Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions.... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/refundable-deposit-on-a-sport-22-nervous-many-questions-168952.html)

reverie room 06-27-2017 06:33 PM

Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

For several years, I have wanted an RV... specifically an airstream. I put it on the back burner because of the price. I joined a Safari Condo private Facebook group as it seemed a more affordable option than the airstream I really wanted. In the end, I thought if I am going to do this, I should do it the way I really want to.

I've been calling dealers all over about gently used Sport 22's... They are gone by the time I call. Snatched up from under me.

I am located in the Boston area... seems hard to come by any decent stock. I called Colonial Airstream about an incoming 2016 (used)... It was sold before it even came in for $42,995. I had a lead on a 2015 at Airstream of Nashua. Gone!

In my mind there were so many impediments to actually getting the Airstream that I feel I have mitigated... (this would be my first RV)

First and foremost, my TV is not adequate. Second, where to visit that I would feel comfortable getting my feet wet RV'ing, Third, how to maintain / winterize the Airstream... Fourth, lack of stock in the model I want.

-- I visited a campground last weekend that I could rent seasonally so it would just be a matter of borrowing my ex-husband's TV which is adequate and has a tow hitch (BMW X5) to get it up there for the season and then at the end of the season bring to a place close by which has indoor service and the ability to do all the things to winterize it that I am not confident to do on my own.

-- I loved this campground and think my kids would too. I could imagine making it our home away from home year in and year out and it has fueled my desire to make the airstream dream a reality.

Because I want to get started this summer (kids at perfect age... time's a wasting)... I am giving up on finding a decently priced used model.

I placed a deposit earlier this evening with Airstream of Chicago for a new 2017 Sport 22FB.

I am equally excited and nervous.

I reserved a UHaul truck with 6000 pound towing capacity to drive it back. Cost: $760 to get it back to Boston (plus whatever my flight out there costs).

The MSRP is $54,900. My negotiated sales price is $45,000. I did not do any back and forth with him. Asked for his best price and that is what he told me. I feel maybe I left some money on the table?

I read Boxite's story about receiving the AS in horrible condition and it made me so worried about buying so far away from home. I really wish I could buy from Airstream of Nashua - very close to home, but they are a tiny dealer with very little stock. After reading Boxite's story, I wondered if I wait and hope a Sport 22 winds up in Nashua... and put this summer's AS dream on the back burner.

One of the replys on that thread was essentially "they don't make 'em like they used to"... ugh...

The deposit is 100% refundable for one week from today so gives me time to think.

First timer / buying far from home / Am I romanticizing it? / could I have negotiated more / Should I even do this????

Thank you

uncle_bob 06-27-2017 06:55 PM

Hi

I would not sweat the "total disaster" side of things. I'd also not plan spending the night in the trailer at the dealer's lot. Have them fix anything you find as an issue the next day. Plan on a < 150 mile drive on the first day. Drive about the same or a bit more on the next couple days. It will take a bit of time getting used to towing. If you can recruit a "co-pilot" for the mission, do so. It will make the whole process much less stressful. Don't rush the process and it all should go pretty well.

For the flight out, I'd check Southwest from Nashua to Midway. Done early it should be pretty cheap.

One thing to consider: Once you have paid for the AS, they should hold if for at least a couple months without charging you for storage. You *might* want to take care of the "new TV" issue before you pick up the new AS. That way you get the whole hitch install / set up thing done when you pick up the trailer.

Bob

pcskier 06-27-2017 07:04 PM

You got 18% off which is not overpaying at all. Some will say you can find deals up to 25% off in certain situations/places/models/dealers but 17% seems to be a common 'fair' number. It is a 2017 so maybe a bit more than 17% could have been negotiated...but maybe not for a Sport that likely has narrower profit margins, and as you have discovered, is very popular.

Having said that, when I first got in the market two years ago, I was frustrated too, and lost several prospects. I did find one, and when I did it turned out to be better than the deals I missed. I have since sold that one and repeated the process, and got an amazing deal on the one I have now. (Both were lightly used).

Have you considered other lengths/models? There are a couple nice Flying Cloud 19's on rv trader under $40,000 lightly used, and also have you seen this sport for under $40,000? https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...22FB-122176663 . I drove 800 miles for my first one and 1700 miles for my second one. Had the sellers do Facetime tours with me inside and out before sending a deposit, and then the deposit was still refundable upon final inspection at pickup.

I can say that without a doubt if you are patient and stay on top of things, something great always comes up.

But on the other hand, you might love having a brand new unit with the warranty, especially if you are concerned about quality issues. That's peace of mind for sure.

Good luck!

ClaysandBird 06-27-2017 07:13 PM

I am in the same boat you are. I put a deposit down on a 2017 23D FC from Colonial. I am picking it up Thursday, spending the night in the lot, and driving back Friday. I negotiated in a refundable deposit upon inspection of the AS.

The thought of driving back from NJ to New Hampshire for my first time is making me nervous. I've never towed anything bigger then a dump cart on a lawn mower.

I wanted to buy from Nashua myself. I liked the salesman, but their lack of ability to call me back and inaccurate hours drove me nuts. I actually went on a Sunday to put a deposit down and they were closed despite the signs saying they were open Sundays.

I've been happy so far with my experience with Colonial. I guess I will know more in a few days. I tend to overthink and stress about every detail. This is going to be a great lesson in letting life unfold.

SteveSueMac 06-27-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1969354)
For several years, I have wanted an RV... specifically an airstream. I put it on the back burner because of the price. I joined a Safari Condo private Facebook group as it seemed a more affordable option than the airstream I really wanted. In the end, I thought if I am going to do this, I should do it the way I really want to. *1

I've been calling dealers all over about gently used Sport 22's... They are gone by the time I call. Snatched up from under me.

I am located in the Boston area... seems hard to come by any decent stock. I called Colonial Airstream about an incoming 2016 (used)... It was sold before it even came in for $42,995. I had a lead on a 2015 at Airstream of Nashua. Gone! *2

In my mind there were so many impediments to actually getting the Airstream that I feel I have mitigated... (this would be my first RV) *3

First and foremost, my TV is not adequate. *4 Second, where to visit that I would feel comfortable getting my feet wet RV'ing, *5 Third, how to maintain / winterize the Airstream... *6 Fourth, lack of stock in the model I want.

-- I visited a campground last weekend that I could rent seasonally so it would just be a matter of borrowing my ex-husband's TV which is adequate and has a tow hitch (BMW X5) to get it up there for the season and then at the end of the season bring to a place close by which has indoor service and the ability to do all the things to winterize it that I am not confident to do on my own.

-- I loved this campground and think my kids would too. I could imagine making it our home away from home year in and year out and it has fueled my desire to make the airstream dream a reality.

Because I want to get started this summer (kids at perfect age... time's a wasting)... I am giving up on finding a decently priced used model.

I placed a deposit earlier this evening with Airstream of Chicago for a new 2017 Sport 22FB.

