Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Brake Controllers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/)
-   -   Disc vs Drum Brakes? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/disc-vs-drum-brakes-17343.html)

Thrift 07-12-2005 12:58 PM

Disc vs Drum Brakes?
 
I will be purchasing a New Safari SE 25SS in the next year and my question is, Do I want Drum or Disc Brakes?

Paul Mayeux 07-12-2005 01:07 PM

Disk - no question about it! I had the Kodiak disk brake system installed on my 67 Caravel by the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, Tx. David Tidmore, the manager who is DTBW on this forum said that I wouldn't believe the difference and that was an understatement. I use the Prodigy brake controller and the the stopping is so controlled and precise you can't tell there is a trailer behind you. I'll never have another drum brake system after having this setup.

axleman 07-12-2005 01:39 PM

Disc!
 
Thrift,

You will NOT go wrong with the Kodiak disc brake package! The function of a trailer brake is to stop - I am yet to test a braking system with as good of results stopping as the Kodiak.

My two cents.:blush:

Regards,
Henry

Thrift 07-12-2005 02:50 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but is the Kodiac Disc brake system a standard option from Airstream?

axleman 07-12-2005 03:07 PM

Yes!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Kodiac Disc brake system a standard option from Airstream?

Thrift,

Kodiak manufactures the disc brake system that will be used by Airstream. Visit www.kodiaktrailer.com for more information.:brows:

Regards,
Henry

J&C 07-12-2005 03:37 PM

Disc without question
 
We had the 34-tripple axle converted to Kodiak disc a year ago. The Airstream now has more brake power that the Excursion! We have no fade when Decending from the mountains in Colorado. It priceless to have this feeling and control! :bb:

47WeeWind 07-12-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Disk - no question about it! I had the Kodiak disk brake system installed on my 67 Caravel by the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, Tx. David Tidmore, the manager who is DTBW on this forum said that I wouldn't believe the difference and that was an understatement. I use the Prodigy brake controller and the the stopping is so controlled and precise you can't tell there is a trailer behind you. I'll never have another drum brake system after having this setup.

Paul:

Did you substitute the dics brakes for the original drum brakes on your existing axle? Or did you buy a new axle with the disc brake set up installed on it? What axle are you running under your '67 Caravel, original or a replacement axle? Thanks for more details.

Paul Mayeux 07-12-2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Paul:

Did you substitute the dics brakes for the original drum brakes on your existing axle? Or did you buy a new axle with the disc brake set up installed on it? What axle are you running under your '67 Caravel, original or a replacement axle? Thanks for more details.

Hi Fred - I ordered a new axle last fall from Inland with the drum brakes. It is the 3,000# factory replacement which had 10" drum brakes. The axle was already installed and I had probably 1,000 miles on it when it was converted. The conversion was pretty straight forward as far as I know. I saw the installation going in and there weren't any modifications required. They (Roger Williams Airstream) installed new bearings and seals with the new rotors. The pump and reservoir are located in the coach under the front seating area next to the water pump. I didn't have to change the wheels or anything else. The first trip out was a few weeks ago to Cuchara, CO and then to Padre Island here in Texas over the 4th weekend. Through all of those miles and differing driving conditions I never had to mess with the adjustment on the Prodigy - it is set at 6.1. I've had to brake hard a time or two and the brakes responded as smoothly as the tow vehicles brakes. No grabbing or anything. Interestingly enough, the Caravel has enough brake power to stop 4 Caravels. According to David, the brakes are rated at 6,000# ea.

Mike B 07-12-2005 08:27 PM

disks versus drums
 
Hi All
Has anyone converted over to the 12" Kodiak disk brakes and used the Alcoa slotted mag wheels from the 70's? I have done the change, and am not finished with the plumbing yet but I ran into some clearance issues with the mags rubbing on the calipers.
I tried some steel wheels I had and they have plenty of clearance. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this.
I am really looking forward to having them finished and working.
Thanks
Mike B

J&C 07-13-2005 02:15 PM

Wheels
 
Mike B,

I can't help with your issue however my 34' came from the factory with 15" American Racing wheels so fit had already been addressed.

Over the years, I have had peridoic fit/clearance problems with cars, playing with tires sizes has backfired on me :blink: so anything with wheels would be fair game for a good fit.

axleman 07-13-2005 02:55 PM

Wheels, wheels, wheels?!
 
This thread is developing quite nicely.



