Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions.... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/refundable-deposit-on-a-sport-22-nervous-many-questions-168952.html)

OTRA15 07-05-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1972514)
Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.

The refundable deposit was for the old dealer in Chicago -- see OP.

The new dealer is in Ohio, I believe.

The discussion has taken some turns in the road, similar to a good camping trip, but has always ended up heading back toward the original destination.

No worries . . .

:wally:

PS -- AirUSN, welcome to the forum! Have you checked the classifieds here for a used AS near you? [See tab at the top of the page.] We almost bought one that way years ago, but a dealer put a new prior-year model on sale, so we grabbed it. Similarly, the 2018 models are starting to come out, so the 2017 models might be lower in price soon IMO. Good luck!

uncle_bob 07-05-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1972514)
Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.

Hi

... and it seems that specific deposit was refunded a few pages back.

Bob

AirUSN 07-05-2017 09:23 AM

Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

Agree. I was kinda being cheeky with "back in topic" remark given the topic had a little trailer sway going on.

I've been looking at classifieds for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

I noticed last a night dealer had one posted as a demo. (Not on the classified on the dealer site). I was reviewing the various dealer references above and stalking their inventory.

reverie room 07-05-2017 11:37 AM

I wrote another email to the salesman yesterday expecting he would get it today and respond accordingly. I expressed my dissatisfaction with his lack of follow through and lack of communication.

As you might suspect, I never heard from him. I just called the manager and canceled the sale. He was gracious about it. I'm equal parts bereft and relieved.

If this thread did anything, it opened my eyes to how to go about this the right way. It would have been easier if it were meant to be.

Thank you all. Your advice will guide me to do things in a more thoughtful (and successful) way in the future.

All of this fuels me to get an AS but work out TV and other details first.

OTRA15 07-05-2017 12:54 PM

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, and I can relate to your disappointment!

When one door closes, another opens . . .

Personally I would recommend contacting Colonial Airstream and make the trip there. The new model year is out, so earlier models may be well priced. Patrick Botticelli has been helpful in the past FWIW.

Good luck!

Peter

AirUSN 07-05-2017 12:58 PM

Found a new site today - you may already be aware if it.

rtv.com

Rocinante 07-05-2017 03:21 PM

When it's time, it will be time. Meanwhile, keep your eyes peeled for a gently-used trailer in your size / condition / price range. If you move quickly and carefully enough, avoiding any potential scams, you might be able to score a hit. ;)

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:25 PM

Rocinante, I will most assuredly do that...And now with a better understanding of the process. Thank you!

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:25 PM

hi AirUSN, Thanks for the tip... I tried the website and didn't find anything. Could you provide a link? Thank you!

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:29 PM

hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit... My summer is taking a bit of a turn compared to what I thought it would be but I do believe what you said "when one door closes, another opens..." I think living in a climate like New England where the weather comes and you blink, it is gone, that I should have started searching with such determination far earlier than June. Now I know. I am happy to have found so many helpful and friendly people here on air forums, so that is a silver lining to this whole sorted matter. :-)

Troutboy 07-05-2017 07:49 PM

Good luck Reverie!!! It will work out when the time is right. Don't rush it, let it come to you. That's what we did. A twist here, a turn there, then it works out and you pull the trigger. I think you did the right thing, I know it feels bad but your guy was telling you it wasn't time. Keep researching and learning.

SeaLevel 07-05-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1973113)
hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit.

Just FYI... we got what I think was a good deal on our AS from Colonial in December. I suspect that's an off month for them, unless lots of people get Airstreams for Christmas. :D

uncle_bob 07-06-2017 08:59 AM

Hi

From what I've seen, the whole idea that "this dealer has the best prices" is only true on a given day and a specific trailer. They all seem to be willing to get within 2% or so of each other on a "typical" deal. Inventory does vary day to day, so who has what is a variable. Does delivery from afar cost more than 2%? Maybe not, but it does eat into any savings. With most dealers, you will only see the "good price" once you have decided on a specific trailer / car / truck. That's just part of the process. There are some very sound reasons they operate this way.

You *can* get service just about anywhere. You are likely to do a bit better at the dealer that sold you the trailer / car / truck. If nothing else, you will know more people there (to appeal to) when you hit a snag.

Recognize the difference between "shopping mode" and "buying mode". You may shop for something for years. It's what lets you narrow down to a specific item. No commitments in shopping mode. In buying mode, you want everything to go quickly. That might still be months on a special order. It might be a week or less on a stock or used trailer. (inventory goes quick).

Lots of fun !!

Bob

jcanavera 07-07-2017 06:25 AM

When you live afar from any dealership, shopping price is always a good option. However if you have a more local dealership available understand that a local purchase may have its advantages. One of the things is that when obtaining service, a dealer knows if you bought the trailer from them. That speaks volumes when attempting to schedule repairs, costs of parts and accessories, and dealer involvement with Jackson Center with warranty issues. That relationship with that local dealer may come into play over the years of ownership, from giving you discounts and service preference when things break, to their knowledge of you as a customer and the condition of your trailer at trade in time. Those are all "after the sale benefits" that accrue over time.

Jack

Boxite 07-07-2017 05:55 PM

AirUSN wrote: "I'm looking at a 2007 Safari 25FB twin; but also finding out on here the problem points as well. Rethinking used vs. old. ($25500). Yesterday the sales person wanted me to put a deposit, (I'm back on topic) saying they would match my deposit up to $500. I didn't take the bait.

He did quote a for a '17 FC 27FB $93903 down to 77900."

I suggest you offer to place a 50% - down deposit. :lol::lol::lol: (Oh..wait... they'll only go up to $500 .... darn!)

uncle_bob 07-08-2017 08:40 AM

Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob

reverie room 07-09-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 1974319)
Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob

When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!

uncle_bob 07-10-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1974801)
When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!

Hi

That's pretty typical. The "deposit" is actually just part of the negotiation process.

Bob

rmkrum 07-10-2017 11:18 AM

Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

Psychological technique to make you feel locked into completing a deal...

xrvr 07-10-2017 11:20 AM

It also shows if the customer is serious about buying.