I am equally excited and nervous. *7

I reserved a UHaul truck with 6000 pound towing capacity to drive it back. Cost: $760 to get it back to Boston (plus whatever my flight out there costs). *8

The MSRP is $54,900. My negotiated sales price is $45,000. I did not do any back and forth with him. Asked for his best price and that is what he told me. I feel maybe I left some money on the table? *9

I read Boxite's story about receiving the AS in horrible condition and it made me so worried about buying so far away from home. I really wish I could buy from Airstream of Nashua - very close to home, but they are a tiny dealer with very little stock. After reading Boxite's story, I wondered if I wait and hope a Sport 22 winds up in Nashua... and put this summer's AS dream on the back burner. *10

One of the replys on that thread was essentially "they don't make 'em like they used to"... ugh...

The deposit is 100% refundable for one week from today so gives me time to think.

First timer / buying far from home / Am I romanticizing it? *11 / could I have negotiated more *12 / Should I even do this???? *13

Thank you

Hello and welcome. You seem to have been bit by the incurable aluminitus bug!

I've numbered 13 areas in your post above with an asterisk and a number - I'll use that number below for my thoughts on your post - take all this with a grain of salt - or an entire salt lick....

1) the way you want must be an Airstream? If so - you're on the right track and everything you've outlined can be worked out. How sure are you it must be an Airstream?

2) they do go fast. If it must be an AS, could Nashua order the one you want? You could talk with folks in local WBCCI clubs like the New England Unit, the White Mountains Unit, Charter Oak, Cape Cod - see if anyone is thinking of selling...

3) meaning - you've addressed things you needed to so you can make this transaction happen? If so - congratulations! Sounds exciting!

4) you have alternate solutions for his and since it sounds like you're not taking it on the road much, rather, seasonally parking at a site and then going in to storage - perhaps you e got that sorted out. Though - the beauty of an AS is its roadworthiness and the opportunity to see everything by hooking up your home on wheels and taking off! So food for thought - if you're going to park it - a different brand might better serve that need for a lot less money. Or - consider some time at that campground and planning on an adequate TV to haul your tin dream around more.

5) see 4 - so much to see!!!! National parks, funky campsites, ocean, desert, mountains, plains, awesome people....

6) this can seem daunting at first but if o can learn - I'm supremely confident you can too. No one is born knowing how to winterize a trailer (or to tow one for that matter) - so you gotta learn it - and once you do - easy peasey!

7) I am FOR you! [emoji3] Completely understandable.

8) if this is the final decision - another alternative is a towing/shipping service - pros and cons there. The pro is no flight, no uhaul, no gas, no liability, no first time drive for a couple days with your new baby. Downsides include you'd really want to be at the dealer for at least a night going over everything making sure all systems work before taking it out, best of you had your own TV to have the hitch setup, etc.

9) I wouldn't worry about it. Average is 20% off MSRP and I think they have more room to wiggle with bigger trailers so you asked for their best and got it. Sounds good to me.

10) another reason to be there for the inspection and even consider asking someone from the forums with experience in the Chicago area to help you inspect it. You'll hear horror stories here and when it's bad, it's a bummer. Rarely do people pop on to say how great everything is working - but I suspect it's not as bad as the setup of the forums suggests...there might be other reasons to put your plan on hold - like - thinking about a different brand if you're just going to park it, talking with local WBCCI units to see about used inventory, etc.

11) yes [emoji3] that's the best part!

12) see 9 above

13) only you can answer that [emoji3]

Again - take with a salt lick. One guy's thoughts - your mileage can, will, and should vary.

Good luck!!

uncle_bob 06-27-2017 07:27 PM

Hi

With Colonial, the "overnight in the lot" *is* part of the deal. I would very much recommend taking them up on it. The entire process on our AS went very well there.

Bob

reverie room 06-27-2017 07:55 PM

hi Bob,
Thank you for your reply... Actually, thank you to everyone for replying... it is incredibly heartening to have the advice at this juncture.

After reading your note about the TV, I went online to learn more about this aspect... and what I learned was not such great news with regard to using a UHaul to tow the AS back to Massachusetts. Apparently there are laws around needing tow brakes... I had explained to the UHaul representative what I was up to and he was hunky dory about reserving a unit. I am now questioning quite a bit whether using a UHaul is safe, prudent or legal...

I appreciate the vote of confidence very much about not getting all doom and gloom about what can go wrong.

As for upgrading to a suitable TV before getting the AS... my budget doesn't allow for that at this point. When my daughter gets her license in 1.5 years, I am planning to get another vehicle that would be suitable as a TV for a smaller AS.

Thank you very much Bob!

reverie room 06-27-2017 07:58 PM

peskier... Thank you! I am wondering if I am being impulsive - it has been frustrating for sure to have them disappear so quickly. I am considering sending a message to the Florida owner you sent a link on as it is the SAME exact interior color as the one in Chicago and that was one of the things that sealed the deal for me on that particular unit. I was hoping to avoid beige/brown. The price was $39,995 and said negotiable. Will let you know what I learn. Thank you very much for linking that to me.

reverie room 06-27-2017 07:59 PM

that was suppose to be pcskier NOT peskier (auto correct)

uncle_bob 06-27-2017 08:03 PM

Hi

Being a bit worried about this is not at all unusual. It's a big decision in more than one way. Don't let the concern about a relatively rare defect issue on a trailer distract you from the larger issues of getting a proper TV and hitch setup.

Bob

reverie room 06-27-2017 08:05 PM

claysandbird,
oh my! your experience in Nashua mirrors mine! Drove up there with my son and his friend and felt absolutely terrible that they were closed. We wandered around the parking lot, peaking inside various units. We ended up finding someone inside of one of them (the Sport 22FB that I was after!! she had purchased it a month earlier and it was still listed on their website for sale -- she was a total character - has been living in the parking lot for a month and now goes by Tincan Annie. Loved her so I guess not a total loss going to Nashua. She sung the praises of the staff, mostly especially "Uncle Jerry" (who did not return my phone call!).

Meanwhile Pat from Colonial Airstream responded lightning quick but not much to offer me. Was trying to avoid the big price step up for a Flying Cloud and I like the layout of the Sport 22.

It is nice to know someone is in the same boat. Thank you so much for responding...

RandyNH 06-27-2017 08:06 PM

If you search around on here, you'll find someone had rented a 3/4 ton pickup, from Enterprise or one of those, maybe from their commercial division, to get a large tow setup with a 7 pin connector. I think I remember from about 2-3 months back.

Good luck

Crazycanucks 06-27-2017 08:13 PM

For 5k or so more than the used one buy the new one ... full warranty ( gives you two full seasons to work out the kinks and get them fixed free) and and one year newer which will get you the 5k back if you decide to sell it [emoji256]

reverie room 06-27-2017 08:17 PM

SteveSueMac,
oh my gosh... I cannot thank you enough for the encouragement...
As for whether the AS is the only think I would consider, not really...
My son spends a lot of time looking with me and we have considered numerous options but always come back to the AS because of stylishness (which I will admit is a big thing for me - I just cringe at the beige / polyester fabric in so many RV's... not sure why the industry hasn't updated their look?? .. I thought that I could have a seamstress make new cushions covers for me and I would still be thousands under the cost of an AS, but I like the idea of buying something that will hold its value better than everything else out there).