The Kodiak specifications for the “Airstream” style disc brakes (5200#-6000# capacity) specify a 15” or larger wheel will work. Mike’s wheels were 15” and he still had a slight rub. This to me shows that variations can exist amongst 15” wheels (different per wheel manufacturer). Like Mike, I am curious about the older Airstream style wheels as well.



Regards,

Henry

Paul Mayeux 07-13-2005 03:07 PM

Maybe there is a slight difference in the offset of the wheel hub. I know when I was ordering new wheels for the Caravel there were some choices of offset.

Tin Hut 07-13-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Disk - no question about it! I had the Kodiak disk brake system installed on my 67 Caravel by the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, Tx. David Tidmore, the manager who is DTBW on this forum said that I wouldn't believe the difference and that was an understatement. I use the Prodigy brake controller and the the stopping is so controlled and precise you can't tell there is a trailer behind you. I'll never have another drum brake system after having this setup.

Like Paul, I'm also having the Kodiak disk brakes installed at the Weatherford, TX dealer. If anyone is considering a new unit or any kind of work I'd highly recommend them. David Tidmore and his team does outstanding quality work. They're doing some custom work for me & I'll post some pics in a few weeks when it's all done.

J&C 07-13-2005 06:38 PM

Vented Kodiaks
 
My Kodiaks disc are vented, are all Kodiaks vented?

uwe 07-13-2005 07:54 PM

I installed disc brakes on my 1963 Overlander, and the stock steel wheels from my 1971 Airstream fit fine, no rubbing. I am, however, running Dexter's disc brake setup, not Kodiak. I am not sure if the interference is the same Dexter vs. Kodiak.
I have no practical experience yet, since I have not towed the beast yet. Can't wait to give it a test, though.

Mike B 07-13-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Maybe there is a slight difference in the offset of the wheel hub. I know when I was ordering new wheels for the Caravel there were some choices of offset.

Paul,
The Alcoa's have a half inch positive offset. If you look at the wheels they are massive as far as thickness is concerned, much more than most modern wheels that I have seen.
Thanks for the feedback and like those that have already done the change I am looking forward to the increased braking that will be available.
Thanks again
Mike

axleman 07-14-2005 07:23 AM

I think so!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbaker
My Kodiaks disc are vented, are all Kodiaks vented?

John Baker,



To the best of my knowledge all of the Kodiak rotors, both integral and non-integral, are vented.



Regards,

Henry

Paul Mayeux 07-14-2005 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Like Paul, I'm also having the Kodiak disk brakes installed at the Weatherford, TX dealer. If anyone is considering a new unit or any kind of work I'd highly recommend them. David Tidmore and his team does outstanding quality work. They're doing some custom work for me & I'll post some pics in a few weeks when it's all done.

I don't mind giving credit where credit is due and Jim is correct, the level of quality is unmatched. While I was having the Kodiac system installed they also installed a Dometic A/C with the remote thermostat, a new electrical service box and a new copper feed line to the A/C. They also changed out a couple of dented exterior sheet metal panels and the front curbside banana wrap. The work was done in a timely manner, nothing was damaged and the attention to detail made a finished product that could pass for being factory. And the icing on the cake was daily updates on what was being done and actually being encouraged to come into the shop and view the progress. That to me is red carpet treatment.

Minnie's Mate 07-14-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axleman
Thrift,

Kodiak manufactures the disc brake system that will be used by Airstream. Visit www.kodiaktrailer.com for more information.:brows:

Regards,
Henry

I understand in 2006 disc brakes will be standard on Classics, does anybody know how much the upgrade to disc brakes will be on the non-Classic Airstreams will be?

axleman 07-14-2005 02:21 PM

My two cents!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I understand in 2006 disc brakes will be standard on Classics, does anybody know how much the upgrade to disc brakes will be on the non-Classic Airstreams will be?

Minnie's Mate,

I do not know what Airstream would charge for the conversion on a new coach (non Classic).



However I do know that Kodiak has a disc brake system available (as a retrofit) for almost any Airstream ever manufactured. These can be purchased as a kit to be installed by a dealer or a retail customer. I can tell you also that I have had many dealings with the folks at Kodiak and that they are top shelf. They offer many product offerings instead of a “one size fits all” approach. Quality is excellent. Availability has never been a problem. They also stand behind the product and offer excellent customer support.



The only negative that could be pointed out is price. I feel that the price is in line but the cost of the conversion may have a bit of “shock value” to the average individual. However if you really look at the complete picture, over time, the price is not actually a negative.



My two cents.:huh:



Regards,

Henry


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.