I have to admit that I knew John would have the answer - no kidding!

The back does unscrew. I sat and looked at the thing for twenty minutes trying to figure out what it might be and thought it might be something for powerline work...

Thanks for the super sleuth work!

john hd 07-19-2005 09:15 PM

good one bob!

x ray,

i'm looking for a web page to better describe it operation but haven't had much luck. the tyco electronics web page has a pdf file for the operation of it.

simply put, you put a shotgun shell into the back of it and it fires a wedge into a "C" shaped connector.

it is fired by striking the back of it with a hammer.

it is a handy tool, and makes the best heavy duty electrical connections in the industry. they never fail. period.

john

59toaster 07-19-2005 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xray
I have to admit that I knew John would have the answer - no kidding!

The back does unscrew. I sat and looked at the thing for twenty minutes trying to figure out what it might be and thought it might be something for powerline work...

Thanks for the super sleuth work!

Yep I did to.

It looks similar to a Coax Crimping tool Not the little stuff your use but the 1.5 inch stuff used at Cell towers.

Tyco is just buying up everything aren't they John?

Nearly all our UPS battery's at the Switches and Cells are not provided by Tyco in my Business. I have about twenty five 2250lb Tyco batteries sitting on the floor that I will send off this week to get installed.

The Tyco guy has a similar tool. I'll ask him to let me take a picture if he comes in this week.

He's replacing some of these batteries and adding another row.

That over head rack is 10ft tall to give you some scale. That rack of batteries weights 276,000lbs :bb:
Some of the cables coming off the batteries and I have big hands in the second picture.

2airishuman 07-19-2005 11:22 PM

betcha can't carry it on an aero plane!

man, so that things got a firing cap inside the size of 20g?

seems it might be a bit dangerous left lying around.

any warning lable on it?

how hard is it to fire? just it the end with a hammer? oh my!

found some blasting caps and dynomite at a rail line construction site when i was about 12......kept them in my special hiding place for a few weeks till i finally turned them in at school to my science teacher.........sure could do that these days! i'd have been expelled for sure as a young bomber!@

cheers
2air'

53flyingcloud 07-19-2005 11:51 PM

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hd
x ray

you found what is called an ampact gun.

it is used by linemen like myself to install power line connectors. if you unscrew the back of it you will find a plastic 20 gauge shot gun shell in the back of it.

it uses 4 different color shells to make the connection, white red blue or yellow.

john

Kewl...
John,
Having never used one, I was trying to figure out how does that discharge or vent the gas?
53FC