As for parking it... I would eventually like to hit the open road. I think the idea of the nice campground in Maine which is close by to several friends who I know I could count on to visit me is a comfort... My goal would be to hit the open road when my daughter is off to college (she is not interested in long road trips, but my younger son is).

I think being in that camp ground is a way of putting a toe in the water in a safe way and also buys me some time to get the appropriate TV (not something I can do right now).

I wholeheartedly agree that going to Chicago is something that I should 100% do. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase of this magnitude and sitting at home wondering what is going on, is it going to make it back okay. Will I give up my opportunity to learn all the ins and outs, etc.

Thank you again for your thoughtful response. Much appreciated. Will keep you posted on how it all works out.

reverie room 06-27-2017 08:20 PM

crazycanucks... you make a good point!

RandyNH... I had just come across that option with the Enterprise 3/4 ton truck. I think they don't let you return in a different location so I would be looking at driving out there AND back and while I don't mind driving it makes me wonder if there is a better way??

DKB_SATX 06-27-2017 09:36 PM

So, I'm still working full time, and recently purchased a new Airstream from Colonial... and I live in Texas. I have the advantage of being able to work remotely, so I just made a road trip of it. I didn't have the extra challenge you do about the tow vehicle, so I just drove my own truck up there. I made a long, easy road trip of it on the way back... I stayed 2 nights at Colonial, and the few things that needed to be addressed were corrected promptly after my walk-through. Find out what comes in your "starter kit" from the dealer, and especially if you're going to be driving a rental out there and back again make a point to take what you need for a comfy trip home (or plan to buy stuff, if you don't already have things like sheets and cookware for the trailer, etc.)

Several months and 3500 miles of travel and 19 nights spent in the Flying Cloud, we're entirely satisfied with our purchase.

reverie room 06-28-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1969420)
So, I'm still working full time, and recently purchased a new Airstream from Colonial... and I live in Texas. I have the advantage of being able to work remotely, so I just made a road trip of it. I didn't have the extra challenge you do about the tow vehicle, so I just drove my own truck up there. I made a long, easy road trip of it on the way back... I stayed 2 nights at Colonial, and the few things that needed to be addressed were corrected promptly after my walk-through. Find out what comes in your "starter kit" from the dealer, and especially if you're going to be driving a rental out there and back again make a point to take what you need for a comfy trip home (or plan to buy stuff, if you don't already have things like sheets and cookware for the trailer, etc.)

Several months and 3500 miles of travel and 19 nights spent in the Flying Cloud, we're entirely satisfied with our purchase.

Thank you DKB_SATX... sounds like it has gone sooo well for you. I started second guessing (after reading Bob's messages and doing some research) whether I've worked out all the impediments to getting the AS since I don't have a proper TV.. I guess in reading so many forum posts last night too about declining quality. I've saved up to purchase this with cash but I'm not in a position to change my current automobile ... self doubt setting in.

OTRA15 06-28-2017 09:06 AM

No harm in waiting until the timing and finances are right.

When The Force Is With You, you will know it . . .

:sorcerer:

uncle_bob 06-28-2017 09:48 AM

Hi

We spent a good 40 years going around the "should we / shouldn't we" loop. At various points we picked up this and that. Now that we finally pulled the trigger, the main question is: Why didn't we do this ten years ago?

Bob

reverie room 06-28-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 1969598)
Hi

We spent a good 40 years going around the "should we / shouldn't we" loop. At various points we picked up this and that. Now that we finally pulled the trigger, the main question is: Why didn't we do this ten years ago?

Bob

So an update... in hope of not saying "why didn't I do this ten years earlier"... I made a deal. Gave a deposit. Done deal! I decided that Illinois was simply too far away to make the deal work under my circumstances without a proper total vehicle. I ended up buying a 2018 model, so a year newer and my price is $45,600 so $600 more than the 2017, BUT that includes delivery to my house. They are literally going to bring it to me! I am beyond thrilled with the price as well as the fact that I don't have to figure out how to get this back on my own as a first timer. I will be able to gently ease into learning the ropes.

I am super excited and so is my son who has been by my side through all the ups and downs and looking, going here and there and everywhere looking at campers.

I love my sales man at Haydocy airstream in Columbus Ohio (660 miles from me, rather than 1120 of Chicago airstream). He is going to take a full walk-through video showing me everything and how to do operational stuff. So that eases my mind that I cannot be there.

Thank you all!

uncle_bob 06-28-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1969604)
So an update... in hope of not saying "why didn't I do this ten years earlier"... I made a deal. Gave a deposit. Done deal! I decided that Illinois was simply too far away to make the deal work under my circumstances without a proper total vehicle. I ended up buying a 2018 model, so a year newer and my price is $45,600 so $600 more than the 2017, BUT that includes delivery to my house. They are literally going to bring it to me! I am beyond thrilled with the price as well as the fact that I don't have to figure out how to get this back on my own as a first timer. I will be able to gently ease into learning the ropes.

I am super excited and so is my son who has been by my side through all the ups and downs and looking, going here and there and everywhere looking at campers.

I love my sales man at Haydocy airstream in Columbus Ohio (660 miles from me, rather than 1120 of Chicago airstream). He is going to take a full walk-through video showing me everything and how to do operational stuff. So that eases my mind that I cannot be there.

Thank you all!

Hi

That sounds like a *much* better solution !!! Congratulations.

Bob

Hans627 06-28-2017 10:24 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Especially avoiding the towing issue at this point.

I'm also glad to hear that you decided to get your AS. I am one of those who also said, "I wish we would have done this 10 years ago!"

Did you order the 22 Sport?

Congrats!

reverie room 06-28-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans627 (Post 1969624)
Sounds like a good plan. Especially avoiding the towing issue at this point.

I'm also glad to hear that you decided to get your AS. I am one of those who also said, "I wish we would have done this 10 years ago!"

Did you order the 22 Sport?

Congrats!

Hi! Yes I got the sport 22, model year 2018. So excited! Thank you very much for your well wishes. Let the adventures begin!

DKB_SATX 06-28-2017 10:42 AM

Consider doing a "hybrid" delivery solution... fly or drive to Haydocy when the trailer is delivered to them. Stay a night in it in their parking lot, use all the systems, do the walkthrough in-person with your salesman (or their orientation person, if they have someone dedicated to that) so you'll both have a hands-on intro to the trailer and have the chance to see if there are any items you need them to address before bringing you the trailer. Once you're happy with the trailer and its condition, they can deliver it to you on their schedule.

reverie room 06-28-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1969629)
Consider doing a "hybrid" delivery solution... fly or drive to Haydocy when the trailer is delivered to them. Stay a night in it in their parking lot, use all the systems, do the walkthrough in-person with your salesman (or their orientation person, if they have someone dedicated to that) so you'll both have a hands-on intro to the trailer and have the chance to see if there are any items you need them to address before bringing you the trailer. Once you're happy with the trailer and its condition, they can deliver it to you on their schedule.

