Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   Awning Set-up Problem (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/awning-set-up-problem-168201.html)

Kellycanoe 06-12-2017 11:18 AM

Awning Set-up Problem

Hi there,

I'm not sure if there is a repair forum that would be a more appropriate place to post my question, but maybe someone here can help. I have a 2015 22FB Sport that I purchased new. Because of all sorts of unexpected events, I have yet to get out with it more than a few times but I'm hoping that will change! But that means that I'm still an AS newbie even though my AS is 2 years old.

As I went about spring maintenance, I discovered that there's a problem with the Zip-Dee awning. This is the model with curved end arms. When I roll out the awning, I find the rafter arms are about an inch too long to hook on the ends of the roller -- as if it should be possible to roll the awning out about another inch. If I extend the rafter arms to the first locking position (first "click"), they extend past the roller. If I hook them onto the roller just short of that first click, there is enough tension to hold the awning in place but I'm sure a stiff breeze would change that!

I used the AS so few times in the past two years, and often didn't need to set up the awning, that I can't be absolutely sure this is a new problem. As a newbie, it's possible I didn't notice the rafter arm wasn't clicking into place.

Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this, or do I need to get it back to the dealer? On a scale of 1 to 10 where 0 = utterly dangerous around workshop tools and 10 = the neighbor you call on for your DIY repairs, I'm a 3.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

dmbecke 06-12-2017 11:31 AM

You should be able to push the awning out with one hand while placing the hook one arm on.
Do this one side at a time

larry9000 06-12-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellycanoe (Post 1962224)
When I roll out the awning, I find the rafter arms are about an inch too long to hook on the ends of the roller -- as if it should be possible to roll the awning out about another inch. If I extend the rafter arms to the first locking position (first "click"), they extend past the roller.

I'll be interested in the responses. We have a similar issue with our newly acquired 2006 Bambi. It appears the rafter arms have spring tension where they will collapse the 1" in order to fit- but it took incredible force to make them do so. We had them unlocked, but in place, and then forced them out until there was a click into place. It took so much force, I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.

CRH 06-12-2017 12:04 PM

Watch the Zip Dee set up video online.

jdalrymple 06-12-2017 12:21 PM

The hooks on the ends of the rafter arms are spring loaded.

One should pull the locking pin at allow the rafter to slide freely, then place the hook on the roller

Then grasp the rafter sleeve and push it out until it locks under spring tension on the roller. I would say with a bit of force, but don't over do it.

Watch this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsKflCqhkY

Regards,

JD

AirstreamCSH 06-12-2017 12:24 PM

You are probably trying to place them on the pin mid point instead of on the very end of the rollup bar that holds the fabric.

Kellycanoe 06-13-2017 10:21 AM

Jdalrymple, thanks for the YouTube link.

I see now that I have to hook the rafter arm on, and THEN pull until it clicks. Unfortunately, the person making the video says to use your weight to do this, because of how strong the spring is. He has a 100-lb weight and 10" height advantage over me, so he makes it look easy! I found that I can do it by getting on a ladder and throwing my weight away from the rafter but this seems a rather extreme measure.

I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to reduce the spring tension?

Thanks!

Kelly

HiHoAgRV 06-13-2017 05:52 PM

Click the arms on the roller axle and pull against the spring BEFORE you raise up the awning.

AWCHIEF 06-13-2017 06:06 PM

I use a step stool to have enough leverage to fully extend the arms.

jdalrymple 06-13-2017 07:28 PM

The spring tension is there to keep the awning taught in the wind and under the weight of any rain while allowing a little flex.

A a quick jerking action on the sleeve, instead of a slow strong push, works the best. Stand under the rafter and pretend you are stabbing someone with a spear.

Make sure you do this with the main arms at the lowest, most retracted position.

Regards,

JD

thiel 06-13-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH (Post 1962264)
You are probably trying to place them on the pin mid point instead of on the very end of the rollup bar that holds the fabric.

I do this EVERY TIME! I have a real mental block about it.

Farmer Dan 06-13-2017 08:03 PM

Spray a shot of silicone on the spring / slide area at the end of the rafter arm. That will help a lot. Then use the "spearing" motion to tighten them after placed on the awning and before raising.

Dan

twbucksr 06-14-2017 11:10 AM

I pull the hook rod (female) off the trailer rod (male) to clean all parts and silicone and operate the crap out of the spring mechanism and pull buttons twice a year. My wife can deploy the awning by herself to the first click with little effort.