Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   76 Sovereign- Updating electrical controls/ batteries, looking for advice. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/76-sovereign-updating-electrical-controls-batteries-looking-for-advice-170312.html)

Scotty033x 07-24-2017 12:46 PM

76 Sovereign- Updating electrical controls/ batteries, looking for advice.

I'm just getting into the electrical systems. Most appears to be working ok. Replaced the (scary) electric tape connected extension cord that was grafted onto the 30 amp shore power cable with a proper 30A plug yesterday and ran off generator while checking things. There is a battery in the compartment, but I'm guessing it is long since passed and won't take a charge. Im wanting to replace and possibly upgrade the battery system to have more power storage. I'd love to go in with a lithium ion battery bank, but don't have $3k laying around, so looking for recommendations. I've listed that along with other things below looking for advice:

1. Replace batteries- brand, size, number of batteries?

2. Most lights inside work, but old bulbs and switches on some don't work well and/or are missing knobs to operate. I don't even know if fans work. Looking for inexpensive LED (haha) replacements for bulbs and new switches? Any advice?

3. There is some backyard/shade tree wiring around the power jack. I think this ties into battery charging as well? Ideally the battery would charge when connected to vehicle OR shore power. Haven't really started trouble shooting this, but would like to. Any info on wiring, wire colors, what color goes where and the like? A good diagram would be great, but owners manual not detailed enough.

featherbedder 07-24-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty033x (Post 1982739)
I'm just getting into the electrical systems. Most appears to be working ok. Replaced the (scary) electric tape connected extension cord that was grafted onto the 30 amp shore power cable with a proper 30A plug yesterday and ran off generator while checking things. There is a battery in the compartment, but I'm guessing it is long since passed and won't take a charge. Im wanting to replace and possibly upgrade the battery system to have more power storage. I'd love to go in with a lithium ion battery bank, but don't have $3k laying around, so looking for recommendations. I've listed that along with other things below looking for advice:

1. Replace batteries- brand, size, number of batteries?

2. Most lights inside work, but old bulbs and switches on some don't work well and/or are missing knobs to operate. I don't even know if fans work. Looking for inexpensive LED (haha) replacements for bulbs and new switches? Any advice?

3. There is some backyard/shade tree wiring around the power jack. I think this ties into battery charging as well? Ideally the battery would charge when connected to vehicle OR shore power. Haven't really started trouble shooting this, but would like to. Any info on wiring, wire colors, what color goes where and the like? A good diagram would be great, but owners manual not detailed enough.

LED replacement bulbs can be pur. on ebay for little money if surf site. I pur. 20 for $10.00 cheapest could find price ranges all over, the ones I pur. and others all work same, no mods needed just insert into light, as far as ceiling lite swt. is avlbe. but knobs don't come with and prob. have to find after market. If old green convertor still there time to replace with new solid state. Bat. will charge from both shore and tv as AS was wired. There is a seller on ebay from Canada that has serv. manuals for many years of AS. I pur. for my 76 AS from him, price I believe $35.00 the manuals cover every thing head to toe for all models AS manf. 1976. AS did not wire umbilical cord on trailer end as to way wired now, just have change position of wires on tv. end of cord to way tv. wired now