Oh my gosh! This is what I love about this site. That did not occur to me… I could simply drive out there and my regular old car and do the walk-through with them, deliver the check in person, makes so much sense. I drove out to Cincinnati last fall to watch game five of the patriots… I don't think it's probably much more driving than that. And that was nothing.

SteveSueMac 06-28-2017 10:53 AM

Wonderful! What great news! Congrats!

uncle_bob 06-28-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1969630)
Oh my gosh! This is what I love about this site. That did not occur to me… I could simply drive out there and my regular old car and do the walk-through with them, deliver the check in person, makes so much sense. I drove out to Cincinnati last fall to watch game five of the patriots… I don't think it's probably much more driving than that. And that was nothing.

Hi

If you drive over in person, try to take along a second pair of eyes. The orientation process is a "sensory overload" sort of thing. You can reduce this a bit by watching all the videos. It's still a massive amount of information to get in a couple of hours.

It was suggested to us that we video the whole thing. That turned out to be impractical, we both were to focused on the presentation. Some sort of action camera on a head mount might have worked. A hand held cell phone did not work for us.

Even with the orientation, there still will be questions that come up. That's what this forum is great for. If you only retain 80% of the information, that's pretty normal. You have the written manuals, lots of posts here, YouTube videos, and forum questions to back it all up.

Bob

CLKIESER 06-28-2017 11:41 AM

I am so excited for you! We bought ours as a knee jerk to seeing it and then 'I gotta have it' - but I sure felt your anguish reading this thread. I am a woman who travels alone when my hubbie can't join me, and I love it! If there is any way you can take the hybrid solution to your purchase, go for it. It will be a great start to your relationship with your new love. Many happy miles to you and your family!

OTRA15 06-28-2017 12:49 PM

Congratulations on the order! Assume you are familiar with Patrick's walk-through videos of most models, incl. this 22FB Sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrcIaycZvOc

There are other videos of similar 22' models.

Happy Trails!

Peter

ellenbelle 06-28-2017 05:23 PM

Good deal

I didnt read through everyone's reply... but I do think, as someone who sells Airstreams in CA, that you got a very good deal. Not a lot of money left on the table at all. Also the 22 Sport is probably one of the most popular models... it's a great first Airstream. I'm sure you're going to love it!! Start patting yourself on the back for making the decision and start enjoying your adventure!!

DKB_SATX 06-28-2017 07:10 PM

I submit that you would be wise to also consider the pronounced tendency of people to comment much more often and much more loudly about any negative experience (their own experience AND those of others) than a positive one, and to consider the number of people who own newish Airstreams for whom the sky has not fallen. It is also often useful to consider the signal-to-noise ratio of your sources of information and concern, we all have our particular perspectives on things.

I speak for no one but myself. There were a few minor issues with my Flying Cloud when I inspected it at Colonial, and they were address to my satisfaction promptly. Specifically, there were some handprints on the ceiling apparently from the installation of the LED puck lights, the support strut for the bumper trunk didn't work smoothly, and the LED light strip under the awning was pulled away from the awning guard, which allowed it to be damaged a bit when the awning was operated. Frankly if the house I had built to my specifications for significantly more than 2x the cost of my Flying Cloud had started with a punchlist that short I would've been delighted. I don't mean to suggest that no one has had a worse experience than I have, I simply offer a single datapoint for my ACTUAL experience.

Kittycatcat 06-28-2017 09:02 PM

I second DKB_SATX. You'll hear from way more people with problems because they're on the forums looking for solutions. For those who have no problems, they generally don't post "everything's fine, what do I do now?" :unsure:

My husband & I bought our 2016 27fb a year ago and have had zero leaks. We did have to replace the gas regulator (bought new one locally and AS sent me a check for the cost). Also, one Fantastic fan moisture sensor refused to work at first, but apparently changed its mind a few days later and has been fine ever since. Hubby also repositioned a few misplaced screws on the dinette bench underpinnings - they work better if they're actually screwed into something. :lol:

Otherwise, smooth sailing for several thousand miles.

Now, compare that to our last SOB (also bought new), well, it was a race to keep replacing faucets/drawers/mattress/etc. with stuff that actually worked.

Enjoy your new Airstream. You did good.

Troutboy 06-28-2017 10:29 PM

I agree, plenty of issues and quality complaints, but just as many happy campers. We bought 2017 23D in dec16. I've done many mods already and found some subpar work and cleanup. But all in all it has been good. Remember you have a two year warranty. Mine goes in to the dealer in a few weeks to fix the door and the awning. They work, but not perfect for me, so back in the shop and it will be fixed. I'm a first timer and would do it again all over. We love it.

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutboy (Post 1970056)
I agree, plenty of issues and quality complaints, but just as many happy campers. We bought 2017 23D in dec16. I've done many mods already and found some subpar work and cleanup. But all in all it has been good. Remember you have a two year warranty. Mine goes in to the dealer in a few weeks to fix the door and the awning. They work, but not perfect for me, so back in the shop and it will be fixed. I'm a first timer and would do it again all over. We love it.

So glad to hear you love your AS! And also that you (like me) are a first timer!!

Yesterday I spoke to airstream of Chicago about getting my deposit back (they were incredibly nice about everything and it was regrettable to back out with them but very much the right thing for me to do)... I mentioned to the manager about them being so far away if I had to bring it in for service -- he said that airstream pays their dealers a 30% premium for work done on trailers that were NOT purchased there and that it is expressly prohibited to deny service to someone who bought elsewhere. I thought that was interesting and another piece of the puzzle falling into place as if I have serviceable warranty items it will be worlds easier to take it in locally.

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittycatcat (Post 1970023)
I second DKB_SATX. You'll hear from way more people with problems because they're on the forums looking for solutions. For those who have no problems, they generally don't post "everything's fine, what do I do now?" :unsure:

My husband & I bought our 2016 27fb a year ago and have had zero leaks. We did have to replace the gas regulator (bought new one locally and AS sent me a check for the cost). Also, one Fantastic fan moisture sensor refused to work at first, but apparently changed its mind a few days later and has been fine ever since. Hubby also repositioned a few misplaced screws on the dinette bench underpinnings - they work better if they're actually screwed into something. :lol:

Otherwise, smooth sailing for several thousand miles.

Now, compare that to our last SOB (also bought new), well, it was a race to keep replacing faucets/drawers/mattress/etc. with stuff that actually worked.

Enjoy your new Airstream. You did good.

Hi kittycatcat- I totally get what you mean that you'll find more complaints on the forums... just human nature to rant /seek help when there's an issue vs. when there is smooth sailing.

Can I ask?... how did you know the gas regulator needed replacing? I worry that not bring mechanically inclined I will miss that sort of thing...

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1969950)
I submit that you would be wise to also consider the pronounced tendency of people to comment much more often and much more loudly about any negative experience (their own experience AND those of others) than a positive one, and to consider the number of people who own newish Airstreams for whom the sky has not fallen. It is also often useful to consider the signal-to-noise ratio of your sources of information and concern, we all have our particular perspectives on things.

I speak for no one but myself. There were a few minor issues with my Flying Cloud when I inspected it at Colonial, and they were address to my satisfaction promptly. Specifically, there were some handprints on the ceiling apparently from the installation of the LED puck lights, the support strut for the bumper trunk didn't work smoothly, and the LED light strip under the awning was pulled away from the awning guard, which allowed it to be damaged a bit when the awning was operated. Frankly if the house I had built to my specifications for significantly more than 2x the cost of my Flying Cloud had started with a punchlist that short I would've been delighted. I don't mean to suggest that no one has had a worse experience than I have, I simply offer a single datapoint for my ACTUAL experience.

Thank you very much for the positive counter point... I guess the take away from all of this is to be vigilant to detect whatever issues come up while under warranty (honestly for me, being a first timer I'm glad I'm buying new, less wonder and worry about what can go wrong and how much $$ it will cost me to fix it).

It does sound like airstream should evaluate their process with an eye of maintaining (or improving) build quality. I spoke to my sales person at Haydocy about some of the things I'd learned on here... including AS workers leaving candy bar wrappers inside the unit (obviously an easy fix for the new owner BUT imo, this is such a terrible example of apathy and disrespect and so easy to NOT do this. The sales person said vehemently that he has never seen this. I asked him when he was going through and checking everything to pleeaassee treat it like a unit that was going to his mom (or grandma but I don't think I'm that old or he's that young). Anyway that was before the "hybrid solution" was out on the table which I think makes enormous sense.

Thank you again, most esoecially for your encouragement and positivity!

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellenbelle (Post 1969898)
I didnt read through everyone's reply... but I do think, as someone who sells Airstreams in CA, that you got a very good deal. Not a lot of money left on the table at all. Also the 22 Sport is probably one of the most popular models... it's a great first Airstream. I'm sure you're going to love it!! Start patting yourself on the back for making the decision and start enjoying your adventure!!

Thank you Ellenbelle! I am super excited... I've thought about this for years but when I finally made the decision it felt a little impulsive. I have a bit of a learning curve ahead but so looking forward to the adventures!! I'm glad you think I did well on the price. His first quote was $45600 plus delivery - I asked if he could do a bit better and his second quote was to include the delivery and I was very very happy about that.

Thank you again.

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1969737)
Congratulations on the order! Assume you are familiar with Patrick's walk-through videos of most models, incl. this 22FB Sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrcIaycZvOc

There are other videos of similar 22' models.

Happy Trails!

Peter

Thank you Peter... yes, I watched Patrick's videos! He does an amazing job. Thank you for the link!!

reverie room 06-29-2017 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLKIESER (Post 1969682)
I am so excited for you! We bought ours as a knee jerk to seeing it and then 'I gotta have it' - but I sure felt your anguish reading this thread. I am a woman who travels alone when my hubbie can't join me, and I love it! If there is any way you can take the hybrid solution to your purchase, go for it. It will be a great start to your relationship with your new love. Many happy miles to you and your family!

Thank you so much!!

Kittycatcat 06-29-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1970085)
Hi kittycatcat- I totally get what you mean that you'll find more complaints on the forums... just human nature to rant /seek help when there's an issue vs. when there is smooth sailing.

Can I ask?... how did you know the gas regulator needed replacing? I worry that not bring mechanically inclined I will miss that sort of thing...

Actually this one was hard NOT to miss. LOL - the gas appliances wouldn't work, no hissing, nothing, so knew gas wasn't getting to appliances. They were working at the dealer and on our 1-night local shakedown cruise, but then right before longer trip, went to switch on refrigerator to propane, checked stove burner, bam, nothing.

Turns out a bit of research showed that the regulator that came on our trailer was recalled (thank you dealer for not telling us :angry:) - borrowed the old one from our old SOB that we hadn't sold yet, went on trip, came back, bought new regulator so SOB could have the old one back. Called the company that made the regulator, just got a bunch of lies and empty promises of delivering replacement. Called Airstream and got a reimbursement check.

It's not a difficult install - and any mechanic (or handy spouse), not necessarily AS, can do it.

Also, when something stops working, and you're not sure why or what to do, just get it checked by someone - mechanic, handy friend, any knowledgable person. Often, it's a process of elimination - try the simple fix (in this case regulator), if that works, yay. If not, move on to each next step - you don't have to (and can't be) an expert in everything, so don't sweat it.

You will learn, and people are always willing to help out - many people at campgrounds are especially good about that sort of thing, they're great neighbors!

reverie room 06-29-2017 09:34 AM

oops... mis-attribution

So, I realized something... In my Original Post, I attributed the horrow story I read about to Boxite... I just went back to look at that post and realized Boxite had been the last person to respond to the OP and I mistakenly saw this as his message.... I just wanted to clear that up and my apologies for the misstep!

Also, will take the time to thank you all profusely for helping me start this journey!

Boxite 06-29-2017 09:39 AM

If you plan to have someone else deliver it to you... don't forget to discuss insurance with them and your underwriter/agent. Should the worst occur... the last thing you need is ownership of a wrecked AS and a long wait for replacement and/or repair.

Ideally... you might need a clause for them to deliver a complete replacement unit should a tragedy occur. Also, don't forget about any liability should an injury occur during the delivery.

uncle_bob 06-29-2017 09:57 AM

Hi

Hmmm ..... yes..... insurance. Yet another swamp to deal with.

Some people try to keep all their insurance with one company. That way any "this is covered there" issues all go to the same destination. It usually works with a range of outfits for cars, trucks, and homes. RV's turn out to be a whole different world (for some). If you are trying to keep things all with one outfit, check if they are familiar with RV's or not first. If they aren't .... look elsewhere. If you normally buy your polices piecemeal, then you can ignore all of this.

Bob

jcanavera 06-29-2017 11:58 AM

RV insurance is something you should shop for rather than just using who your auto is insured with. You might check with Progressive who has some good coverage. On a new build you can get 5 year replacement of a comparable Airstream for the first 5 years, then years 6 on a total loss you will be reimbursed the purchase price of your trailer no matter the age. So if my 14 year old Classic would be totaled, the settlement would be the cost of the trailer that I paid. No depreciation! They also have a small premium roadside service package that will change tires and also tow your trailer and/or tow vehicle. So if the tow vehicle is disabled, they will also tow the Airstream. For those of us who live or travel in hail zones, the replacement coverage policy can save you. You can always opt for a market value coverage which will depreciate the trailer with age, or an agreed value policy.

Jack

reverie room 06-30-2017 03:08 AM

RV Insurance in Massachusetts... searching for a unicorn

Boxite, uncle bob and jcanavera,
Thank you for flagging insurance as an issue... the salesman had asked for my auto policy number. I (wrongly) assumed that it would just be a matter of adding it to my auto policy.

Apparently RV insurance in Massachusetts is not "a thing".... I have my auto with safety because that's who I have my homeowners with. I've got my homeowners with safety as they are the only insurer i could get living within 1/2 mile of the ocean which is considered a flood zone.

From what I understand in reading through threads is that your AS would be covered as part of your auto policy while towing it and by your homeowners while it is parked (Iike seasonally in a campground), but only if the camper is not registered. In Mass, any RV over 3000 pounds must be registered.

Conundrum...

There aren't many companies that offer insurance here. Late last night I found one small agency that seems to specialize in RV insurance in MA and NH (Georgetown Insurance). Planning to call them when they're open. I spent some time on the phone with my insurance agent yesterday who said I need the VIN before she can track down insurance for me. The paperwork is supposed to have been overnighted to me which would mean I'd receive it yesterday (I did not)...

Hoping this will be sorted out today. I held off on making any holiday weekend plans in case I need to drive to Columbus but time seems very compressed now.

Who knew there would be so much involved??!! (Clearly all of you did... me?, not so much).

RandyNH 06-30-2017 04:49 AM

Check with Amica, we've had them for 25 years, didn't need RV until move from MA to NH so not sure if offered in MA the other is Progressive, they insure everything, but I'm not sure if they operate in MA.

uncle_bob 06-30-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyNH (Post 1970576)
Check with Amica, we've had them for 25 years, didn't need RV until move from MA to NH so not sure if offered in MA the other is Progressive, they insure everything, but I'm not sure if they operate in MA.

Hi

We have had everything through Amica for a lot of years. I must admit, they asked some weird questions when we added the AS. I don't think the gal we had on the phone had ever done an policy on a TT before ....They have always been great in the past, this time I'm wondering a bit. I've never had an RV claim with them, but they have done very well on car, truck, and home claims.

Bob

reverie room 06-30-2017 07:20 AM

Thank you both... will check with Amica. Progressive is a NO for Massachusetts - too bad.

reverie room 06-30-2017 08:04 AM

Update: so I decided to call Progressive anyway. The person said their direct sales does not sell policies in Mass but that he would check if there are any agencies in Massachusetts that write RV policies with progressive. Answer: YES! Waiting for a call back as she was tied up

reverie room 06-30-2017 12:18 PM

I am learning that I think replacement cost is not something offered in Massachusetts. I feel like a red-headed step child. :-(

jsfranchek 06-30-2017 09:52 PM

I am outside of Boston too. Just made a deposit on a 2016 22 Sport today. $42,000. Purchased from Colonial. We were looking at one in Michigan (from a really nice couple), one in Nashua from the dealer there, but ended up with Patrick at Colonial. We are going down next week to inspect. (Can we get anything for you or do anything while we are there?) But nevertheless I would love to talk and learn the types together. I am so thrilled to get an Airstream as it was always on my bucket list. It feels so great to actually make a decision about one. Please get in touch. (jsfranchek@gmail.com).

reverie room 07-01-2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfranchek (Post 1970936)
I am outside of Boston too. Just made a deposit on a 2016 22 Sport today. $42,000. Purchased from Colonial. We were looking at one in Michigan (from a really nice couple), one in Nashua from the dealer there, but ended up with Patrick at Colonial. We are going down next week to inspect. (Can we get anything for you or do anything while we are there?) But nevertheless I would love to talk and learn the types together. I am so thrilled to get an Airstream as it was always on my bucket list. It feels so great to actually make a decision about one. Please get in touch. (jsfranchek@gmail.com).

That is so exciting! I think you might have got the 2016 that I called Colonial about!! I will send you an email so we can keep in touch. I think mine won't get here until after the 4th. And the one in Nashua, I saw that one too but it was sold a month ago and they didn't update their website.

So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!

Troutboy 07-01-2017 07:01 AM

That is interesting that he told you they pay 30% premium for no. Dealer purchase service. I wonder if this is true Kris he was just trying to sell you on it.

Most dealers give preference to those that bought from them in terms of time. For example, I got an appointment for service for my door and it was 3 weeks out, and a friend called who didn't buy there and his wait time was several months.

If what the salesman stated is true, I would think every dealer would schedule the non purchase AS as soon as possible. I would if it were my business and I got 30% more.

Anyone else ever hear of this?

reverie room 07-01-2017 07:08 AM

Maybe ellenbelle could shed some light on this? I found it curious as well.

STREMN 07-01-2017 07:11 AM

Lot's of Lip Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1970965)
So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!

Just sharing our experience with Nashua. It's a lot of Lip Service. It's a very, very small operation that is focused on delivery of new units$$$$.

Routine maintenance service is very, very, very low on the priority list. The mechanic is so focused on delivery prep of new units he doesn't have a lot of free time for routine service.

All the best with your quest!

reverie room 07-01-2017 07:50 AM

Stremn... so glad to know that. It is sort of what I figured... was thinking the trip to NJ seemed like a good idea. Is that what you tend to do?

jsfranchek 07-01-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

That is so exciting! I think you might have got the 2016 that I called Colonial about!! I will send you an email so we can keep in touch. I think mine won't get here until after the 4th. And the one in Nashua, I saw that one too but it was sold a month ago and they didn't update their website.

Good luck!!!!

Thank you. I will look for the email.

Boxite 07-01-2017 09:45 AM

So.... why would a selling-dealer want to perform warranty-work on a unit he sold.... when he could make 30% MORE on one he didn't. Sounds like salesman-B.S. to me.

If I were buying NEW... I'd buy from either Colonial (NJ) or Foley (AL). Both those dealers have wonderful reviews from their many, REPEAT customers.

RR...(reverie room)... I think you should contact Good Sam for insurance...or perhaps RV America... which are both RV-specific organizations. Also, you might make certain your delivery service is insured and insist that the sale is not final until it's in YOUR possession at your place.

STREMN 07-01-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1971017)
Stremn... so glad to know that. It is sort of what I figured... was thinking the trip to NJ seemed like a good idea. Is that what you tend to do?

We ended up picking up a lightly used one owner trailer. After our "experience' with Nashua we'd never go back there. With that said our unit is not under warranty being a 2008.

In general any "good" RV Mechanic/Tech can repair the systems in an AirStream. We've taken to repairs and general maintenance ourselves. If a major issue comes along we'll source other "reliable" vendors.

During our search for the "right" trailer we traveled to NY, NJ and FL. This was mostly educational for us. If we were going to make a purchase again I'd definitely go back to NJ.:D

Wolfie321 07-01-2017 11:53 AM

Warranty Work-Check Up

Quote:

Good luck!!!!

Picked up the trailer near Medford Oregon and did some traveling about for a week or two. Had some work done in Portland that needed to be done after spending the week shaking it up. Took off for California (my home) noticed some more items that needed to be done and started a list.

The most difficult part about the process was finding a dealer/service department that an open appointment at this time of year. Found dealer in New Mexico and decided to run with it as we were headed there anyhow. Arrived at dealer in NM and they took care of all the items. After some more time on the road there are more repairs and fine tuning of warranty items to be done. Was able to make an appointment in Denver and / or Salt Lake City in late July.

So far so good with all the dealers / service centers. Will stop in Denver or Salt Lake on the way back to California. Also, AS suggests a 5k check up. Will have that done as well.

On the road since March...

Best,

Scott

reverie room 07-02-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1971062)
So.... why would a selling-dealer want to perform warranty-work on a unit he sold.... when he could make 30% MORE on one he didn't. Sounds like salesman-B.S. to me.

If I were buying NEW... I'd buy from either Colonial (NJ) or Foley (AL). Both those dealers have wonderful reviews from their many, REPEAT customers.

RR...(reverie room)... I think you should contact Good Sam for insurance...or perhaps RV America... which are both RV-specific organizations. Also, you might make certain your delivery service is insured and insist that the sale is not final until it's in YOUR possession at your place.

I guess one really has to wonder about that 30% premium... I hate to think (and tend not to believe) that someone would lie directly to me. I hope that's not the case but I see what you mean... it doesn't really make sense. I guess in retrospect, i should have questioned the statement.

I love your suggestion of asking that ownership transfers to me after delivery.. I wonder if they'd go for COD.

OTRA15 07-02-2017 07:19 AM

IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter

Boxite 07-02-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1971362)
IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter

And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition. Any delivery-service would have insurance on the freight. My glass table-top ordered two weeks ago has been damaged twice now by FedEx and FedEx has notified me such in mid-shipment and made all returns and obtained the replacement (which they've also damaged enroute....)... the point being that getting it to me in good condition is THEIR for-profit-business and therefore THEIR problem ... NOT MINE.
Taking acceptance at the dealer makes the delivery reverie-rooms problem....the VERY THING she is trying to avoid. If she wishes to take that responsibility.... I'd suggest she get someone experienced in towing to accompany her to insure it, then go pick it up, and teach her how to tow on the way home.

OTRA15 07-02-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1971419)
And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition.
. . .

Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.

reverie room 07-02-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1971439)
Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.

My plan is to get them to assume as much responsibility as possible. I will surely keep you posted.

uncle_bob 07-03-2017 06:14 AM

Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. The last thing they would want to do is to haul it 800 miles, not get paid and then haul it 800 miles back. On the other hand if you *do* hand them a check, you very much want to have title.

I'd bet you have a back and forth via Fed Ex to work out a bunch of paperwork ahead of time. You then will have a final process at the dealer if you go there. It's not an ideal setup from your standpoint. It is the way it is normally done.

Bob

OTRA15 07-03-2017 08:59 AM

Well said Bob.

Rocinante 07-03-2017 09:52 AM

I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: https://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

playc 07-03-2017 03:34 PM

[QUOTE
I wholeheartedly agree that going to Chicago is something that I should 100% do. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase of this magnitude and sitting at home wondering what is going on, is it going to make it back okay. Will I give up my opportunity to learn all the ins and outs, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations and best wishes on your new AS. Bet you will have a great time driving to and back. Please do share your experience and we like to learn from you. We will be driving 1200 miles one way from Houston to pickup Sport 22FB in Florida late August. It will be our first AS ...

reverie room 07-04-2017 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocinante (Post 1971832)
I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: https://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing the blog post... what an incredibly detailed list. Frighteningly long too! Thank you!

reverie room 07-04-2017 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 1971755)
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. The last thing they would want to do is to haul it 800 miles, not get paid and then haul it 800 miles back. On the other hand if you *do* hand them a check, you very much want to have title.

I'd bet you have a back and forth via Fed Ex to work out a bunch of paperwork ahead of time. You then will have a final process at the dealer if you go there. It's not an ideal setup from your standpoint. It is the way it is normally done.

Bob

I think the real issue here is that I don't have a TV... and in terms of how things are normally done, I bet my situation is out of the ordinary.

I appreciate all the advice to go out there. It seems the thing to do.

My issue at this point is that I began negotiating in June with the expectation I'd have the AS in early July. The sales person said he would overnight paperwork to me (I have received nothing). I sent him an email with a list of questions, one of which was asking his schedule to accommodate a visit from me to do the orientation in person, he never responded. I sent another email the following morning and did not hear from him so I called and spoke to him. He claimed to not receive my first email but then referenced my question about coming out there and assured me it wouldn't be necessary.

I have some stuff going on next week that will prevent me from going out to Ohio or receiving the AS so looking at the third week in July before I have the AS.

Considering my lack of TV, my plan is to bring it to a camp ground for a seasonal site rental. The later in the summer that I get the AS the less palatable that plan seems as I will get very little time before I pay for winterizing and storage and lose a year of warranty.

My original thought was that if I waited for the timing to be perfect then I'd likely never get the AS... I still feel that way yet through this thread the gravity of how imperfect my situation is hitting me. Layer on top of that, the salesman who appears to be flaking out on me... not having the most optimistic outlook at this point.

On a positive note, happy birthday to our amazing country! (which I hope to see one day from an AS... which would necessitate having a bonafide TV).

OTRA15 07-04-2017 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1972188)
. . .
My original thought was that if I waited for the timing to be perfect then I'd likely never get the AS... I still feel that way yet through this thread the gravity of how imperfect my situation is hitting me. Layer on top of that, the salesman who appears to be flaking out on me... not having the most optimistic outlook at this point.
. . .

Remain calm . . .

All is One!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1969571)
No harm in waiting until the timing and finances are right.

When The Force Is With You, you will know it . . .

:sorcerer:

OTRA15 07-04-2017 03:32 AM

Please consider that you started a new trip [of AS ownership] a while ago, and that the physical trailer is but a small part of the journey.

It will all work out!

Peter

From Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck:

“Once a journey is designed, equipped, and put in process, a new factor enters and takes over. A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. Tour masters, schedules, reservations, brass-bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the personality of the trip. Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the glass bum relax and go along with it. Only then do the frustrations fall away. In this a journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” [emphasis added]

reverie room 07-04-2017 03:39 AM

[QUOTE=OTRA15;1972190]Please consider that you started a new trip [of AS ownership] a while ago, and that the physical trailer is but a small part of the journey.

It will all work out!

Peter

Thank you Peter :-)
I appreciate the encouragement, and also the suggestion to not force things. The Steinbeck quote is beautiful. Happy 4th.

Rocinante 07-04-2017 09:52 AM

Yep, don't force it. Regarding your salesperson, "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."

If things aren't aligning for this season, then by all means line up all the plans and ideas for early next spring, when your dealer may be hungrier and therefore more attentive. Perhaps a different salesperson will be better at closing.

Who knows, by then maybe you'll have worked out a plan for having a tow vehicle.

Meanwhile, maybe you can work out an opportunity to rent an RV for a week and go have some fun. It won't be an Airstream, but you'll be in an RV, and you'll be camping. ;)

Boxite 07-04-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 1971755)
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. ,,,

Bob

Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.

xrvr 07-04-2017 05:15 PM

Thread drift, frustrating.

reverie room 07-04-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avionstream (Post 1972518)
Thread drift, frustrating.

Sorry you feel that way. I am so incredibly grateful for all the help and advice I've received in this thread. It's a huge purchase and not without issues that feel a bit insurmountable as I learning from those with more experience. The thread has evolved (for me as OP) rather than crept.

OTRA15 07-04-2017 07:09 PM

RR -- You started this thread, so please don't feel you need to apologize for anything. It is a very helpful thread, and reflects real life events we have all gone through, including some of the "alleged" drifting and detours in the exact topics under discussion.

Did you ever see the movie Grumpy Old Men with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon?

:innocent:

AirUSN 07-04-2017 11:10 PM

Congrats!

Great read for a newbie like me. I've spent the past 3 nights reading post after post.

I'm subscribing to this story to read about the happy ending and next chapter.

The one theme I keep reading is when it's the 'right' time for the new owner to finally get their AS it starts a new chapter in life.

I look forward to reading your next chapter once the new AS is ready.

I'm looking at a 2007 Safari 25FB twin; but also finding out on here the problem points as well. Rethinking used vs. old. ($25500). Yesterday the sales person wanted me to put a deposit, (I'm back on topic) saying they would match my deposit up to $500. I didn't take the bait.

He did quote a for a '17 FC 27FB $93903 down to 77900.

This was over the phone, but I didn't jump on that offer. I'm in no rush, but I just trying figure out my next chapter myself.

@reverie room

You must post pictures once your all set up. :flowers:

OTRA15 07-05-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1972514)

The refundable deposit was for the old dealer in Chicago -- see OP.

The new dealer is in Ohio, I believe.

The discussion has taken some turns in the road, similar to a good camping trip, but has always ended up heading back toward the original destination.

No worries . . .

:wally:

PS -- AirUSN, welcome to the forum! Have you checked the classifieds here for a used AS near you? [See tab at the top of the page.] We almost bought one that way years ago, but a dealer put a new prior-year model on sale, so we grabbed it. Similarly, the 2018 models are starting to come out, so the 2017 models might be lower in price soon IMO. Good luck!

uncle_bob 07-05-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1972514)

Hi

... and it seems that specific deposit was refunded a few pages back.

Bob

AirUSN 07-05-2017 09:23 AM

Agree. I was kinda being cheeky with "back in topic" remark given the topic had a little trailer sway going on.

I've been looking at classifieds for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

I noticed last a night dealer had one posted as a demo. (Not on the classified on the dealer site). I was reviewing the various dealer references above and stalking their inventory.

reverie room 07-05-2017 11:37 AM

I wrote another email to the salesman yesterday expecting he would get it today and respond accordingly. I expressed my dissatisfaction with his lack of follow through and lack of communication.

As you might suspect, I never heard from him. I just called the manager and canceled the sale. He was gracious about it. I'm equal parts bereft and relieved.

If this thread did anything, it opened my eyes to how to go about this the right way. It would have been easier if it were meant to be.

Thank you all. Your advice will guide me to do things in a more thoughtful (and successful) way in the future.

All of this fuels me to get an AS but work out TV and other details first.

OTRA15 07-05-2017 12:54 PM

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, and I can relate to your disappointment!

When one door closes, another opens . . .

Personally I would recommend contacting Colonial Airstream and make the trip there. The new model year is out, so earlier models may be well priced. Patrick Botticelli has been helpful in the past FWIW.

Good luck!

Peter

AirUSN 07-05-2017 12:58 PM

Found a new site today - you may already be aware if it.

rtv.com

Rocinante 07-05-2017 03:21 PM

When it's time, it will be time. Meanwhile, keep your eyes peeled for a gently-used trailer in your size / condition / price range. If you move quickly and carefully enough, avoiding any potential scams, you might be able to score a hit. ;)

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:25 PM

Rocinante, I will most assuredly do that...And now with a better understanding of the process. Thank you!

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:25 PM

hi AirUSN, Thanks for the tip... I tried the website and didn't find anything. Could you provide a link? Thank you!

reverie room 07-05-2017 07:29 PM

hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit... My summer is taking a bit of a turn compared to what I thought it would be but I do believe what you said "when one door closes, another opens..." I think living in a climate like New England where the weather comes and you blink, it is gone, that I should have started searching with such determination far earlier than June. Now I know. I am happy to have found so many helpful and friendly people here on air forums, so that is a silver lining to this whole sorted matter. :-)

Troutboy 07-05-2017 07:49 PM

Good luck Reverie!!! It will work out when the time is right. Don't rush it, let it come to you. That's what we did. A twist here, a turn there, then it works out and you pull the trigger. I think you did the right thing, I know it feels bad but your guy was telling you it wasn't time. Keep researching and learning.

SeaLevel 07-05-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1973113)
hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit.

Just FYI... we got what I think was a good deal on our AS from Colonial in December. I suspect that's an off month for them, unless lots of people get Airstreams for Christmas. :D

uncle_bob 07-06-2017 08:59 AM

Hi

From what I've seen, the whole idea that "this dealer has the best prices" is only true on a given day and a specific trailer. They all seem to be willing to get within 2% or so of each other on a "typical" deal. Inventory does vary day to day, so who has what is a variable. Does delivery from afar cost more than 2%? Maybe not, but it does eat into any savings. With most dealers, you will only see the "good price" once you have decided on a specific trailer / car / truck. That's just part of the process. There are some very sound reasons they operate this way.

You *can* get service just about anywhere. You are likely to do a bit better at the dealer that sold you the trailer / car / truck. If nothing else, you will know more people there (to appeal to) when you hit a snag.

Recognize the difference between "shopping mode" and "buying mode". You may shop for something for years. It's what lets you narrow down to a specific item. No commitments in shopping mode. In buying mode, you want everything to go quickly. That might still be months on a special order. It might be a week or less on a stock or used trailer. (inventory goes quick).

Lots of fun !!

Bob

jcanavera 07-07-2017 06:25 AM

When you live afar from any dealership, shopping price is always a good option. However if you have a more local dealership available understand that a local purchase may have its advantages. One of the things is that when obtaining service, a dealer knows if you bought the trailer from them. That speaks volumes when attempting to schedule repairs, costs of parts and accessories, and dealer involvement with Jackson Center with warranty issues. That relationship with that local dealer may come into play over the years of ownership, from giving you discounts and service preference when things break, to their knowledge of you as a customer and the condition of your trailer at trade in time. Those are all "after the sale benefits" that accrue over time.

Jack

Boxite 07-07-2017 05:55 PM

AirUSN wrote: "I'm looking at a 2007 Safari 25FB twin; but also finding out on here the problem points as well. Rethinking used vs. old. ($25500). Yesterday the sales person wanted me to put a deposit, (I'm back on topic) saying they would match my deposit up to $500. I didn't take the bait.

He did quote a for a '17 FC 27FB $93903 down to 77900."

I suggest you offer to place a 50% - down deposit. :lol::lol::lol: (Oh..wait... they'll only go up to $500 .... darn!)

uncle_bob 07-08-2017 08:40 AM

Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob

reverie room 07-09-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 1974319)
Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob

When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!

uncle_bob 07-10-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverie room (Post 1974801)
When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!

Hi

That's pretty typical. The "deposit" is actually just part of the negotiation process.

Bob

rmkrum 07-10-2017 11:18 AM

Psychological technique to make you feel locked into completing a deal...

xrvr 07-10-2017 11:20 AM

It also shows if the customer is serious about buying.